Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
Will this end the twenty minute Prager U "What if everything you believed was wrong? Now isn't it weird how everything you believed was wrong??" commercials?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Thing I most hate about Prager is how they have truly amazing and good video.

Search ”was civil war about slavery”. Your mind will be blown.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

So they're delisting trans content, sex education, and leftube people with patreons. Got it.

Yeah this is my bet.

InsertPotPun posted:

Will this end the twenty minute Prager U "What if everything you believed was wrong? Now isn't it weird how everything you believed was wrong??" commercials?

No, because Prager is backed by the Wilks brothers and gives youtube lots and lots of money to run those ads.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I'm using youtube in private mode exclusively and I've never gotten automatic trans content or sex education stuff. Ever. It's always flat Earth, Echsenmenschen/lizard people, sovereign citizens, Merkel being a race traitor, the EU wants to eat your babbies, etc.

Just last week YouTube had a front page trending video where a woman explained that nobody in Germany actually owns their house cause if you ask the city clerk for a certificate signed by the Allied high command or whatever he will refuse to give it to you or something. It had 500k views at that point cause YouTube kept pushing it on people. It might have been the most promoted video on German YT at that point. This is a huuuuge problem.

Prager U is dumb right wing propaganda, but it's a totally different problem than whatever the gently caress ^^^^^that poo poo is

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Here it is. Everyone watch it to have their mind blown.

"Was the Civil War About Slavery?"
"What caused the Civil War? Did the North care about abolishing slavery? Did the South secede because of slavery? Or was it about something else entirely...perhaps states' rights? Colonel Ty Seidule, Professor of History at the United States Military Academy at West Point, settles the debate. "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcy7qV-BGF4

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

There's something oddly pleasing about knowing that the German version of sovereign citizens believe that property laws are invalid because Ike didn't sign off on the paperwork, or whatever.

Come to think of it, I had an old boss who was allowed to choose his own title and, being a smartass, wrote back that he wanted to be known as "Supreme Commander of the Allied Forces." Since no one argued with him, I guess he has the ability to certify your home, should the need arise.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
"Gitmo is a state of mind"

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

"this country would fall apart if we had secret military tribunals"

That's why you make them secret, dummy *smirks, taps forehead*

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/AP_Sports/status/1089174629493755905

Poor naive AP sports social media intern

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

If I were interning there I'd do that on purpose.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Vahakyla posted:

Here it is. Everyone watch it to have their mind blown.

"Was the Civil War About Slavery?"
"What caused the Civil War? Did the North care about abolishing slavery? Did the South secede because of slavery? Or was it about something else entirely...perhaps states' rights? Colonel Ty Seidule, Professor of History at the United States Military Academy at West Point, settles the debate. "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcy7qV-BGF4

I don't get it. I can't imagine it would be convincing to anyone actually invested in racism, but what's wrong with saying "yup, slavery"?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I don't get it. I can't imagine it would be convincing to anyone actually invested in racism, but what's wrong with saying "yup, slavery"?

Saying it wasnt about slavery muddies the water and allows you to defend the confederacy without being called out for what you are and lures in some people who dont do research or think theyre smart for having a complicated answer.

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.

Barudak posted:

Saying it wasnt about slavery muddies the water and allows you to defend the confederacy without being called out for what you are and lures in some people who dont do research or think theyre smart for having a complicated answer.

It's that quote that says that people who know nothing about the civil war say it was about slavery, people who know a bit about the civil war say it had multiple causes and that people who know a lot about the civil war say it was about slavery.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I think you missed the point. The video is slam dunk "gently caress yeah it was slavery". It is a well argumented and totally logical video that presents a slam dunk case against southern revisionism. The thing that is insane here is that it stands by itself in PRager U video playlist as all the other videos are buttfuck insane. So what is the interesting part is that why this subject, why not lie about slavery?

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Youtube mostly recommends pretty sensible stuff to me? Or stuff that isn't conspiracy and/or alt-right garbage anyway. I've actually found some decent lefty channels just through recommended videos.

