Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

I never want to go back to Gen 1 types where Psychic was the literal best type that absolutely nothing else could ever match.

Now that ghost and bug type moves actually exist (assuming the ghost bug is fixed) it would basically be like gen 3-5 dragon except without the 120 power moves or useful resistances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Another reason Psychic was so ridiculous was because of Special attack & Defense being the same stat.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I saw this fishing game on the eShop today and I'm pretty sure the character designer was Yusuke Ohmura of Pokemon fame. He's been freelance since 2016 but still designed the Sun and Moon main characters.
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/fishing-star-world-tour-switch

It's also $30 so it better be decent.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 28, 2019

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Speaking of fishing, when are we getting Magikarp Jump 2?

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

Huh, never noticed how much the SuMo protags look like they're wearing Team Aqua/Team Magma themed shoes. Or how badly their outfits clashed. You can tell these are kids because they can't accessorize for pokébeans.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Blaze Dragon posted:

I never want to go back to Gen 1 types where Psychic was the literal best type that absolutely nothing else could ever match.

I think most every complaint about type matches comes from this honestly. By that I mean Gen 1 was designed as a straightforward single player RPG where some types are supposed to suck or be better. Like Psychic was generally supposed to be the big strong endgame type, Bugs were supposed to be crappy early game things so them being the only type effective against psychic is like a fun gimmick/secret. Or Dragons are obviously designed to just be a "final boss" type for Lance to use. Or why there's only one ghost family, because it's supposed to be a dungeon gimmick for the Pokemon Tower (Oh no! My normal moves don't work!) rather than part of some holistic type system.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They may have sorta done away with the hierarchy of types, but it’s still frustrating that some Pokemon are completely useless. Who can actually use Ariados or Farfetch’d or Dunsparce?

Some of them have gimmicks and that makes things somewhat better. Like Chimecho can use Heal Bell. And Sableye has no weakness. But many are just pointless or irredeemable.

I think it’s lazy design.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I have used my good friend Farfetch'd several times. Sure he is bad and never makes it to the end of the game but for a pokemon that's a pretty early trade in a couple of games he can do alright for a while.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Mierenneuker posted:

I surely will impress people with my Weezing dress shirt.

As someone who's looking to become a grade school teacher this is actually fun and nice

Dehry posted:

I saw this fishing game on the eShop today and I'm pretty sure the character designer was Yusuke Ohmura of Pokemon fame. He's been freelance since 2016 but still designed the Sun and Moon main characters.

It's like poetry, it rhymes

The Golden Gael fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 28, 2019

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Vegetable posted:

They may have sorta done away with the hierarchy of types, but it’s still frustrating that some Pokemon are completely useless. Who can actually use Ariados or Farfetch’d or Dunsparce?

Some of them have gimmicks and that makes things somewhat better. Like Chimecho can use Heal Bell. And Sableye has no weakness. But many are just pointless or irredeemable.

I think it’s lazy design.
You can use all of these pokemon in the games completely fine. Does every pokemon specifically have to be competitively viable?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Amppelix posted:

You can use all of these pokemon in the games completely fine. Does every pokemon specifically have to be competitively viable?

It's kind of the opposite for me. I absolutely cannot bring myself to use Legendaries and such. It just feels like cheating.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

galagazombie posted:

It's kind of the opposite for me. I absolutely cannot bring myself to use Legendaries and such. It just feels like cheating.
I'm fine with cheating, especially if I like the mons, but legends and especially mythicals have a thing for getting banned in alot of things that can reward ribbons, so I try not to get attached.

My team is my favourite three starters/some of the best ones, and my main man Pikachu though. So i'm maybe not the authority on pokemon taste.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mythical and legendary are there to be caught to remove them from the wild because they are too dangerous

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Dehry posted:

That girl definitely looks like she came straight out of the Let's Go games.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Takoluka posted:

That girl definitely looks like she came straight out of the Let's Go games.

Complete with stupid hat that will identify you to other goons.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

It took 142 throws across three attempts, but I finally caught my last available wild Zygarde in a Beast Ball.

Trying to think of what other endgame stuff I need to do in Ultra Moon. Somehow I missed the ever Stone, so I should go look up where that is, I suppose.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Who are the easiest master trainers to beat in Let's Go to unlock red? I have a pretty good Pokemon Go account so I'm fine with using alolan types to transfer.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

seiferguy posted:

Who are the easiest master trainers to beat in Let's Go to unlock red? I have a pretty good Pokemon Go account so I'm fine with using alolan types to transfer.

Anything that has an Alolan or Mega, usually

Clefairy only has Sing and Metronome

Have fun pressing B 65 times for Weedle and Caterpie

Anything that learns Dig/Fly, Protect, Toxic

Get a Chansey and teach it Toxic, Protect and Brick Break to break its Reflect/Light Screen

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

If you prefer grinding to winning fights, make your team entirely the three legendary birds, Mewtwo, and Ditto (and Meltan if applicable) and get them to a high enough level to be recognized by their masters.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The starter Pikachu is halfway between a wild Pikachu and a Raichu in stats. If you kept it on your team it should be ready to go.

Same with the Eevee

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Biggest tragedy in Let's go is that you can't breed Super Eevees you just have to train up Eevees you catch at lvl 40.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Aristide posted:

Huh, never noticed how much the SuMo protags look like they're wearing Team Aqua/Team Magma themed shoes. Or how badly their outfits clashed. You can tell these are kids because they can't accessorize for pokébeans.

Those are Litten and Popplio shoes actually.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kikas posted:

Those are Litten and Popplio shoes actually.

why even design them if you aren't going to sell them irl

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Amppelix posted:

I feel like nothing should ever be weak to normal. That's the type's whole thing. If something was ever weak to normal literally every pokemon ever would suddenly have free super effective coverage against that type.

I can understand that, but I think it would really add to the feel that these Fairy types are fragile, unique creatures that usually stay hidden for good reason. It’d actually give you a reason to use Normal moves after the early game. If that is too extreme, then just let Normal types resist Fairy for the same reason they’re immune to Ghost: because they’re too “normal” to be impacted by the supernatural.

I still think that Grass should be immune to them. Mostly for thematic reasons (fairies would never harm nature), but also just because Grass could really, really use some buffs since it’s a starter type and Fairy could stand to be taken down a peg.

I am adamant that Grass should resist Rock and be strong against Electic, but that’s mostly because I want to improve a lot of the weaker types and limit some of the stronger ones. The type chart needs some serious overhaul for the sake of balance while remaing thematically appropriate.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Grass is already a pretty great defensive type, the biggest problem with grass types is poor movepools. Only a handful of grass types have an offensive movepool beyond STABs or support moves outside of Toxic and Leech Seed.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

No I don't think any change to type balance based entirely on the head Canon you made up on what the true essence of a type should be would be a great idea.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Unnerf Steel. That is all.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

qnqnx posted:

Unnerf Steel. That is all.

:yeah:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Geostomp posted:

I can understand that, but I think it would really add to the feel that these Fairy types are fragile, unique creatures that usually stay hidden for good reason. It’d actually give you a reason to use Normal moves after the early game. If that is too extreme, then just let Normal types resist Fairy for the same reason they’re immune to Ghost: because they’re too “normal” to be impacted by the supernatural.
There is a reason to use normal moves, and it's called STAB bonus on your normal-type heavy hitters. Return is an incredibly good move.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Personally I just wish they'd retcon Gengar (and gastly and haunter, I suppose) to make it not poison typing, because hey, the only two things you're powerful against are also powerful against you, plus you have a horrible health stat :shepface:

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Gengar being a poison type was pretty ok back when it had Levitate since the immunity to toxic, pile of resistances and decently strong poison moves were more helpful than the weakness to psychic was detrimental. But trading the immunity to ground for a weakness really sucks. RIP OU Gengar.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Vegetable posted:

And Sableye has no weakness.

fairy?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
There's also the problem of Rock vs. Ground. Which I am convinced was born out of some miscommunication during Gen 1's development. While they're not Identical, their type matches are just way too similar to the point they don't feel like they play differently. The problem even continues thematically. There's not a single Pokemon of either type that wouldn't make sense if the types were condensed. If you told someone that Sandslash was Rock or that Stakataka was Ground they wouldn't have cause to doubt you.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Rock type is for stuff made out of rocks (geodude) and ground type is for stuff that lives on the ground (sandshrew). also don't ask me how aerodactyl or rattata or whatever work

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
aerodactyl is made out of rocks and it flies what's there not to get

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Most ground types live or can move underground like moles, shrews or land sharks.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The point is they're both rock/earth themed. It be like if there was a "Fish Type" in addition to Water. Like yeah you could split them, but why would you?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Because Charmander has to be hard mode.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

It doesn't help that just about everything in Gen I was Rock/Ground anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ground = Earth stuff attached to the ground.

Rock = earth stuff you can throw.

That's why flying types are immune to ground attacks, but you can hit them super hard with rocks.