Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Big Bob Pataki posted:

The mailbag episode after BVS is one of my favorite episodes of any podcast. Those suckers don't know what they're missing.

they're missing all THE PARADEMONS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Fart City posted:

Not only that, but the whole thing was a huge passion project for him. He’d been trying to get it developed for years.

Drew McWeeny talked a little bit about this on HDTGM (on the Toys episode): almost all passion projects turn out crappy because the scripts aren't touched and the sheer investment in vision above anything else doesn't allow for anyone to take a step back and be like "this is a bad, bad idea" or to be like "who is this actually made for". Battlefield Earth springs to mind as another one.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's not really their fault though, they've never even read a comic before.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Drew McWeeny talked a little bit about this on HDTGM (on the Toys episode): almost all passion projects turn out crappy because the scripts aren't touched and the sheer investment in vision above anything else doesn't allow for anyone to take a step back and be like "this is a bad, bad idea" or to be like "who is this actually made for". Battlefield Earth springs to mind as another one.

Happytime Murders, FWIW, seems to be the exact opposite of this. Henson's script got a lot of buzz and was apparently a mostly-played-straight neo-noir; the movie we got is flaming poo poo because Melissa McCarthy's husband did a page-one rewrite to turn it into a Melissa McCarthy movie.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

General Dog posted:

He's just continuing the legacy of those brutally unfunny muppet skits his dad did for SNL.

The Land of Gorch is better than most of the musical performances. But so is turning the TV off.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

This is deep and says something about society.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

People got paid millions of dollars to make a movie about puppet cum.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Seriously, I don't mind Melissa McCarthy as an actress, but gross-out comedies are not what she's even remotely loving good at and I don't understand why her husband is so desperate to shove that particular square peg through.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Elderbean posted:

People got paid millions of dollars to make a movie about puppet cum get back at their workaholic father.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

The production footage in the credits is the highlight of Happytime. It's bizarrely fascinating to see people in green jumpsuits crouching and contorting for a 90 minute dick joke. Life of the Party is the lesser 2018 McCarthy vehicle because it lacks any ambition.

Really, Happytime Murders is the kind of bad you can only get when you have lots of talented and funny people gathered together and not a single one of them can think of anything more creative than “What if puppets but with sex and violence?”

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rahonavis posted:

Really, Happytime Murders is the kind of bad you can only get when you have lots of talented and funny people gathered together and not a single one of them can think of anything more creative than “What if puppets but with sex and violence?”
Team America is "What if puppets but with sex and violence?" and yet it manages to be 100% funnier than this piece of poo poo

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Happytime Murders, FWIW, seems to be the exact opposite of this. Henson's script got a lot of buzz and was apparently a mostly-played-straight neo-noir; the movie we got is flaming poo poo because Melissa McCarthy's husband did a page-one rewrite to turn it into a Melissa McCarthy movie.

Yeah, I was hoping to hear a little more about this from somebody. I definitely remember an old article when it was in early production that was hyping it up as a weird dark comedy where most of the jokes were just about the colorful muppets clashing with a noir story. Like there was a shot of a big bird style burlesque dancer strangled with a boa and the main detective pontificating on the senselessness of it all while blowing stuffing away. Gave me the weird feeling when I first saw the actual trailers and it was just another McCarthy movie.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I laughed so hard at the immediate transition from “and then Mellisa McCarthy bites some puppet’s cock off” right into the little Spanish flea ad music.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Ah, gotcha. Welp, in the words of Andrew Jupin: "That stinks".

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
You know, I also could have sworn Will Arnett voiced the puppet before I listened to this episode

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Imagine puppets saying curse words being the passion project you've worked so hard to realize, finally getting it done in 2018. Even though this had been done extensively by many other people to the point of un-funniness for the past 60 years. I wonder if he was stewing in rage as he saw things like Crank Yankers, Meet the Feebles, and Wonder Showzen, knowing that some day he'd get to show these philistines what puppet ejaculation is all about.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Tato posted:

Imagine puppets saying curse words being the passion project you've worked so hard to realize, finally getting it done in 2018. Even though this had been done extensively by many other people to the point of un-funniness for the past 60 years. I wonder if he was stewing in rage as he saw things like Crank Yankers, Meet the Feebles, and Wonder Showzen, knowing that some day he'd get to show these philistines what puppet ejaculation is all about.

The idea of the movie being a straight forward noir, just with puppets, is an interesting idea. And the WHM boys hit on a few funny ideas, mostly playing around with the idea that these are puppets and would be basically weightless sacks of felt and cotton.

