Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

patonthebach posted:

I don't know why the die hard commies areally defending this fact gently caress when he runs the country more like saddam than castro

Maybe because they aren't posting from a time bubble suspended in 2002 and know what effects the Iraq war had on the ME.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

patonthebach posted:

Hmm I wonder why that is. Half the country is starving but the ruling class is chunky? Odd.

Maybe the leaders are super corrupt and stealing all the food and resources from the citizens.

I don't know why the die hard commies areally defending this fact gently caress when he runs the country more like saddam than castro

we're quite on board with you on that. it's just that we view what happened to Iraq after Saddam as a nightmarish maelstrom of chaos, death, looting, ethnic cleansing, and theocratic revanchism, a suppurating chest wound in the middle east that will take decades to return to even the low standard of human rights under Saddam, a failure in every conceivable sense of the term, and you view it as Mission Accomplished.

bit of a values disconnect, imo.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

not a cult posted:

Maybe because they aren't posting from a time bubble suspended in 2002 and know what effects the Iraq war had on the ME.
It's a good thing nobody is invading Venezuela then.

Edit: Except Russia apparently.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
I suspect the actual difference btwn most of the pro/anti-maduros ppl in this thread aren't actually that great and mostly comes down to how much US support you think makes the opposition (tm) illegitimate.

I can also totally understand the PoV of Venezuelan goons CIA operatives itt that when your family has no food cuz the government is too corrupt literally any other alternative start looking really really good

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Typo posted:

how come he's so fat if his people are starving

The bird possesed by the spirit of Chavismo that follows Maduro around and tells him what to do makes hallacas non stop.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Maduro was inoculated with the :siren:cancer causing virus:siren: and has a giant tumor in his stomach

it is the only revolutionary possibility

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
did someone itt actually think the US assassinates people with cancer virus?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

No, just defending a news site that believes chavez was assassinated by constantly being dosed with radioactive materials over years by the CIA.

elgatofilo
Sep 17, 2007

For the modern, sophisticated cat.

Furia posted:

Maduro was inoculated with the :siren:cancer causing virus:siren: and has a giant tumor in his stomach

ChaseSP posted:

No, just defending a news site that believes chavez was assassinated by constantly being dosed with radioactive materials over years by the CIA.

I believe it was Maduro himself who said that the CIA infected Chavez with an oncovirus.

To be fair, colorectal cancer (what Chavez had) has been linked to HPV, but HPV is not a systemic virus, so infecting the colon would require direct physical inoculation of that area.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

GoLambo posted:

Whatever legitimacy the National Assembly may have previously had is gone now, they've clearly signed on full tilt with Elliot Hyper-Satan Abrams and made basically no effort to ensure they came out looking clean. A party interested in democratic process would never actually allow such a scum sucking ghoul to be declared their special envoy, like that wouldn't completely tank their domestic credibility to even be seen working with him, but they've made zero effort to walk that poo poo back even an inch. They're bought, it's over. You have all the information you need to be informed on the matter.

You can loathe Maduros fat incompetent rear end all you want but the National Assembly clearly has no remaining interest in democracy. Hope for another revolution or something but these idiots got on the podium with a megaphone to declare their intent to destroy democracy and siphon the countries remaining resources to the united states.

What evidence have you seen that the legitimacy of the National Assembly has tanked? How are you measuring "domestic credibility," and how did you come to the conclusion that it has tanked?

These statement's sound like they are based on empirical observations, and so we can have more content in the thread than just our opinions, it would be nice if you could share them.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

elgatofilo posted:

I believe it was Maduro himself who said that the CIA infected Chavez with an oncovirus.

To be fair, colorectal cancer (what Chavez had) has been linked to HPV, but HPV is not a systemic virus, so infecting the colon would require direct physical inoculation of that area.

Well, they have to smuggle the 200 tons of gold somehow

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Typo posted:

did someone itt actually think the US assassinates people with cancer virus?

Somebody honest to god said that the possibility of Chavez being assassinated was worth considering

Another said it’d be more surprising if that wasn’t the case

The argument descended to crimes committed with radioactive material because why the gently caress not

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

patonthebach posted:

A fat, stupid populist who eats bad stakes, has a bad haircut and with a hard on for authoritarianism.

Maduro is Trump for Tankies.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Cancer guns help fight the ECONOMIC WAR

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Furia posted:

Holy poo poo, are the CIA using DARK FORCES on Maduro just like they did to Chavez? But I thought that game wasn't canon anymore?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Holy poo poo, are the CIA using DARK FORCES on Maduro just like they did to Chavez? But I thought that game wasn't canon anymore?

It’s not but it’s still part of Venezuela Legends.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Who's gonna steal the Estrella de la Muerte plans?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Negrostrike posted:

Who's gonna steal the Estrella de la Muerte plans?

Los espias Bothaneses

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

ChaseSP posted:

what's the website?

