Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, and the fungus people don’t have access to the hordes of disposable soldiers like Cultists do, but instead, they can put fungal blooms on ruins to turn them into troop teleporter s, so their forces can deploy all over quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
The temple/ruin teleportation thing comes in pretty handy during their quests, which are pretty cool actually. One has had a pretty big ask, but hey, go big or go home.

Enough teleporters and the world is your playground!

Their troops, if you're curious: moderate strength, squishy ranged dudes, very squishy but hard hitting melee dudes that duel wield like assassins, and big guys that can nail enemies in place. A pretty creative bunch.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

does it say anywhere what the free weekend unlockable content is? i can't find it

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

ES2:

I know it's not been out long but does anybody have any idea how to actually play the Umbral Choir guys?

They only get one cities worth of production and the goal is to make it the most turbo awesome super city because it has to produce just as hard as everybody else's entire empire? And you accomplish this exclusively through hacking?

Early on it seemed really easy to just mindlessly hack everybody else but now most of the time I try and plant sleepers in nearby civs I get counter hacked and they prevent me from doing it. I don't entirely understand the mechanics at play.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Helion posted:

Free amplitude game weekend.

No more EL.

EL2 is not being worked on.

Community game is live by which exploring systems in ES2 unlocks things for everyone.

I think Penumbra is the last for ES2 as well, that part was hard to understand as audio was bad.

No real hints toward the future.

Stream was a bit of a downer for me tbh. I'd love a new game announcement.

A shame. Endless Space 2 doesn't really seem to be growing, there's been very little hype around this release. Hopefully they can find something new that works for them.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Agent355 posted:

ES2:

I know it's not been out long but does anybody have any idea how to actually play the Umbral Choir guys?

They only get one cities worth of production and the goal is to make it the most turbo awesome super city because it has to produce just as hard as everybody else's entire empire? And you accomplish this exclusively through hacking?

Early on it seemed really easy to just mindlessly hack everybody else but now most of the time I try and plant sleepers in nearby civs I get counter hacked and they prevent me from doing it. I don't entirely understand the mechanics at play.

You want to expand out through hacking and plant sanctuaries on planets wherever possible as those are your "colonies." Basically the goal is to get those on as many planets as possible BEFORE another player colonizes it. You see the other player will actually help you create sleepers as it grows your population and it won't know about a sanctuary that existed before they settled. For a long while. Defense/tracebacks are mostly a diceroll but there's techs that will influence it in yours or their favor. Throw a defensive program or two on nodes between your target and the enemy. These will make it much harder for them to actually trace back all the way and help you avoid the penalties.

BE VERY CAREFUL HACKING PIRATES. Those guy start out as hardened targets. Diplomacy is a better option when you can.

Also make sure you use the "terraforming" upgrades on your home system. It builds more pop cap so you don't suffer the overcrowded penalty.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Helion posted:

Free amplitude game weekend.

No more EL.

EL2 is not being worked on.

Community game is live by which exploring systems in ES2 unlocks things for everyone.

I think Penumbra is the last for ES2 as well, that part was hard to understand as audio was bad.

No real hints toward the future.

Stream was a bit of a downer for me tbh. I'd love a new game announcement.

Jesus. What did they even do a stream for?

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Does anyone understand hacking level? For example, sometimes I can place a sanctuary through hacking, and sometimes I can't.

One awesome thing I haven't seen mentioned: ships you produce at your home planet can slide right out at a sanctuary of your choice, which is slick as hell.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Avasculous posted:

Jesus. What did they even do a stream for?

Yeah, the surprise seems to be that they are closing up shop.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I watched a bit of the stream and there was nothing about ES2 coming to an end? They sounded pretty hopeful about more dlcs

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Helion posted:

Does anyone understand hacking level? For example, sometimes I can place a sanctuary through hacking, and sometimes I can't.

Sanctuaries require 2 sleeper agents if it's an enemy system that doesn't already have a sanctuary. I do not understand Hacking level though, or how I'm supposed to defend myself from tracing.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

Amethyst posted:

I watched a bit of the stream and there was nothing about ES2 coming to an end? They sounded pretty hopeful about more dlcs

I guess I misunderstood. The audio was not great. So, that is good news!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Urkans, the giant bug things introduced in Symbiosis, are basically either mobile cities that suck up resources and buff nearby cities, or big goddamn mobile armies that automatically make their own troops that hit HARD. Controlling them is pretty great with the Mycolin since it's the only way to get more than one territory besides direct conquest and also it boosts their resource intake, since one of their weaknesses is slow resource accumulation.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

Clarste posted:

Sanctuaries require 2 sleeper agents if it's an enemy system that doesn't already have a sanctuary. I do not understand Hacking level though, or how I'm supposed to defend myself from tracing.

Thank you!

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

What's the deal with umbral chior "owned" systems? It says population comes from the home system but the home system just puts pops on the little orbiting thingies around the special node? I'm confused about the point of owning systems in the first place besides hacking nodes. What happens if an enemy puts down an outpost?

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
The fanbase seems kinda small

Concurrent player count was hovering around 1.5k in the last 3 months.
https://steamcharts.com/app/392110

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

the panacea posted:

The fanbase seems kinda small

Concurrent player count was hovering around 1.5k in the last 3 months.
https://steamcharts.com/app/392110

4X niche is pretty small, you have civ and stellaris, then this in distant third, it seems.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
They need more hyperintelligent pugs to draw in new players. Got me into DotE and their games as a whole.

Downloaded ES2 since it's the free play weekend, and I kinda... hate the tutorial and interface? I have it set on "Played 4X games before" and it just kinda randomly gives me pop-ups and half-hearted guides. I've played Endless Legend so I got most of the interface stuff, but I have actually no drat clue how the combat system works. The ship customization icons all being tiny variations of each other is also annoying.

Also for some reason every faction window (meet a new faction, meet a minor faction) will just flicker across my screen then insta-close for no reason, despite my settings saying to show them.

I feel like I'm missing something.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

OK I figured it out, putting those beacons on special nodes gives you the benefit of owning the special node. +50 science of whatever. Definitely worth doing.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah Sanctuaries are basically colonies that give you resources. They can even exist on planets another race controls (where I think you benefit from any upgrades the rival colony builds)

Beacons let you have the bonus from a special node and also let you relocate your home system (at a price depending on how long you wait to move after setup) if it's found out

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Beacons seem really strong. Set one up early game in a 50 science system and it was a huge booster.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I think my big problem with this game, after 60 hours of playing, is that you really only rarely have to interact with other empires at all. I always play on impossible difficulty and they are all really predictable. What you're really fighting against is learning the gigantic set of mechanics. Once that's done most games feel the same, even with radically different races like the UC.

EDIT: This isn't a strong complaint, really, since learning the game genuinely is fun. But I feel like I"m kinda done with it after half a game of this DLC.

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jan 25, 2019

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Archenteron posted:

They need more hyperintelligent pugs to draw in new players. Got me into DotE and their games as a whole.

Downloaded ES2 since it's the free play weekend, and I kinda... hate the tutorial and interface? I have it set on "Played 4X games before" and it just kinda randomly gives me pop-ups and half-hearted guides. I've played Endless Legend so I got most of the interface stuff, but I have actually no drat clue how the combat system works. The ship customization icons all being tiny variations of each other is also annoying.

Also for some reason every faction window (meet a new faction, meet a minor faction) will just flicker across my screen then insta-close for no reason, despite my settings saying to show them.

I feel like I'm missing something.

True, the genre itself is kinda niche too I suppose. 150 views is just very sad.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

It's definitely a medium-size fish in a small pond, I love the series and I think it's one of the more approachable in the genre but even then, EL has a metric ton of content and systems to navigate and figure out.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
I just have no idea how to hack efficiently. I don't notice accelerators do anything. Stuff that increases enemy bandwidth use seems worthless. They constantly trace me and I see no way to stop it: I've tried short and long range traces and see no reason to ever pick long range. Putting defensive programs might slow enemy hacking, but nothing seems to stop traces. They just seen random.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Okay so I just won a game with the choir and here's some general stuff that seems good.

Defensive programs don't stop traces at all, they only stop offensive hacking.

Traces only start once you reach the final node and then they have to travel all the way back to the origin node before your hack completes.

So if you want to beat traces you have to hack the final point quickly (offensive programs can help) and start the hack from far away. Early game I tended to hack from 2-3 nodes away and didn't get traced very often. Late game I'd hack from the closest node because I had a bunch of hacking speed upgrades (the one you get for 50 pop is BIG) and I'd beat out the enemy trace probably 60% of the time and 39% of the time they'd trace me but I'd get the hack off anyway (I think this is what happens when you complete the trace and hack on the same turn). Very very rarely they'd just beat me entirely.

Other general stuff for choir:

per planet upgrades are incredibly powerful as all the planets you hack count even if you don't have any pop on them.

Being able to put sanctuaries down before civs colonize the systems is way easier than planting sleepers, so rushing the colonization tech is super helpful.

You need a ton of population to keep up with other civs, which means a ton of food production. Pops that you put on Sanctuaries have to be fed food to survive while pops on your home planet don't (or maybe it's just less idk). This means early game you want to only put pop on the homeworld so you can start ramping quicker. I had all 5 planets maximum terraformed and full before I had a single pop in a sanctuary.

If you get blocked in by pirates or other civs who won't let you easily hack them or go past them to unoccupied systems it's easier to hack them just once and put in a backdoor and use them as a hacking source to get to the tasty unoccupied nodes, than it is to hack them twice to put sleepers and a third time to make a sanctuary to act as an origin.

The AI can't put defensive programs on every single system they control, until late game prob, so if you find an unprotected one it's easy to just hack it like crazy.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

the panacea posted:

True, the genre itself is kinda niche too I suppose. 150 views is just very sad.

No one's going to look at the twitch VOD for an announcement stream where they didn't announce anything

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Agent355 posted:

Okay so I just won a game with the choir and here's some general stuff that seems good.

Defensive programs don't stop traces at all, they only stop offensive hacking.

Traces only start once you reach the final node and then they have to travel all the way back to the origin node before your hack completes.

So if you want to beat traces you have to hack the final point quickly (offensive programs can help) and start the hack from far away. Early game I tended to hack from 2-3 nodes away and didn't get traced very often. Late game I'd hack from the closest node because I had a bunch of hacking speed upgrades (the one you get for 50 pop is BIG) and I'd beat out the enemy trace probably 60% of the time and 39% of the time they'd trace me but I'd get the hack off anyway (I think this is what happens when you complete the trace and hack on the same turn). Very very rarely they'd just beat me entirely.

Other general stuff for choir:

per planet upgrades are incredibly powerful as all the planets you hack count even if you don't have any pop on them.

Being able to put sanctuaries down before civs colonize the systems is way easier than planting sleepers, so rushing the colonization tech is super helpful.

You need a ton of population to keep up with other civs, which means a ton of food production. Pops that you put on Sanctuaries have to be fed food to survive while pops on your home planet don't (or maybe it's just less idk). This means early game you want to only put pop on the homeworld so you can start ramping quicker. I had all 5 planets maximum terraformed and full before I had a single pop in a sanctuary.

If you get blocked in by pirates or other civs who won't let you easily hack them or go past them to unoccupied systems it's easier to hack them just once and put in a backdoor and use them as a hacking source to get to the tasty unoccupied nodes, than it is to hack them twice to put sleepers and a third time to make a sanctuary to act as an origin.

The AI can't put defensive programs on every single system they control, until late game prob, so if you find an unprotected one it's easy to just hack it like crazy.

How do you put pops on sanctuaries? I must be real dumb but I can't figure this out

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hmmmmm. I'm still not sure how Urkans make more Lice. I'm guessing it's automatic since I see no command for it, but when is the question. Is it when they're in Army mode, or do they generate their own if still in City Mode?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Amethyst posted:

How do you put pops on sanctuaries? I must be real dumb but I can't figure this out

They're automatically allocated to them when your main system is full.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Clarste posted:

They're automatically allocated to them when your main system is full.

Thanks. Do you need to have all of the little satellites in your home system filled before this will happen or can you keep your home system sitting on one satellite?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Amethyst posted:

Thanks. Do you need to have all of the little satellites in your home system filled before this will happen or can you keep your home system sitting on one satellite?

When you home system can't hold more people they'll go, whether you've created all the satellites or not (which you should because pops in sanctuaries give poo poo for food).

You can also force them to go to a particular sanctuary before your home system is full (or force it to prioritize one sanctuary over the others) by using the option in the bottom left of the system screen. Same spot you'd normally send pops between systems if you were playing one of the other factions. This is the same menu where you select where the ships you produce appear at (so whoever you select gets pop AND ships).

I really only used it to funnel ships around where I needed them, otherwise I just let my home system fill up first and then send people out to whatever sanctuaries it wanted.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Won a game with the Choir. They have a real neat aesthetic and storyline but I really dig the Mykara.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Mykara are pretty badass. Fragile on the defensive side mostly, got a crippling -50% to all resources in their city (so I countered it by assimilating the Harmonites and Dorgeshi) but they just FEEL so fresh from the rest.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

so is the umbral choir a fairly distinct playstyle, then? i really enjoy it when factions have pretty unique ways of going about things and definitely want to pick up this dlc, i think.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

so is the umbral choir a fairly distinct playstyle, then? i really enjoy it when factions have pretty unique ways of going about things and definitely want to pick up this dlc, i think.

It's a totally different playstyle, but after playing a single game with them I'm not sure it's actually any fun. Basically you're totally invisible to everyone and usually not really interacting with the world except by hacking. It's kind of a strange feeling in a 4X game.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Anyone played against them yet? Are the AI even capable of using them?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Speedball posted:

The Mykara are pretty badass. Fragile on the defensive side mostly, got a crippling -50% to all resources in their city (so I countered it by assimilating the Harmonites and Dorgeshi) but they just FEEL so fresh from the rest.

No surprise from FlyByNo either but their themes are bloody excellent.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
I was faffing about with the Mages, my weakest faction, and sucking as usual. To my surprise, the Kapaku, who were doing great, offered me open borders in exchange for attacking the Allayi. I've never had something like that happen before. I agreed, took a city after some hard fighting, and truced out. Then the Kapaku offered an alliance! Is this something you guys see much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...
Haven’t interacted with an Urkan yet, but saw something about bribing them somewhere - how does this work? Do I need Language Square like with minor faction villages?