Like when they mentioned the puppet should have gotten thrown in the jet engine and a bunch of stuffing flew out the other end - that could be funny. A puppet trying to fight somebody and the guy just picking it up and tossing it away could be funny.

But making the entire movie "What if a puppet said gently caress and was HORNY" is something I'd have written as an edgy 13 year old.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
It sounds like the original version had more of a roger rabbit vibe, which couldve been awesome

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
"Let me be science" caused a loud laugh in the gym yesterday.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tato posted:

I'm pretty sure he's angrier that this movie had puppet ejaculation jokes in it than anything else, given that the whole idea of his passion project was to make a regular-rear end R-rated noir movie but with muppets.

Like, I'm not sure if he's actively said anything about it, but if I were Brian Henson I would be fairly angry that my passion project got turned into this, when by all appearances it began life as something way, way better.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm pretty sure he's angrier that this movie had puppet ejaculation jokes in it than anything else, given that the whole idea of his passion project was to make a regular-rear end R-rated noir movie but with muppets.

Like, I'm not sure if he's actively said anything about it, but if I were Brian Henson I would be fairly angry that my passion project got turned into this, when by all appearances it began life as something way, way better.

Check the video I posted earlier. He talks directly about the ejaculation scene. He says something like how it’s not funny because it’s a puppet ejaculating, but it’s the ejaculation being silly string that makes it funny.

This was his doing.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cael posted:

I laughed so hard at the immediate transition from “and then Mellisa McCarthy bites some puppet’s cock off” right into the little Spanish flea ad music.

I thought it was just me. I died.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

It sounds like the original version had more of a roger rabbit vibe, which couldve been awesome

Right. Brick meets Roger Rabbit is not the worst idea in the world. It could, at the very least, be an interesting cult classic.

Happytime Murders has the problem which is the other end of the stick of the Passion Project problem: call it the Black List Problem.

So the Black List (not the TV show), as alluded to in the episode, is a famous list of movie scripts which are considered by professional screenwriters to be great scripts but which have languished for years without being made into movies. It's all the best movies that never were, if you believe the hype. It's been a thing since 2005 and got a lot of exposure four or five years ago, after which some Black List scripts finally* started to get made into films, and 99% of them have sucked. Hard.

Is this because the whole idea of The Black List is overblown? yeah, probably. But it's also because of a basic principle that should be obvious if you think about it. Why does a script appear on the Black List? Because some people think it's really good, but also because none of the people who think it's good have any kind of real power within the movie industry. Because if they had the power to green light scripts and they liked a script, that script would currently be in production and hence not on the Black List. So in order for a script on the Black list to get made, one of two things has to happen:

a) One of the people behind the script finally does something which gets them enough juice in Hollywood that they get their pick of movie project. At this point, the script graduates from Black List to Passion Project, and for the reasons already stated, those almost always suck.

b) Someone in Hollywood who has sufficient juice but isn't creative finds themselves desperate enough to gamble on an untried property, and they hear about this trendy new Black List thing and decide to make a movie. Now the script, which might actually be really good, is getting made, but it's getting made by someone other than the author, who has their own agenda that they're going to try to cram the movie into. This is Happytime Murders.

c) everything works perfectly and a great movie gets made. This is John Wick (Black list 2012). This only happened that one time.

*Actually, a gently caress-ton of them got made into movies before the list was popularized and, if anything, fewer of them have gotten made into movies since people started podcasting about it, but whatevers.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 31, 2019

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
How was John Wick described on the black list. I really need to watch it

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Calaveron posted:

How was John Wick described on the black list. I really need to watch it

On the Black List, John Wick was described as "Dude, Calaveron, you've gotta loving watch this movie right now, and the sequel, and then the trailer for the third, what the gently caress man stop posting right now and go do it"

I believe that was the exact verbiage at least

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Right. Brick meets Roger Rabbit is not the worst idea in the world. It could, at the very least, be an interesting cult classic.

Happytime Murders has the problem which is the other end of the stick of the Passion Project problem: call it the Black List Problem.

So the Black List (not the TV show), as alluded to in the episode, is a famous list of movie scripts which are considered by professional screenwriters to be great scripts but which have languished for years without being made into movies. It's all the best movies that never were, if you believe the hype. It's been a thing since 2005 and got a lot of exposure four or five years ago, after which some Black List scripts finally* started to get made into films, and 99% of them have sucked. Hard.

