Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

It's like a 19th century rap, pure art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Isn't the (coed) IDF fairly well respected as a fighting force?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XN_qgbM6Dc

"It's really...outdoor-kind-of music"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Exactly 168 years?

Was his diary not dated on the Julian calendar?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Platystemon posted:

Exactly 168 years?

Was his diary not dated on the Julian calendar?

poo poo you're right

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

quote:

there is little or no evidence to support it; nor does it seem to be, or have been, a major problem in non-Western forces such as Hezbollah, Daesh, and, four decades ago, the Viet Cong

Dumbass.

The idea that the Viet Cong didn't suffer from PTSD is absurd.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cessna posted:

Dumbass.

The idea that the Viet Cong didn't suffer from PTSD is absurd.
and isis gobbles meth, it can't just be for the stimulant properties

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
Among all the other things wrong with that rant, studies made by the Norwegian army indicate that the rate of sexual harassment goes down when the number of women in the units goes up.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Guy seems kinda crazy and not the good kind like getting drunk and buying an unneeded horse.

(we've all been there)

e: the drunk purchases, I mean.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Milo and POTUS posted:

Guy seems kinda crazy and not the good kind like getting drunk and buying an unneeded horse.

(we've all been there)

e: the drunk purchases, I mean.
tolstoy on craigslist at three in the morning

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Vaginal Vagrant posted:

Yeah of all the criticisms I've heard leveled at the IDF, competency was probably least among them.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Epicurius posted:

There was the Pig War, which started when somebody's pig got into somebody else's garden, and almost led to war between the US and Britain.

Definitely the silliest pretense for a war: 1859, luckily the governments realized how stupid it was and called it off before any humans got shot.

wikipedia posted:

During the years of joint military occupation, the small British and American units on San Juan Island had an amicable mutual social life, visiting one another's camps to celebrate their respective national holidays and holding various athletic competitions. Park rangers tell visitors the biggest threat to peace on the island during these years was "the large amounts of alcohol available".

Also the one place in the US where the Union Jack is still officially flown without diplomatic status. We got the island in the boundary resolution (arbitrated by Wilhelm I), but we still fly their flag at their fort. :3:

Raenir Salazar posted:

God I hate this guy already.

Also aren't training accidents like that not something specific to women? I swear I've heard of plenty of bootcamp idiocy stories committed by guys as well.

There's a whole hilarious/depressing thread in the SA military subforum.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 27, 2019

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Vaginal Vagrant posted:

The IDF has a very strong reputation but they've also spent a lot of time recently shooting at non-peer opponents, which is one of those things that makes evaluation tricky. The participation of women in the IDF has also been somewhat overstated at times: they've always had a lot of female soldiers because of conscription but from after the 1948 independence war until 2000 these were relegated to your standard non-combat, rear-line duties. Which is not to malign the importance of non-combat/rear area roles, but when people talk about female IDF soldier they're usually invoking the image of a woman going out and shooting at people - which wasn't really a thing until 2000.

Not that it's all that much of a thing now either: for all the talk of the IDF being coed female combat troops are usually part of three battalions that are invariably tasked with border duties and the IDF makes sure to keep its female soldiers in low-conflict areas.

Arban posted:

Among all the other things wrong with that rant, studies made by the Norwegian army indicate that the rate of sexual harassment goes down when the number of women in the units goes up.

There was also a pretty interesting study of a coed medical battalion that showed that coed battalions did worse than all-female and all-male units. What happened was that chauvinist attitudes among the male soldiers led them to claim traditionally "masculine" tasks like weapons use. In turn, the female soldiers desperately latched onto what was left: medical tasks. The result was a battalion of women who couldn't shoot (because the men wouldn't let or help them train) and men who couldn't patch wounds (because the women wouldn't let or help them train). The conclusion of the report was basically that it'd be a lot better for women to not be exposed to that kind of toxic coed environment, because it hurt their training.

This also matches a lot of the experiences women in the all-female special forces unit report: it's easier for them to feel wellness and perform when they don't have to deal with the comments/attitudes/gazes/presence of men whenever they go pee in the woods or whatever.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

LatwPIAT posted:

There was also a pretty interesting study of a coed medical battalion that showed that coed battalions did worse than all-female and all-male units.
don't we see similar things in schools? boys when placed among other boys engage in less bullshit, and girls when placed among other girls feel more confident? i've been in all-male spaces all my life and it may be wishful thinking but i think everyone else forgets my body isn't male. But in retrospect my female classmates in college had to put up with some BULLSHIT. And none of them talked in class either.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 27, 2019

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
this thread is extremely good

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

HEY GUNS posted:

I forget what page it is where it gets to the level of your guys shooting out windows and oopsie, but one time, somebody had a sidearm fall overboard from a helicopter, and like 12 people died in two helo crashes trying to find a lost pistol.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

HEY GUNS posted:

Probably what a hypothetical online forum from your period of interest would look like too.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Chillbro Baggins posted:

I forget what page it is where it gets to the level of your guys shooting out windows and oopsie, but one time, somebody had a sidearm fall overboard from a helicopter, and like 12 people died in two helo crashes trying to find a lost pistol.
is that better or worse than that FBI agent last year who was getting drunk at a country western bar, did a backflip with a loaded pistol shoved into his waistband, and accidentally shot someone

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Taerkar posted:

Probably what a hypothetical online forum from your period of interest would look like too.
human beings are loving dumb as poo poo and they get worse the more bored they get

