Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

An insane mind posted:

What the gently caress is the 5G problem? Is it internet breaking the soundbarrier so hard you go unconscious? I thought that would only happen at 7G.

Lol, they think radio waves are dangerous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

ikanreed posted:

Lol, they think radio waves are dangerous

Please be joking. :psyduck:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

An insane mind posted:

sorry, bud

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

An insane mind posted:

these are the same people who think Chemtrails are real.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Radio waves are electromagnetic RADIATION! Radiation is bad, everyone knows that. It's nucular! Cleanse yourself of toxins naturally with pure, safe, healing sunlight instead.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

An insane mind posted:

There's a really good Werner Herzog doc on Netflix called Lo and Behold that profiles some of them. Honestly, I'm pretty sure it's mental illness because these folks are CONVINCED that WiFi is eroding their brains.

https://youtu.be/snngKtwDDVU

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

An insane mind posted:

Let me introduce you to the people who try to get a measure banning wifi in public schools on every local ballot:

http://www.stayonthetruth.com/wifi-health-effects-portland-public-schools-board.php

“So this is your legacy: like the Emperor who has no clothes, you will have stood on the sidelines in a fable while the Wireless Industry has paraded their naked untruths and misinformation, have trotted out their doubt about Wi-Fi health effects on children in schools. As if Wi-Fi is magic that floats through the air like butterflies. But Wi-Fi is not magic; and the Emperor has not clothes.”

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Didn't Jill Stein have some anti-wifi nuttery in her platform? I know the Green Party here in Canada definitely did.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/elizabeth-may-wages-war-against-wifi/article617404/

https://twitter.com/ElizabethMay/status/96091744076177409?s=19

I'm the "posted from my BlackBerry"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

wizzardstaff posted:

Let me introduce you to the people who try to get a measure banning wifi in public schools on every local ballot:

http://www.stayonthetruth.com/wifi-health-effects-portland-public-schools-board.php

“So this is your legacy: like the Emperor who has no clothes, you will have stood on the sidelines in a fable while the Wireless Industry has paraded their naked untruths and misinformation, have trotted out their doubt about Wi-Fi health effects on children in schools. As if Wi-Fi is magic that floats through the air like butterflies. But Wi-Fi is not magic; and the Emperor has not clothes.”

they stuck this poo poo in stickers in the backs of almost every street sign in menlo park, with a big ol' link to infowars.com

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Wow. That's uh...that's really something. What's the over/under for these people going 100% Trump and also all in on the Q thing.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

wizzardstaff posted:

I don't understand how this works, therefore it must be bad.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Dalael posted:

I don't want to understand how this works, therefore it must be bad.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

flashy_mcflash posted:

Didn't Jill Stein have some anti-wifi nuttery in her platform? I know the Green Party here in Canada definitely did.

yea iirc she didn't outright support it but gave it one of those lukewarm "we should look into this" things

for years my mother-in-law wouldn't let me set her up with wifi b/c she heard the somewhat more mainstream alarmism about cell-phones, and extrapolated it to wifi. i wound up finally convincing her by flipping this around: cell phones transmit at higher power in order to have much longer range than wifi, and people put them right up to their head to use them, so if 20 years of cell phones haven't fried anyone's brains it's impossible for wifi to do it

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
lol @ the 2nd google hit for "illness power lines": safe space protection

:argh: millennials and their safe spaces :argh:

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I thought all the wifi crazies moved to that town next to an enormous radio telescope in bumblefuck that doesn't let you use a bunch of wireless stuff because it interferes with the enormous radio telescope.

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Volcott posted:

I thought all the wifi crazies moved to that town next to an enormous radio telescope in bumblefuck that doesn't let you use a bunch of wireless stuff because it interferes with the enormous radio telescope.

:thunk:

I get the feeling these people may not understand what radiation is

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

fun fact, the person who discovered radio waves thought it was totally useless and said as much in his research paper. He was just wanting to prove another dude who mathematically predicted their existence

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

great job, idiot

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

:thunk:

I get the feeling these people may not understand what radiation is

I mean, they objectively don't, or they wouldn't be a thing.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

zegermans posted:

fun fact, the person who discovered radio waves thought it was totally useless and said as much in his research paper. He was just wanting to prove another dude who mathematically predicted their existence

We certainly showed him, shitposting over radio waves is an international pastime now.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I can't find it but there have been a few people who have taken apart various EMF filtering devices. Ones that plug into a wall and USB ones. There was nothing inside them other than some kind of insulator, like a cork material or whatever. At most hey just lit up a LED telling you it was powered on. These things cost over $200 and they take away people's wifi headaches. It's hilarious

e: here's one I just googled

https://www.amazon.com/eLink-EMF-Neutralizer-Protection-Device/dp/B00TRM0UI4

One star reviews:

quote:

