Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Or anyone on Supernatural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

counterfeitsaint posted:

Coulson has died so many times it's hardly even noteworthy at this point. It was the catalyst for the show even.

I think Ward's ahead.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

GreenNight posted:

Or anyone on Supernatural.

I mean, no one should be held by the Supernatural standards. They've died so many times they literally lost count and Death got pissed.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, no one should be held by the Supernatural standards. They've died so many times they literally lost count and Death got pissed.

They are directly responsible for actually destroying Death when God’s Sister was let out of her cage. Then one of his Reapers had to step up and take over the office of Death.

(That show just progressively got more and more bugfuck each season. I’m like a frog in slowly heating water, poo poo like what I just wrote I just nod and go, “well yeah, that’s what happens”.)

That show is so unrepentantly out of its mind and I love it.

E: also Booger as Metatron and God hiding out on earth as a mediocre urban fantasy author is icing.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 30, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There was some point this season where i was like "Ok, so the Devil possessed the President of the United States to impregnate a woman to give birth to the anti-Christ, but then the Winchesters banish Lucifer to an alternate dimension, the Anti-Christ ages into his 20s, the Winchesters adopt him as a brother, he gets sucked into the alternate dimension with their resurrected mom who takes him in, and then he gets back and loses his powers and becomes the Winchester's goofy brother who doesn't know how to talk to girls and gets really excited when he encounters an actual Sleeping Beauty."

That's just what this show has gradually become over 13 years... and I'm very good with that. Oh, a Scooby Doo crossover episode? Lets do this.

Its just funny to think back to like S5 and think "remember when they thought Dean had died a few coughhundredcough many times so they did a whole episode with actual angels and Heaven saying 'no more!'?" How quaint.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 30, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Didn't Phil die several times when they tried to revive him?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

From the Avengers? I think he just died the one time at Loki's hand and then they just erased his memories because it turns out dying and being brought back messes with your head.

Has he died since then? I can't think of anything else. It feels like it just seems like a lot because all of S1 was people going "Didn't you die?"

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I was thinking he's died 4 times now, but maybe it was just 3. 1st to start the show, 2nd last season and get revived with defibrillation, and now a 3rd time for real but skrulls.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

I was thinking he's died 4 times now, but maybe it was just 3. 1st to start the show, 2nd last season and get revived with defibrillation, and now a 3rd time for real but skrulls.

You're forgetting LMD C.O.U.L.S.O.N so yeah, 4 times.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

There was some point this season where i was like "Ok, so the Devil possessed the President of the United States to impregnate a woman to give birth to the anti-Christ, but then the Winchesters banish Lucifer to an alternate dimension, the Anti-Christ ages into his 20s, the Winchesters adopt him as a brother, he gets sucked into the alternate dimension with their resurrected mom who takes him in, and then he gets back and loses his powers and becomes the Winchester's goofy brother who doesn't know how to talk to girls and gets really excited when he encounters an actual Sleeping Beauty."

That's just what this show has gradually become over 13 years... and I'm very good with that. Oh, a Scooby Doo crossover episode? Lets do this.

The show has gotten far, far better in the last few seasons by giving up and actually having some fun with the stupidity. It tried so hard to be brooding and dramatic for a while that it was beyond painful to watch. Plus during those same seasons the Winchesters were insufferable assholes who just kept getting people killed with almost no upside to them.

Seasons 1-5 are pretty much a Hunter: The Reckoning TV show. Season 7 isn't bad though some people hate it (The Pentex season, I call it). Season 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12 are super loving painful. Everyone changing their mind every two seconds floating aimlessly being a fuckup or an rear end in a top hat, keeping secreeets. I think around 13 it started to just have fun with things and I'd say it's legitimately fun to watch for the first time in a long while.

The fact the show just now returned a supporting cast to the show and isn't ALWAYS just the Winchesters has also helped a huge amount. The whole world building about hunters and stuff is what made the early seasons great, then it got jammed into an odd footnote for ages. It's much better off having likable characters again. Bobby being back as a supporting role is so drat welcome.

