Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Why don't we just wait and see? "Nintendo will release a Switch U soon" is an opinion but not really a videogame opinion.

Anyway, the Nintendo Classic Mini sucks for not having a single sports game on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Does Excitebike not count?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Serephina posted:

Does Excitebike not count?

No? (Is it a motorbike or bicycle? I've played so little I forget.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jerry Cotton posted:

No? (Is it a motorbike or bicycle? I've played so little I forget.)

Motorcycle, and that's totally a sport.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

They revised the Wii to be cheaper and not have the Gamecube ports, then they released the Mini.

Your points about the 3DS stand to an extent but there's plenty of evidence that Nintendo will release an updated Switch within the year.

Going on a quick wiki check... Wii came out in 2006, the Wii Family Edition (the one without the Gamecube ports) came out in 2011, and the Mini came out in 2013.

And what evidence? I'm skeptical about pretty much everything I hear about Nintendo, because the joke that is video game journalism has a long history of passing off speculation as fact and flat out making poo poo up about Nintendo, every other week I hear they're obviously going to stop making consoles and become third party or make dedicated phone games or whatever.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Motorcycle, and that's totally a sport.

So is rallye but usually racing games are considered a separate genre of computer video games :shrug: (albeit it's debatable whether or not Excitebike belongs in that genre despite involving racing)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

There will never be a better multiplayer video game than Chromehounds.

The best Battlefield game was Bad Company 2.

People who put LED lights on or near their gaming PC are loving stupid.

Final Fantasy games were only ever good for providing background to the music.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I like the LED on my PC because it tells me if the thing is on (It's rather silent)

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’d like all of my electronics to not have LEDs. It’s the dumbest trend ever. I have to electric tape most of the poo poo in my room to darken my room for movies.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also it's ridiculous that Valve would make a console and not call it the Steam Engine.
:cheers:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

lol if you take any sci fi "seriously". The whole point of the genre is to spend some leisure time with nonsense things that you don't have to take "seriously".

my future self in another dimension currently lmao at the stupidity of this post

Caesar Saladin posted:

lots of old sci fi is grizzly old men trying to make sense of the wars they had to go to

Forever War is a good book so this checks out

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

handheld only, no hdmi port, for the second kid to play but its cheaper

they're gonna do this for sure

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

OhFunny posted:

The most comfortable controller to hold was the OG Xbox controller. Curse freakish goon hands

This is the worst post i have ever read on the internet and I'm strongly considering putting you in my block list

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Caesar Saladin posted:

handheld only, no hdmi port, for the second kid to play but its cheaper

they're gonna do this for sure

I dunno if they'd sacrifice what's literally the Switch's whole gimmick. It CAN function purely as a handheld, sure, but it's in the name and all, and I get the feeling the dock and TV infrastructure is probably not the most expensive part of the equation. Besides, not that uncommon for houses to have multiple TVs these days. And you can buy third party charging docks that basically let you use the Switch as a screen.

Jerry Cotton posted:

So is rallye but usually racing games are considered a separate genre of computer video games :shrug: (albeit it's debatable whether or not Excitebike belongs in that genre despite involving racing)

Sports games have always been an odd duck. FIFA, Football Manager and Mario Strikers are technically portraying the same sport, but they play completely differently. It's more of a topic for a game than even a coherent genre in gameplay or tone.

OhFunny posted:

The most comfortable controller to hold was the OG Xbox controller. Curse freakish goon hands

The original XBox controller was really weird but I have heard of a few people who found it to be their favourite. Everybody's different and every body is different, no need to judge.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

signalnoise posted:

I guess that's what sci-fi has become but I like speculative sci-fi like what Aldous Huxley did :shrug:

I also like Star Wars, but pretending that the OG trilogy was profound is ridiculous. It is great moviemaking, but it was carried by the visual effects.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

poisonpill posted:

That guy who honestly enjoys exclusive games might be the best thread title opinion yet.

Is the Switch worth the cost?
If you like Nintendo games. Zelda, Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2 and Smash Ultimate are all fantastic, and there is a nice backlog of upgraded Wii U ports like Donkey Kong and Bayonetta 2. It's still a Nintendo console tho so be ready for extended periods with no big releases and very little third party support, although the Switch is at least the best choice for indie games like Hollow Knight and Stardew Valley since it's the same experience as the other systems plus portability.

It is a slick piece of hardware, though it definitely doesn't feel safe to carelessly plop in a bag like a 3DS. The joycons are perhaps my favorite controllers ever but for the fact that they have a tendency to get fucky after a year or two.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The original XBox controller was really weird but I have heard of a few people who found it to be their favourite. Everybody's different and every body is different, no need to judge.

Probably like 50% of people I know in IRL life who have said "the original Xbox controller isn't too big it's just right for my hands lol at you're babby hands" actually have the smaller version.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

I also like Star Wars, but pretending that the OG trilogy was profound is ridiculous. It is great moviemaking, but it was carried by the visual effects.

Star Wars isn't science fiction, it's pulp fantasy and this is generally accepted.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Sonic games play bad and slow unless you have memorised the layout of the levels, in which case you can go fast.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Caesar Saladin posted:

Nintendo is probably going to release a handheld version of the switch, they have sold a lot but their next intent is to have multiple switches in the house for multiple children.

