Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I'm the land bridge to Australia.

And thanks for the suggestions for Arlo and Janis. Catching up now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'm the white man obscuring Africa.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

SuperKlaus posted:

What's the state of LBGT rights / life in South Korea anyway?

Don't ask don't tell mostly. There's an insane religious minority that really hates them, the same one that wants to bring back the old president who was taking orders from a cult, but they're so bonkers everyone tries to ignore them.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Not sure what's on the TV. Aside from there being a bike, obviously.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Now that I know how to read Boss Dharma, I'm find it immensely enjoyable. Thank you for translating it, Some Guy TT.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

goatface posted:

I'm the white man obscuring Africa.

That's literally every Phantom strip, though

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Some Guy TT posted:

It's Vincenzo Nibali riding a time trial (from the helmet), apparently in the yellow (? I'm colourblind) jersey. I think that would require footage from TdF 2014 (he would be in Astana team colours otherwise).

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Question

Geech- hard or soft G?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

G like in gif

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Some Guy TT posted:

The Tour de France.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

9 Chickweed Lane

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

So, I guess it's safe to assume that pheromones:
A: Are magic DNA magic, like in safe havens.
or
B: Convince characters in the strip, as well as the camera/reader/perspective that she is actually a rat.
Which is why she quickly reverted visually into a rabbit as the pheromones wore off.

I'm going with A.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
the angle on the crossed-fingers forearm looks uncomfortable coming from any of the three people visible in the panel

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

So they themselves called in that they were bringing in a rabbit, transformed Angelique into a rat in transit while putting her back on clothes and--- uUGH.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 30, 2019

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FrumpleOrz posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

We haven't been following 9CL very long, but so far both of the plots we've witnessed have to do with women deceiving their romantic partners -- the one last week who kept "forgetting" to tell him that she's actively trying to get pregnant by him, and now this one is tricking him into thinking he's... a good singer, I guess?

I know "stable happy couple" isn't a very interesting plot hook, but holy poo poo, these relationships are shallow cesspits of trickery and betrayal. I thought these were some of Brooke's main characters, who we're presumably supposed to like. Does he even know that he's writing them this dark?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

SuperKlaus posted:

Apologies if you knew all of this but I find it so interesting to see an artifact of the times reflect the history books and lectures. Historical comics are the best thing in this thread because they give us real insight into the past.

I knew almost none of this and this was genuinely super informative. Thanks!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

sweeperbravo posted:

Question

Geech- hard or soft G?

There's a Geech that's related to Gullah but I suspect it isn't related.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Ah, 9CL. It'd been over a whole day since I'd last said "gently caress off comic".

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

FrumpleOrz posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Get your filthy hack hands off Gilbert and Sullivan.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Holbrook has charming art, somewhat endearing characters, and you get the sense that he's a whimsical goofy guy that isn't harboring any dark secrets. I will roll my eyes at his strips, but they've never caused me to vomit in my mouth like 9CL or Intelligent Life. IL at least has super best dude Barry, where 9CL has no redeeming qualities.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Chickweed is at abomination levels while Holbrook is more deviant art cringe to me.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Holbrook also reads like an indictment against liberalism where exploitation is bad but only if it hurts the good ones who also happen to be your friends.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is so vain.

Working Daze comes close to making an actual joke.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is talking about you again.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Princess Planet
March 15th, 2006

March 16th, 2006

March 17th, 2006

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey finally tackles the big issues

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Discendo Vox posted:

Tiggum, could you share the fontsets you use to make these?

If only I had such a thing. I copy and paste the letters.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Helicity posted:

Holbrook has charming art, somewhat endearing characters, and you get the sense that he's a whimsical goofy guy that isn't harboring any dark secrets.
Yeah, no. Reading kevin and kell makes me feel like reading brother rock. The whole thing feels like an exercise in grooming, trying to sneak his horrible fetishes into a supposedly innocent context to normalize them. I read k&k when I was a kid, and honestly I feel kind of violated by that.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze comes close to making an actual joke.

Is it a joke or is it just a reference to The Addams Family? That's supposed to be Thing, right?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FrumpleOrz posted:

Is it a joke or is it just a reference to The Addams Family? That's supposed to be Thing, right?

The joke is that Thing is on her desk and she suddenly realizes it. This is one of the only Working Dazes I've ever even smiled at

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

The Bloop posted:

The joke is that Thing is on her desk and she suddenly realizes it. This is one of the only Working Dazes I've ever even smiled at

Ah, true enough. I'm so used to Working Daze to just use a reference as the "joke" that I didn't even think it through. They actually tried this time!

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

The Bloop posted:

[...] Working Daze [...] I smiled at

It's never too soon to make sure you have a plan for care when the dementia takes full hold. Have you made sure your loved ones will be taken care of and provided for in your absence?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I somehow didn't read the "Thing" in "Why thank you, Thing!" and that made it even closer to a real joke.

But god forbid you don't spell out the exact reference even though the joke would still work without it.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey finally tackles the big issues

He plays golf like the Cat from Red Dwarf, so apparently that's just how cats play golf...

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Yes, that's the birdbox challenge. To sit blindfolded on a sofa. Nailed it.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Scarodactyl posted:

Yeah, no. Reading kevin and kell makes me feel like reading brother rock. The whole thing feels like an exercise in grooming, trying to sneak his horrible fetishes into a supposedly innocent context to normalize them. I read k&k when I was a kid, and honestly I feel kind of violated by that.

completely agreed, i also read kevin and kell as a child and it feels very gross

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Alley Oop

Beetle Bailey

Fred Basset

Judge Parker

Red and Rover

Pizza bones? :confused:

Reply All

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

:psyduck:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Tiggum posted:

Red and Rover

dogs don't understand what pizza is

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Tiggum posted:

what they remove to make boneless pizza

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

It’s le Tour de France - you can see the little yellow square logo. It also makes sense they’re watching it due to the time difference - the race takes places early in the day all the way to early afternoon, which would make it late night viewing in Korea. I like these comics for all these little details.