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Venezuela Analysis, which was called “one of the few remaining impartial sources” or something euqally dumb.

The quote in question:

quote:

https://venezuelanalysis.com/analysis/11959

“Hugo Chavez defied the most powerful interests, and he refused to bow down….I believe there is a very strong possibility that President Chavez was assassinated.”
— Eva Golinger

[...]
If he were assassinated by some kind of exposure to high levels of radiation, or otherwise inoculated or infected by a cancer-causing virus, it would have been done by someone with close access to him, whom he trusted.
[...]

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
like from a biological-science perspective, is there such a thing as cancer causing virus?

I mean the first time I heard about it was literally alex jones but ppl are taking it serious?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently there are israeli mercs in Brazil:

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Typo posted:

like from a biological-science perspective, is there such a thing as cancer causing virus?

I mean the first time I heard about it was literally alex jones but ppl are taking it serious?

There are certain viruses that are linked to cancer, which are known as oncoviruses. As El Gatofilo (which I still wonder if is gatofilo or gatofiló ie. cat lover or cat edge) mentioned, HPV is linked to cancer for instance.

Now you may wonder why if Chavez had access to the best medicine that Venezuela Cuba can provide they did not detect the virus first and, I dunno, take preventative measures. We will ignore this question out of politeness.

Radiation, as the alternative vector proposed and as everyone knows, can cause cancer. Typically this takes a couple decades but people would like to have you believe that if you took a high enough dose of radiation you would get cancer in a week and, I dunno, not die of radiation poisoning in the process. I mentioned the Demon Core in one of my responses, and it’s worth a read if you want to get a feel for what I mean.

Yes, people are taking this seriously. No, I don’t know if they’re just being ironic anti vaxxers or straight up anti vaxxers

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Typo posted:

They exist...the 'oncoviruses' They're not common, but they're out there. The most famous is HPV, which has been linked to cervical cancer. There's a Herpes virus that's been linked to Karposi's Sarcoma, which is why you see Karposi's in AIDS patients. Their immune system is ruined and that makes them vulnerable. Hepatitis has been linked to liver cancer. There are some other viruses that have been linked to other types of cancer too.

Its silly to say that Chavez's cancer was caused by an artificial virus, of course. That's just Maduro being Maduro. But oncoviruses exist.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Typo posted:

There are at least a handful of cancer-causing viruses, of which HPV is probably the most well-known, which causes ovarian cancer. There is probably not such a virus for whatever Chavez had.

So while the odds are better that the CIA infected Chavez with cancer virus than the possibility that Cuba developed and used a hypersonic weapon to give concussions to US and Canadian embassy staff, it's still pretty close to zero. Unfortunately it's sufficiently higher than zero such that it can be believed by some people who are not suffering from debilitating mental disorders.

E: Well that was a lot of posts all at once. That his cancer was caused by radiation is an incredibly dumb and blatantly disprovable fact, although it would require exhuming his body.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

If you read the full interview rather than two little selected quotes there is a fair amount of skepticism given by the person making the claim. She says it seems like science fiction, but the repeated previous attempts on Chavez's life and circumstances after his death lead her to believe something happened.

She was also a close friend of Chavez, so it could just be grief loving with someone. I don't think an interview invalidates an entire website.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Presenting Nipples posted:

If you read the full interview rather than two little selected quotes there is a fair amount of skepticism given by the person making the claim. She says it seems like science fiction, but the repeated previous attempts on Chavez's life and circumstances after his death lead her to believe something happened.

She was also a close friend of Chavez, so it could just be grief loving with someone. I don't think an interview invalidates an entire website.

The article is titled “I believe Chavez was assassinated” and ir was not the first time they ran a story like that. Not to mention that it was a party line and Maduro launched an “investigation”

This is not counting the fact that yes, if they go ahead and run with that editorial line without any form of fact checking it does affect their credibility as a newsource. Same reason that Alex “gay frogs” Jones can be safely discounted without even having to look at his stupid politics

e: also that question was offered by VA, not by the interviewee

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

To be fair attempting assassination via cancer or irradiation is totally within character of the CIA, given the ludicrous plots that were a part of Operation Mongoose and all. What suspends belief more is the idea that they'd succeed with it.

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 30, 2019

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Apparently there are israeli mercs in Brazil:

The Israeli "mercs" are far away in Minas Gerais participating in the search of bodies from the dam collapse.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Furia posted:

The article is titled “I believe Chavez was assassinated” and ir was not the first time they ran a story like that. Not to mention that it was a party line and Maduro launched an “investigation”

This is not counting the fact that yes, if they go ahead and run with that editorial line without any form of fact checking it does affect their credibility as a newsource. Same reason that Alex “gay frogs” Jones can be safely discounted without even having to look at his stupid politics

e: also that question was offered by VA, not by the interviewee

What facts are you disputing in the article? She doesn't say it is a fact that Chavez was assassinated, but that she believes if happens based on the circumstances surrounding his death.

