Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

S.J. posted:

Are you having fun because you're playing Kill Team, or because of the people you're playing Kill Team with?

Honestly it started with the first and is slowly moving to the second, I didn't know any of these people until I started playing KT!

Liquid Communism posted:

The problem is that you need to play more Kill Team.

I am confident this is true however I fear for the implications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Halloween Jack posted:

What other setting includes a note explicitly saying "This whole setting doesn't revolve around the author's masturbation fantasies! Honest!"

Please tell me this exists for real. :allears:

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Yea, that's a pretty hilarious thing in the Waterdeep Heist book. It has this weird fan-service image of the major tavern with a bunch of significant NPCs in there, one of whom is Elminster just sitting there chilling. The fact that he could potentially solve the entire adventure in less time than it'd take to finish his pint isn't addressed.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

"But if I solved this problem, who would be here to drink my beer? Obviously you're needed."

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Dude used up his spell slots so is recovering. Even the setting's mary sue is subject to the wizard's workday

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Halloween Jack posted:

You'd think that the fanbase would rebel at the point where they're flat-out telling you "Nothing you do below epic-level matters, it's all a kiddie ride made by Ed's GMPC."

Which is worse? Faerun, a metaplot setting where the god-tier DMPCs are going around doing cooler stuff than you? Or Deadlands, a metaplot setting where the god-tier DMPCs go around killing PCs after they do enough cool stuff?

Edit: How come we never got an official Elminster stat block in 4e or 5e?

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 30, 2019

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Because if it had stats you can, and in many cases are expected, to kill it.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I think this is all skipping over the obvious campaign hook that the world is just an amusement park designed by a sufficiently powerful wizard.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Libertad! posted:

Which is worse? Faerun, a metaplot setting where the god-tier DMPCs are going around doing cooler stuff than you? Or Deadlands, a metaplot setting where the god-tier DMPCs go around killing PCs after they do enough cool stuff?
The question is "How much did I pay for that I'm just throwing out?"

Having read some FR and only F&Fs of Deadlands, the latter seems better because I can just write out Stone, or let the PCs whip his rear end. Whereas I've seen whole sections of FR sourcebooks that are just a waste.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 30, 2019

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Kwyndig posted:

That was always the weirdest drat saying.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Deadlands has a far higher percentage of usable content for me as a GM. Deadlands however makes me hate the authors far far more.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

You give me a game with combat as the only mechanically interesting way of interacting with the world. Then present people with deeply designed and statted out people, and you're gonna wanna see how your group does vs them.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Deadlands has a far higher percentage of usable content for me as a GM. Deadlands however makes me hate the authors far far more.

FR, at least, is not crammed full of Confederate apologia in a product written in the goddamn 21st century.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's true.

It's also certainly how my group operated in high school

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Kwyndig posted:

Also he was technically dead for most of 4e, as I recall.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Best edition.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Hey, there are enough pbp 4e games, is there a way to do a tactical grid that's easy to run from a phone and/or tablet? I want to run a Megaman X game in 4e or Strike! but would do most posting from my tablet during slow work days.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Moriatti posted:

Hey, there are enough pbp 4e games, is there a way to do a tactical grid that's easy to run from a phone and/or tablet? I want to run a Megaman X game in 4e or Strike! but would do most posting from my tablet during slow work days.

Roll20 map?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

How is the tablet integration?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Halloween Jack posted:

Best edition.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Moriatti posted:

How is the tablet integration?

It's supposed to be good, but it does require using one of their paid tiers.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I figured it's worth an ask: does anyone have a set of NATO counters that I could as tokens in a roll20 game?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Rick and Morty fans, bad opinions, sky blue

Also I really kinda want to play a Mega Man themed RPG. Make your own Robot Master!

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Rick would be a caster supremacist, though

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Pollyanna posted:

Also I really kinda want to play a Mega Man themed RPG. Make your own Robot Master!

How do you feel about X or ZX instead though. Hypothetically (or not hypothetically)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Moriatti posted:

How do you feel about X or ZX instead though. Hypothetically (or not hypothetically)

Those are fine too! I kinda wish we had more ZX games.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Horrible game hack thought of the day: D&D 5e but with the skill system stripped out and Fate aspects added (but keeping the full set of other mechanics, unlike 13th Age).

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

No thanks

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
From the people that brought you City of Mist, it’s:

Roadie posted:

D&D 5e but with the skill system stripped out and Fate aspects added (but keeping the full set of other mechanics, unlike 13th Age).

Serf
May 5, 2011

city of mist is probably the most disappointed i've been with an rpg in a long time

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Kickstarter posted:

City of Mist is a tabletop role-playing game about ordinary people in a modern city becoming incarnations of myths and legends.
How many times can we keep doing this?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

How many times can we keep doing this?

The next one will be a gritty supernatural noir game where all the PCs are empowered by astral spirits of tokusatsu giant monsters.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Hot take: PbtA is the indie D20.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Hot take: PbtA is the indie D20.

There have been more than zero good PbtA games though

(As an aside, I am still kinda boggled that a Cthulhu-loving pal of mine had CoC D20 as his gateway drug, though I suppose ruleswise it is maybe just a lateral move from BRP CoC)

Parkreiner fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 31, 2019

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Rick definitely would be the kind of smuglord that would loathe 4e based on some knee-jerk notion, so that checks out.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I remember there was this guy on the RPGnet forums who was like "It's obvious that CoC D20 is meant for running action horror games" and used it to play Resident Evil, and posted Actual Plays, and his fun drove people loving crazy.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Parkreiner posted:

There have been more than zero good PbtA games though

Doubt.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The creator may have Both Sides'd Snack Zabbath's awfulness, but Masks is really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

What the hell are you talking about: