Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
for as many faults as SF5 has it's still a better game than SF4 because the parts of SF5 that are good are really good while everything about SF4 is the most bland grey middle of the road nonsense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

darealkooky posted:

for as many faults as SF5 has it's still a better game than SF4 because the parts of SF5 that are good are really good while everything about SF4 is the most bland grey middle of the road nonsense

good bait

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Just get SF5. Its good and you’ll get an online match in seconds any time of day.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

BGrifter posted:

So uh, I've had a craving to break out the old PS3 Fightstick and play some Street Fighter lately. I figured by now they must have unfucked everything wrong with SFV enough for it to be worth a look but after reading the last five or so pages, holy poo poo... :stare:

So um... I'm guessing the better option is to snag the PS4 version of USF4?

Yikes.
SFV is fine, not sure why people whine so much.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
It costs $60 to get all the characters and online is still unplayable 3 years later.

edit: $65 because Kage is not in a season pass.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

It costs $60 to get all the characters and online is still unplayable 3 years later.

Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition doesn't include all the characters? :psyduck:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Arcade Edition costs $40 and includes the first two seasons.

Season 3 costs $30

Kage costs I think $6

$76 before buying costumes and stages.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

BGrifter posted:

Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition doesn't include all the characters? :psyduck:

Sakura, Blanka, Falke, Cody, G, Sagat and Kage are not included, neither are any stages added as DLC any time after vanilla V’s launch

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
it seems like a decent deal when it was on sale. if you do the cartoon storymode things it'll give you enough points to unlock any character iirc.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
iunno it just seems like relentless negativity based on an incredibly poor release. I picked this back up last February and have been playing it on and off since then, and had no consistent connection issues in ranked or in lobbies, if I run into a random wifi warrior I just blacklist them and move on.

Spending 70+ dollarydoos over the span of a year doesn't hurt that badly for me, i find it fun enough to justify the peanuts I'm spending on it.

There's always matches, and the ranking system feels like every match is close at the level I'm at.

it's a shame BGrifter didn't get in on it when the base game was free for a week or so.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

welp, as a pc player its either this or tekken until the superior virtua fighter series gets a sequel and somehow ends up on steam :negative:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
tekken is good and sf5 isn't so it's a pretty easy choice

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Sestze posted:

iunno it just seems like relentless negativity based on an incredibly poor release.

Yeah that must be it

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
I don't think anyone gives enough of a poo poo to explain why SFV is garbage for the umpteenth time.

UNIST is a real fun, ground-based fg that's pretty begginer friendly, with the most thorough tutorial ever and the discord server is packed enough to find someone to run sets with faster than a SFV matchmaking queue would pop (on steam at least).

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Yeah that must be it
a lot of the issues got fixed, and it's the same dudes rolling through and saying "it's poo poo play ____ instead"

i left the fg discord for goons because ya'll are negative pissbabys about just about everything and it makes interacting with you guys tiresome

Sestze fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 28, 2019

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Thief posted:

welp, as a pc player its either this or tekken until the superior virtua fighter series gets a sequel and somehow ends up on steam :negative:

yeah tekken has players https://steamcharts.com/app/389730 ... but...
MKX has like the same amount of players https://steamcharts.com/app/307780
dbfz has more players that both of them https://steamcharts.com/app/678950

(these completely blow sfv out of the water https://steamcharts.com/app/310950 )

there are several choices for fighting randos online if thats what you want to do, but thats the worst possible way to enjoy fighting games anyway.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
What part is blowing SFV out of the water besides DBFZ all time peak? Look at the average per month, outside of MK it seems like the rest had 1000+ daily.

Also with SFV you get the benefit of PS4 cross play. I don’t know if any of the others have that feature. PS4 population isn’t going to show up on those charts.

Like the previous person said, I’ll occasionally run into a WiFi player, but I just don’t rematch them and get someone new within seconds.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Sestze posted:

a lot of the issues got fixed, and it's the same dudes rolling through and saying "it's poo poo play ____ instead"

i left the fg discord for goons because ya'll are negative pissbabys about just about everything and it makes interacting with you guys tiresome

:yeah: it’s extremely tiring. I’ve always found the goon fgc very helpful but when it’s 80% toxic pissy assholes it gets absolutely fatiguing to exist with. It wasn’t always like this either but who knows. It’s a bit worse outside of the forums but that’s have changed lately.

Anyway I’ve been wanting to give SFV another shot so I think I’ll reinstall soon. The ads were loving atrocious but I guess they rolled that back. Might try DBFZ again too why the hyeck not.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 28, 2019

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Kilometers Davis posted:

:yeah: it’s extremely tiring. I’ve always found the goon fgc very helpful but when it’s 80% toxic pissy assholes it gets absolutely fatiguing to exist with. It wasn’t always like this either but who knows. It’s a bit worse outside of the forums but that’s have changed lately.

