Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Just talk about how electricity really works and you should be good to go.

You mean telling people to lick the electrodes? Or are we talking about forks in the outlet?
Personally I'm a fan of inviting people to hug the Tesla coil. Telling people how electricity works isn't as fun as having them learn by doing.
Then again, I am also that rear end in a top hat that leaves charged breadboard capacitors on common area tables. You would be surprised how many people love to see with their hands...

I am however excited about the Fab Lab class. I think I am going to abuse the shopbot and build a desk, and then laser engrave something offensive into my coffee mug.
The Professor (whom I have had previously for Programmable Logic Controllers and Robotics) has assured me that I will be bored in this class. Personally, that sounds like a challenge to find my own amusement...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
I’m pretty sure that school policy is 2 unexcused absences for 100 level classes but somehow we get three in psych. One guy in class asks what happens if more than three are missed and the professor says it’s 2.5 points off your final grade for each class after three. The guy gets straight up indignant, opens up his laptop, pulls up rate my professor and starts writing a review on the first day in the middle of class. College is wild.

Psych also has two take home quizzes “just in case to boost your grade” and is stil somehow more of a real class than what follows it on my schedule. 90% of Intro to Healthcare is listening to guest speakers and writing in a journal about how we felt after. It also has a take home FINAL.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Honestly I don't see the problem with a take home final. I'd rather someone be able to come up with a correct answer using material & notes than someone who just rote memorizes something without having the slightest understanding of what it actually means.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
100/200 level classes with a few exceptions are largely mickey mouse like that. They have to have absolutely insane attendance policies largely because the content is incredibly easy/boring/etc. and often mandated by either the state, the school certifying accreditation board, a professional board, or all three. There's also a lot of regulatory attention on overall grades in general education courses because it tends to impact high school funding and performance scores with regards to college preparatory levels. That's...a bad combination.

My Intro to Sociology course that I took my first semester required written proof beyond the second absence. My 300/400 + graduate program had a "lol if you miss these classes you're gonna fail, dumbass, roll the dice if you dare" statement on them.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I usually translate "Take Home Final" to "This is going to take me at least twice as long as studying for and taking a real final would". Ease of class is separate from how much was learned in class as well. You can still gain a lot from an easy class if you choose to.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My exit exams for my masters were take home. Though they were of the 'hey, pick up this packet noon on Friday and return it noon on Monday, btw you have to write about 65 pages good luck'

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Why does my Conflict Management class require watching two or three TED talks.

Why do people treat TED talks like some kind of accurate information source.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

BigDave posted:

Are they TED talks or TEDx talks? A TED talk is official and usually has someone with some credentials. A TEDx talk can be done by anyone about anything.

Re: attendance, on professor said he wouldn't pass someone who missed a certain number of classes even if they got a passing grade from assignments. I'm not one to skip classes anymore, but if someone passes the class, who gives a poo poo if they show up?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

BigDave posted:

They are making you angry to see how you manage it, on purpose.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Beat the teacher's loving head in to teach them a lesson.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Even Ted talks arent that great. Let's convey a complex idea in a short time period without a lot of supporting info and then assume it won't be misinterpreted further... It's a live action meme.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

lightpole posted:

Even Ted talks arent that great. Let's convey a complex idea in a short time period without a lot of supporting info and then assume it won't be misinterpreted further... It's a live action meme.

Gonna steal that, and yeah they're TEDx talks.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

It turns out the other two undergrads in my lab didn't actually do as much work on their research projects last semester as they said so I get to write two abstracts for two posters for a student research fair since the two projects I'm working on tie into the work of the others.

Of course they're due on Monday. Yay first day of classes.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Vasudus posted:

My 300/400 + graduate program had a "lol if you miss these classes you're gonna fail, dumbass, roll the dice if you dare" statement on them.

We got a weird blend of this and a sympathetic "we understand life happens so if you need to miss something we can work with you"

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I actually did it :toot:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Geography is an arts degree?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Lots of degrees can be either BA/BS or MA/MS. Some schools give you the choice, some schools do not. Some schools have a considerable difference in curriculum, others do not.

My masters could have been either a MS, requiring roughly five semesters of statistics, or it could be an MA, requiring two semesters of stats, a qualitative research course, and a follow-on qualitative research project.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

It's a choice between BA/BS for Geography at my university, the only difference is in gen ed requirements. I didn't want to do all the extra math when for GIS employment purposes it's probably not going to matter.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

DoktorLoken posted:

Congrats!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

:toot:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

DoktorLoken posted:

Congrats!!!!!!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

DoktorLoken posted:

I'M SICK WITH JEALOUSY!!!

