Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Potsticker posted:

The Quest Okay, I'm tired of typing these up. Last one. The Quest bookends this list as another game very similar to QuestLord, but with more of a focus on combat, higher resolution graphics, and bigger space to move around in. I'm not sure if there's actually more map square for square, but the increase in interactivity in NPCs and the larger areas to explore certainly feel that way, but if it is bigger, it's also emptier. But the towns feel more full? it's a weird dichotomy. There's expansions to buy and though I own one or two, I haven't really played them that much. Unlike QuestLord I feel like a bit of notetaking is required and it's harder to play casually. Also some of the quests really rubbed me the wrong way w/r/t how they can be completed, whether you get good/evil points for them and how NPCs react.

Great post, but I really agree with your assessment of The Quest. Do not get this game if you play phone games casually/intermittently like I do. The Quest is very difficult to get back into after an extended break, and requires note taking / walkthroughs to progress some of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Montalvo posted:

Great post, but I really agree with your assessment of The Quest. Do not get this game if you play phone games casually/intermittently like I do. The Quest is very difficult to get back into after an extended break, and requires note taking / walkthroughs to progress some of the time.

I played through it as a wind down game in bed every night. It is 100% a full fledged crpg, and you can't treat it as a toilet game.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I picked up Troll Patrol, and maybe I'm just not good at it, but I've only gotten to wave two, and that infrequently. Does anything carry over between runs? If not, I'm just going to give up.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

hooah posted:

I picked up Troll Patrol, and maybe I'm just not good at it, but I've only gotten to wave two, and that infrequently. Does anything carry over between runs? If not, I'm just going to give up.

Yes, you gradually unlock new gear types and classes. Dont think of it as a progression game, it's just a fun toilet puzzle game.

If you're having that much trouble, you might be gimping yourself. You can connect nodes diagonally AND go through lines you've already made, like so

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 24, 2019

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Oh, it's exactly Dungeon Raid? I may have to try this after all. I kind of got put off when it was compared to 10,000,000

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Potsticker posted:

Oh, it's exactly Dungeon Raid? I may have to try this after all. I kind of got put off when it was compared to 10,000,000

Yeah it is Dungeon Raid. The class and gear systems are a little different, enough to be a "different game", but it is Dungeon Raid. I don't get the 10,000,000 reference other than symbol matching.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I never played either but had only heard of 10mil

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Potsticker posted:

Dice Heroes Obviously this is dice-based rather than card-based, but I found it decent enough. It's also more of a strategy game which I'm not super into these days. Still, I found the game to be pretty well made so it gets onto the list for that.

Oooh I've never seen this before. Gonna give it a shot.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yes, you gradually unlock new gear types and classes. Dont think of it as a progression game, it's just a fun toilet puzzle game.

If you're having that much trouble, you might be gimping yourself. You can connect nodes diagonally AND go through lines you've already made, like so

Goddamnit.

So I'm adding my voice to Troll Patrol. Gave it a shot yesterday and I'm having a blast. I missed out on the original Dungeon Raid while it was en vogue so I can't compare it to that but I'm enjoying the game so far. Thinking about paying to get rid of ads to support the dev.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yeah, I knew you can go diagonally, and crossing doesn't really seem to have a point except you don't have to (try to) backtrack.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Troll Patrol gets a lot easier the longer you last, the first couple waves are the hard part. There are a couple abilities that straight up break the game: Flight resets the board completely and guarantees no enemies on the new board, and Smash resets the damage of every non boss enemy on the board to 1 permanently. Flight isn't too op because it's on a 20 turn CD but Smash is hilariously broken and only has a 10 turn CD by default I think. You can basically just play forever if you get both those abilities.

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

[1950s eel-based dad joke]

Mile'ionaha posted:

Goon Guild?

My hero name is Diomedes

On Rayguard.

Hey, I've added you and New Leaf.

I have basically no idea what I'm doing.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

PatentPending posted:

The game really holds your hand early on so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Osmosisch posted:

Which ones please, I need more games.