A 100% FRAUD! Opened this thing up & found NO COMPONENTS! It is Just a Normal Fancy Plug Filled with EPOXY! The only thing it does is Empty Your Bank Account! If yo want TRUE EMF Protection the Only Thing That Works It METAL SHIELDING Like Copper, Brass or Aluminum! Heck, Coating your Walls & Ceiling with Thick Aluminum Foil Works Great. Use it like Wallpaper and you will notice the Difference. No Cell Phone or Radio Signals will get through.. Copper works Best but is Expensive

^ that person is still nuts in regards to electricity giving you headaches but at least he gets that this is poo poo

quote:

Bought this thing a couple of years ago and always wondered what was inside. Inside it is a bunch of nothing. Bend over is what they should call it.

quote:

This is an absolute joke- product has zero components ( the screw is not mechanically relevant as it's a single cast piece and Had zero effect on EMF mitigation. Can't return- very unsatisfied and disappointed that Amazon would allow such a scam with zero option to return.

5 star review:

quote:

I bought this eLink product taking the chance that it could be a total scam. I have done quite a bit of reading about emfs over the past several years and the stress and disease they can cause to the body, and I knew I had to do something. At first I wanted to simply get the internet wired into the house to cut back the emfs from the wifi, but we have been renting and the electrician I consulted told me it would cost several hundred dollars to get this done, due to the configuration of our apartment, so I decided to give the eLink a try, as it is so much more affordable, and then judge it by empirical evidence.
One important issue that has been dogging me for so many years is the fact that my daughter has suffered greatly and often, from severe headaches for much of her life. We have been to many doctors and tried so many things, with very little success. These headaches often occur 2-3 times a week and have made her miss work, social events and just put a constant dark cloud over her life. As her mother, I feel a heavy, personal responsibility to find some way to give her a chance for a happier, more rewarding life. I thought to myself, what if it is from the emfs? For that reason, alone, it would be worth it to try this, and if nothing else, to rule this out as a cause, if it didn't help.
Well, I have to say that, so far, I am amazed! I plugged it in, not even to the wall outlet, but into a multi plug strip going to an outlet, on Feb 1. 2017(possibly even a few days earlier). It is now the 18th-2 1/2 weeks and not one headache! I almost can't believe this is really happening. Also, our apartment is on two floors, and she sleeps in a room the floor above where the plug is plugged in, not even on the same floor. I have no clue how this works, but I believe it is doing something very good. I am praying that this continues. I will try to update this review to let you know how things are going. But, for today, all I can say is Bravo!
I have been so accustomed to coming home and calling upstairs to my daughter, and having her say she is in bed with a bad headache at 4 or 5 in the afternoon and not coming down until the morning when it has finally gone away, or seeing her come home from work during the day, due to a very bad headache, or having New Year's Eve plans or Birthday plans completely ruined by these headaches. I am just realizing today, as I write this, that instead of this scenario, she is out all day or late at night having spent time with friends and doing creative projects that she has often been too sick to do in the past, which is so frustrating for her, or if she has made herself do them, it is under great duress, as she is trying to manage, with a bad headache. What a joy to see my daughter for the past 2-3 weeks, so much happier and more active, and not held back by constant headaches! Thank you eLink and Amazon!

This device is currently rated 3.3/5 stars and it's not as expensive as other ones I've seen

Scrotum Modem has issued a correction as of 20:47 on Jan 27, 2019

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

tired: what's the point of 5G if it just means i'll be able to reach my soft data cap within minutes instead of hours?

wired: 5G WILL LITERALLY KILL YOU AND TURN YOU INTO A DEMON

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Epic High Five posted:

tired: what's the point of 5G if it just means i'll be able to reach my soft data cap within minutes instead of hours?

wired: 5G WILL LITERALLY KILL YOU AND TURN YOU INTO A DEMON

As I lust for death and being a demon sounds pretty hardcore bring 5g on now.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Wasn't there literally just a study from Berkeley going "Uh we might want to double check this guys" with regards to cell phones and poo poo or am I losing my mind (from wifi you see). Because that's literally all I know on the topic.

Telsa Cola has issued a correction as of 21:19 on Jan 27, 2019

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

Telsa Cola posted:

Wasn't there literally just a study from Berkeley going "Uh we might want to double check this guys" with regards to cell phones and poo poo or am I losing my mind (from wifi you see).

from everything i've read, the current scientific consensus seems to be "it's not good to constantly hold a cell phone against your fleshy parts" but afaik there's zero evidence that it causes headaches or anything like that. like it may, if you literally are on the phone all the time, give you a statistically significant increase in the incidence of cancer, but i don't think the evidence is even clear on that.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Telsa Cola posted:

Wasn't there literally just a study from Berkeley going "Uh we might want to double check this guys" with regards to cell phones and poo poo or am I losing my mind (from wifi you see). Because that's literally all I know on the topic.

quote:

Radiation exposure in the trial was well above the levels most humans would experience, but researchers said the findings show the link between radio frequencies and tumours – at least for rats – “is real”.