Anyway I’ve been wanting to give SFV another shot so I think I’ll reinstall soon. The ads were loving atrocious but I guess they rolled that back. Might try DBFZ again too why the hyeck not.
the ads reward like 4 FM per ranked match, but you can turn it all off in the options menu. it was a raw attempt at monetization that they're walking back.

I hang out on the New Challenger discord, they're helpful to new players and have lobbies for other games other than SFV.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Zand posted:

yeah tekken has players https://steamcharts.com/app/389730 ... but...
MKX has like the same amount of players https://steamcharts.com/app/307780
dbfz has more players that both of them https://steamcharts.com/app/678950

(these completely blow sfv out of the water https://steamcharts.com/app/310950 )

there are several choices for fighting randos online if thats what you want to do, but thats the worst possible way to enjoy fighting games anyway.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, the daily concurrent peak is irrelevant unless you happen to be in the exact correct timezone where that happens. The daily average is what matters.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Sestze posted:

Take it easy lemon squeezy

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

the best fighting game is Absolver but there's only like 100 ppl online and they're all drunken masters

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Double Bill posted:

In case you haven't figured it out yet, the daily concurrent peak is irrelevant unless you happen to be in the exact correct timezone where that happens. The daily average is what matters.

yeah you're right and I think only sfv on that list has cross play (although cross play just means fighting people using Wi-Fi)

the idea that the choices are between sfv and tekken is still wrong, imo you should really just play what you like with people you want to play with. I play melty blood and xmen vs sf with a pool of like 20 total players and have no problems getting high quality matches nightly. there are a ton of sfv players and if you do matchmaking outside of game with people that aren't on wifi, the netcode isn't that bad

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/nagazino/status/1089719894587916288

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

happy 52nd birthday claw

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

For those who don't watch wrestling she ran under the ring and hid down there holding down back for half the round before she got stunned with a single mixup and eliminated

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sestze posted:

iunno it just seems like relentless negativity based on an incredibly poor release. I picked this back up last February and have been playing it on and off since then, and had no consistent connection issues in ranked or in lobbies, if I run into a random wifi warrior I just blacklist them and move on.

Spending 70+ dollarydoos over the span of a year doesn't hurt that badly for me, i find it fun enough to justify the peanuts I'm spending on it.

There's always matches, and the ranking system feels like every match is close at the level I'm at.

it's a shame BGrifter didn't get in on it when the base game was free for a week or so.

The thing with SFV netcode is that even if its playable for you, it's likely unplayable for the other player

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
I just remembered that despite pretty much everything else involving the game being a dumpster fire, MvC: Infinite actually had legitimately excellent netcode.

And yet SFV is the flagship game that Capcom has thrown all of their resources and time into, and they still can't unfuck the netplay after all these years.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Shiki Dan posted:

I just remembered that despite pretty much everything else involving the game being a dumpster fire, MvC: Infinite actually had legitimately excellent netcode.

And yet SFV is the flagship game that Capcom has thrown all of their resources and time into, and they still can't unfuck the netplay after all these years.

there was a rumor a while back that they were porting that netcode to sfv

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

In Training posted:

For those who don't watch wrestling she ran under the ring and hid down there holding down back for half the round before she got stunned with a single mixup and eliminated

A reasonably authentic experience.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Sestze posted:

Did they really double the walk speed and make every move do more damage

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I would probably give sfv another shot but 1/3 or so of the matches will be unplayably laggy, and I assume it's like that for my opponents in some of the matches where it's fine for me.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Sestze posted:

the ads reward like 4 FM per ranked match, but you can turn it all off in the options menu. it was a raw attempt at monetization that they're walking back.

I hang out on the New Challenger discord, they're helpful to new players and have lobbies for other games other than SFV.

Can you redo this invite

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

AdmiralViscen posted:

Can you redo this invite
Sure, New Challenger discord. You can pick it up on newchallenger.gg as well

ADTerminal
Jun 1, 2011
https://twitter.com/Bri4nF/status/1092802058594467841?s=20

Saw this tweet and it reminded me this thread exists

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That game is 10x cooler than SFV.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Sestze posted:

Sure, New Challenger discord. You can pick it up on newchallenger.gg as well

Thanks

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ADTerminal posted:

https://twitter.com/Bri4nF/status/1092802058594467841?s=20

Saw this tweet and it reminded me this thread exists

I feel like this held more water before SFV achieved near-DOA levels of tittilation.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Shiki Dan posted:

lol they didn't give a poo poo about SFV, they pocketed a bunch of money Sony threw at them for an exclusive and tried to have a tiny rear end team crank out a F2P game for 60 dollars (and 30 dollars every year afterwards) that would show just enough effort to sustain the brand name and not get Sony mad at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah, the flagship title within one of their most recognizable brands featuring crossplay and a huge esports push behind it that has received heaps of overpriced DLC surely has little importance to Capcom and little to no work being put into it. Hit the nail right on the head.