Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

shy boy from chess club posted:

Less rattle too, it should have pilot injection like the 4cyl tdis, right? I have 0 experience with the 5.

That's driven by the injectors, so we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So, new issue:

The pumps I have are not powerful enough to drive TDI injectors, I need at least 10mm Plunger to get sufficient pressure.

code:
Key to Bosch Part Number:

0= Denotes complete product
460= Product class, Distributor pump
4= Identifier for VE Injection pump
9= Plunger Diameter: 8=8mm,9=9mm,0=10mm,1=11mm,2=12mm,3=13mm & 4=14mm
4= Number of Cylinders
001= Application

It turns out the last three digits of the VP37 marry up to another bosch part number that gives more information. The new code breaks down as follows:
VE = VE type pump (VP is still a VE pump)
4 = number of cylinders
/10 = 10mm plunger
E = electronic governor (F=mechanical)
xxxx number = governor controlled RPM (I assume this is pump rpm not engine rpm)
R = clockwise rotation (L = counter clockwise)
xxx-x number = production number

0460 405 026 | VE5/10F2250L81-1P | Volvo Turbo Pump - 10mm
0460 485 006 | 					  | Audi 100 2.4D Pump - 8mm
0460 485 035 | 					  | VW Transporter 2.4D Pump - 8mm 
My parts Volvo Injection Pump WILL do this, but it means I gotta swap its plunger and rotor assembly onto a pump that works and doesn't have shaft wear.

This introduces the other issue: Drive shaft size. See, a 17mm pump drive shaft (standard for 8mm-10mm pumps) can drive up to a 10mm Plunger, you CAN put a larger plunger on there, but you risk snapping the drive shaft. The drive shaft also drives the transfer (lift) pump.

The other option is the 20mm driveshaft, but unless your pump body already has one, you have to machine it larger to accept it, as well as to accept a new shaft seal.

So, we have to modify the pumps we have from 8mm plungers and rotors to 10mm. We should be able to source these parts from 2.5l TDI AEL Injection Pumps.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 1, 2018

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
The wagon had an issue.

Crank and cam move, flywheel does not. We'll get forensics in a day or two.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

CommieGIR posted:

The wagon had an issue.

Crank and cam move, flywheel does not. We'll get forensics in a day or two.

That's... concerning to say the least.

How does it sound??

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lightbulb Out posted:

That's... concerning to say the least.

How does it sound??

Can't start it, so we'll see. It didn't sound bad when it stopped.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Best case, flywheel bolts snapped?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

Best case, flywheel bolts snapped?

Here's hoping.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I think from memory the pump in my landcruiser runs 14mm plungers or something absolutely nuts like that. I know unmodified they flow enough fuel to push nearly 700HP at all 4 wheels running 35” tyres...

If you don’t have any luck chasing bits out of Europe, we also got a fair number of vag turbo diesels here in Aus, so that might be a source of parts too

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So, we found out the root cause: Crank timing gear bolt backed out and allowed the crank timing gear to wander and sheared the key on the timing gear itself, crank key is clean.

But we lost at least one valve and destroyed a lifter in the process.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Ouch :( Those lifters aren't getting any easier to find either.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Really? I found tons of suppliers for the Scirocco unless the diesel ones are different.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Ouch :( Those lifters aren't getting any easier to find either.

It uses the same lifters as the petrol motors, and I've got spares from the two diesel heads I scrapped.

I've got spare valves too, actually.

E: Just double checked, part number cross references to the petrol 10v/20v motors.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I thought the Audi diesel I5s had weird rare rockers for some reason. Never mind then, I'm glad it's not a super difficult quest.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I thought the Audi diesel I5s had weird rare rockers for some reason. Never mind then, I'm glad it's not a super difficult quest.

The Renault diesel that came in my Jeep Cherokee did, it was quite a chore to find them.

:smith: I miss that Jeep.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

It uses the same lifters as the petrol motors, and I've got spares from the two diesel heads I scrapped.

I've got spare valves too, actually.

E: Just double checked, part number cross references to the petrol 10v/20v motors.

I'm pretty sure they are the same for VR6 also.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Here's the internals. Not bad damage, one valve at least, and two lifters dead:

So easy fix.

Brought enough new parts to ensure we can get back on the road:

And we'll be bringing something else home with us:

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Hell yeah, lifts rule.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Also hopefully picking up a Chinese Mill/Lathe combo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Wagon is back online, got some timing issues to work out with the pump, the machine shop shaved the head and now the injection pump belt is now slack.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Wagon's home, seems to be okay, I want to double check the timing because it seemed under powered.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

CommieGIR posted:

Wagon is back online, got some timing issues to work out with the pump, the machine shop shaved the head and now the injection pump belt is now slack.

Surely the tensioner should take that up? I had both the head and block shaved on my 4.2TD cruiser motor and the hydraulic tensioner just pulled the belt up nice and tight.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ferremit posted:

Surely the tensioner should take that up? I had both the head and block shaved on my 4.2TD cruiser motor and the hydraulic tensioner just pulled the belt up nice and tight.

There is no tensioner. I managed to tighten the belt by adjusting the injection pump mount bracket.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So, the 90q is back to being road ready.

Because we're moving. New house, not far away.

Unfortunately, also discovered the 90q's heater core is going out, fogging up the interior.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

New home, who dis.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Aw yea. Check out the Audi Patio Party.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Nice fine! Regular garage in front for the DD's then around back for full basement garage?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

NitroSpazzz posted:

Nice fine! Regular garage in front for the DD's then around back for full basement garage?

Theres no garage upfront, but we're extending the cement pad upfront to add parking for cars.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I did a thing. And, yes, its TDI

Had the emissions mods done in December 2018, and now the AdBlue system is upset, but taking it in under warranty.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 25, 2019

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
AdBlue pump failed, but it's a warranty item, but it's going on the list of things to keep spares of.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

CommieGIR posted:

I did a thing. And, yes, its TDI

Had the emissions mods done in December 2018, and now the AdBlue system is upset, but taking it in under warranty.

Is it the 3-litre or the 4.2?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

biglads posted:

Is it the 3-litre or the 4.2?

3 liter. 4.2 still commands a hefty premium

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

CommieGIR posted:

3 liter. 4.2 still commands a hefty premium

I have the 3.0 TDI in my 2008 A6. It's a great engine, normally lazy and relaxed, revving at <2,000 at 70mph but can absolutely press on when encouraged. I do get tempted when I see second hand A8s come up at decent prices with the 4.2 though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

biglads posted:

I have the 3.0 TDI in my 2008 A6. It's a great engine, normally lazy and relaxed, revving at <2,000 at 70mph but can absolutely press on when encouraged. I do get tempted when I see second hand A8s come up at decent prices with the 4.2 though.

It's impressively aggressive when called for, that variable vane turbo really does work a treat when you need boost right away.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Q7 is back from dealer service, DEF pump had a recall on it, we're back in business.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Q7 had its downstream NOx sensor replaced, nothing since then.

We're still going, and we have gotten more parts, but we're finishing up the move and house sale, so hang tight AI.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Spring time, time to warm up all the engines and charge some batteries:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EZa3q218JQ

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Have a client who wants to install the 034 Turbo kit on his 90 Coupe Quattro, so that'll be some new work, with photos. Coming up in April!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Awesome, that's one of my favorite vag cars, like way up there.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

shy boy from chess club posted:

Awesome, that's one of my favorite vag cars, like way up there.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
one of my clients brought his 200q 20vT by for fuel lines and other work, its a looker to be sure