Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
https://www.lightstream.com/horse-l...isredirect=True

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

This is what I'm all about 72 months of payments on horse for a low low 16.99% APR.

e: decided to look up a horse credit card. Uh, don't search for that, someone apparently cut up the horse named Credit Card. :smith:

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

OctaviusBeaver posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/investing/comments/ajgrlg/pge_cleared_from_wildfires_wtf_i_sold_at_7/

They are still on the hook for the 2018 fires so this guy was screwed either way but lol

The best part is his rationale for buying PG&E:

quote:

PG&E has been around for over 40 years. What's the worst that could happen? At least that's what I thought when I bought it. I didn't even hedge against it with puts and covered calls. gently caress me

Note he bought AFTER the wildfire so the answer to "what's the worst that could happen" was blaring on every news station in California.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Im legally paying so sorry for the lack of excerpts, but please look at thos wonderful FAQ from Wags Lending.

https://secure.wagslending.com/Home/FAQ

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Uhhhhh you guys know you can collect blood from an animal without literally exsanguinating it, right? You've all had a physical or a blood drive that didn't leave you dead?

The local pet hospital looks for shelter cats with good temperaments and gives them an official title of Superhero. They get to live in an adorable pirate ship themed room with little cannon portholes that let them spy on the people and animals in the waiting room. They have little bios on the window with their name, how many lives they've saved to date, and how long it'll be until their Superhero stint is over and they're up for adoption.

The wait list to adopt is capped at 80 people!

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Well that's kinda cool :unsmith:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Uhhhhh you guys know you can collect blood from an animal without literally exsanguinating it, right? You've all had a physical or a blood drive that didn't leave you dead?

The local pet hospital looks for shelter cats with good temperaments and gives them an official title of Superhero. They get to live in an adorable pirate ship themed room with little cannon portholes that let them spy on the people and animals in the waiting room. They have little bios on the window with their name, how many lives they've saved to date, and how long it'll be until their Superhero stint is over and they're up for adoption.

No, it's literally this.

But with dogs and cats.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Yeah my vet's office has an office cat slash blood donor and he basically has his run of the place, eats super well, the whole building is set up to his amusement and every once in a while they give him phlebotomy which - get this - he's had so often he doesn't even fuss. "Oh they're taking my blood again, ok."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Cacafuego posted:

~~Tale as old as time (again)~~

Good Credit but Low Income

This is going to work out spectacularly for all involved: dumbass kid, his equally dumb co-signer, his parents paying his insurance (which will probably skyrocket once he gets in his first accident)...

from a ways back but how is this guy not in the military

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Browse his post history a bit, he posts about expensive knockoff shoes and watches, then says he drives a $48k car. In the linked thread he says he is making $2.5k/mo. 🤔

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah of course transfusing isn't fatal, yeah of course there are relatively gentle and humane ways to take blood from an animal that can't understand or consent to the donation, yeah of course if there is money to be made banking dog and cat blood some cruel unscrupulous motherfuckers are going to cage up dozens or hundreds of them in squalid barns and conceal the supply chain behind a clean and friendly vet's office

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
And you think that's KIBBLE you give your dog every day? Nah man that's government nanobots that eat the blood cells and keep you dependent on Big Squalid Bloodbarn

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
This one isn't that bad, just kind of baffling.

OP is having a second child in June and wants to be a SAHM in the future. She brings home $5600 a month, the husband brings home $5000 a month. They currently have $100k in student loans, and they "just bought" a new house with a $2350 mortgage payment. The GWM part is that she knows she can't leave her job until the student loans are paid down.

So... last month they went out and bought a $40k car, at $700 a month for five years.

I just... can't figure out how they thought that was a good idea or how she expects to be able to become a SAHM before her second kid is in elementary school anyway. She hasn't responded to any comments on the car.

Prepping to be a SAHM

quote:

Sorry for the long post!

We are currently expecting our 2nd child in June and I would like to work towards being a stay at home mom by early/mid 2020.

Husband and I are both engineers. His monthly take home is $5000 (he carries the insurance) my take home is $5600/month.

We have been living off hubands income and using mine to pay off student loans plus daycare. Current Budget.

