Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, it's not even as dumb as it might look, and brings Broly more in line with the theme of the series; that people have to choose to be truly evil.

And that they can be redeemed by being punched really really hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

wdarkk posted:

Honestly Frieza's scenes in Broly are just the best. It's like they're daring Team Fourstar to make a funnier joke.

Funny Frieza is best Frieza.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Hi. I don't know who Broly is and I never finished illegally downloading the Cell saga 15 years ago in college. Also, the lack of Bruce Faulconer music kind of throws me off.

Is this movie for me?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Just watch DBZ abridged and you're good.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Beachcomber posted:

Hi. I don't know who Broly is and I never finished illegally downloading the Cell saga 15 years ago in college. Also, the lack of Bruce Faulconer music kind of throws me off.

Is this movie for me?

Yes. Outside of a couple meta jokes, there's no need to know who Broly is prior (and not knowing the character beforehand might make the movie even better).

Regarding music, DBS: Broly's score is kind of out of the ordinary for the franchise, and I'd call it a middle ground between Faulconer and the original stylistically. You'll dig it if you're a Faulconer fan.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
That said, you should really at least wikipedia through the post-Cell canon material, because one thing from the Buu saga (the Fusion Dance) is a huge deal in the movie and not super well-explained, and the movie makes a bunch of offhanded references to stuff from Super that'll leave you extremely lost if you're unfamiliar.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Beachcomber posted:

Is this movie for me?

He’s probably the dumbest character in the entire franchise (though I haven’t watched anything of Super, so I don’t know if that still holds true).

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Goku's pretty fuckin' dumb. At one point in Super, Goku, a grandfather, sees a couple kiss each other and is perplexed by what that was.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

That "kiss" scene is meant to be a joke about how he misunderstands Vegeta, making Vegeta think he doesn't know what a kiss is. People have really hooked onto this misread of it though.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Vegeta once put a pacifier in his mouth to stop himself from phasing out of existence, and he wasn't embarrassed about the affair until he learned pacifiers are for babies. Vegeta had a 12-year-old son by this point. so he should have known.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Vegeta once put a pacifier in his mouth to stop himself from phasing out of existence, and he wasn't embarrassed about the affair until he learned pacifiers are for babies. Vegeta had a 12-year-old son by this point. so he should have known.

Vegeta wasn't around his kid that much when he was young enough to need a pacier, he didn't become a good father who was an active part of his families life until after Goku died the second time.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

That said, you should really at least wikipedia through the post-Cell canon material, because one thing from the Buu saga (the Fusion Dance) is a huge deal in the movie and not super well-explained, and the movie makes a bunch of offhanded references to stuff from Super that'll leave you extremely lost if you're unfamiliar.

I am extremely weird in that I've seen the Buu saga up to where he reincarnates and Goku takes him off to "train". But nothing after that, and nothing between Android 18 showing up and the beginning of the story where Babidi makes Vegeta evil again.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I remember, without googling:

Goku as a kid with a tail, doing some tournament stuff? Mr. Satan was there.

Roshii being on an island, maybe a turtle shell? Dude's horny AF

Bulma. Capsule corp. A lot of capsule corp stuff just, like, all over the place. Also, Bulma had curly hair at one point. Training in a gravity spaceship?

Frieza being a poo poo and cutting Krillin in half. Then Frieza got killed and dissolved. Also I thought Frieza was a woman.

Vegeta + Bulma, V wearing a pink T-shirt.

The Androids, something about Future Trunks (maybe this was a movie?). They were bad, now they're good, Krillin his horny for 18.

Somewhere in the above, a movie involving the Spirit Bomb and a bigass tree \o/

The entirety of the Cell saga from start to finish, for some reason.

Fat buu, then evil ripped buu, and then a kid named Uub that has some connection? There were "M"s on people's foreheads for some reason (even Vegeta?). IDK this is where I kinda fell off.

Afterwards, there was a sequel called Kai (I think?), and the dragon balls themselves were spread over different planets or something and also Goku had his tail back? I watched like two episodes and that's it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Kai is just a heavily edited version of DBZ.

Uub is from Dragonball GT, which is a weird non-canon / alternate timeline / whatever thing that isn't relevant to anything that's happened to the series in years. It's got Vegeta with a Freddie Mercury-looking mustache, though, possibly its one contribution of any worth.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think GT is also where Vegeta gets roped into taking his daughter shopping.

Basically usually the only good parts of non-cannon Dragonball are "Vegeta: Hapless Family Man"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Barudak posted:

Basically usually the only good parts of non-cannon Dragonball are "Vegeta: Hapless Family Man"

https://twitter.com/wildbergerrrr/status/1087368424009940993?s=21

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Barudak posted:

A lot of the filler episodes where the Dragonball characters are just goofing around and living their regular lives are amazing.

Like that time Goku and Piccolo tried to get their driver's licences, or that time Goku's tractor broke and he went out to find some way to fix it and this ended up happening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8Rh3nfesHo

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

GT was basically when Toriyama was sick of DBZ and dealing with executives, so he deliberately tell them the most ridiculous things because he just stopped giving a gently caress at that point.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Robindaybird posted:

GT was basically when Toriyama was sick of DBZ and dealing with executives, so he deliberately tell them the most ridiculous things because he just stopped giving a gently caress at that point.