I'm sure there's some horrendous stuff getting way too much exposure but not everybody is getting it funneled down their throat.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Youtube mostly recommends pretty sensible stuff to me? Or stuff that isn't conspiracy and/or alt-right garbage anyway. I've actually found some decent lefty channels just through recommended videos.

I'm sure there's some horrendous stuff getting way too much exposure but not everybody is getting it funneled down their throat.

If you run it through an incognito window you'll start getting questionable stuff pretty quickly.

Youre right that if you're someone who knows what they like and tends to stay far away from right wing conspiracies then youre good. However those aren't who we're worried about, those people arent likely to be swayed by right wing talking points anyway. The concern is more moderate, less informed people who go "huh, interesting"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

RagnarokAngel posted:

If you run it through an incognito window you'll start getting questionable stuff pretty quickly.

Youre right that if you're someone who knows what they like and tends to stay far away from right wing conspiracies then youre good. However those aren't who we're worried about, those people arent likely to be swayed by right wing talking points anyway. The concern is more moderate, less informed people who go "huh, interesting"

There was a show on Showtime a few years ago about weird internet stuff that had an episode about a teen girl who liked video games but ended up making a channel where she advocated white nationalism while wearing a cape and horned viking helmet because the algorithm started serving up speedruns with nazi talking points, and then straight-up holocaust denial and golden one poo poo.

The kid was extremely sheltered and suggestible, and from a very white place like Nebraska or something, but all it took was hearing that poo poo a few times from a few different people and it became common sense to her.

The same episode profiled a high-school kid who cut off all contact with her family and moved to another city because of Stefan Molyneux podcasts.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Clerical Terrors posted:

If I were interning there I'd do that on purpose.

as long as it isn't that cd project red social media dude

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Yea, I watch tons of videos about games, star wars, warhammer, among videos from shaun and hbomberguy and guys like that, and i maybe once and a while get "SJWs ruining star wars!" and "Feminists vs Warhammer!" videos but my autoplay normally just goes to a video on the same subject. My algorithm seems to be working as intended. But then I'm in Canada so I doubt Prager pays for ads here.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
A Prager U video showed up on autoplay after I watched a guy ranting about how wrong they were, it was pretty funny.

I still don't know how they got a decent video on the civil war, presumably they just thought Veteran = Like Us and didn't realize the US military is pretty clear in their curriculum that the civil war was all about slavery.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Personally I'd figure it's a mix of already-paid-the-money-for-this and being able to use it as "You can't say we're bad, look at this video" proof.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I'll believe it when I see it.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I get tons of recommendations for various right wingers DESTROYING liberals with logic no matter how many times I choose the “not interested in this” option

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Snowy posted:

I get tons of recommendations for various right wingers DESTROYING liberals with logic no matter how many times I choose the “not interested in this” option
Clear your cookies, cache, offline website data, and site preferences if you're browsing Youtube logged off, or if you like browsing it logged in you can go into your options and clear all your site history that feeds your recommendations that way. Personally I just browse logged off and have Firefox delete basically everything but my browsing history and I get default recommendations every time I start it back up.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

The fact that youtube has indoctrinated an entire American generation with neo-confederate and white supremacist views blows my mind.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Astrochicken posted:

The fact that youtube has indoctrinated an entire American generation with neo-confederate and white supremacist views blows my mind.

Yah the previous generation had to settle for the entire news media and half the textbooks

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Astrochicken posted:

I'd say they're doing a poor job since Gen-Z is even more left-leaning than Millennials.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

I'd say they're doing a poor job since Gen-Z is even more left-leaning than Millennials.

Too be fair thats largely cuz genZ is less white than Millennials, who were largely less white than boomers (I assume the pattern also held true for genX, but nobody seems to care about them)

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Don Gato posted:

A Prager U video showed up on autoplay after I watched a guy ranting about how wrong they were, it was pretty funny.

I still don't know how they got a decent video on the civil war, presumably they just thought Veteran = Like Us and didn't realize the US military is pretty clear in their curriculum that the civil war was all about slavery.

uh no they probably would have just buried the video in that case

there is a contingent of conservatives who are deeply embarrassed by neoconfederates. Their objection doesn't come from any sort of anti-slavery ideology, but from optics, since they'll gladly exploit the bigoted hootings of stars and bars tattooed fathulks.

