Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Woman in 14-Year Coma Gives Birth in Arizona

quote:

Update: Nathan Sutherland, a 36-year-old nurse at the Hacienda HealthCare facility has been arrested and charged with one count of sexual assault and one count of vulnerable adult abuse, according to the Associated Press.

I'm not quite sure how they didn't realize she was pregnant.

Human Tornada posted:

^What he said but they've also used it for a few commercials where they talk about determination and the American spirit or whatever, like for Nike or Chrysler or something.

Nike commercials ring a bell but I think it was a breaking bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FireWorksWell posted:

Woman in 14-Year Coma Gives Birth in Arizona

I'm not quite sure how they didn't realize she was pregnant.

also she wasn't in a coma. she is just severely mentally and physically handicapped.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

That sounds terrible. Imagine waiting around for the very last person to awaken and it's just taking them soooooo many lifetimes. Like, it's just you and that one last guy and he just doesn't get it over and over again. Like the kid that never understood multiples of 8 so the whole class is waiting like 10 minutes into recess until he understands, but for eternity.

The Buddha would give him as long as he needed.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Tashilicious posted:

also she wasn't in a coma. she is just severely mentally and physically handicapped.

Exactly. And it's not 14 years, her condition has been known, and treated there, for twenty-three. That article is amazingly wrong with a lot of the facts.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Graduated Magna Cum Laude from the Kevin Spacey School of Etiquette.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Wth Rollingstone.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

AlbieQuirky posted:

They were her parents’ employers, so it’s not as random a connection as it might seem.

Okay, that makes a lot more sense than Turkey Company Needs Good PR.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Busket Posket posted:

Okay, that makes a lot more sense than Turkey Company Needs Good PR.

Don't worry, they already dissolved the parent's 401ks and pensions into their corporate slush fund so there won't be a scary red bar on the data sheet this month. Everyone wins!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Come to the pageant and discuss coma lady with more goons!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

It’s a game of thrones joke.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Winklebottom posted:

A two-year-old in Spain has fallen down a 360 foot deep, 9 inch wide borehole :stonk:

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/14/europe/spain-toddler-well-scli-intl/index.html

Guess the question of 'was this real or not' is answered:
https://twitter.com/GuardianUS/status/1089057868425412608
:smith:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

So remember the discussion a page or two back about the ethics about the incorporation of real life horror stories into media and the trauma of their living family?

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1088981324495495168?s=19

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Apraxin posted:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Koalas March posted:

So remember the discussion a page or two back about the ethics about the incorporation of real life horror stories into media and the trauma of their living family?

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1088981324495495168?s=19

I mean, they couldn't have made that movie with out the family's permission right?

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/jan/23/james-bulger-detainment-parents-film-oscar-nomination-denise-fergus-ralph-bulger

quote:

It’s one thing making a film like this without contacting or getting permission from James’s family but another to have a child re-enact the final hours of James’s life before he was brutally murdered and making myself and my family have to relive this all over again!

Eeeesh....guess not.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I mean, they couldn't have made that movie with out the family's permission right?
Eeeesh....guess not.

When asked, the director basically said "no we didn't bother asking, because we knew they'd say no", and afaik the family of James basically agreed they would have blocked it for being "too sympathetic" to the children responsible. Imo it raises an interesting discussion, but I realise this thread may not necessarily be the best place for it.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Apraxin posted:

Bleh! I was really rooting for fake. What a tragedy

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Whitlam posted:

When asked, the director basically said "no we didn't bother asking, because we knew they'd say no", and afaik the family of James basically agreed they would have blocked it for being "too sympathetic" to the children responsible. Imo it raises an interesting discussion, but I realise this thread may not necessarily be the best place for it.

Nah, we can probably talk about it here.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Solice Kirsk posted:

Nah, we can probably talk about it here.

Herzog shoulda played the loving tape.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
This story is a real emotional roller coaster.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1089860841925758976?s=21

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
More details are emerging about the nurse who raped and impregnated the vegetative patient in Phoenix.

quote:

3. Sutherland was part of a Christian rap [group]— In 2009, Sutherland and his sister, calling themselves Sleeplessouljaz, released a Christian rap album called “Certified Fake Face.”

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I'm gonna say it again, she's not vegetative. That implies a decline from somewhere, and brain death.

