Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Some Guy TT posted:

stormtroopers are actually perfectly good shots they let everyone escape on purpose so they could follow leia to the rebel base the dialog explicitly says this yet somehow stormtroopers cant aim is the biggest plot hole of all time

They still got owned in an afternoon by a bunch of teddy bears.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

stormtroopers are actually perfectly good shots they let everyone escape on purpose so they could follow leia to the rebel base the dialog explicitly says this yet somehow stormtroopers cant aim is the biggest plot hole of all time

Probably because they spent the next two movies missing everyone and everything

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Maybe years of shooting lasers has left them blind. For that matter, how are the heroes able to see anything without wearing shades all the time?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Breakfast All Day posted:

should probably be a thread like the #woke thread on this stuff and the delicate related topics around creating a sort of cultural autism (would happily adopt a less loaded term) where people become unable to infer internal states and motivations of characters without these cartoonish cues even in other braindead popular media, also probably related to the division of attention in the netflix + phone national ritual, and how this plays out socially and politically

theres a reddit (lol) that people send me stuff from sometimes thats movie secrets or something, that's literally just C-student reading comprehension of movies, like "in pulp fiction, there's a case that all the characters want, but if you pay attention its never actually shown what's in the case!" or "in wall-e, the humans in the future are fat because they've become complacent and lazy!". people construct their entire identities around movie consumption but either fail or are disinterested to have even a child's understanding of the sequence of events they're watching

nerds obsessing with "decoding" production details for deep meaning in films while getting incensed at people who do interpretive reading of films' thematic content was bad enough, but at least that was some kind of active engagement, instead of "in star wars, leia actually knew there wasnt a rebel base on dantooine, she just wanted to mislead darth vader!"

i'm inclined to agree with this, particularly regarding basic critical analysis and examining what ideas a show perpetuates or what the ideological content of a piece of media is. people broadly assume entertainment is an apolitical entity (until it suddenly isn't, but that's a different topic) that merely produces and sells escapist fantasies while being discrete and separate from the rest of society. even though they comprehend these things are commercial ventures and vectors for profit and marketing, the ubiquity of those things ensures everyone in a liberal society accepts them as a feature of life and treats intrusive commercialization like natural law.

generally people aren't amenable to examining how, like, sitcoms perpetuate bourgeois myths about the charming simplicity of proletarian life or the insane right-wing content inherent to police procedurals, etc etc. i posted on a very Liberal subreddit about the weird shift in tone in South Park's recent episodes about global warming, which was unexpected on account of their uninterrupted history of peddling right-wing mythology about trans people, jewish people, black people, global warming, wealth inequality, and vegetarianism while going to bat gendered and other slurs, and virtually any puerile thing you can imagine. despite all that I basically enjoy the show but like, want to acknowledge those characteristics, because any show making jokes about topical issues or attempting to construct narratives about real life is going to have political content, South Park is just exceptionally explicit about it. anyway the response I got from reddit Libs was kind of enlightening, because several people responded confused that you could call South Park "right wing" because they, as Good Liberals, enjoyed it, and most importantly, the creators have said many of their jokes are "just jokes" and thus it is unfair to extrapolate their obvious political implications.

anyway, i've just noticed people aren't interested in that kind of thing about any tv show any I think the world of media criticism has suffered for it. I can't remember the last time I saw a good essay about the inherent authoritarianism of poo poo like Law and Order or less obviously the way "progressive" shows like The Simpsons or NBC sitcoms uncritically reproduce and worship the worst parts of Liberal society

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
The heroes have plot armor. If your name is only mentioned in an EU novel youll probably be shot.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
Here's a little "trick" for you filmgoers: when the credits start, you can leave! You don't have to wait until the screen turns off and you won't hurt the characters feelings.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

The heroes have plot armor. If your name is only mentioned in an EU novel youll probably be shot.

99.9% of all major fiction has a very bourgeois assumption about violence/suffering against major characters being categorically different than the violence/suffering of others and the masses (that's different/beyond just that the suffering of those close to your point of observation is felt more strongly), but that's an all hitherto history type of observation that can spoil your enjoyment of almost anything

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Breakfast All Day posted:

99.9% of all major fiction has a very bourgeois assumption about violence/suffering against major characters being categorically different than the violence/suffering of others and the masses (that's different/beyond just that the suffering of those close to your point of observation is felt more strongly), but that's an all hitherto history type of observation that can spoil your enjoyment of almost anything

it's kind of funny because video games trying to be movies made this all hideously obvious. yes, you shot sixty faceless mooks on the way in here, including that one in a sweet cutscene where you killed him mid-speech to pump up his troops, but now you have to choose to shoot their boss... or not shoot their boss. a MORAL DECISION that SAYS SO MUCH ABOUT YOU!!!!