It also lets them disingenuously go, "slavery is a settled topic, the Union won, and no more exploitation is even possible because of law!"

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Peanut Butler posted:

uh no they probably would have just buried the video in that case

there is a contingent of conservatives who are deeply embarrassed by neoconfederates. Their objection doesn't come from any sort of anti-slavery ideology, but from optics, since they'll gladly exploit the bigoted hootings of stars and bars tattooed fathulks.

It also lets them disingenuously go, "slavery is a settled topic, the Union won, and no more exploitation is even possible because of law!"

Neo-liberals are probably genuinely anti chattel slavery because it is a bad arrangement in a modern post-industrial economy. There are much more capital efficient forms of exploitation available now

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Neo-liberals are probably genuinely anti chattel slavery because it is a bad arrangement in a modern post-industrial economy. There are much more capital efficient forms of exploitation available now

oh haha yeah I've heard that argument before from people whose sense of justice has been weathered away by right-wing framing techniques that shift the rhetorical battleground from "abhorrent to the human soul" to a mealy-mouthed efficacy/efficiency argument

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

hangedman1984 posted:

Too be fair thats largely cuz genZ is less white than Millennials, who were largely less white than boomers (I assume the pattern also held true for genX, but nobody seems to care about them)

A trend I'm seeing in younger millennials and older genZ is less white not automatically equalling more liberal. Like, I've run into a lot of young South Asian tech bros who obviously hate Trump but are bending over backwards to find ways to vote Republican anyways because they are super anti-feminist and anti-gay.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

LanceHunter posted:

A trend I'm seeing in younger millennials and older genZ is less white not automatically equalling more liberal. Like, I've run into a lot of young South Asian tech bros who obviously hate Trump but are bending over backwards to find ways to vote Republican anyways because they are super anti-feminist and anti-gay.

Your rich friends are less than 10% of the population they literally do not matter

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Peanut Butler posted:

oh haha yeah I've heard that argument before from people whose sense of justice has been weathered away by right-wing framing techniques that shift the rhetorical battleground from "abhorrent to the human soul" to a mealy-mouthed efficacy/efficiency argument

I've had liberals get real mad at me and accuse me of horseshoe theory poo poo solely for framing a political issue in moral terms. It's really gross how well conservatives have gotten a de facto monopoly on the idea of right and wrong.

(The second you rephrase the categorical imperative from "do not treat other people as means to an end" to "people should not be treated as means to an end" it moves from mild-mannered sunday school nonsense into firebreathing radicalism that scares the gently caress out of people, and it rules)

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

VitalSigns posted:

Your rich friends are less than 10% of the population they literally do not matter

Just keep telling yourself that then act surprised when we end up losing marriage equality under the Jindal administration in 2035.

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001
Let's not get distracted from the facts:. I've not seen Hillary in the news for a couple days, therefore Gitmo.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fiend posted:

Let's not get distracted from the facts:. I've not seen Hillary in the news for a couple days, therefore Gitmo.

Also, Pelosi didn't delay the SOTU because of the wall or the shutdown, that was just an excuse. She doesn't want to hold it because RBG won't be there because she's been dead from cancer for weeks if not months and the democrats would have to admit it if she was absent from SOTU.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Fiend posted:

Bernie's running for president so obviously his sentence is to become a proxy president for Trump so the masses do not continue to become irate over Donald being president.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dunno if y'all saw our big wet boy tweet about global "waming" yesterday but q cultists did
https://twitter.com/travis_view/status/1090274611495763975

Also AOC is a Q plot to take down the Democratic party

Well if anyone is an expert on how political extremism alienates you from friends and family, it's these guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

zoux posted:

Dunno if y'all saw our big wet boy tweet about global "waming" yesterday but q cultists did
https://twitter.com/travis_view/status/1090274611495763975

Also AOC is a Q plot to take down the Democratic party

Well if anyone is an expert on how political extremism alienates you from friends and family, it's these guys

This whole "pushes them too left, they become republicans" has actually been gaining traction with Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck. They seem to think taxing the rich will make people decide to support the wealthy instead I guess?