Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Hooplah posted:

I found a few pics on fishbrain of people fishing ballinger posting "rainbow trout" that look pale like mine, so it might be a common thing in that lake.

People here keep tagging chain pickerel as northern pike, which is hilarious. Also, Fishbrain has been pretty awesome for doing my pond/river hopping thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

It's a pretty good trout if you have to stop and be like, oh gently caress, is this a salmon?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Extension of the maxillary jaw well beyond the posterior edge of the eye suggests cutthroat trout to me. The caudal fin also looks a little more forked than a classic squared-off rainbow, but that’s not dispositive and it could just be a little scrunched.

I’d call it a cutt. Nice trout.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Extension of the maxillary jaw well beyond the posterior edge of the eye suggests cutthroat trout to me. The caudal fin also looks a little more forked than a classic squared-off rainbow, but that’s not dispositive and it could just be a little scrunched.

I’d call it a cutt. Nice trout.

After doing EVEN MORE reading on salmonid identification, I have to say you're probably right, thanks. This poo poo's complicated.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Yeah I’m not an ace with those guys but something looked off. I’ve only caught cutthroat in Montana and they are like super obvious compared to that guy.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

The local colloquial wisdom I've heard is that the pink stripe is much more vivid on a rainbow and if it's barely pink or not pink it's a cutt, regardless of whether or not it has the red chin markings. Might not be foolproof, but it doesn't seem completely off base.

If you ever want to get in a futile and pointless argument, find somebody who refuses to believe that there could be any possibility that a cutthroat trout might not have the namesake marking.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Hooplah posted:

This poo poo's complicated.

And of course they also hybridize!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Kazak_Hstan posted:

And of course they also hybridize!

Yeah this loving stuff is way complicated.

Literally.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!

Elmnt80 posted:

People here keep tagging chain pickerel as northern pike, which is hilarious. Also, Fishbrain has been pretty awesome for doing my pond/river hopping thing.

loving every single person who fishes in my area calls chainsides pike and it drives me insane.

"hey what are you fishing for? You know, I caught a pike in here last year!"

"there are no pike in these waters, it was probably a pickerel"

"naw sorry bro it was a pike, I looked up a picture on the internet, definitely a pike"

They also call all the common sunfish by a billion different made up names so they never have to say "all I caught was a few bluegill"

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'll trade that for us having half a dozen varieties of sunfish, all of which have multiple loving names. Hell, having to explain to my dad that no, red ear and red breasted sunfish are not the same fish, they are in fact two distinct species of sunfish was painful enough. Also, the multiple kinds of shiner we have. And like half a dozen varieties of bass. None of which are smallmouth. These fucks need to quit telling me they caught a smallmouth.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Returning home from my first “real” ice fishing trip on the frozen bay by myself.

My two man pop-up sitting in the local marina. Sitting on about 7” of ice.

My first perch through the ice!

I didn’t end up keeping anything that day between the two I caught. I also spilled my tea inside my hut, so there’s a nasty looking mess on the ice. :sweatdrop:

Went back out today, but this time a bit further down the line of docks. Moved around slightly and found some more active fish at the third set of holes.

This 1/32nd jig was getting almost all of them today.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

That last perch is an absolute unit.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

That's awesome, dude. Doing a "real" big boy ice fishing trip by myself was something I never got around to doing before I left the frozen north. Props to you for getting out there!

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
I didn't take any pictures, because we all know what mackerel look like, but man I had the best morning today. I went out to my fav spot this morning and there was a ton of surface activity, I clipped on one of those 40g Jigparas that I bought recently and went to work. First cast into a boil, fish on, and they just kept biting. I musta caught at least 20, big macks, too. I was surprised at the fight they put up considering I was fishing a 7"10 heavy rod with a Tranx 200, spooled with 40lb braid and 15lb leader.

Here, they all looked exactly like this.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

BBQ time? Love me some Spanish mackerel fresh grilled with bbq sauce.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

BBQ time? Love me some Spanish mackerel fresh grilled with bbq sauce.