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

HEY GUNS posted:

is that better or worse than that FBI agent last year who was getting drunk at a country western bar, did a backflip with a loaded pistol shoved into his waistband, and accidentally shot someone

Worse. The incident you mentioned was on par with your guy shooting outvthe window, the one I mentioned was two choppers lost with all hands looking for a pistol some dumbass let fall out of his kit.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Worse. The incident you mentioned was on par with your guy shooting outvthe window, the one I mentioned was two choppers lost with all hands looking for a pistol some dumbass let fall out of his kit.
ok but it's the backflip part that sticks in the mind

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

It's been a long time since I read Achilles in Vietnam, but I recall the argument for Achilles himself being a PTSD case making a lot of sense to me. Maybe Van Creveld thinks he doesn't count, because he was too much of a mama's boy.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Can't speak to this guy's credentials, but there are a lot (a LOT) of chickenhawk types who denigrate people who've actually been diagnosed with it.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
van Creveld is also one of those nutters arguing for nuclear attack on uninvolved states in the event Israel is overrun. Which other nutters interpret as such a policy actually existing (it doesn't). Thus more fuel for the anti-semitic fire in the form of this "sampson-option" nonsense.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Suppose you got to vote on faces for a European Mt. Rushmore. Four portraits somewhere photogenic in the Alps.

Four choices, MilHist thread; go.

I say Augustus Caesar, Charlemagne, Charles V of Spain, and Winston Churchill with Napoleon as an alternate.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Suppose you got to vote on faces for a European Mt. Rushmore. Four portraits somewhere photogenic in the Alps.

I say Augustus Caesar, Charlemagne, Charles V of Spain, and Winston Churchill with Napoleon as an alternate.

Turing, Napoleon, Marx, Charles II of Spain with a viewing platform built into his lower jaw.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
are we talking west or east. because justinian was pretty cool

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GUNS posted:

are we talking west or east. because justinian was pretty cool

I think current EU membership suffices. And yes, that still includes Limeyland.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Edit: three guys who look like young Tim Curry with different facial hair, and their grandma.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jan 27, 2019

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

I think current EU membership suffices. And yes, that still includes Limeyland.

The problem is, if we put good old Winston on a mountain in the Alps, there's a good chance it won't survive a full year before someone defaces it with dynamite

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

alexander, basil II, charles v, dunno about the fourth

whoever they are need to not only possess military greatness but also be pan-Europeanly(??) relevant. So Napoleon more than Churchill because he was a Corsican who rose in the army of a people not his own through merit. this is why i picked basil II, whose empire extended to italy.

wallenstein is ironically not on the list because what he created did not outlast him. for a similar reason neither is philip II: both of them carried too much of what they did alone, with few delegates or lasting accomplishments.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jan 27, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Historically, playing cards have featured Big Chuck, Tsar Augustus, Große Alex, and David of the House of David.

The proposal everyone will hate on but I’m making it anyway: Hadrian, Theodora, Charlemagne, Elizabeth

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Platystemon posted:

Historically, playing cards have featured Big Chuck, Tsar Augustus, Große Alex, and David of the House of David.

The proposal everyone will hate on but I’m making it anyway: Hadrian, Theodora, Charlemagne, Elizabeth
what gives elizabeth global significance?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Global significance isn’t always a good thing, but it’s a fair point.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
you're entirely right that theodora > justinian though

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
If I were to dynamite a perfectly good mountain top and replace it with a vain monument to a badass of the week, I would only pick people with egg-heads, double-chins, or ridiculous wigs that even the finest portraits couldn't make good. Here is an example of what I mean.

Handle is cool but not a badass though. My choices start with Eugen of Savoy who looks a twink who got put through a leather tannery

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
How can you talk about blowing poo poo up in the Alps to nobody's gain without including Cadorna?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GUNS posted:

alexander, basil II, charles v, dunno about the fourth

whoever they are need to not only possess military greatness but also be pan-Europeanly(??) relevant. So Napoleon more than Churchill because he was a Corsican who rose in the army of a people not his own through merit. this is why i picked basil II, whose empire extended to italy.

wallenstein is ironically not on the list because what he created did not outlast him. for a similar reason neither is philip II: both of them carried too much of what they did alone, with few delegates or lasting accomplishments.

I feel like Alexander is only European in retrospect thanks to the Greco-Roman legacy. Augustus, on the other hand.

And I picked Churchill because of role he played in defeating the greatest negative vision of European unity, and because he understood that treaties are not just scraps of paper, but dire responsibilities. Whatever else you can accuse him of, he took the accord Britain signed with Poland and France more seriously than probably any other comparable British politician in 1939-40 would have.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

If I were to dynamite a perfectly good mountain top and replace it with a vain monument to a badass of the week, I would only pick people with egg-heads, double-chins, or ridiculous wigs that even the finest portraits couldn't make good. Here is an example of what I mean.

Handle is cool but not a badass though. My choices start with Eugen of Savoy who looks a twink who got put through a leather tannery

[img][/img]

Bad kings only, but only if they're also ugly. So basically just gonna be Mt Hapsburg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I notice with interest that while Mt. Rushmore was built to commemorate democratic leaders who, ostensibly, had done deeds for the benefit of USA, your European proposals were tyrants who never did anything for anyone but themselves. Surely the monuments would have to depict the founding fathers of EU? Or is the intent of it to serve as a warning of what might be the alternative? Make a momument of Hitler putting a bullet through his skull (with the bullet and bone fragments just breaking through from the other side).