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

the greatest troll game would be a war shooter where the gameplay lasts for 4-5 hours and then after killing the boss there's a cutscene where you go back home, enjoy your life and you're washing your car in the driveway when the cops arrest you and extradite you to the hague where the second part of the game kicks in, a legal thriller in which you're trying to avoid a life sentence for committing war crimes (and you always get a guilty verdict, unless you pay someone to kill every single witness or something)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i think there was a ww2 strategy game about the eastern front which at the end graded you on how likely you were to get executed after the war

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

not a cult posted:

the greatest troll game would be a war shooter where the gameplay lasts for 4-5 hours and then after killing the boss there's a cutscene where you go back home, enjoy your life and you're washing your car in the driveway when the cops arrest you and extradite you to the hague where the second part of the game kicks in, a legal thriller in which you're trying to avoid a life sentence for committing war crimes (and you always get a guilty verdict, unless you pay someone to kill every single witness or something)

isn't that spec ops: the line

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
one of the few games I'm happy to have worked on

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frog Act posted:

i'm inclined to agree with this, particularly regarding basic critical analysis and examining what ideas a show perpetuates or what the ideological content of a piece of media is. people broadly assume entertainment is an apolitical entity (until it suddenly isn't, but that's a different topic) that merely produces and sells escapist fantasies while being discrete and separate from the rest of society. even though they comprehend these things are commercial ventures and vectors for profit and marketing, the ubiquity of those things ensures everyone in a liberal society accepts them as a feature of life and treats intrusive commercialization like natural law.

generally people aren't amenable to examining how, like, sitcoms perpetuate bourgeois myths about the charming simplicity of proletarian life or the insane right-wing content inherent to police procedurals, etc etc. i posted on a very Liberal subreddit about the weird shift in tone in South Park's recent episodes about global warming, which was unexpected on account of their uninterrupted history of peddling right-wing mythology about trans people, jewish people, black people, global warming, wealth inequality, and vegetarianism while going to bat gendered and other slurs, and virtually any puerile thing you can imagine. despite all that I basically enjoy the show but like, want to acknowledge those characteristics, because any show making jokes about topical issues or attempting to construct narratives about real life is going to have political content, South Park is just exceptionally explicit about it. anyway the response I got from reddit Libs was kind of enlightening, because several people responded confused that you could call South Park "right wing" because they, as Good Liberals, enjoyed it, and most importantly, the creators have said many of their jokes are "just jokes" and thus it is unfair to extrapolate their obvious political implications.

anyway, i've just noticed people aren't interested in that kind of thing about any tv show any I think the world of media criticism has suffered for it. I can't remember the last time I saw a good essay about the inherent authoritarianism of poo poo like Law and Order or less obviously the way "progressive" shows like The Simpsons or NBC sitcoms uncritically reproduce and worship the worst parts of Liberal society

:margeball:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

BULBASAUR posted:

one of the few games I'm happy to have worked on

Tell me more

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Frog Act posted:

i am very tempted to go ahead and start a new thread on the subject but i would want to call it popaganda after that tankie blog i like and i am worried people would make fun of me

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Frog Act posted:

A good post.

Some Guy TT posted:

i am very tempted to go ahead and start a new thread on the subject but i would want to call it popaganda after that tankie blog i like and i am worried people would make fun of me

A lot o posters would probably be on board for that. Propaganda is one of those things people have to really understand before they can resist it and there's a lot of people who don't think it affects them at all. Or that their "dumb popcorn movie" is only that. It can be disheartening asking people where they come by some of their values and they just don't have an answer (most will just say "well, that's just the right/wrong thing to do" even if they don't believe in God or whatever).