I don’t really think there’s a solo deck builder as good as Slay the Spire, but for me Card Quest comes the closest. It’s more of a series of “how can I get an engine going which lets me combo or block every enemy so I take no damage” puzzles, and the deck building is all at the start. Mechanically (eg deck build as you go) Card Crawl, Solitairica (and other games by that dev), and Meteorfall are all closer to StS.

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

CHEATED ON HIS WIFE, SLEPT WITH PROSTITUTES ON FBI TAPES, JACQUELINE KENNEDY SAID MLK WAS TAPE-RECORDED BY FBI PLANNING A SEX PARTY
The Quest seems interesting since I'd like a CRPG for long commutes, but it seems to be region locked so I can't buy it??? So weird since I assume this is a proper, full-fledged game that does not need IAPs, so them not wanting my money makes me think they had region locking by mistake or something.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Ok, Troll Patrol isnt exactly Dungeon Raid, but its the closet game that has copied it so far.

I miss Dungeon Raid, best bathroom game ever.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

PatentPending posted:

I'm also in Langrisser as SilverMike on Dalsis server. I think I mildly hosed up my Ledin by sending him down the King tree for faction buff before getting his taunt in Paladin.

SilverMike fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jan 25, 2019

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

tildes posted:

I don’t really think there’s a solo deck builder as good as Slay the Spire, but for me Card Quest comes the closest. It’s more of a series of “how can I get an engine going which lets me combo or block every enemy so I take no damage” puzzles, and the deck building is all at the start. Mechanically (eg deck build as you go) Card Crawl, Solitairica (and other games by that dev), and Meteorfall are all closer to StS.

I love Card Quest, but it definitely doesn't scratch the same itch as StS. Meteorfall is closer but has too little variety for my tastes, and I've in general soured quite a bit on Dreamquestlikes since StS showed that the enemies being predictable is just more fun than watching them flop cards during their turn. That's one of the things Card Quest does right.

Solitairica just has too many awful turns where the flops screw you to be fun for me. Also no deck of your own.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

OgNar posted:

Ok, Troll Patrol isnt exactly Dungeon Raid, but its the closet game that has copied it so far.

I miss Dungeon Raid, best bathroom game ever.

What happened to Dungeon Raid? I apparently uninstalled it at some point and went to reinstall it now and it's gone with some shovelware in it's place

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Captain France posted:

What happened to Dungeon Raid? I apparently uninstalled it at some point and went to reinstall it now and it's gone with some shovelware in it's place

The dev vanished and stop updating it, and it got to the point where if it even ran on your device, every move took multiple seconds to process.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm liking Langrisser so far, still early on tho. Added everyone who posted in this thread so far (I think), I'm Gaia on Baldea, if that even matters.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
It took me three days to get a 10-pull and and I got gently caress-all on it. Not a huge fan of the gacha system in it.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Echophonic posted:

It took me three days to get a 10-pull and and I got gently caress-all on it. Not a huge fan of the gacha system in it.

Did you also use your gems to get pulls? Seems like that's the best use of them if you aren't spending money.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I can't even figure out how to use gems. Do you need to be completely out of tickets? If so, then lol that's quite a design decision. Makes having 11 tickets a nightmare. But I got a blatantly evil looking mage guy that seems to focus on maximum AoE out of my first 10 pull as well as a high cut leotard priestess (Man it's so 80's how every other female character is wearing a leotard of some sort) that appears to be able to summon skeletons eventually. Which sounds pretty useful.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Infinity Gaia posted:

I can't even figure out how to use gems. Do you need to be completely out of tickets? If so, then lol that's quite a design decision. Makes having 11 tickets a nightmare. But I got a blatantly evil looking mage guy that seems to focus on maximum AoE out of my first 10 pull as well as a high cut leotard priestess (Man it's so 80's how every other female character is wearing a leotard of some sort) that appears to be able to summon skeletons eventually. Which sounds pretty useful.

