Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

Seph posted:

The foster program certainly has its flaws, don't get me wrong, but I'd almost certainly say it's better than a homeless mother who isn't looking out for their child. The state should absolutely take every possible measure to help parents get their kids to school, but at some point responsibility has to fall onto the parent. If they are unable or unwilling to get their child to school I think they are unfit to be a parent in general.

Are you loving serious?

I was homeless as a kid, at one point I was in a foster home. You know where I was better off? With my parents. We may have have been in a loving station wagon in 1982, traveling from town to town while my step dad looked for work, but my brother and I weren't shut in foster homes with overworked people and seriously damaged kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Seph posted:

The foster program certainly has its flaws, don't get me wrong, but I'd almost certainly say it's better than a homeless mother who isn't looking out for their child. The state should absolutely take every possible measure to help parents get their kids to school, but at some point responsibility has to fall onto the parent. If they are unable or unwilling to get their child to school I think they are unfit to be a parent in general.

You realize the solution is to give the parent help and support and not dump them into a meat grinder

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Spun Dog posted:

The way thing are structured, school don't get paid if students are not in attendance for a certain percentage of the year.

So there's your hosed up motivation for districts call the cops on a homeless mom.

Schools don't get paid if a student is absent? What the ever loving loving kind of system is that. It's like a profit motive for stuffing schools as full as possible and not give a gently caress about teaching them.

I am not looking forward to interacting with the school system when my children are of age.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

xov posted:

What's the general opinion of Kasich 'round these parts? Despite being on the wrong faction, something about him seems almost okay to me.
Nah he's a piece of poo poo.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

xov posted:

What's the general opinion of Kasich 'round these parts?
Despite being on the wrong faction, something about him seems almost okay to me.

kasich is that most dinosaurish of characters, a republican who seems to take the jesus stuff as meaning something. which is to say that he still wants to slash every social program, deregulate every industry, have planned parenthood burned to the ground, and reinstitute apartheid, but he wants to be polite about it and genuinely expects that christian charities will pick up all the slack.

there is a wonderful story of him storming out of a Koch seminar after saying "look, when I face St. Peter, i don't think he's going to be asking me about my tax reforms" that was 1. very clearly him setting up for his presidential run 2. just adorable, in its "oh, how cute, he thinks this is still a thing"ness.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

As a Wyatt Family distant cousin, I appreciated this reference.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

VitalSigns posted:

That was the incredible thing about that speech no one had even bothered to find out why her kids were absent until they took their homeless overworked mother downtown and charged her with a crime and threatened her with prison.

Tbh the threat of prison isn't even the real threat, the threat of her kids going into the foster system is the threat. Prison would be a break from working two jobs and living on the street. California minimum security wouldn't even be that unpleasant compared to living on the streets.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
https://twitter.com/jeffcarlson/status/1089950465909870592

One aspect of the shutdown that didn't get much play: access control issues.

Had the shutdown gone on for another week this would have been a pervasive or universal problem.

Edit: Just think of the social engineering opportunities!

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

VitalSigns posted:

gently caress you

Maybe instead of locking up people's parents for being homeless, we do something about the system that creates homelessness

Obviously the goal is to try to reduce homelessness and separating a child from their parents should be an absolute last resort. But we have to acknowledge this problem is happening now and requires an immediate solution rather than waiting for the homelessness problem to be fixed which will take years and years (and realistically might not ever be completely solved). A kid who is repeatedly missing school for years is statistically a lost cause.

And please don't do what this thread is great at and spin my post like I'm advocating to round up all homeless mothers and send them to jail immediately. All I'm saying is at some point, once all other options are exhausted, there needs to be a punishment for denying your child the fundamental right of an education.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Popete posted:

The video is a lot less damning than the tweet implies. She says they dropped the charges against the woman once she got her kids back in school.

I'm not trying to come in here as a defender of her cause I seriously don't know anything about her.

What the gently caress? The video is horrifying.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

VH4Ever posted:

Still stupid as hell. Especially when we're talking about the penalty for that being locking up parents. Or even threatening to lock up parents. The schools can't handle a 3 day absence without the loving DA stepping in? Gee, at my school, it had a whole office full of redundant paper pushers, those people can't just send some letters asking what's up, or make a phone call? Before the goddamn DA gets involved?

Boy, some people are just so casual with involving the cops in everything.

You gotta wonder about the kind of person who hears "we are considering taking their children from them" and wonders if that's not a threatening enough opener to the parent.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Seph posted:

Thank you for sharing your unbelievably ill-informed, useless, and completely wrong assumptions

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Seph posted:

Obviously the goal is to try to reduce homelessness and separating a child from their parents should be an absolute last resort. But we have to acknowledge this problem is happening now and requires an immediate solution rather than waiting for the homelessness problem to be fixed which will take years and years (and realistically might not ever be completely solved). A kid who is repeatedly missing school for years is statistically a lost cause.

