Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

Ah, thanks.

Can anybody ID this aircraft? Beechcraft Musketeer?

Pretty sure that's a Navion with the optional wing-tip tanks. The giveaway being the tail surfaces scaled straight down from those of the P-51 to appeal to post-war wannabe fighter pilots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

BalloonFish posted:

Pretty sure that's a Navion with the optional wing-tip tanks. The giveaway being the tail surfaces scaled straight down from those of the P-51 to appeal to post-war wannabe fighter pilots.

Thanks. Have a comet?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Nah let's have a Cronenberg-ed out Nimrod

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

BalloonFish posted:

Seconding Navion.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

vessbot posted:

Nah let's have a Cronenberg-ed out Nimrod

A fine boi

He chomnk

MEGACHONK

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

something something flared base

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
While the flared base keeps it from getting stick, sadly, it doesn't prevent it from exploding.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 30, 2019

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

Thanks. Have a comet?

Gratefully received. For all the stupid, mis-managed, badly-conceived and arrogantly-proposed projects the British aircraft industry produced in the post-war period, we could make a great-looking plane. The Comet 4 is one of the best.

I await the Fairey Gannets, Handley Page Victors, Short Skyvans and De Havilland Sea Vixens in response, of course, but the Vickers Super VC10 puts the account in a lot of credit by itself

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

ReelBigLizard posted:

something something flared base

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

It’s presenting, the shameful harlot.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Nebakenezzer posted:

Ah, thanks.

Looks like a Navion.

Edit: Jeez, got sniped by a whole page.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

so am i correct if i interpret this as a non-issue?

Practically, yeah I'd say so. Maybe very low key issue. Probably more an issue of why hasn't ANA done the EEC software upgrade yet, since they've had a year. But it might be really low priority or Rolls might be charging for it as a performance improvement mod or some other reason.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Oh heck, what are yall up to?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Inacio posted:

Oh heck, what are yall up to?

Stationing some top motivated political advisors close to a country which might need some political advice quite soon?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN2J_eBP8OQ

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

BalloonFish posted:

Gratefully received. For all the stupid, mis-managed, badly-conceived and arrogantly-proposed projects the British aircraft industry produced in the post-war period, we could make a great-looking plane. The Comet 4 is one of the best.

I await the Fairey Gannets, Handley Page Victors, Short Skyvans and De Havilland Sea Vixens in response, of course, but the Vickers Super VC10 puts the account in a lot of credit by itself

I think the VC10 looks good, though I actually like the look of the Gannet, Victor, and the Shackleton, kind of a brutalist dieselpunk thing.

Also, the Bristol Britannia:

I was thinking about the Airspeed Ambassador, but looking at pictures it's kinda like a C-119 and the Connie had a bastard child:

OTHER:

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
360 degree panorama of an SR-71 cockpit.

Click the little Windows-looking icon on the bottom left to see the whole catalog of cockpit panoramas. There's some cool stuff in there.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

The finest twin ever made

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

dupersaurus posted:

I think the picture is a Mosquito. The Hornet's nose didn't extend past the props, had slimmer engines and the fuselage flowed into the rudder.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

dupersaurus posted:

No that award goes to Emily or her sister from when I was in high school, sorry.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

dupersaurus posted:

In any category I'd say there's strong competition, but considering its times and purpose I am easily recruited to your team. Read a book by a Norwegian pilot, he said he was strongly warned in twin training to never turn into a dead engine, but the Mosquito was so nice to fly he did so just fine while landing it. Just carry a bit of extra speed. I wonder what it could cost today to recruit some grand piano woodworkers to build a 360 mph piston twin.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Ola posted:

In any category I'd say there's strong competition, but considering its times and purpose I am easily recruited to your team. Read a book by a Norwegian pilot, he said he was strongly warned in twin training to never turn into a dead engine, but the Mosquito was so nice to fly he did so just fine while landing it. Just carry a bit of extra speed. I wonder what it could cost today to recruit some grand piano woodworkers to build a 360 mph piston twin.

It did inspire imitators. Y'all know about the Ta 154 Moskito (I mean way to not give the RAF the power, Germany) but I just heard of this guy. TL;DR Argentina sorta built their own mosquito copy and operated them in the 1950s.

PS> Is the Mosquito the only British aircraft to be used by the Americans during WW2?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

joat mon posted:

I think the picture is a Mosquito. The Hornet's nose didn't extend past the props, had slimmer engines and the fuselage flowed into the rudder.

:boom:

Honorable mention: Tigercat

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Ola posted:

My uncle's uncle (my great uncle? I guess?) flew a variety of planes during WW2 including the Mosquito and he had nothing but praise for it. We have some of flight camera footage that I posted in the mil history thread where he's strafing flak boats Norweigan fjords; the stuff you could do in that plane is unbelievable. I saw that an air enthusiast club managed to build a flying Mosquito in the last 5 years, which required scrounging for parts across the entire Commonwealth.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

PS> Is the Mosquito the only British aircraft to be used by the Americans during WW2?