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

yeah I’ve been looking for an excuse to get super stoned and make a long post comparing Oz and SVU by looking st Christopher Melonis characters in both so id post in such a thread

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Frog Act posted:

I'm 100% on this train with the media I consume. I really don't give a gently caress about the marxist reading of the Witcher 3, or how the latest battlefield is "problematic." Even though I'm generally sympathetic with those concepts, when I consume media, I am doing it for the express purpose of NOT caring about those things. In the rare case I discuss videogames in the videogames forum, I want to know about the mechanics of the game, not about whatever some arm-chair critic thinks about the representation of women in the new Smash Brothers game.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I'm 100% on this train with the media I consume. I really don't give a gently caress about the marxist reading of the Witcher 3, or how the latest battlefield is "problematic." Even though I'm generally sympathetic with those concepts, when I consume media, I am doing it for the express purpose of NOT caring about those things. In the rare case I discuss videogames in the videogames forum, I want to know about the mechanics of the game, not about whatever some arm-chair critic thinks about the representation of women in the new Smash Brothers game.

it’s important to understand how elements of liberal capitalism are perpetuated implicitly by the narratives we consume, though lol at your scare quotes around problematic because you’re afraid of consuming your jingoistic fantasies with even the slightest iota of self reflection

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

StashAugustine posted:

i think there was a ww2 strategy game about the eastern front which at the end graded you on how likely you were to get executed after the war

This would be cool.

Frog Act posted:

it’s important to understand how elements of liberal capitalism are perpetuated implicitly by the narratives we consume, though lol at your scare quotes around problematic because you’re afraid of consuming your jingoistic fantasies with even the slightest iota of self reflection

Oh I'm 100% aware of capitalism ruining everything. I just don't have to be reminded about it when I'm trying to escape it. I also don't play videogames for self-reflection purposes, they are literally escapism and the lack of self-reflection is a huge part of the draw.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

it's kind of funny because video games trying to be movies made this all hideously obvious. yes, you shot sixty faceless mooks on the way in here, including that one in a sweet cutscene where you killed him mid-speech to pump up his troops, but now you have to choose to shoot their boss... or not shoot their boss. a MORAL DECISION that SAYS SO MUCH ABOUT YOU!!!!

shoot all bosses

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

that's nice but unfortunately some people don't have that kind of luxury of ignoring bad representation in escapist media because they're the ones being represented badly when they just want to have some fun escapism too

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Discendo Vox posted:

Tell me more

the reason the game ended up good was due in large part to the lead writer, a guy named Walt Williams, who was an acquaintance of mine that pushed through his vision of what the story should be about

he's super nihilistic and I'm from eastern europe, so we got along well. Guy is a talented writer and wrote a book about his experiences:
https://www.amazon.com/Significant-Zero-Heroes-Villains-Fight-ebook/dp/B01MDTK18Z

my best exchange with him was in the recording studio after pulling 6 days of working 20hrs a day (2hrs sleep) on another project. I broke down and vented to him about how poo poo all this was for like $18 an hr. I got up to leave and he told me with a straight face as I left, "hey... it doesn't get any better". I got of games for a while after that :)

we spent some hard time on other projects too, like Bioshock Infinite. My favorite part of that project was when we first got the concept art for Elizabeth (she was supposed to be like 12 in the script) with giant bambi eyes and rocking a huge set of tits. Tight rear end corset, long neck, and heavy makeup. Everyone at the publisher was aghast and we told them they absolutely had to change that poo poo or we wouldn't pay them for the milestone because it made everyone uncomfortable. They later bumped her age up and made her look less like a child prostitute. The games industry is crazy don't work in it

BULBASAUR has issued a correction as of 03:32 on Jan 27, 2019

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

BULBASAUR posted:

we spent some hard time on other projects too, like Bioshock Infinite. My favorite part of that project was when we first got the concept art for Elizabeth (she was supposed to be like 12 in the script) with giant bambi eyes and rocking a huge set of tits. Tight rear end corset, long neck, and heavy makeup. Everyone at the publisher was aghast and we told them they absolutely had to change that poo poo or we wouldn't pay them for the milestone because it made everyone uncomfortable. They later bumped her age up and made her look less like a child prostitute. The games industry is crazy don't work in it

holy poo poo lol

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

holy poo poo lol
:yeah:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

I know the debriefing dialogue after the first Deus Ex mission changes to compliment your lack of kills if you stealth past the enemies or take them out via nonlethal methods.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

super sweet best pal posted:

I know the debriefing dialogue after the first Deus Ex mission changes to compliment your lack of kills if you stealth past the enemies or take them out via nonlethal methods.