ED: I will always laugh about the season where Dean was supposed to be getting dark and edgy and yet was written to be a nicer guy, consistently, than he had been for like 4 seasons. Everyone going "Dean's going so rogue, he said mean things to that guy!" was hilarious when he was gutting people just for being not human the previous year.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jan 30, 2019

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Blazing Ownager posted:

The show has gotten far, far better in the last few seasons by giving up and actually having some fun with the stupidity. It tried so hard to be brooding and dramatic for a while that it was beyond painful to watch. Plus during those same seasons the Winchesters were insufferable assholes who just kept getting people killed with almost no upside to them.

Seasons 1-5 are pretty much a Hunter: The Reckoning TV show. Season 7 isn't bad though some people hate it (The Pentex season, I call it). Season 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12 are super loving painful. Everyone changing their mind every two seconds floating aimlessly being a fuckup or an rear end in a top hat, keeping secreeets. I think around 13 it started to just have fun with things and I'd say it's legitimately fun to watch for the first time in a long while.

The fact the show just now returned a supporting cast to the show and isn't ALWAYS just the Winchesters has also helped a huge amount. The whole world building about hunters and stuff is what made the early seasons great, then it got jammed into an odd footnote for ages. It's much better off having likable characters again. Bobby being back as a supporting role is so drat welcome.

ED: I will always laugh about the season where Dean was supposed to be getting dark and edgy and yet was written to be a nicer guy, consistently, than he had been for like 4 seasons. Everyone going "Dean's going so rogue, he said mean things to that guy!" was hilarious when he was gutting people just for being not human the previous year.

...? Is this still the right thread? Is the whole thread having a stroke? Oh god, am I having a stroke?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its my fault. I'm sorry.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

homullus posted:

I think Ward's ahead.

Speaking of Ward... Just hit the Framework episodes on my slow-roll re-watching of season 4. God drat was that such a satisfying reveal that he's Good Guy Ward and still somehow a mole and double-agent. I always felt bad for the Framework version of him. And the Framework people themselves. :( RIP Hellbook-spawned alternate reality.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Apoplexy posted:

Speaking of Ward... Just hit the Framework episodes on my slow-roll re-watching of season 4. God drat was that such a satisfying reveal that he's Good Guy Ward and still somehow a mole and double-agent. I always felt bad for the Framework version of him. And the Framework people themselves. :( RIP Hellbook-spawned alternate reality.

Simmons's reaction was the best. :allears:
https://i.imgur.com/aM2mdZc.gifv

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

The Ghost Rider-LMD-Framework chain of arcs just felt the show really hitting a spectacular stride of doing some cool comic/classic sci-fi Speculative stories, and it was so good.

The final 2 or 3 minutes of Daisy waking up in the bathtub and Ward is in the next room, then May drinking her morning coffee at the Hydra building was just such a great snippet.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Ambivalent posted:

The Ghost Rider-LMD-Framework chain of arcs just felt the show really hitting a spectacular stride of doing some cool comic/classic sci-fi Speculative stories, and it was so good.

The final 2 or 3 minutes of Daisy waking up in the bathtub and Ward is in the next room, then May drinking her morning coffee at the Hydra building was just such a great snippet.

It was. I still think one of the best moments of the show was that opening stinger of AIDA hacking up Ivanov's body, though. And Daisy being given Terrigen inside the Framework.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

Ambivalent posted:

This show and the CW DC shows are always at their best when they are just straight up doing crazy comic stuff. Just keep leaning all the way into it.

Drama is fine and all but if isn't happening in the context of fighting a demonically empowered AI in an alternate computer reality what's even the point of adapting comics?

sunday at work fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 31, 2019

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

counterfeitsaint posted:

After I die, when somebody asks "when did they die?" Nobody on the loving planet is going to answer "well, once when they were a baby, then again last month."

Being "dead" and getting defibrilated back to life isn't dying. Coulson died once in Avengers and again at the end of last season.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

In fairness if your heart stopped and you were revived you'd probably be all "Woah! I died!"