And please don't do what this thread is great at and spin my post like I'm advocating to round up all homeless mothers and send them to jail immediately. All I'm saying is at some point, once all other options are exhausted, there needs to be a punishment for denying your child the fundamental right of an education.

Separating a child from their parents ought to be a last resort but since we're not doing anything else, let's separate a child from their parents as a first resort.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Uncleanly Cleric posted:

Are you loving serious?

I was homeless as a kid, at one point I was in a foster home. You know where I was better off? With my parents. We may have have been in a loving station wagon in 1982, traveling from town to town while my step dad looked for work, but my brother and I weren't shut in foster homes with overworked people and seriously damaged kids.

It sounds like you had parents who were looking out for you and trying to provide the best they could. That's not what I'm talking about. This is a situation where the mother couldn't even get their kids to go to school.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Seph posted:

Other options were not exhausted, though. This was literally an example of using the police to round people up and then dealing with the fallout on a case by case basis. No one was even aware of this woman's issue until she was in custody.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Whatever you do, just don't reveal details of our plans.

Bolton:
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1090006346026704896?s=19

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Radish posted:

Weird how it's a carrot and stick for parents of truant kids with real physical jail but financial criminals just learn their lesson without punishment.
Yeah, anyone who talks about L&O or incentive or table stakes needs to be rhetorically bashed in the head with that contradiction until the fact of the hypocrisy sinks in or they rhetorically die of a brain hemorrhage.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Seph posted:

Hey dipshit read the links about fostercare long term outcomes and get back to us about this brilliant position you're defending.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Tim Whatley posted:

Bolton:
There is, roughly speaking, a 0% chance this wasn't done intentionally in order to launch a trial balloon that doesn't look like a trial balloon.

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

Seph posted:

And please don't do what this thread is great at and spin my post like I'm advocating to round up all homeless mothers and send them to jail immediately.

Seph posted:

If they are unable or unwilling to get their child to school I think they are unfit to be a parent in general.

So, see... this is the part I have a problem with. She was homeless, and working two jobs presumably to feed those kids. So therefore, because the best she could do wasn't up to snuff for the state, and you, we should threaten to destroy her family and incarcerate her for doing her best. You know, instead of working to get her help without charging her for a crime!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Wow imagine watching that Harris video and agreeing with it and then defending it for pages

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

Seph posted:

It sounds like you had parents who were looking out for you and trying to provide the best they could. That's not what I'm talking about. This is a situation where the mother couldn't even get their kids to go to school.

You think my brother or I were in school that year?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Seph posted:

Did you watch the video, the problem was that no one had helped her sign up for government assistance, not that no one had threatened her and her kids enough

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

VH4Ever posted:

Still stupid as hell. Especially when we're talking about the penalty for that being locking up parents. Or even threatening to lock up parents. The schools can't handle a 3 day absence without the loving DA stepping in? Gee, at my school, it had a whole office full of redundant paper pushers, those people can't just send some letters asking what's up, or make a phone call? Before the goddamn DA gets involved?

Boy, some people are just so casual with involving the cops in everything.

the escalation in California the last I looked was, after 3 unexcused absences to notify the parent about the problem, a 4th after the notice is yet another notice and requires a meeting with school officials about the problem, and a fifth is the last straw where the parent(s) and officials meet again to start discussing counseling and other social programs to solve the truancy

the DA's involvement only happens after continued problems beyond the 5th skipped day iirc

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Seph posted:

doubling down isn't going to save you. You're adding a ton of qualifiers that show you know this was wrong, but you can't admit that you support that monstrous outcome.

In this specific case, your solution is the problem, not the mother. There may be cases where a crime is committed by a parent by refusing them an education, but that's not what this was.

I repeat:

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Thank you for sharing your unbelievably ill-informed, useless, and completely wrong assumptions

So what sort of fundamental obligations does a parent have to their child? I'd argue food, shelter (could be a car, or some sort of encampment, not necessarily a house) and education. If they're failing to provide all three then they're not fit to be a parent IMO. Do you disagree with any of that?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Tim Whatley posted:

Bolton:

There's some speculation that its a fakeout / intimidation move from Trump / Bolton because its way too obvious that it was meant to be seen

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Jackard posted:

Wow imagine watching that Harris video and agreeing with it

It kind of brings to light why there's been such a concerted effort on social media since her announcement to make sure discussing her past was pre-poisoned. It's similar to the freak out when it came out that Beto's voting records and connections painted him way more conservative than his "how do you do fellow kids" persona would lead you to believe.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Uncleanly Cleric posted:

So, see... this is the part I have a problem with. She was homeless, and working two jobs presumably to feed those kids. So therefore, because the best she could do wasn't up to snuff for the state, and you, we should threaten to destroy her family and incarcerate her for doing her best. You know, instead of working to get her help without charging her for a crime!