Toriyama only gave the series its title and contributed some art. He didn't actually do anything with the plot and left that up to Toei Animation.

He allowed them to make it, but yah, all the weird poo poo that happens in it is what happens when the creator is largely not involved.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
That... explains a lot. Thank you! I wondered why GT felt so different.

No, the best comeback in that vintage of anime is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Iiv1rGlA8s

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Freiza being alive again is weirding me out. Are they going to bring back nappa and raditz too?

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

A lot of the filler episodes where the Dragonball characters are just goofing around and living their regular lives are amazing.

Like that time Goku and Piccolo tried to get their driver's licences, or that time Goku's tractor broke and he went out to find some way to fix it and this ended up happening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8Rh3nfesHo

This 100%. Though I think it’s charm is also due to the fact that you’re watching these slice of life episodes while in the back of your mind thinking “These people could destroy entire galaxies.”

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
That loving tractor scene :lol:

AAAAAIFORgotmytractoraaaaaa

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Uncle Wemus posted:

Freiza being alive again is weirding me out. Are they going to bring back nappa and raditz too?

Nah, they aren't even close to being as popular as Frieza. Like, when people start writing metal songs like this about Nappa and Raditz then maybe Toei will consider writing a whole movie about bringing them back to life: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWtft3POQPs

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

dirksteadfast posted:

This 100%. Though I think it’s charm is also due to the fact that you’re watching these slice of life episodes while in the back of your mind thinking “These people could destroy entire galaxies.”

And it helps that they're a bunch of goofy and quirky people on their own right who also happen to have martial arts superpowers, and a long history of adventures in a big weird world.

Jaco is a surprisingly good addition to the show.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Isn’t that the deal with Dragonball Super? Someone told me it’s basically all that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Isn’t that the deal with Dragonball Super? Someone told me it’s basically all that.

Nah, its still a shitload of fighting the people came to see* it just has more comedy episodes and time for people who arent goku to do things.

*Seriously if you dont mind spoilers cities in mexico showed the final episode in public squares and the videos of the crowds hype for the ending of the series is incredible.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dragon Ball Super seems to have pacing that's a world above DBZ. It's got an almost seasonal structure, which major arcs shifting between dramatic and light fun (though still leading into one another) and 'filler' between them that leans more to the slice-of-life comedy and some mini-arcs that give secondary characters time in the spotlight.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
SUper also revives the orignal Dragonball trope of too many tournaments.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
So does ADTRW have a Dragonball megathread full of posts about Western animation or what.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

A dragonball movie is the number 1 animated film in america let them have this

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

But I thought spiderverse was still playing?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The_Doctor posted:

Super is a mixed bag (although, personally, I liked almost all of it), but it does indeed have some of the best slice of life moments in the entire series. Highlights include: the baseball episode, anytime Piccolo interacts with his granddaughter Pan, and Goku learning to farm.

Whoever told you it's basically all that is lying though, it's still got all the good old fashion punchy goodness you could ever want.

SolarFire2 posted:

SUper also revives the orignal Dragonball trope of too many tournaments.

True, but the Tournament of Power was one of my favorite arc of all time so I forgive it for that.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I went to the Lego Movie 2 advance screening Warner Brothers had. It was good! Not as good as the first one, but still good.

There were more songs than I expected.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

asecondduck posted:

So I went to the Lego Movie 2 advance screening Warner Brothers had. It was good! Not as good as the first one, but still good.

There were more songs than I expected.

that tracks for me.

they were way closer to winning an Oscar for Best Song than for Best Animated Feature

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Guy Mann posted:

So does ADTRW have a Dragonball megathread full of posts about Western animation or what.

It's almost like this is a thread for talking about animated movies

Y'know. The thing that DBS: Broly is

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I really want to see it. But I have a thing about being in public in general, and then seeing that movie. Though I guess I could buy the tickets online?

First world problem.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's almost like this is a thread for talking about animated movies

Y'know. The thing that DBS: Broly is

DBS: Broly is a documentary thank you very much.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Queen Combat posted:

I really want to see it. But I have a thing about being in public in general, and then seeing that movie. Though I guess I could buy the tickets online?

First world problem.

Buy the tickets online, go to a late night screening?

DBS does the tournaments a bit better too in that the two so far have been very different from each other, and they bring back the great Dragon Ball tradition of using them to introduce all kinds of new characters at once, as well as forcing the characters to switch up their usual tactics to follow different rules. And introducing some characters potentially on the level of Goku and Vegeta but in completely different ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
LEGO Movie 2 was about a half step behind the first but overall still worth a theater visit for anyone who enjoyed the first. The plot goes a little more crazy, and some characters don’t get enough love (less Batman more Unikitty and Bennie goddamn it) but even as someone who is on the record as anti-musical I enjoyed the songs after I warmed up to their style.