Spitfire; DH Tiger Moth and Avro Anson had USAAF designations assigned, though I don't know if they were actually used by the US.

Also for my money nothing beats the XA-14/A-18 for sleek twins.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Dreylad posted:

My uncle's uncle (my great uncle? I guess?) flew a variety of planes during WW2 including the Mosquito and he had nothing but praise for it. We have some of flight camera footage that I posted in the mil history thread where he's strafing flak boats Norweigan fjords; the stuff you could do in that plane is unbelievable. I saw that an air enthusiast club managed to build a flying Mosquito in the last 5 years, which required scrounging for parts across the entire Commonwealth.

Post history is a bit iffy these days, please repost here!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

It did inspire imitators. Y'all know about the Ta 154 Moskito (I mean way to not give the RAF the power, Germany) but I just heard of this guy. TL;DR Argentina sorta built their own mosquito copy and operated them in the 1950s.

The Mustang :colbert:

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Carth Dookie posted:

No that award goes to Emily or her sister from when I was in high school, sorry.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Nebakenezzer posted:

Ah, thanks.

A navion with tip tanks?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Spitfire; DH Tiger Moth and Avro Anson had USAAF designations assigned, though I don't know if they were actually used by the US.

Also for my money nothing beats the XA-14/A-18 for sleek twins.

The US used a several squadrons of Spitfires in Europe and the Mediterranean, there was one reconnaissance squadron that operated RAF recce Spitfires until their P-38s showed up, while the others were either "Eagle" pilots transferred to the AAF, or squadrons that had their Airacobras replaced because the RAF considered it unsuitable for the ETO/MTO.

Another small squadron was formed in 1944 by the US Navy for D-Day, consisting of the observer pilots off of BBs and CAs that were taken off the ships and retrained on Royal Navy Spitfires, since the float planes couldn't survive against German aircraft and it took less time to fly to and from England than to launch and recover the float planes.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Looks like Germany turfed the F-35 from their Tornado replacement competition.

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/social-democrats-put-brakes-german-fighter-jet-replacement-171816106--business.html

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Yeah they’re buying more Typhoons. The F-18 has no shot, they just need something to make it look like it’s competitive and so the Typhoon looks like it has operational strengths and it’s not entirely political.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 1, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

So who's still committed to buying F-35s at this point? The USA, the UK, and like...Australia maybe? It seems like basically everyone else has backed out.

e: huh, there's way more than I expected. Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Israel, Japan...welp

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 1, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Honestly the number has gone up, not down. Japan/Israel have both increased their buys and pretty much every NATO F-16 user is getting some now. For the most part the program did turn a corner, the CPFH is still high and it’s still got some poo poo to solve but it’s in a lot better place than it was say 5 years ago.

AFAIK the latest lot buy was only 89.2 million, that’s only like 15-20% more than a new build F-16.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

So who's still committed to buying F-35s at this point? The USA, the UK, and like...Australia maybe? It seems like basically everyone else has backed out.

e: huh, there's way more than I expected. Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Israel, Japan...welp

And by "committed to", we're talking "have received" Isreal, Netherlands, and UK are already doing photo-shoots.

Looking forward to the Netherlands Demo unit in a few years.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Mazz posted:

Honestly the number has gone up, not down. Japan/Israel have both increased their buys and pretty much every NATO F-16 user is getting some now. For the most part the program did turn a corner, the CPFH is still high and it’s still got some poo poo to solve but it’s in a lot better place than it was say 5 years ago.

AFAIK the latest lot buy was only 89.2 million, that’s only like 15-20% more than a new build F-16.
As a side, is the F16 still being produced for the USAF? I suspect there are still some for export but I would think that's winding down?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

slidebite posted:

As a side, is the F16 still being produced for the USAF? I suspect there are still some for export but I would think that's winding down?

Thy haven’t bought/built any in at least 10-15 years. There’s a decent chance the more recent ones get SLEP’d to make up for F-35 delays/costs.

EDIT: On a side note, if they do SLEP some they’re dumb if they don’t put the CFTs on the Block 50/52s. I know people hate the way they look but from what I’ve read they’re so much better than slinging drop tanks all the time; they’re like a 50% increase in fuel for very little drag increase comparatively. Also those later ones are already configured to take them.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 1, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

slidebite posted:

Not for the USAF, Iraq and Bahrain are the current customers according to wikipedia.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

slidebite posted:

Block 70/72 my friend.

https://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/f-16v-viper-fighting-falcon-multi-role-fighter/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

slidebite posted:

The US F-16 line is dead, but for export it keeps hanging on, barely. Lockmart is proposing moving the line to India in a bid to sell up to 200 F-16s to India.