Yeah, it's worth considering that a very possible outcome of this approach was the woman sees the situation as hopeless and flees the jurisdiction with the kids.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

exploded mummy posted:

the escalation in California the last I looked was, after 3 unexcused absences to notify the parent about the problem, a 4th after the notice is yet another notice and requires a meeting with school officials about the problem, and a fifth is the last straw where the parent(s) and officials meet again to start discussing counseling and other social programs to solve the truancy

the DA's involvement only happens after continued problems beyond the 5th skipped day iirc

in disclosure I did double check and that's based off the law when Harris was AG and DA, so I have jo idea what the law was like when she tried to gently caress over the mother

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Seph posted:

Uncleanly Cleric posted:

Seph, your a loving moron with terrible opinions.

Seph posted:

So what sort of fundamental obligations does a parent have to their child? I'd argue food, shelter (could be a car, or some sort of encampment, not necessarily a house) and education. If they're failing to provide all three then they're not fit to be a parent IMO. Do you disagree with any of that?

Is missing 6 days of education the equivalent of not providing an education in your mind?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Seph posted:

Again, what makes you think those needs are going to be seen to any better by foster care?

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

eviltastic posted:

Yeah, it's worth considering that a very possible outcome of this approach was the woman sees the situation as hopeless and flees the jurisdiction with the kids.

Which, is almost exactly why we ended up homeless for a while. Early 80s Kansas wasn't very friendly to people that couldn't pay the rent if the landlord decided he was done with it.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Seph posted:

On the other hand, maybe parents should be responsible for their kids going to school and this is a good motivator? It's been shown that having deadbeat parents can lead to many issues down the line that end up being society's problem to fix (e.g. crime, teenage pregnancies, high school dropouts). Plus, what she mentioned specifically was for elementary school truancy. If your 8-year-old kid has recurring unexcused absences you're a loving terrible parent.

What she showed was gleeful authoritarianism. She got off on threatening children and parents with prison. That's what it is. There are numerous reasons why kids ditch school including overworked parents, a poor education system (including underpaid teachers), problems at home, all issues that are real and can be helped by a presidential candidate. Instead she went for sending a threatening letter to houses warning of prison to kids and their parents. I'm sure the kids who showed up to the next day to school scared shitless that they were about to be thrown in prison were going to focus on learning multiplication instead of just thinking they had to sit in their seats and be there otherwise they and their parents would be sent to prison by Kamala Harris and her fancy letterhead.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna say that bringing up charges on a homeless woman working two jobs is a wanton abuse of prosecutorial power even if you later drop the charges.

Clearly you aren't Democratic Presidential candidate 2020 material.

Soothing Vapors posted:

I did, it's her level of pride in her ghoulish bullshit that really elevates it from bad to grotesque

Yes.

1glitch0 fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 29, 2019

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Seph posted:

Take Back the Streets: Get Rid of the Bums. Again: unleash the cops to clear the streets of bums and vagrants. Where will they go? Who cares? Hopefully, they will disappear, that is, move from the ranks of the petted and cosseted bum class to the ranks of the productive members of society.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Also one of the other great tragedies of the fostercare system is that it is disproportionately full of lgbtq kids and it functionally exists at this point to punish them. When I was in group homes, fully half of the kids were queer and a vastly higher than statistically average amount were trans.

Uncleanly Cleric posted:

Look getting placed with some alcoholic pedophile who is friends with several cops would've been vastly better than having to live with parents who loved you even though they were struggling to provide a permanent roof at the time

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Seph posted:

I'm more concerned with the fundamental obligations a society has to its members, and while we're on the subject, the fundamental obligations the mods have to your account.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Our justice system is such a mess with punishment being the goal instead of rehabilitation that it will not solve any issue for the better. Having it focus on you if you are poor is only going to have negative results. Throwing someone into that for the crime of having truant kids is monstrous since it's about signalling how badass you are on "criminals" not actually helping families.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/1089848173395349509

per my quick scan this looks to be the closest thing I've seen Kristol weigh in on Venezuela in the past week

this must be a very conflicting, trying time for him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Seph posted:

Right, the state should punish parents that force their children to stay home from school so they can help them make meth or something. That's generally not the common thing that is going on. It's usually parents struggling to keep their family together and afloat in a rigged system that helps contribute to their problems.