I still don't think it should count. OR LMD Coulson. Its only a TV death if it was used for dramatic purposes to sell to us as a death. I'm iffy on people who are presumed dead by an event off camera who you totally know are gonna come back.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Ambivalent posted:

I found the Season 4 thread and re-read the live reactions, and they're still great. :allears:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

sunday at work posted:

This show and the CW DC shows are always at their best when they are just straight up doing crazy comic stuff. Just keep leaning all the way into it.

Drama is fine and all but if isn't happening in the context of fighting a demonically empowered AI in an alternate computer reality what's even the point of adapting comics?

Yea, but they think they need lots of Felicity Talk crying that people lying to each other for no reason.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Slashrat posted:

While I'm sad Coulson is dead, I'm glad Clark Gregg seems to be sticking around as a significant presence on the show.

The best thing about captain marvel is that now anybody can be plopped back into the show because SKRULL THE WHOLE TIME never goes out of style

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Ward? SKRULL. Except he was the good ward from season 1

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Evil Ward was the good Ward.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

LividLiquid posted:

After I die, when somebody asks "when did they die?" Nobody on the loving planet is going to answer "well, once when they were a baby, then again last month."

Being "dead" and getting defibrilated back to life isn't dying. Coulson died once in Avengers and again at the end of last season.

Take it up with the show, they made a similar joke after bringing him back with the defibrilators.

Alternatively, you can chill the gently caress out for once in your posting career.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I went to college with a dude who's heart stopped for like 4 minutes and you bet your rear end he used "the time I died" as a pick up ploy.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

AOS got a really odd mention in last night's Trump/Baldwin opening on SNL.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

notthegoatseguy posted:

AOS got a really odd mention in last night's Trump/Baldwin opening on SNL.

Can you recap for those of us who don't watch it?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Slashrat posted:

Can you recap for those of us who don't watch it?

It was Alec Baldwin doing a cold open as Trump. During the Q&A he skipped over an NBC correspondent and picked ABC because of that Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. show.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I totally forgot what thread we were in and thought you were referring to AOC, lol

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

PunkBoy posted:

I found the Season 4 thread and re-read the live reactions, and they're still great. :allears:

Link for those of us too lazy to go searching for ourselves?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Proteus Jones posted:

It was Alec Baldwin doing a cold open as Trump. During the Q&A he skipped over an NBC correspondent and picked ABC because of that Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. show.

Is this a compliment? I'm not sure.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CornHolio posted:

Link for those of us too lazy to go searching for ourselves?

Hey! I'm lazy too!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790245

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Page 89 specifically, but the reactions to the rest of the episode are also very good.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790245&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=89

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

PunkBoy posted:

Page 89 specifically, but the reactions to the rest of the episode are also very good.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790245&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=89

That was just a sick burn on all of the Daisy/Lincoln fans. Lincoln gets a ton of mentions throughout the season, they're building up to him returning, and then it is loving Ward in the Framework.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

notthegoatseguy posted:

That was just a sick burn on all of the Daisy/Lincoln fans. Lincoln gets a ton of mentions throughout the season, they're building up to him returning, and then it is loving Ward in the Framework.

It was always going to be Ward. It made sense in universe given what Framework Hydra was doing to inhumans, plus this show loves to give Brett Dalton work. I'm pretty sure they all had a day of mourning when they realized there wasn't really a good way to work him into season 5 outside of that one episode with the fear dimension, and that probably wasn't a good enough reason to actually call him in.

My favorite thing about FrameWard is how Simmons is still completely fed up with him and has no time or regard for his simulated redemption.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I enjoyed how while they kept bringing him back they never tried to redeem the character. There wasn't some writer shouting "no you're supposed to like this guy" they kept him *because* it kept getting creepier and more broken.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Bruceski posted:

I enjoyed how while they kept bringing him back they never tried to redeem the character. There wasn't some writer shouting "no you're supposed to like this guy" they kept him *because* it kept getting creepier and more broken.

This show's Krychek.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

quote:

Nearly three months ahead of the season six premiere, Ming-Na Wen confirmed filming has already begun on the seventh season of Agents of SHIELD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OB_Juan posted:

This show's Krychek.

lmao even today i can hear it yelled out in a mulder voice