Severe developmental disability, but she's cognizant, as cognizant as she's ever been, which is even more terrifying.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Queen Combat posted:

I'm gonna say it again, she's not vegetative. That implies a decline from somewhere, and brain death.

Severe developmental disability, but she's cognizant, as cognizant as she's ever been, which is even more terrifying.

Wasn't the decline when she drowned as a child?

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Queen Combat posted:

Apologies, 90% of sources use the phrase and I repeated it without thinking.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I thought it was just her family saying she's cognitive.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

xtal posted:

Wasn't the decline when she drowned as a child?

Well, at 3, but that's a lot different than 7 or 20. This isn't a Terry Schiavo situation is what I'm saying. Most of the articles (ironically except that most recent linked one) say "vegetative," which implies a very specific scenario that this isn't.

She's conscious, has brain activity, responds to stimuli, moves her eyes spontaneously, etc. That's a human person, not a bag of organs being powered only by a half-dead brain stem and cardiogenisis and nothing else, you get what I mean?

This entire thing is horrifying. I worked until last year for five years with PMT/Rural Metro/AMR ambulance doing interfacility ambulance transfers in the central/east valley. Hacienda was a weekly regular, I've been there dozens or even a hundred+ times. The place is an absolute shithole, and we all expect the worst from places like that.

It's just sad the rumors and speculation sometimes are true :smith:

And what does arguing against the family's claims mean to prove? That a rape of a person in a coma/in a vegetative state is any less of a crime? They're all horrible, the only difference is in which direction the knife in this story is twisted in your gut.

Queen Combat has a new favorite as of 03:09 on Jan 29, 2019

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Whitlam posted:

This is so disturbing to me. The entire case is a loving shitshow. I cannot believe how many times the government has protected that rear end in a top hat’s identity despite repeated crimes against children. You’d think the “he was only a kid!” defense would have run out of steam by now.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Queen Combat posted:

And what does arguing against the family's claims mean to prove? That a rape of a person in a coma/in a vegetative state is any less of a crime? They're all horrible, the only difference is in which direction the knife in this story is twisted in your gut.

I don't think anyone's arguing that vegetative vs. limited cognition makes the crime any less horrible, but you're the one insisting that she's one and not the other, and when people say "isn't it just the parents saying that" they're remembering cases like Jahi McMath, where the parents will believe anything and give credit to any possible sign to keep up the belief that their child is still alive/"really in there"/etc. If her doctors are saying she's got consciousness, that's one thing, but if it's just the parents...

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't mean to come off as accusatory, sorry. The reports from the facility, and the facility's rep statements, never say vegetative or coma. And, having been to Hacienda dozens of times, they don't generally take those patients; there are other, (tbh cheaper) places that are designed for that. They're more of a long-term+rehab care place, not a SNF designed for end of life or terminal care.

Due to HIPAA you're not going to hear from a doctor which it is, of course. And some patients in either category do get misplaced. And if I or anybody else in healthcare familiar with the case knew, it couldn't be said either. Just, I urge you to be with this understanding.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Queen Combat posted:

Due to HIPAA you're not going to hear from a doctor which it is, of course. And some patients in either category do get misplaced. And if I or anybody else in healthcare familiar with the case knew, it couldn't be said either. Just, I urge you to be with this understanding.

So something I just thought of while reading this, what does HIPPA say about a doctor testifying in open court in a case like this and possibly 'violating' HIPPA in the case of an incapacitated person?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
HIPAA is waived in pursuit of a heinous crime, if necessary, but can only be waived by appropriate witnesses called to court or to stop a felony in progress or when abuse is suspected. Sensitive facts may also be discussed in chambers, if necessary. Lawyers on either side can call for privacy if necessary, and at that point it's up to the judge to decide if it needs to be revealed to the jury, either openly or in writing.

At least, that's what I remember from the small handful of times I've had to testify (5 years ambulance, 1 year burn/burn pediatrics, I'm actually lucky to have so few court appearances).

E to avoid making GBS threads up the thread further with my stuff vvvv: I fully admit I could be totally wrong, this is all personal experience and anecdote being swirled into a morass. It's just that this case terrifies me more than most, and hits closer to home than anything has. I have no clue about high level HIPAA stuff, either. Just parroting what a few company lawyers and the yearly online trainings say, which are both simplified versions.