I was fishing before work so I threw em all back. I've never actually eaten them before, most people just use em as bait.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Took my buddy out today for his first ice fishing day. He was getting most of the bites early on, but they were tiny. Here’s his first ice fish ever.

They eventually got larger and we caught enough for an afternoon snack.

My wife dragged the kids out on the ice and surprised us with a new propane heater and some deli sanwhiches. She’s the real hero today :swoon:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Meanwhile in Australia...

:2bong:Shark Bong:2bong:

:australia:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I saw a news story about that. People were pretty pissed about it. Also you can tell they're Australian because their bong has a bit of garden hose in it.

It's below freezing here, but not enough to ice fish. Pretty sick of winter.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I just started watching The Big Catch on Netflix, it's like The Great British Baking Show but fishing.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I've been trying to learn how to tie a few different braid to floro knots so I can use a short floro leader on my different rods. I use primarily braid due to the sheer amount of vegetation and structure everywhere here in my part of Florida, but would like something stealthier. The double uni knot seems to be easy enough to learn and I'll be trying different variations of the albright knot next, but does anyone have any other recommendations? Except the FG knot. So far every attempt has wound up with the floro leader slipping straight out of the wound up braid.

Edit: As a thank you, have a picture of my fishing spot yesterday. This entire pond was full on covered in pads. I didn't see a clearing bigger than about 10-15ft across.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 7, 2019

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Are you applying enough tension as you do each wrap for the FG? Ideally with each wrap the braid should bite into the leader a little bit.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I’ve always done this to join lines together, and yet to have an issue.

I’m a Rope Access technician, so this is a knot that’s part of our training course. I’ve heard some people have trouble with it though. When I do it, I make sure I have lots of extra line to tie the knots, then trim nice and clean when done.

If the fluro is slipping out of this knot, you could always add a few more wraps before you put the tag end through the knot wraps.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

The main reason for FG over double uni is if the knot passes through your guides regularly. FG offers a slim profile, whereas double uni can get bulky.

Otherwise just use double uni. Plenty strong and easier to tie/not gently caress up.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I only recently learned about the FG knot. I feel similarly about it as I do the Bimini Twist: I want nothing to do with it if at all possible. A double-uni is so much faster and simpler, if a bit bulkier. I'm a big fan of the uniknot system in general, though. You can use a version of it for just about any application and you can tie it in seconds.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Unless I'm trout fishing, I strictly fish braid to leader (typically mono). This is my favorite leader knot by far, it's thin enough to pass through micro guides and if you tie it right it's super strong. I was fishing 40lb braid to 15lb mono today and it was going through the micro guides just fine. PRO TIP: Use chapstick instead of spit when you lubricate before tightening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXjagwdjAhg

Also I caught a new species today, a jack smelt. Not my picture but it was about this size.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Total worm burgers. So bad I’ve never seen anyone keep one and I’ve seen people keep staghorn sculpins.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Enigma posted:

The main reason for FG over double uni is if the knot passes through your guides regularly. FG offers a slim profile, whereas double uni can get bulky.

Otherwise just use double uni. Plenty strong and easier to tie/not gently caress up.

The double-fisherman is slightly different than the Double-Uni based on what I’m seeing.

The double fisherman is two barrel knots sliding against each other. The uni wraps the line differently, accomplishing the same thing.

You don’t have to wrap as many times in the Double-Fisherman, so maybe that’s why I see it as less bulky.

If you really want a super strong mid-line knot, it doesn’t get better than the Alpine butterfly with the loop snipped off.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I was doing a quick sesh before lunch so he went back into the ocean where he flopped a couple times on the surface and then floated away. I'm sure he made some crabs, or perhaps a passing bird, very happy.

I caught it on that, along with a few spotted bay bass too. I really like those lures, they're super fun to fish, you can cast them ridiculously far, they sink fast so great for deep water, and you can fish them when it's windy. So far I've caught mackerel, bass, and that smelt on it.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Sockington posted:

The double-fisherman is slightly different than the Double-Uni based on what I’m seeing.

The double fisherman is two barrel knots sliding against each other. The uni wraps the line differently, accomplishing the same thing.

You don’t have to wrap as many times in the Double-Fisherman, so maybe that’s why I see it as less bulky.

