Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
I have an android device running the latest update with a headphone jack and sd card slot how in the gently caress

yes I should probably just buy a used se

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

wait so it faster for samsung and huawei, or just samsung?

about 40% faster for those who released updates which were samsung huawei and xiaomi but lg and htc didnt release an update at all so theres a divide by zero problem

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i don't get why the preset android notification options are 15 minutes before, 12 hours before, 2 days before and 4 days before

like 15 minutes is often too late if i need to go somewhere and 12 hours is wayy too loving early

i guess those 2 last options are for birthday-present-buyers and writing-assignment-doers

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Wheany posted:

i don't get why the preset android notification options are 15 minutes before, 12 hours before, 2 days before and 4 days before

like 15 minutes is often too late if i need to go somewhere and 12 hours is wayy too loving early

i guess those 2 last options are for birthday-present-buyers and writing-assignment-doers

Wish u would set a 15 minute reminder to post, ignore it, and not post.

Also, Aynrandroid users don't have friends (or family with whom they still speak) and are uniformly poors so I don't know how many of them buy birthday presents?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Wheany posted:

ios has had the ‘time to leave’ setting for years now how hasn’t google copied this yet?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my phone updated to android pee last night and i loving hate two UI changes in particular

1) the clock is on the left now, with the notifications, instead of on the right with the "system tray" stuff. this makes it look like i constantly have a notification active

2) when you change the volume, the slider pops up in the middle of the screen along the side, obscuring the screen content, instead of at the top like it used to

i believe that both of these changes were made because phones are all gonna have that stupid loving notch. now you have to balance stuff at the top left and right (clock) because the center top isn't usable, and a slider at the top of the screen also naturally would be partially obscured so it has to go somewhere else

i could get used to the volume thing but of course there is also no way to return the clock to the right even though my phone has a normal screen.

go gently caress yourself, google

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Rex-Goliath posted:

ios has had the ‘time to leave’ setting for years now how hasn’t google copied this yet?

seriously, since google knows all the traffic stuff i'm honestly surprised at this

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Last Chance posted:

seriously, since google knows all the traffic stuff i'm honestly surprised at this

waze does it iirc

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Android does traffic-dependent "you should leave soon" notifications somehow, not sure if it's Maps, Calendar, Assistant (formerly Google Now), or what, but they've been around for years.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

James Baud posted:

Android does traffic-dependent "you should leave soon" notifications somehow, not sure if it's Maps, Calendar, Assistant (formerly Google Now), or what, but they've been around for years.

this has worked properly in android since now launched in 2012 theres even a notification channel specifically for how much of a ruckus you want it to make if heavy traffic is going to delay you

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

my phone updated to android pee last night and i loving hate two UI changes in particular

1) the clock is on the left now, with the notifications, instead of on the right with the "system tray" stuff. this makes it look like i constantly have a notification active

2) when you change the volume, the slider pops up in the middle of the screen along the side, obscuring the screen content, instead of at the top like it used to

i believe that both of these changes were made because phones are all gonna have that stupid loving notch. now you have to balance stuff at the top left and right (clock) because the center top isn't usable, and a slider at the top of the screen also naturally would be partially obscured so it has to go somewhere else

i could get used to the volume thing but of course there is also no way to return the clock to the right even though my phone has a normal screen.

go gently caress yourself, google

wait until you see what happens when you amass more than three notifications

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Last Chance posted:

you should leave now. oh you don't own a car? well i guess you should have left 10 minutes ago :shrug:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
google helpfully reminded me that today is Data Privacy Day

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wheany posted:

you should leave now. oh you don't own a car? well i guess you should have left 10 minutes ago :shrug:

theres also preference for mode of transport

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

honor: still ripping off ios icons in tyool 2019

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
not at this distance. yours, honor

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
My 5t got the Pie update and all I noticed was that everything is a bit rounder

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Fabricated posted:

My 5t got the Pie update and all I noticed was that everything is a bit rounder
so it came with a free mirror?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Penguissimo posted:

wait until you see what happens when you amass more than three notifications

you say this like any android has had fewer than three notifications

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

FMguru posted:

so it came with a free mirror?
No I noticed that a long time ago

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

infernal machines posted:

honor: still ripping off ios icons in tyool 2019

lmaoing at that hole punch

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

lmaoing at that hole punch

Don't lol too much the next iPhone might copy that

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the hole punch is a lot nicer-looking than a full notch at least. now if only they'd stop with the huge bevels, should at most be such that they are concentric with the hole

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
they should keep the camera concealed in the bevel and then it slides out when you need it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
or not because sliders are terrible for reliability

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

there’s about zero things up in notch land on iOS that I give a poo poo about though

I don’t need to decipher the dipshit hieroglyphics to figure out which app is selling me addons or which thing needs my attention so notch it up .

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

i miss the keyboard on my moto droid

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the notch obscures stuff all the time and its totally unforgivable. there should be a small bezel on the top and bottom both to eliminate the notch, improve the swipe up gesture, and square off the screen.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

the notch obscures stuff all the time and its totally unforgivable. there should be a small bezel on the top and bottom both to eliminate the notch, improve the swipe up gesture, and square off the screen.

i disagree with notch=bad but agree with the rest of this :ohdear:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

all notches are stupid and bad

there are sarnsungs out there that cram the camera and all the sensors into like a 1/8" bezel at the top of the screen. there's zero reason to make the screen a weird shape with cutouts when you can do that instead.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

shagger please post screenshots of things the notch obscures that are actually important

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

shagger please post screenshots of things the notch obscures that are actually important

i hide your posts behind the notch

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

akadajet posted:

i hide your posts behind the notch

he said important

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bobby Digital posted:

he said important

fact

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

this feels like it's true, otoh i had the same flip phone for a solid 5 years without issue, and the chunks of glass i've used in the last decade have not exactly impressed on the reliability front, so idk

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

this feels like it's true, otoh i had the same flip phone for a solid 5 years without issue, and the chunks of glass i've used in the last decade have not exactly impressed on the reliability front, so idk

i have to agree though if they use some sort of motor i think itd be suspect but if its just some clicky thing id expect it to last p. much the life of the phone especially with how seldom the ffc is used

ofc if its a clicker one might be tempted to fidget with it all the time

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

that said i really do not see the slider setup being worth it, to the point where just dongleizing the selfie camera seems a more palatable idea (i'd much prefer that actually as i don't really do video calls on the go anyway, so i'd just not bother with it)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
we need to go back to turn-around-able cameras like we used to have on the first 3G phones

why have your selfie sensor worse than the 'proper' camera?

edit: woah, I forgot that those flip 3G dumbphones used to have screens on the outside

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jan 31, 2019

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
put a touchscreen on both sides, for selfie mode flip the phone around to the side that doesn't have the full screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ive got an idea what if instead of the screen going all the way to the top it stopped just a couple millimeters shy and in that blank space you could put the camera and an array of sensors?