You can either hit Summon while you don't have enough tickets to get prompted to buy enough for a 10 pull or go to Store and the Trinity Crystal tab to buy them direct. Costs 88 per ticket, so there's a good chance you have a few 10 pulls worth of free gems.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Are there plans to make a Langrisser thread to collect goon friends and probably do guild stuff whatever that means? I'm adding people as Spiff on Rocky Valley.

Edit: Time Rift 1-4 has a feat that says "up to 3 generals in battle" and I have no idea what that means.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 26, 2019

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
The up to 3 generals feat should read "use no more than 3 characters" so just drag two of your duders off the field. I am on the Diaden server, I hope they do something to promote cross server play since selecting a new server means starting over, and it looks like goons are spread out all over the place.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Is there a goon guild yet and do you have to be on the same server for it?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Man I would hate rerolling, I'm on Rayguard and lucked into the SSR pegasus rider. Sure she's free at the end of the Path of Light but I'll have a 4-star one. I'm happy with how generous the game is, though it does mean I need to set a timer because unless I blow all my stamina on sweeping time rifts I can just keep playing for a while.

Main downside of getting a SSR peg rider and knight is that using my 3-move units feels so slow now. Dieharte Lance and Cherie sweep the field and maybe by the last turn Matthew gets to poke someone, or one of them will run back to a healer. Though Cherie has self-heals now for just enough to keep her murdertrain going.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I think you do need to be on the same server for a guild, unfortunately. Someone should make a thread though so that people are consolidated a bit (c'mon, Rocky Valley peeps)

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man, that's balls. That's why I usually wait to join in on new mobile games, so issues like these get ironed out. Well, at least I never managed to pull any SSRs, but losing all that progress is gonna take some serious considering of whether the game is even worth it.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

I hope they allow transfers because I don't want to reroll.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

GrandpaPants posted:

I think you do need to be on the same server for a guild, unfortunately. Someone should make a thread though so that people are consolidated a bit (c'mon, Rocky Valley peeps)

This makes the multiple servers even more baffling. It's not like there aren't games out there with probably dozens of times more players that don't split up users like this. :sigh:

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Here's hoping enough people complain that they allow cross-server guilding. As it stands, make sure you guys are taking advantage of team battles when doing Secret Realm stuff. 20% stamina discount and extra items for going in with friends/guildies. Can't unlock levels this way, but if you're grinding resources it's very good.

SilverMike fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 27, 2019

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Is there anything out there to adjust the volume of individual apps? If I want to watch something on Netflix picture-in-picture while playing a phone game (most games, FFRK has volume sliders) I have to turn the game's sound off because if my phone volume is loud enough to hear the video the game's deafening.

E: and of course as soon as I ask I find a useful answer after sifting through some nonsense before asking. Apparently Samsung phones can do that, but Android as a whole cannot have different volume for foreground and background apps.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
Wish troll Patrol had better graphics

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Knowlue posted:

Wish troll Patrol had better graphics

I wish it didn't murder my battery.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

hooah posted:

I wish it didn't murder my battery.

Oh man, I thought it was just because I'm on an old Pixel I. Yeah that game toasts my battery in less than an hour of play, it's nuts.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It turns out if you go into settings (tap your avatar face in the top left corner, then click the "Settings" button) there's an option called "eco mode". I turned that on and it's way less battery-burning, I have no idea what they're even doing when you don't turn it on.

There's also a hilarious how-did-this-even-ship "Q&A" button that takes you to an FAQ. I'm not going to spoil what's hilarious about it, you should check it out yourself.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Jabor posted:

It turns out if you go into settings (tap your avatar face in the top left corner, then click the "Settings" button) there's an option called "eco mode". I turned that on and it's way less battery-burning, I have no idea what they're even doing when you don't turn it on.

There's also a hilarious how-did-this-even-ship "Q&A" button that takes you to an FAQ. I'm not going to spoil what's hilarious about it, you should check it out yourself.

I don't see a button that says Q&A but reading is hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I can't find that or this "eco mode".