Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (July 7, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (July 7, 1997)

Garfield Classic (July 7, 1987)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is she secretly taping him with the plan of editing it into something incriminating about him giving her the D?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Wall of comics incoming!

Andy Capp

December 13, 1957

"No! - And shiverin' will get yer nowhere!"

Heathcliff Old and New

Ballard Street

October 29, 2002

Outbursts of Everett True

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

The door? Like a peasant? :doom:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Alley Oop

Hey! That's kind of a joke.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's a coherent setup. Suppose that's worth a mention.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Reply All

Does she live in one of those uncivilized regions where no one understands the practice of putting a chair in your space?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Selachian posted:

Does she live in one of those uncivilized regions where no one understands the practice of putting a chair in your space?
She's in DC where, no, we mostly don't follow that practice, but we also rarely get enough snow to need to.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Geech

Today's Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

(I don't know what that blotch is on Marigold's speech bubble.)

Wallace

Curtis

Jamal (The first one is smaller because I had to pull it from GoComics as opposed to the Jamal site.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Whoa, Curtis, "jackass"?? That's some pretty harsh language for the papers!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Vargo posted:

Jamal (The first one is smaller because I had to pull it from GoComics as opposed to the Jamal site.)

I'm constantly surprised at how good Jamal is. They're actually having a conversation! About why the mum couldn't just talk back to the cop, and she's trying to make her son realise it!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tiggum posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Just want to say I appreciate the edits you do. (I miss the days when this thread was overflowing with them.)

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze is comedically bankrupt.

I know that this is some straight-up neolithic humour, I'm too poor to buy clothes so I'm going wear a barrel, because barrels are cheap and plentiful, but I had a whim to go see how much a barrel costs in this day and age. So, it turns it that most barrels these days are made for the wine or whiskey industries, and those are oak, so a new barrel is going to cost you anywhere from a few hundred to over a thousand. You can, however, buy used wine barrels, and that'll run you something in the $60-$100 range.

So I'm uncertain of the money saving going on here.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Potsticker posted:

Even though sometimes the references seem a bit impenetrable, this comic continues to enchant me.

When earwig bait is discussed among the earwigs it pretty clearly seems to be a direct substitution for alcohol. An earlier strip's joke was a lady earwig singing "lips that have touched earwig bait shall never touch mine," and was a joke because it played off the women's temperance movement slogan "lips that have touched liquor shall never touch ours." Female activists were a big part of the prohibition movement (prohibition of course being in full swing at the time of Dok's Dippy Duck) because they believed banning alcohol would reduce domestic violence. As I recall.

A few strips have focused the gag around "marathons," like one where the duck asks a wheelchair-bound woman what's up and she says "marathon," and one where they see a rich buddy with a nice car that he got "selling foot lotion to marathoners." In the good times of the 1920s a variety of wild fads swept the country, typically originating at universities, including stuff like stuffing lots of people into phonebooths, swallowing goldfish, and, as referenced in Dok's, marathon dancing sessions. Again, as I recall.

There was also one where the duck plays sweet on a lady duck dressed in Egyptian styles. That relates to the opening of King Tut's tomb, which set off its own Egypt fad/craze across the country.

Apologies if you knew all of this but I find it so interesting to see an artifact of the times reflect the history books and lectures. Historical comics are the best thing in this thread because they give us real insight into the past.

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

What's the state of LBGT rights / life in South Korea anyway?

Kennel posted:

Surgeon's Tales

Princess noooooooo

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

SOME GIZMO!!

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

Mimi and Elodie reunited. It's six years since we saw these characters together on home turf. Six years. I feel very old.

Mikl posted:

I'm constantly surprised at how good Jamal is. They're actually having a conversation! About why the mum couldn't just talk back to the cop, and she's trying to make her son realise it!
Yeah, having her visualisation of what could go wrong was a very effective way of getting her perspective across, rather than if they'd just had them having this conversation.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Jamal: Still owns.

2012 Spiderman

The Amazing Spiderman

Dick Tracy

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Everyone should go read that linked scary-go-round story because it is wild (also, The Boy's ability to attract women is unparalleled).

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Jamal dealing with this conversation and still doing daily jokes is good stuff.

SuperKlaus posted:

Apologies if you knew all of this but I find it so interesting to see an artifact of the times reflect the history books and lectures. Historical comics are the best thing in this thread because they give us real insight into the past.

Thanks for taking the time to write all that up.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

Mary Worth

I love these.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

I always love how Modesty and Willie are completely cold blooded when :black101: is going down but are otherwise sensitive as heck when it's all over.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Tiggum posted:

Alley Oop

Not a bad Alley Oop!

Tiggum posted:

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

:roflolmao:

F Minus

Macanudo

Mark Trail's exposition theater

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

howe_sam posted:

Everyone should go read that linked scary-go-round story because it is wild (also, The Boy's ability to attract women is unparalleled).

Young Mimi is a lot of fun, too. "I burn my dolls, I burn myself!" is a sentiment I think of often.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Skippy (September 14, 1931)

Peanuts (February 1, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (December 10-12, 1931)

Thimble Theater (August 24, 1935)

Dok's Dippy Duck (May 31-June 2, 1923)

Let's see how long we can push on with Them Days Is Gone Forever before we all get tired of the gimmick! (January 19-20, 1923)

e: And because I'm nothing if not helpful, I put the first one of these from yesterday into a handy playback format. The syndicate (United Features Syndicate) claimed that little jingle was written by famous bandleader Vincent Lopez, but I'd like to think a guy with some musical credibility would've come up with something a little further away from Turkey In The Straw.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 29, 2019

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I just wanted to make a dumb joke

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I didn't know people were really into Mah Jong in the 20s.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

My Lovely Horse posted:

I didn't know people were really into Mah Jong in the 20s.
Apparently that's when it was first brought to the US, and of course that sparked a fad.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Sorry lady, you're in Geech, sullen and miserable is pretty much the best you can hope for.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tag yourself, I'm the China Sea.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm the Australian peninsula

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I'm the unknown lake in the picture on the right

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i'm the... included new zealand

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I'm

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i'm the... included new zealand

poo poo. But yeah, same.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm the mercator projection, more or less

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
I'm Kadia's dawning sense of dread.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

EasyEW posted:

I'm Kadia's dawning sense of dread.

This story arc is basically a super-villain origin story for Kadia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Tiggum, could you share the fontsets you use to make these?