Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Your Parents posted:

he doesnt watch the shows.

Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Draxion posted:

Is your ideal outcome here for Becky to be proven right and then gently caress off to Raw while Asuka looks like a champ who can't win her own matches?

They weren't forced to make the match.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Your Parents posted:

i mean they're real bad you can't blame him. that doesn't take anything away from any critique of the product, bad booking is bad booking and wwe's attendance and ratings are at its worst levels since 96. those are objective fact, not subject to different interpretation.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

You shouldn't listen to Bryan and Vinnie for analysis of the quality of the product that has any value besides comedy. Even Dave, honestly. Being a good entertainer or good reporter on stuff related to arts does not by any means make you good at critique of that art. Dave's biases in wrestling matches are hilariously apparent at this point, dude absolutely loves moves and overwrought "psychology" and basically can't bring himself to say anything bad about almost anyone in his circle (Charlotte was the obvious one, but I think Natalya has to be included at this point and Ospreay etc). He doesn't understand comedy wrestling at all or the sort of irony-poisoned love of a guy like Taichi.

There is not an ounce of irony in my blood when I say I love Taichi with my whole heart

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i mean they're real bad you can't blame him. that doesn't take anything away from any critique of the product, bad booking is bad booking and wwe's attendance and ratings are at its worst levels since 96. those are objective fact, not subject to different interpretation.

No thanks

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

sportsgenius86 posted:

Asian roller derby girls in Aaron Pico t-shirts

:frogon:

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Your Parents posted:

But is he wrong?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

OctoberCountry posted:

But is he wrong?

dont bother engaging with someone who is going to go out of their way to misunderstand you.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Talk about podcasts.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
This made me LOL

Dave: “Eight weeks no typing. Twelve weeks no training...I’ve actually been doing some training anyway.”

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Is Mark actually the kid from Home Movies?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Couldn't even wait a week before violating Doctor's orders, ahaha

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Draxion posted:

Is Mark actually the kid from Home Movies?

well I hope he stays rumbles only because I’m never unhearing that now

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Yeah, I kinda mentioned this a couple pages ago. Bryan's shtick walks a fine line between entertaining and "how can you have done this job for so long and still not understand how WWE works?"

Consistent bafflement is better than being jaded.

Being a podcast host does require some level of being animated, if they actually went as low energy as they doubtless feel for their midnight recording sessions, it'd loving suck to listen to. Imagine 3 Craigs

Raskolnikov38 posted:

well I hope he stays rumbles only because I’m never unhearing that now

They know he's 1-3 times a year max.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I sometimes wonder how much of Bryan (and Dave's) seeming confusion over some basic stuff is down to them knowing people who are directly involved in WWE booking decisions, and so they know what is SUPPOSED to be happening and can't figure out why things are happening that seem in direct contradiction* of where they believe the story is going to eventually end up.

* Vince McMahon is an insane old man.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I sometimes wonder how much of Bryan (and Dave's) seeming confusion over some basic stuff is down to them knowing people who are directly involved in WWE booking decisions, and so they know what is SUPPOSED to be happening and can't figure out why things are happening that seem in direct contradiction* of where they believe the story is going to eventually end up.

* Vince McMahon is an insane old man.

I considered this but I assume Dave knows far more people than Bryan and he always seems far less confused.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
After Mania 2000 where everything makes sense and is logical and they do gangbusters business Bryan is going to be furious watching modern WWE

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

mania 2000 is a mess and is probably the worst wwe ppv of the year.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

STONE COLD 64 posted:

It is tragic they are skipping PPVs and won't read Dave's glowing reviews of HHH, WON's 2000 Wrestler of the Year and 3rd place finisher as Most Outstanding Wrestler.

This is tangential and funny. I know you really needed TV to win a 2000 award but woof

quote:

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
1. SHAWN O’HAIRE (82) 839
2. Mike Sanders (103) 700
3. Takehiro Murahama (68) 362
4. Takeshi Rikio (57) 325
5. Mark Jindrak (29) 316
6. Shelton Benjamin (33) 282
7. Trish Stratus (12) 210
8. Kenzo Suzuki (15) 199
9. Kenta Kobayashi (20) 128
10. Yun Yang (2) 93
Honorable Mention: American Dragon 91, Johnny the Bull 72

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
2000, what a time to be alive. The Natural Born Thrillers as the future of wrestling.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

It is tragic they are skipping PPVs and won't read Dave's glowing reviews of HHH, WON's 2000 Wrestler of the Year and 3rd place finisher as Most Outstanding Wrestler.

This is tangential and funny. I know you really needed TV to win a 2000 award but woof
proof that the WON voters are idiots

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I've come to the conclusion that everyone in 2000 was dumb as hell if they thought Mike Sanders was number 2, let alone anywhere in the top 10, for rookie of the year.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Triple H was an incredible wrestler in 2000. Tearing his quad (in 2001?) hosed with his momentum, but the biggest tragedy is that he got himself so jacked up with muscle during his rehab and lost a ton of the mobility that made him so good in-ring.

I'm sure the same issues would have existed with his love of "epic" matches that plagued the rest of his run in the 2000s, but I don't think it's controversial at all to think of Triple H in 2000 as right up there as one of the best wrestlers in the world. His closest competition at the time from memory was Chris Benoit and Kenta Kobashi which is pretty amazing company to be in.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

That rookie list is something as even the big names on it have had iffy careers or careers derailed by injury (or in KENTA/Itami's case by going to the WWE)

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Mike Sanders had one objectively good match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN_rVTdAPN8

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5oNPrJ9MMc

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Isn't American Dragon what Daniel Bryan used to call himself?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

This one involved Mike Sanders talking, and therefore an argument exists that it was bad.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

Isn't American Dragon what Daniel Bryan used to call himself?

yes

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1090500926626906112

I'm guessing we got more news yet to break beyond KENTA and Dean

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I want an hour of Dave explaining the origin story of the WEED BELT

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

SatoshiMiwa posted:

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1090500926626906112

I'm guessing we got more news yet to break beyond KENTA and Dean

Probably MMA related.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Agreed. I like the TV that follows it though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The B&V Show is incredible today, especially when they get to the Flair/Funk segment on WCW.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I actually watched the Retro Raw and the Kitty/Wippleman match is maybe the worst thing I’ve ever see

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

I actually watched the Retro Raw and the Kitty/Wippleman match is maybe the worst thing I’ve ever see

I don't doubt it was probably loving terrible but can it really be worse than the Madusa/Oklahoma match at Souled Out? That was one of the worst things I had ever seen, so bad I have refused to watch it ever again since it first aired in 2000.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

It's easy to laugh, but you have to give it to the Observer readers who saw raw American Dragon on the Texas Wrestling Academy TV show. Far as I'm aware it was only on in the San Antonio area so you had to be going out of your way to watch that.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The Bruce Pritchard/Cole rant was so good I rewound it and listened again

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

The Bruce Pritchard/Cole rant was so good I rewound it and listened again

"That was a weird flex" absolutely cracked me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

"That was a weird flex" absolutely cracked me up.
:same: I think it’s the best thing Craig’s said in months

E: oh it was Vinny who said it, that makes more sense

jesus WEP fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jan 30, 2019