Unfortunately that is one of the only parts of the game where that matters. Still a good game though.

Though the gas station level also rewards stealth.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Tyranny is another one of obsidian's flawed gems like alpha protocol, the game's fine, but the combat starts dragging and I wish it was a little more explicitly bronze age, but honestly the way people play it and wrestle with the fact that everything you do is pretty much evil is really fascinating. Tons of people trying to hunt down a "good" ending and rationalizing the pretty evil poo poo they had to do to get their "good" ending is fine.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

IMO, the good ending of Tyranny is to just let the timer tick down on the first decree, accept your fate so your boss can dispose of the leadership of the army's racist and insane killer factions.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

BULBASAUR posted:

Do you know why they decided to make the rebels as bad as the literal slave owners at the last second?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

There's a secret path in Tyranny where you side with the rebels at the start, supposed that's kind of the good ending

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Venom Snake posted:

Do you know why they decided to make the rebels as bad as the literal slave owners at the last second?

I bet because they didn't want to be mistaken for doing a communism

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The main director behind the bioshock series, Ken Levine, is uh not great. Elizabeth still wound up sexualized, as did the daughter in 2. They really wanted both sides of the daughterwifebsexual threat dynamic. It’s hella creepy, in strong contrast to e.g. Dishonoured. Even then, though, there was a whole period of Daughterwives in symbolic sexual peril in games.

Discendo Vox has issued a correction as of 08:00 on Jan 27, 2019

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

witcher 3 probably not worth bothering about battlefied is pro military trash no matter how many women they put on the cover and smash is like the end result of capitalism all the criticisms you mention are cases of missing the forest for the trees and exactly why most critics are considered such a huge joke these days

Frog Act posted:

yeah I’ve been looking for an excuse to get super stoned and make a long post comparing Oz and SVU by looking st Christopher Melonis characters in both so id post in such a thread

this guy gets it

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

more on producing a better quality of thread the op for best games of 2018 was a generally good read with a good summary of how lots of studios went woke only to hilariously have it be revealed that they were gaslighting shitheads to their female employees but then inexplicably describes far cry as a missed opportunity to call trump bad and then unironically praises ea for emphasizing minority and women active combat personnel in battlefield people are so very very close to realizing that the entire apparatus for producing our mindless media is hosed and that woke branding is a thinly veiled means of trying to disguise these systemic flaws but they always pull back because they dont want to acknowledge the problem is more complicated than kicking out a few token racists

now me i dont see the contradiction with looking at both the text and the metatext of any given work of fiction in tandem i honestly find it easier to appreciate that way casablanca is actually a pretty underrated film when you consider the way its subtly pushes the message of how nazis were in fact bad when a couple of years earlier americans were jonesing for president charles lindbergh its a good propaganda movie mainly because no one ever notices that its a propaganda movie

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Discendo Vox posted:

The main director behind the bioshock series, Ken Levine, is uh not great. Elizabeth still wound up sexualized, as did the daughter in 2. They really wanted both sides of the daughterwifebsexual threat dynamic. It’s hella creepy, in strong contrast to e.g. Dishonoured. Even then, though, there was a whole period of Daughterwives in symbolic sexual peril in games.

There really are a lot of cases of authors and entire artistic trends being mistaken for woke when they actually just pander to a different, even skeevier array of fetishes that don't also happen to be played out cliches yet.

Ironically they basically play to nearly all the same fetishes as the kind of anime everyone mocks (adolescent infantilised daughterwives being saved from symbolic sexual peril and other fetishised violence, with a token arc of empowerment after spending 90% of the time pandering) but the boobs aren't as big and the hair is brunette (always brunette, not blonde or red) so obviously they're modest nonsexualised empowered figures, who also take off their shoes for no adequately explained reason

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im old enough to remember when anime was sincerely defended this way in academic and pseudo academic circles which is to say im over the age of thirty

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
https://mobile.twitter.com/MastercardNews/status/1088141019495915520

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Bioshock Infinite is one of my most regretted purchases. poo poo story and the gameplay felt like a step back from Bioshock 1. One of the main reasons I hate reddit is they seem to like that game so much that low effort Bioshock Infinite nostalgia circlejerks get to the front page of /r/gaming easily.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

modest nonsexualised empowered figures, who also take off their shoes for no adequately explained reason