Good news, they've already released a handheld Switch! It's been around since launch day!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Computer components covered in LEDs are the worst, it's also kind of hard to find a nice case that isn't also transparent on one side (I guess so morons can watch their video card like it's a pet rock, bros just love being able to peek at their mass-produced computer components)

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

bradzilla posted:

Good news, they've already released a handheld Switch! It's been around since launch day!

handheld only though, no hdmi capabilities or docking or detachable joycons

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Jerry Cotton posted:

Why don't we just wait and see? "Nintendo will release a Switch U soon" is an opinion but not really a videogame opinion.

Anyway, the Nintendo Classic Mini sucks for not having a single sports game on it.

I'm not talking about a Switch U, I'm talking about a hardware revision to take advantage of smaller manufacturing nodes. And maybe a 3DS replacement, but that seems more unlikely at the moment.

jokes posted:

The best Battlefield game was Bad Company 2.

The best Battlefield game was 1942, maybe 2.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 29, 2019

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Caesar Saladin posted:

handheld only though, no hdmi capabilities or docking or detachable joycons

Good news, you can already do this too! Just leave the joycons attached and use it exclusively handheld!

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

bradzilla posted:

Good news, you can already do this too! Just leave the joycons attached and use it exclusively handheld!

It's too expensive for the kids. They need something to replace the 3DS at some point.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

So would it be called the Nintendo UnSwitch?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The New Switch U.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

or make dedicated phone games or whatever.

This actually happened though

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I dunno if they'd sacrifice what's literally the Switch's whole gimmick.

My man have you heard of the 2DS

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

poverty goat posted:

this has not distinguished consoles from pcs since the 360 gamepad

actually I'm pretty sure the 360 game pad would not have gotten made if the 360 didn't exost which was my whole point there so maybe try comprehending what you are reading instead of just looking for words you recognize

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
This thread has run its course and should have been closed a week ago.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lambert posted:

It's too expensive for the kids. They need something to replace the 3DS at some point.

you can't make a "handheld only" version cheaper. The only difference would be the HDMI port, a component that likely costs Nintendo less than a cent purchased in bulk.

They could make a cheaper version thats a console only (no portable), screens and batteries are actual expensive components.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

:wrong:

There's an endless supply of bad goon videogame opinions.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Waltzing Along posted:

Couldn't you just stop reading/posting in it?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That's called winning the thread.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rutibex posted:

you can't make a "handheld only" version cheaper. The only difference would be the HDMI port, a component that likely costs Nintendo less than a cent purchased in bulk.

They could make a cheaper version thats a console only (no portable), screens and batteries are actual expensive components.

That's what I'd expect if we see a Switch revision, and even then I'd be doubtful how many people have a nice big TV to play a game console with but don't want to/can't shell out some more bucks for a more versatile console. If you want Nintendo games you can plug into your TV at a lower price point, just get a NES/SNES Mini.

In about every way that matters the Switch IS the 3DS successor, one that you can plug into your TV. Nobody ever cared much about the 3D, though Nintendo probably thought it was worth a shot.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 29, 2019

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
20-100 hour single player games are stupid and meant for children and the unemployed

Videogames should basically have 2 flavours - Single player and easily beaten in at most 2 weekends - or essentially infinite much like rocket league or starcraft.

Picture a 9-5 office worker who just wants to come home after a hard days work and ladder on starcraft for an hour or play a game of dota and then get back to adult responsibilities. Thats a respectful position.

Now picture the same 9-5er coming home ever night and trying to squeeze through a 60 hour kingdom hearts game.

There's no room for sense for the second person. Its either going to take a solid month playing for an hour a night OR they are gonna obsess over it for a week playing 5 hours a night and negating things like exercise and sleep.

The person in scenario b probably suffers from depression and lonliness so its important not to be too harsh but lets face it their parents did a poo poo job and they are probably on anti depressants for life.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yikes

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

CrRoMa posted:

20-100 hour single player games are stupid and meant for children and the unemployed

Videogames should basically have 2 flavours - Single player and easily beaten in at most 2 weekends - or essentially infinite much like rocket league or starcraft.

Picture a 9-5 office worker who just wants to come home after a hard days work and ladder on starcraft for an hour or play a game of dota and then get back to adult responsibilities. Thats a respectful position.

Now picture the same 9-5er coming home ever night and trying to squeeze through a 60 hour kingdom hearts game.

There's no room for sense for the second person. Its either going to take a solid month playing for an hour a night OR they are gonna obsess over it for a week playing 5 hours a night and negating things like exercise and sleep.

The person in scenario b probably suffers from depression and lonliness so its important not to be too harsh but lets face it their parents did a poo poo job and they are probably on anti depressants for life.

lol

You realize it is possible to play games in pieces, right? The 9-5 worker that you're describing can play an hour of a long game every day too.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

CrRoMa posted:

This is why we have backlogs. The longer your backlog, the longer your life.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

bradzilla posted:

lol

You realize it is possible to play games in pieces, right? The 9-5 worker that you're describing can play an hour of a long game every day too.

Oi m8 read the post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

CrRoMa posted:

Oi m8 read the post

I read it and responded to your extremely dumb opinion. Do you just poo poo out posts and forget what you wrote?