“The exposures used in the studies cannot be compared directly to the exposure that humans experience when using a cell phone,” said Dr John Bucher, a senior scientist at the NTP.

“In our studies, rats and mice received radio frequency radiation across their whole bodies. By contrast, people are mostly exposed in specific local tissues close to where they hold the phone.

“In addition, the exposure levels and durations in our studies were greater than what people experience.”

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
This reminds me of the various bullshit gadgets you can plug into your cigarette lighter or put under your hood to magically increase the fuel efficiency of your car.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Halloween Jack posted:

This reminds me of the various bullshit gadgets you can plug into your cigarette lighter or put under your hood to magically increase the fuel efficiency of your car.

There is a magic way to make the fuel in your car last longer. You can make a whole tank last twice as long using this method. It's called walking instead.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

jobson groeth posted:

There is a magic way to make the fuel in your car last longer. You can make a whole tank last twice as long using this method. It's called walking instead.

If you walk everywhere and your tank only lasts twice as long you either need to fix your car or keep an eye on your neighbors siphoning your gas.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

BUSH 2112 posted:

from everything i've read, the current scientific consensus seems to be "it's not good to constantly hold a cell phone against your fleshy parts" but afaik there's zero evidence that it causes headaches or anything like that. like it may, if you literally are on the phone all the time, give you a statistically significant increase in the incidence of cancer, but i don't think the evidence is even clear on that.

Thanks, yeah I did some more research after the post and all the human testing seems to show no effects but there have been a bunch of rodent testing ones which have which I guess is why the consensus is to not tape your phone to your head. Jobsons quote points out why that might be though which is neat.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
rightwing fringe: deep state jade helm one world government death panels
leftwing fringe: big ag gmos homeopathic meds tech polluting my body with emf
horseshoe fringe: big govt is killing ppl with vaccines and flouridated water

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lol, the audiophile market is decades ahead of the RF paranoia markets in terms of useless little harmonizing gadgets that cost hundreds

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Epic High Five posted:

lol, the audiophile market is decades ahead of the RF paranoia markets in terms of useless little harmonizing gadgets that cost hundredsthousands

https://www.stereophile.com/cdplayers/boulder_1021_disc_player/index.html

Militant Lesbian has issued a correction as of 22:10 on Jan 27, 2019

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Telsa Cola posted:

the test had the rats/ mice sit in rooms built specifically so the radio signal evenly propagated throughout the rooms. the power was turned on/off in 10 minute intervals throughout their entire lives while in this room.

if you complain of weak signal output of either cellular or wifi , then this is not anywhere close to the environment set up during the tests.

here is the study with separate pdfs for both rats and mice were you can see the environment.

https://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/about/org/sep/trpanel/meetings/docs/2018/march/materials.html

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Halloween Jack posted:

Somewhere in my toolbox is a device advertised to increase fuel economy. It was in a used car I bought.
It's just a spade connector on a wire leading to a small metal box. Inside is a resistor. And that's it.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
aren’t lab rats designed to get cancer from literally everything or something?

a hippie chick gave us a couple emf scalar devices to counteract the effects of the cell tower that’s active on our facility. the general recipe is copper wire, iron fillings, and a epoxy mold. they look pretty cool as decor but I doubt they tap in the zero point field

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Dr. Killjoy posted:

aren’t lab rats designed to get cancer from literally everything or something?

a hippie chick gave us a couple emf scalar devices to counteract the effects of the cell tower that’s active on our facility. the general recipe is copper wire, iron fillings, and a epoxy mold. they look pretty cool as decor but I doubt they tap in the zero point field

That's orgonite!

A previous tenant in my house was big into orgonite and sold it on his website for a while. I was curious about it when I moved in so I spent some time on random EMF protection websites. My big takeaway was that orgonite proponents all swore by its effectiveness but knew that skeptics wouldn't believe them, so they recommended molding it into aesthetically pleasing shapes and giving them away as decorative gifts. "Your friends and family will still be protected, just don't tell them their new paperweight generates a scalar wave vortex to shield against EMF or they'll throw it out and not invite you to Thanksgiving."

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
before smartphones they sold these little stickers that ppl put on the inside case of their cell phones. sometimes they were marketed as reducing radiation, other times as boosting signal. weird how none of the big phone manufacturers built magic signal booster tech directly into their phones, seems like it'd be a pretty good selling point in a competitive market

Carl Von Awesomwitz
May 2, 2006

Sisko Lied, Romulans Died

An insane mind posted:

david dees never jokes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Carl Von Awesomwitz posted:

david dees never jokes

The politoons thread is the only positive contribution of d&d to the world