Is this because the whole idea of The Black List is overblown? yeah, probably. But it's also because of a basic principle that should be obvious if you think about it. Why does a script appear on the Black List? Because some people think it's really good, but also because none of the people who think it's good have any kind of real power within the movie industry. Because if they had the power to green light scripts and they liked a script, that script would currently be in production and hence not on the Black List. So in order for a script on the Black list to get made, one of two things has to happen:

a) One of the people behind the script finally does something which gets them enough juice in Hollywood that they get their pick of movie project. At this point, the script graduates from Black List to Passion Project, and for the reasons already stated, those almost always suck.

b) Someone in Hollywood who has sufficient juice but isn't creative finds themselves desperate enough to gamble on an untried property, and they hear about this trendy new Black List thing and decide to make a movie. Now the script, which might actually be really good, is getting made, but it's getting made by someone other than the author, who has their own agenda that they're going to try to cram the movie into. This is Happytime Murders.

c) everything works perfectly and a great movie gets made. This is John Wick (Black list 2012). This only happened that one time.

*Actually, a gently caress-ton of them got made into movies before the list was popularized and, if anything, fewer of them have gotten made into movies since people started podcasting about it, but whatevers.

this is an incredibly dumb post. i want you (and anyone else who wants to marvel at how dumb this post is) to read the list on this Wiki article of all of the movies featured on the Black List at some point that got made and note how many good movies there are.

literally the very first year of the Black List featured:

The American
Babel
Blood Diamond
Horrible Bosses
Hot Rod
Juno
The Kite Runner
Lars and the Real Girl
Little Children
Little Miss Sunshine
Margaret
Michael Clayton
Nebraska
Notes on a Scandal
The Other Boelyn Girl
The Prestige
The Queen
Stop Loss
Under The Skin
And Motherfucking Zodiac.

edit:
in the same year as John Wick there were literally three future Best Picture nominees you dummy

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 31, 2019

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

DC Murderverse posted:

this is an incredibly dumb post. i want you (and anyone else who wants to marvel at how dumb this post is) to read the list on this Wiki article of all of the movies featured on the Black List at some point that got made and note how many good movies there are.

I was being tongue in cheek -- I don't literally think John Wick was the only good movie from the Black list -- but I was pointing out how a bunch of very prominent WHM-level clunkers -- Life Itself, Bird Box, Transcendance, The Last Witchhunter, Bad Grandpa -- got their start on what was supposed to be a list of the very best scripts, and how you might get from here to there, but it turns out I was misremembering a bunch of movies as having been on the Black list that weren't. I could have sworn Bright was on there.

So, fair enough, my bad.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Bad Grandpa is a good movie. I will die on this hill.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Dirty Grandpa, not Bad Grandpa

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
A lot of these Black List films have provided great WHM episodes. The Last Witch Hunter, Life Itself, Wild Hogs, Dracula Untold, Dirty Grandpa, and Transcendence. If the movies end up great, cool beans, if they're awful we get a WHM episode on them. Win win

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
When I first read about The Happytime Murders almost a decade ago, I thought it was going to be a movie adaptation of Puppet Rapist (which I think was made by a goon?).

http://ny.channel101.com/show.php?show=54

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Andorra posted:

Dirty Grandpa, not Bad Grandpa

Would somebody PLEASE wipe Dirty Grandpa's rear end already?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Brocktoon posted:

When I first read about The Happytime Murders almost a decade ago, I thought it was going to be a movie adaptation of Puppet Rapist (which I think was made by a goon?).

http://ny.channel101.com/show.php?show=54

Holy cow, blast from the past.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Between Happytime Murders and Dirty Grandpa, it turns out "What if ________ jerked off and swore a lot?" isn't a good premise for a movie

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Andorra posted:

Between Happytime Murders and Dirty Grandpa, it turns out "What if ________ jerked off and swore a lot?" isn't a good premise for a movie

Bad Santa was alright

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

PostNouveau posted:

Bad Santa was alright

Not sure if Bad Santa has aged all that well, but I think we can all agree that Bad Santa 2 was trash.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Dunno if this was posted yet but they've announced the movies for "The East Cage Tour"

4/22 - Knowing
4/23 - Gone in 60 Seconds
4/24 - National Treasure
4/25 - The Wicker Man

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Captain Hotbutt posted:

4/25 - The Wicker Man

Oh poo poo!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Dunno if this was posted yet but they've announced the movies for "The East Cage Tour"

4/22 - Knowing
4/23 - Gone in 60 Seconds
4/24 - National Treasure
4/25 - The Wicker Man

I have only seen two of these but it won't lessen my enjoyment of any episode. That's how good a podcast this is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I actually like National Treasure as a solid hangover movie. Still looking forward to the episode.