If you really want a super strong mid-line knot, it doesn’t get better than the Alpine butterfly with the loop snipped off.

The double fisherman definitely works on the same principle as the double uni. I wonder if it is as strong since it has fewer wraps?

Flyfishergoons, any feelings about this? Is anyone going to try to defend the nail knot?

I love seeing what you pull out of the bay. Same ocean, same coast, completely different fishery.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I love seeing what you pull out of the bay. Same ocean, same coast, completely different fishery.

Thanks man! I haven't even come close to catching all the species out there. That's one of the reasons I love fishing in the salt, you never know what you'll catch but you'll almost always catch something as opposed to when I would fish the lakes and maybe catch a couple largies.

I really want to catch one of these, definitely at the top of my bucket list.

https://sdfish.com/articles/bay-fishing-articles/san-diego-bays-most-exciting-sportfish-shortfin-corvina/

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

gay picnic defence posted:

Are you applying enough tension as you do each wrap for the FG? Ideally with each wrap the braid should bite into the leader a little bit.

I've got as much tension as possible given I'm just pulling off a couple spools to try this out. I'll have to try it on line thats actually on a rod. And floro leader thats not older than poo poo. Its leftover from when I was making rigs for saltwater fishing.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Elmnt80 posted:

I've got as much tension as possible given I'm just pulling off a couple spools to try this out. I'll have to try it on line thats actually on a rod. And floro leader thats not older than poo poo. Its leftover from when I was making rigs for saltwater fishing.

Using a rod will help a lot. Use enough tension to put a decent bend in the rod and you'll get nice tight wraps.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Seriously, try the Alberto knot. It makes a knot almost the same size/strength as the FG and it's much easier to tie. 7 wraps up, 7 down, wet it, cinch it down.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Elmnt80 posted:

Edit: As a thank you, have a picture of my fishing spot yesterday. This entire pond was full on covered in pads. I didn't see a clearing bigger than about 10-15ft across.

:eyepop:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

It was really pretty. Also, I really like the alberto knot. Seems to have excellent strength, easier to tie than the FG with a similar size knot. Thanks fishin' thread! :toot:

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
I’ve been using the Jack’s Knot for the last few months to tie on my flies, and it’s worked great. Strong, simple, low profile, and it’s pretty fast. I can even tie it when my hands are drat near numb. With practice, you can supposedly tie it without looking, I’m not quite there yet, but I can see how you could do it.

Apparently it was invented by a guy here in Kentucky some time ago, but never got much mention. Only problem I’ve had with it was trying to use it to tie on a dropper, and when it clinched down, it snipped through the first section of tippet. Hasn’t failed on me except the first time I tried it, and I realized after watching a video later that I’d gone around twice instead of only once before I passed the tag thru the loop.

Heres a link to an Orvis article and video mentioning it

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

I’ve been using the Jack’s Knot for the last few months to tie on my flies, and it’s worked great. Strong, simple, low profile, and it’s pretty fast. I can even tie it when my hands are drat near numb. With practice, you can supposedly tie it without looking, I’m not quite there yet, but I can see how you could do it.

This looks interesting for tippet savings and a smaller knot. Usually I just tie a five or six turn clinch knot with my hemos (https://youtu.be/nQs-iL4gHJk). Gets my flies back on the water quickly.

Before I became a civilized person and started using tippet rings, I would usually make my tippet to leader connection with a surgeon’s knot, also tied with my hemos.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I use a blood knot for leader to tippet, and improved clinch for tippet to fly but will try the Jack's knot.

Y'all know the trick of rolling the line in opposite directions to add the twist for the clinch knot right? Makes it really easy to tie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I went to the day 4 weigh in for the FLW tournament at Lake Toho. I won a fancy rod from Lews raffle and I can't find any info about it on the internet. :haw:

I'm not sure if its a promo only model or an early release of an upcoming refresh to the mach line. Its specs seem to match their custom speed stick line, but it has the fancy american wave guides. I think I'm gonna throw some good 12-15lb mono on it and use it as a dedicated squarebill crankbait and chatterbait rod. :toot: