Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Dachshundofdoom posted:

CDC warns Americans not to kiss their hedgehogs

If you're going to gently caress spiders, fine, but please at least stop trying to kiss Sonic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Dachshundofdoom posted:

If you're going to gently caress spiders, fine, but please at least stop trying to kiss Sonic.

I dare you to come within thirty feet of that and not kiss it.

Edit: Salmonella and babies are just unavoidable consequences of putting your lips on adorable things. Suck it up, buttercup.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Edit: Salmonella and babies are just unavoidable consequences of putting your lips on adorable things.

ooooh, so that's where they come from, loving hedgehogs

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Edit: Salmonella and babies are just unavoidable consequences of putting your lips on adorable things. Suck it up, buttercup.

One hopes these consequences would not both arise from the same event.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Turns out that hedgehogs are filthy coprophiles, they smear themselves in poo poo.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-anointing_in_animals posted:

European hedgehogs (Erinaceus europaeus) have been widely reported to self-anoint with a range of toxic and irritating substances, particularly when introduced to a new or strong-smelling substance. These substances include toad skin, tobacco, soap and faecal matter.[45] The hedgehog chews and licks at these substances when it encounters them which produces frothy saliva-substance mix that the hedgehog then spreads onto its spines. 

By popular demand has a new favorite as of 21:52 on Jan 26, 2019

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
They smear themselves in poo poo but also tobacco and soap, not unlike a lot of humans, to be frank.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Please don't be Frank, he sleeps in his own vomit.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Dude, “shot in the dark” was right there smdh

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

I would've gone with 'shot in the dark'

Edit gently caress

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Dachshundofdoom posted:

They can't be buggered but no one said anything about kissing, that's the problem.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This isn't strictly speaking a headline, but I think it belongs here: Win a One-Of-A-Kind Lamborghini® Blessed and Signed by Pope Francis

quote:

YOU AND A FRIEND WILL:
  • Win a custom Lamborghini Huracán RWD Coupé, blessed and autographed by Pope Francis (just for you, sorry friend!)
  • Receive the keys to your new car during a private ceremony in the presence of Pope Francis and Lamborghini CEO, Stefano Domenicali
They are using this to raise money for charity, but it definitely feels pretty 2019.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Florida man is back to his old tricks

A Florida man found a grenade while fishing and then took the explosive to Taco Bell

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

ultrafilter posted:

This isn't strictly speaking a headline, but I think it belongs here: Win a One-Of-A-Kind Lamborghini® Blessed and Signed by Pope Francis

They are using this to raise money for charity, but it definitely feels pretty 2019.

I honestly would have expected more of this kind of thing from Pope Benedict, lover of Prada loafers.

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.

Give a man a grenade and he can rob a Taco Bell and eat for 2, maybe 3 days.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Beauty vlogger James Charles visited Birmingham and his fans brought the city to a standstill.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-47013978

quote:

An appearance by YouTuber James Charles is believed to have brought Birmingham city centre to a standstill after 8,000 fans flocked to the Bullring.

The beauty guru was greeted by three floors of screaming supporters during his visit to the shopping centre at about 11:30 GMT on Saturday.

But motorists were stuck in gridlocked traffic from 15:00 until 19:30.

Drivers trying to leave car parks found they were stuck and some opted to abandon their vehicles overnight.

Suffolk Street Queensway, Navigation Street, and Hill Street were all at a standstill.

Some fans had begun queuing at 08:00 to see him - but it is believed only about 250 took part in the meet-and-greet appearance inside the Morphe make-up store.

Crowds of supporters blocked the aisles, bringing the shopping centre to a standstill.

On Snapchat, Charles said he had wanted to say goodbye to fans at the Bullring, but it was a "hazard" and he had to get straight in his car.

After discovering the traffic chaos caused, he tweeted a cheeky "oops".

Here's video footage from Sister James himself.
https://twitter.com/jamescharles/status/1089203189382029312

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

What compels that screaming? Like I’ve never felt a need to respond to a celebrity being in my vicinity by just screaming at the top of my lungs.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I started reading and was like, there’s no way people in Alabama were that excited about a “fashion guru”.

I was right :lol:

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

chitoryu12 posted:

What compels that screaming? Like I’ve never felt a need to respond to a celebrity being in my vicinity by just screaming at the top of my lungs.

crowd energy is a hell of a thing

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

ultrafilter posted:

Whoever wins the auction is going to Richard Hammond it on their first drive, I'm sure of it.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Besesoth posted:

Whoever wins the auction is going to Richard Hammond it on their first drive, I'm sure of it.

Seems like a perfect excuse to repost this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEukXhXPg8s

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Clam Chowdown posted:

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.

Give a man a grenade and he can rob a Taco Bell and eat for 2, maybe 3 days.
I don't think he was robbing it. Just "Hey dudes look what I found fishing" "HOLY gently caress"

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Wait, what does this guy do? Runs like a skin and hair care vlog? I’m afraid I don’t understand how this world works any more.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

I heard an interview with someone who researched fandom in young girls, and her basic point was that girls at that age are just starting to take an interest in (usually) boys, and a certain kind of non threatening male provides a kind of risk free first relationship for them. They latch on super hard because in a way it's their first love and they aren't used to the new emotions and don't know how to express them

I believe this is the documentary she made
https://www.madmanfilms.com.au/i-used-to-be-normal-a-boyband-fangirl-story/

*edit*
Also parasocial relationships with youtube celebrities are really easy to form because they're generally looking and talking right at you personally and they have many hours of content

EoinCannon has a new favorite as of 07:30 on Jan 29, 2019

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

HairyManling posted:

Wait, what does this guy do? Runs like a skin and hair care vlog? I’m afraid I don’t understand how this world works any more.

People think their favorite vloggers are their friends. Selling fake friendship is the whole deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36jPIdNntcw

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

EoinCannon posted:

I heard an interview with someone who researched fandom in young girls, and her basic point was that girls at that age are just starting to take an interest in (usually) boys, and a certain kind of non threatening male provides a kind of risk free first relationship for them. They latch on super hard because in a way it's their first love and they aren't used to the new emotions and don't know how to express them

I believe this is the documentary she made
https://www.madmanfilms.com.au/i-used-to-be-normal-a-boyband-fangirl-story/

*edit*
Also parasocial relationships with youtube celebrities are really easy to form because they're generally looking and talking right at you personally and they have many hours of content

I really wish this had been made before that bit in Buster Scruggs where the boy being hanged gave the girl in the audience that certain look

So non-threatening with that hemp necklace and the yuge death boner

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

syscall girl posted:

I really wish this had been made before that bit in Buster Scruggs where the boy being hanged gave the girl in the audience that certain look

So non-threatening with that hemp necklace and the yuge death boner

I have no idea what that means
I have Buster Scruggs on my list, will definitely have to find time to watch it now

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Sorry that should have been spoilered

there's no huge death boner, it was all in my head

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

HairyManling posted:

Yes, but with 13 million subs and views that go over 20 million.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgOanxVKcZU

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Why was this man's luggage stuffed with 5,000 leeches?

Nat Geo posted:

Officials peered inside the man’s bags and found hundreds of containers filled with slimy, writhing objects—5,000 live leeches. (Authorities are calling him an alleged illegal leech importer, rather than a smuggler, because he wasn’t necessarily purposefully hiding the contraband.) The man claimed that the leeches in his possession were for personal use and that their waste water would enrich his orchids.

They can sell for about $10 each.

When Canadian officials seized 5,000 leeches, they were immediately confronted with a problem: what to do with them? Government officials started making phone calls to find alternative housing for the leeches. The responses were underwhelming. He says that only the Royal Ontario Museum, in Toronto, agreed to take some—just 50—which still left law enforcement with some 4,950 leeches in a room with other confiscated live animals, including turtles and tortoises. Widening their field of inquiry, the Canadians eventually found a home for a thousand at the American Museum of Natural History, thanks to [leech expert] Mark Siddall.

This isn’t Siddall’s first time taking in leeches. “Without going into too many details, this has happened before,” he says.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Do what Americans do with leeches and send them to the executive mansion.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Samuringa posted:

ooooh, so that's where they come from: loving hedgehogs

Fixed your punctuation.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Quiet Feet posted:

Fixed your punctuation.

As a recovering Sonic fan, I should have known they'd be the death of us.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

leeches are actually very effective post-surgical treatment for certain kinds of microsurgery. if you, for example, reattach a finger you cant necessarily reattach all the blood vessels. those take time to reattach naturally. in the meantime blood builds up in the extremity because it flows in through the big arteries but all the little veins arent there to flow out through and this buildup can cause all sorts of issues. sometimes they just bleed it, but in some cases they use leeches on it because they're incredibly effective, naturally anticoagulant, and if properly sourced basically sterile.
/rambling

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

I saw a leech the other day. Slimy, writhing objects.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
And then you turned on your monitor?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sir Lemming posted:

I saw a leech the other day. Slimy, writhing objects.

Horrible creatures.

e: oh wait, my monitor wasn't on

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Rysithusiku posted:

leeches are actually very effective post-surgical treatment for certain kinds of microsurgery. if you, for example, reattach a finger you cant necessarily reattach all the blood vessels. those take time to reattach naturally. in the meantime blood builds up in the extremity because it flows in through the big arteries but all the little veins arent there to flow out through and this buildup can cause all sorts of issues. sometimes they just bleed it, but in some cases they use leeches on it because they're incredibly effective, naturally anticoagulant, and if properly sourced basically sterile.
/rambling

A good post! Now, talk about clinical maggot usage

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

The MSJ posted:

Yes, but with 13 million subs and views that go over 20 million.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgOanxVKcZU
Oh poo poo, that's the guy who got another man angry for being such a good cross-dresser(?).
https://twitter.com/PopAlarms/status/1087537435532156929/photo/1

darthbob88 has a new favorite as of 08:08 on Feb 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I die laughing, Cis scum.