Congrats!

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Doing 21 credits this semester because the building I'm studying in is being demolished and nothing will be available in the summer. Cool.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Woof Blitzer posted:

Doing 21 credits this semester because the building I'm studying in is being demolished and nothing will be available in the summer. Cool.

Holy poo poo. Where will your memorial service be held?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

DoktorLoken posted:

'Grats, duder!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

DoktorLoken posted:

CONGRATS!!!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

DoktorLoken posted:

Congrats, dude!

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Congrats Doctor Loken

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
So I'm aiming to get my masters at NYU but I don't think my current ETS date (21 June) facilitates getting all of my GI Bill benefits. Normally I'd call and ask but since I'm deployed do any of you guys know how it works to get full BAH while enrolled? Basically, the program starts in May so I would assume I still get my Ft. Campbell BAH until I ETS, after which I would start getting NYC BAH so long as I tell the VA that I'm living/working in the city.

Triggs fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 27, 2019

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Triggs posted:

So I'm aiming to get my masters at NYU but I don't think my current ETS date (21 June) facilitates getting all of my GI Bill benefits. Normally I'd call and ask but since I'm deployed do any of you guys know how it works to get full BAH while enrolled? Basically, the program starts in May so I would assume I still get my Ft. Campbell BAH until I ETS, after which I would start getting NYC BAH so long as I tell the VA that I'm living/working in the city.

gently caress NYU, go to Columbia.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
gently caress Columbia, go to The New School

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Triggs posted:

I honestly don't think you can get BAH on the GI Bill if you haven't separated yet.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Correct, you can't get BAH from the GI bill while on active. You won't get any for the month of May, and you won't get the full June payments. Chances are it'll be annoying as poo poo to convince the VA that you're actually off AD so you probably won't get your actual housing until maybe late July. Better have scanned copies of your DD-214 and access to a fax machine and/or fax service.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

It may be common sense for some people, but I've never heard an answer for it: I only signed up for 3 grad credits this semester and while I think I knew that less than half-time wasn't eligible for BAH, I was curious how it would effect my remaining benefits. I got my cert letter from the VA today that only charged me a month and a half. I'm kind of balancing my last few months of Chap 33, so just an FYI for those of you further out.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

SquirrelyPSU posted:

It may be common sense for some people, but I've never heard an answer for it: I only signed up for 3 grad credits this semester and while I think I knew that less than half-time wasn't eligible for BAH, I was curious how it would effect my remaining benefits. I got my cert letter from the VA today that only charged me a month and a half. I'm kind of balancing my last few months of Chap 33, so just an FYI for those of you further out.

For VA purposes, a month is a full time month. So if you have 5 months of eligibility remaining you can do 15 months of 3 credit hours (assuming the program is 9 for full time status)

Certifications should also be prorated now under the forever GI Bill. Before they were rounded up to a month no matter how cheap.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Is that a new thing? When I was taking classes I thought it used a month for each month you were enrolled no matter how many credits you were taking

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

brand engager posted:

Is that a new thing? When I was taking classes I thought it used a month for each month you were enrolled no matter how many credits you were taking

I've only been researching for a few years so I can't tell you if it newer or not, but I don't believe so.

Here's an article that explains it for chapter 30. I'm phone posting so it's harder to search but chapter 33 should be the same.

https://gibill.custhelp.va.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/18/kw/Partial%20month

The relevant part is at the bottom.

quote:

Rates & months of entitlement are adjusted proportionally according to your enrollment. If you are enrolled for less than full-time training, the months of entitlement will increase. For example, if you’re enrolled for ½ time training, you’ll receive 72 months of benefits instead of 36. However, your monthly payment will be ½ of that paid for full-time enrollment.

Your rate will vary based off the school and program so you should always talk to a counselor first for verification.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 28, 2019

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I made the honor society requirements! I went from a 2.1 to a 3.0 in a year with an average of 3.4 on upper division classes. Sent the application today. should hear something soon.

Achieving goals you set out to do feels good. It may ultimately mean nothing in the end, but at least I made my standard.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

That’s awesome dude :toot:

sorry, I mean NERD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Soulex posted:

I made the honor society requirements! I went from a 2.1 to a 3.0 in a year with an average of 3.4 on upper division classes. Sent the application today. should hear something soon.

Achieving goals you set out to do feels good. It may ultimately mean nothing in the end, but at least I made my standard.

:hf:

Your goals are all that matter, nuts to trying to keep up with the Joneses and all that nonsense.