There are five places I wouldn't send anybody, and that place is a very close #6.

Queen Combat has a new favorite as of 05:02 on Jan 29, 2019

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
You sound experienced so I apologize for poo poo-quoting you. That's interesting about HIPAA though. I wonder about what the limits are like in practice. Are there cases that involve this?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If you wanna see HIPAA violations, go to the closest bar by a hospital after the night shift gets out. Any group of three or more will start blurting out names and cases almost instantly. Not saying HIPAA isn't important at an institutional level and but it's almost immediately forgotten after two drinks by everyone else.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

It pisses me off that there is publick footage of the two brothers meeting in jail. There is no reason for anyone to ever see footage of a private moment like that.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

kanonvandekempen posted:

It pisses me off that there is publick footage of the two brothers meeting in jail. There is no reason for anyone to ever see footage of a private moment like that.

well how else would someone get content to make the inevitable bad steam game

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Plinkey posted:

So something I just thought of while reading this, what does HIPPA say about a doctor testifying in open court in a case like this and possibly 'violating' HIPPA in the case of an incapacitated person?

HIPAA-protected information can be disclosed when necessary to comply with the law. So mandatory reporters are still allowed to report the things they're required to report, for example. Court orders, warrants and subpoenas are also things that need to be complied with.

kanonvandekempen posted:

It was an interrogation, not a private moment. Guy asked for a lawyer so they couldn't ask him any more questions, but it's legal for them to let his brother in to talk to him. And interrogations should be filmed in all circumstances.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/28/us/housekeeper-stuck-in-elevator-three-days-trnd/index.html
I've never been afraid of elevators but I would never ever go in a private elevator without no one knowing I'm going in watching me get out.
Elevator related oldie.
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/08/world/asia/china-woman-elevator-death.html

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Elevators and escalators are basically execution methods with a low success rate. Take the stairs.

https://www.ranker.com/list/escalator-deaths/christopher-shultz

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I work with government documents in an academic library and have spent this afternoon reading the blood-curdling tale of pure horror that is the Final Report of the Advisory Committee on Human Radiation Experiments (1995). It's just page after page of heinous poo poo doctors and scientists have done to powerless people, believing themselves morally justified because of the supposed Value to Science of their experiments.

This is where I had to quit reading. The part in bold made me sick.

quote:

Attitudes and Practices Prior to 1944

There was significant research interest in infants and children as early as the eighteenth century, as scientists began to experiment with vaccines and immunization. Children were particularly valuable subjects for this type of research because in general, they were less likely than adults to have been exposed to the disease being studied.[13] A child's response to immunizations was also of great interest because most immunizations are performed during childhood.

During the nineteenth century, the Industrial Revolution greatly increased the number of child laborers, and the public began to acknowledge the need for laws to protect children from abuse.[14] Physicians started to specialize in pediatrics, studying specifically the health problems and diseases that afflicted children. Simultaneously, as social reformers were creating a wide range of institutions for children, such as orphanages, schools, foundling homes, and hospitals, scientists recognized the value of research conducted in these types of institutions. In the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, Alfred F. Hess, the medical director of the Hebrew Infant Asylum in New York City, conducted pertussis vaccine trials and undertook extensive studies of the anatomy and physiology of digestion in infants at the asylum. According to Advisory Committee member and historian Susan Lederer, Hess sought to take advantage of the conditions in the asylum as they approximated those "conditions which are insisted on in considering the course of experimental infection among laboratory animals, but which can rarely be controlled in a study of infestation in man."[15]

Although many shared Hess's laudable goal of improving the health of asylum children, many people drew the line at the pediatrician's investigations of scurvy and rickets. In order to study the disease, Hess and his colleagues withheld orange juice from infants at the asylum until they developed lesions characteristic of scurvy. Responding to the public discussion of the ethics of using children in such nontherapeutic experiments, the editors of one American medical journal insisted that such investigations gave the children an opportunity to repay their debt to society, even as they conceded that experimentation on human beings should be limited to "children as may be utilized with parental consent."[16]

--https://archive.org/details/advisorycommitte00unit/page/324

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOMZ-Buj2n0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Fuuuuuuuuck that

*in regards to the “repay their debt to society” quote*