Food $500

Gas $200

Misc $300 (most of this goes to little projects around the house, family outtings, car maintenance/fees)

Savings $400

Car $700 ( 1 brand new vehicle purchased past month. 0% interest, 60 months, owe $40K. Have 2nd vehicle that is paid off, 5 years old)

Insurance $160

Phone $140 (2 phones, 6GB, Verizon)

Internet/Netflix $100

Gas/electric/water $150

Mortgage $2350

Then mine, $5600 - $900 daycare - $1400 minimum Student loan payment leaves $3300 per month left extra. I have been using all of that to pay down loans. (Started with $225K and now we are down to $95K)

Current emergency fund is $15,000, savings is $500 (we just bought a new house)

So my question. What makes the most sense for $3300 extra in order to live without this income the fastest way possible?

Also, This "extra" will reduce to $2400 in October once we have 2 in daycare and that goes to an $1800 month expense.

We pay $160 month PMI, need $39K to principle before this is removed.

6 student loans. 1. $40/month $4000 balance, 5.25% interest VAR. 2. $60/month $9000 balance. 4.75% interest VAR 3. $50/month $6000 balance. 4.5% interest VAR 4. $150/month $8000 balance. 5% fixed 5. $350/month $18000 balance. 6% fixed 6. $750/month $50000 balance. 5.8% fixed

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Stolen from a stolen post

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Should have bought at $7...

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Alright, Pet Island, here you go.

BWM: Paying $700 for a pitbull when the shelters are chock full of free ones

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I... what the gently caress is that post?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Dick Nipples posted:

I... what the gently caress is that post?
Guy asked how to get a loan for $5,000 with poo poo credit but with a cosigner. We inquired a little further. Rather than telling the truth (it's bitcoin, probably), he insisted on crafting this nonsense.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Better investment that bitcoin, let's be real. Nothing budgeted for ammo though, which is an oversight. Get a shelter dog and use the cost savings to buy some bullets, or buy an AR-15 for half the price and invest the difference in VTI.

Let's move the thread to TFR and get their opinion :haw:

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Hoodwinker posted:

Guy asked how to get a loan for $5,000 with poo poo credit but with a cosigner. We inquired a little further. Rather than telling the truth (it's bitcoin, probably), he insisted on crafting this nonsense.

link the thread

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

Browse his post history a bit, he posts about expensive knockoff shoes and watches, then says he drives a $48k car. In the linked thread he says he is making $2.5k/mo. 🤔

I bet he put 5.0 and GT badges on it. So $48k, naturally.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

That's the loving lede you go with for that post?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

UCS Hellmaker posted:

link the thread
post starts here

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Speaking of bitcoin, looks like more people got the shaft.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/yw5ygw/ethereum-startup-prodeum-vanishes-after-seemingly-making-11-leaves-message-penis

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ixian posted:

That's the loving lede you go with for that post?

That was the main thing that jumped out at me too. Just because your wife has been captured by a drug cartel is no reason to be BWM.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jan 26, 2019

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

GamingHyena posted:

The best part is his rationale for buying PG&E:

Note he bought AFTER the wildfire so the answer to "what's the worst that could happen" was blaring on every news station in California.

I'm also pretty sure that PG&E declared bankruptcy back when the San Bruno incident happened too.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Some BWM that popped up on Ask a Manager recently

quote:

1. My coworkers won’t help me cut expenses

A few months ago we received an email from the Big Boss (head of our business unit) that we are entering a “cost cutting” exercise due to business needs and they need everyone to make efforts to ensure our costs/expenses are “as close to zero as possible.”

I’m in an internal role that doesn’t deal with contracts, purchases, software licensing, travel, etc. so there’s only a limited amount I can contribute to that cost cutting. But I’ve done what I can — e.g. I walked five miles with heavy equipment rather than take public transport which the others did. I “forgot” to claim for overtime payments that I should/could have claimed (not in U.S. so those laws don’t apply), didn’t claim mileage for driving two hours out of my way multiple times, etc. It’s galling every month the department admin sends out the emails asking for “overtime forms” and “travel expenses” and I know I have a lot I could claim and don’t.

We have to work late a couple of times a month due to client deadlines (the company usually orders food in) and I’ve gone on “hunger strike” conspicuously refusing to eat or order, and working through while others eat the company-paid pizzas, etc. (we know in advance when we’ll have to stay late – why didn’t they bring their own food?!) because I don’t believe that’s a legit business expense. I’ve tried to convince the others but without success.

I’ve now asked to reduce my retirement contributions (matched by the company) which will save them thousands a year. I’ve indicated to HR that I want to opt out of the healthcare insurance at the next renewal date.

I’ve done pretty much everything I can at this point other than asking for a pay cut (which I could — I’m senior, single and have enough money but I realize this could affect my prospects in the future) but I’m becoming more and more resentful of coworkers who haven’t even considered the things I’ve done. They still submit overtime, travel expenses, etc. At some point we all have to pull together but I feel like I’m the only one pulling,

Whoa, you are making way too many sacrifices here. You should not be walking five miles with heavy equipment or not getting paid for time you worked, and conspicuously not having a slice of pizza isn’t going to make any practical difference. As for reducing your retirement contributions and opting out of health insurance (!!) — NO. Is it too late to undo that?
“Help us cut costs” means “watch for extraneous spending and be frugal with business expenses.” It does not mean “take on great personal sacrifice for the benefit of a company someone else owns.” What are you doing is way beyond the realm of anything that would be expected, some of it won’t even matter (the hunger strike), and the rest of it is so extreme as to be entering the realm of the absurd unless this is your own personal business and you get all the profits.
You should of course respect requests to watch expenses, but it’s actually not helpful to do what you’re doing because it creates a false idea of what various projects cost. It’s also going to look incredibly weird to your coworkers, especially when you pressure them to join you, to the point that it could reflect on your judgment long after this is over.
Leave your retirement account and your health care alone. Submit for the money that you’re owed. Quit the hunger strikes. Be responsible with expenses, and leave it there.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Shirec posted:

Some BWM that popped up on Ask a Manager recently

Someone should just put this one down. They're too broken to live.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

therobit posted:

Someone should just put this one down. They're too broken to live.

Screw that, I'll hire him.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
Holy poo poo that guy. I legit think he would kill someone if an exec says it might help the bottom line of the company.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TraderStav posted:

Screw that, I'll hire him.

As first bootlicker?

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
How does someone become that servile? If a company that I worked for told us that it was having financial issues, I'd start looking for a new job, not ways of saving the company money.

Upside down on our car

https://old.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/ahy9lb/upside_down_on_our_car/

quote:

And trying to get out of a payment. Long story short, I needed a reliable car 2 years ago for my out of town clinical rotations and my '01 Audi with 200K+ miles wasn't going to cut it. I now have a '13 Chrysler 300 and my husband's friend who owns a dealership sold it to is for the price he bought it at (around $17K) plus fees, etc. so the total loan was just under $20K.

Well, we're upside down, owe a little over $15K and have a baby on the way any day now. If we can get another reliable car and not have a payment, the extra $300/ month in our pockets will be a blessing. We are about $4-$4500 upside down.

Another car that my husband's friend may want to trade/ sell us is an '05 Audi S4 wagon and apparently has drive train issues but is worth between $4-8K (or so my husband says because "it has nice wheels). My husband is a mechanic and owns an auto shop and will inspect it before we make any changes.

So, we may try to go through the friend's dealership, have him take in the Audi and Chrylser, work a deal so we get the Audi, and my husband may have to give up his '76 Chevy to "break even". I just don't want my husband to give his truck up for a 14 year old vehicle when the Chrysler is only 6 years old and less than 90K miles. My husband sees it as getting out of a payment and having a paid off car but we'll be out 2 vehicles for 1 paid off one. His truck is worth at least $8K but as hubby says "it's only worth what someone will pay".

I'm sorry if this is long and doesn't make sense. I will clarify if anyone can give me some basic advice. The car is in my name only and my dad cosigned for me for the best interest rate and because I didn't have credit.

How can I take myself off a co-signed car note

https://old.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/ak93ae/how_can_i_take_myself_off_a_cosigned_car_note/

quote:

So about a year ago I decided to be nice and help a close relative co-sign a car. He said that his SO and himself will pay the note and I won't have to worry about. Fast forward about 10 or 11 months he decided to stop paying for it and forced my to take over the note, cause if i don't it would ruin my credit. I'm hoping you guys and gals can help me figure out how to get my name off the note/loan. Note: The family member's credit is not good cause of student loans. Don't know if this matters.

quote:

You are 100% responsible for paying this loan as a co-signer. If he cannot refinance in his own name and is not paying the bill, I highly suggest you repo the car as co-owner and sell the drat thing. If he can’t pay the bill, he doesn’t get to drive it.

quote:

Luckily ,since he doesn't have a license, he can't drive it. Got suspended because of unpaid tickets. His SO was suppose to drive him around but they broke up and she wasn't paying for it so we took it back from her

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Enchanted Hat posted:

I needed a reliable car... '01 Audi... '13 Chrysler 300... '05 Audi S4 wagon... Audi and Chrysler... ‘76 Chevy

Upside down, right side up, whatever.. nothing says reliable and affordable like Audi and Chrysler, let alone 15-20 year old Audi S-line.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

GoutPatrol posted:

As first bootlicker?

That’s my title, he’d have to get in line.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
A loving Chrysler 300. Those are people that are going for appearances and not I need point a to b. It's not even good luxery cars

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

This person seems to be GWM, but this was the first time I had seen this and I'll have to add that to my BWM searches:

I can't seem to wrap my head around a backdoor Roth IRA and need some advice.

quote:

Hello all. I'm 31 and secure in my employment. I make about 155k annually, max out my traditional 401k, have about 6 months of emergency money squirreled away in various forms, and my only debt is a 50k aircraft loan @ 5.5% which I'm overpaying on and should be done with in 3 years.

I'm looking at diversifying my retirement portfolio and a Roth IRA seems like the best way to do it, however I can't seem to wrap my head around how to do it. I'm pretty sure my AGI would allow me to open one today, but in the future with promotions and raises, would I still be able to contribute to it if my AGI exceeds the maximum allowable? Should I just bite the bullet and pull $6k out of my emergency fund and fully fund it with post tax money? Is there a better option for me?!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I need to go into the more bougie areas to scout out the BHPH aircraft sales lots. Sign and fly!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Any of you dudes watch these two Fyre documentaries? Pump that poo poo in to my veins.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

Holy poo poo that guy. I legit think he would kill someone if an exec says it might help the bottom line of the company.

Used to work with someone who took brown nosing to such an extreme that I kept expecting him to turn up in a Mad Max-esque slave outfit, complete with tattoo stating "Property of *Boss name*". Everytime the boss said something, he would loudly agree with him, and he used to critize other people's work, stating to said boss that he could do better. Every day was a new round of "Please approve of me, Master."

We used to call him Smithers, although sadly I never found out whether he would actually jump off a cliff if our boss told him to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

As first bootlicker?

Second bootlicker. I want him hungry (I guess literally) for the top role.

e:

Residency Evil posted:

Any of you dudes watch these two Fyre documentaries? Pump that poo poo in to my veins.

IDK if you've been on the internet lately, but there was a Bahamian restaurant owner who ended up fronting 50k out of her own savings in addition to whatever assets the restaurant had and obviously got no payment from Fyre. She'd originally asked for ~120k I think, presumably to recover savings and whatever operating funds she lost for the restaurant, and last I checked, fundraising was around 145k. I only watched the Netflix one, but it seemed as if she didn't have a contract with Fyre but had ended up serving Fyre guests who showed up to her place because Fyre drivers had dropped them off there. If she did have a contract, I'm not sure why she didn't require a down payment and scheduled payments afterward. So not the best business decision as far as mitigating possible losses, but she did get rolled pretty hard.

Unsurprisingly, a bunch of people continued to work for Fyre on both the festival and app side despite missed paychecks and at least one of the dudes put charges of 100k+ on his personal Amex. I've said it before, but startups definitely select for people who will put up with BS, seek approval from their bosses, and see the relationships as personal instead of business. Nowhere was that more evident than in this documentary.

The most horrifying/shocking thing of all (you really have to see this to believe it) is 30-year veteran promoter/organizer Andy King's interview. Up to this point, Andy really seems like an indulgent but otherwise fairly responsible dad-figure. When I first saw him, from the way he talked about McFarland I thought he was actually his dad. There are takes all over, but you have to watch his interview. McFarland had not paid the import fees on a few truckloads of bottled water for the festival so customs consequently refused to release the water. McFarland calls up King and says something like, "You're our dear gay leader. I need you to suck this guy's dick so he'll release the water." At first you're thinking, oh man he must have been really hurt and offended that McFarland would say that. NO. King goes home, takes a shower, then drives over to the customs facility 100% intending to suck this guy's dick. He does not come to his senses on the way over. He doesn't say what, if anything, he said or did to the head of customs, but King says he didn't suck his dick, the agent was very kind, and agreed to release the water as long as they were the first ones paid. My husband and I sat there for like 10 minutes just trying to wrap our heads around it.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 27, 2019