She says she believes the US has at least researched these types of weapons, there have been assassination attempts on Chavez in the past, and people close to Chavez fled to the US after his death. I don't really give enough of a poo poo to research each of these points on the merits as it would take hours but they seem plausible enough. It's not like the US hasn't attempted assassinations in the past.

To be clear I don't really give a poo poo about the article or the topic of the events surrounding Chavez murder. You are conveniently ignoring that most posters view Venezuela Analysis as biased, but all sources are biased. You are conflating one poster with everyone who disagrees with you. I literally just listened to the US press corp laughing when Pompeo said he would rather not bring up the CIA, as they have a bad history in Latin America. Does that discount all mainstream US press due to bias? At the very least, it seems useful to try to look at multiple sources and perspectives to better comprehend the situation in Venezuela.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

To be clear I don't really give a poo poo about the article or the topic of the events surrounding Chavez murder. You are conveniently ignoring that most posters view Venezuela Analysis as biased, but all sources are biased. You are conflating one poster with everyone who disagrees with you. I literally just listened to the US press corp laughing when Pompeo said he would rather not bring up the CIA, as they have a bad history in Latin America. Does that discount all mainstream US press due to bias? At the very least, it seems useful to try to look at multiple sources and perspectives to better comprehend the situation in Venezuela.

I disagree with the implication that Chavez was assassinated, which is what the article implies and what the interviewer leads the interviewee to saying by means of questioning. I could do a full read and explain the article on its own merits from the perspective of a Venezuelan before and after Chavez’ death (and illness, which was almost a state secret), but it would just get ignored and I’m not in the habit of wasting my time.

“All sources are biased” is a weak loving way of defending propaganda. I don’t see you quoting CIA.gov and interpreting it on it’s own merits. Is it that us Venezuelans are noble savages incapable of the sin of propaganda? Who knows.

No, I am not conflating “all posters who disagree with me”. I said “one poster said this dumb loving thing, another said this” implying a grand total of two people that went to die on this hill, which is accurate. You identify with people who hold dumb loving opinions that’s on you. If a website actively promotes a dumb way of thinking about a subject, it can safely be discarded as unreliable, specially if it leads a person in the process of grieving (your own words) to such an abhorrently erroneous line of thought. This is not a difficult puzzle to solve.

I don’t understand why you are brining up Pompeo (?) and the CIA thing. Are you implying I said the CIA does not have a bad history in LatAm? If so, maybe you should refrain from posting until you find me a post where I did. Do I believe the CIA can cause cancer on command to kill people? No.

Is this simple enough for you yet?

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Furia posted:

I disagree with the implication that Chavez was assassinated, which is what the article implies and what the interviewer leads the interviewee to saying by means of questioning. I could do a full read and explain the article on its own merits from the perspective of a Venezuelan before and after Chavez’ death (and illness, which was almost a state secret), but it would just get ignored and I’m not in the habit of wasting my time.

“All sources are biased” is a weak loving way of defending propaganda. I don’t see you quoting CIA.gov and interpreting it on it’s own merits. Is it that us Venezuelans are noble savages incapable of the sin of propaganda? Who knows.

No, I am not conflating “all posters who disagree with me”. I said “one poster said this dumb loving thing, another said this” implying a grand total of two people that went to die on this hill, which is accurate. You identify with people who hold dumb loving opinions that’s on you. If a website actively promotes a dumb way of thinking about a subject, it can safely be discarded as unreliable, specially if it leads a person in the process of grieving (your own words) to such an abhorrently erroneous line of thought. This is not a difficult puzzle to solve.

I don’t understand why you are brining up Pompeo (?) and the CIA thing. Are you implying I said the CIA does not have a bad history in LatAm? If so, maybe you should refrain from posting until you find me a post where I did. Do I believe the CIA can cause cancer on command to kill people? No.

Is this simple enough for you yet?

It actually is a pretty difficult puzzle to solve. Every website I have read has at one time or another "actively promotes a dumb way of thinking about a subject". I cited the US press because they constantly promote dumb ways of thinking, particularly on US foreign policy, indicative of them laughing at genocide. They essentially operate as a propaganda. What sources would you recommend?

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

It actually is a pretty difficult puzzle to solve. Every website I have read has at one time or another "actively promotes a dumb way of thinking about a subject". I cited the US press because they constantly promote dumb ways of thinking, particularly on US foreign policy, indicative of them laughing at genocide. They essentially operate as a propaganda. What sources would you recommend?

I see it wasn’t simple enough and there has been some miscommunication. Let me make it very explicit: if you need to ignore an author’s ramblings about reptilians to get to their policy opinions which are totally super good honest bro, maybe that source isn’t very reliable.

Regarding reporting you can always keep yourself informed through Venezuelans that you know in the country (lol, like you do) and NGOs that release reports on nutrition, mortality and politics. UNICEF is quite good in this regard with Venezuela.

In the small matter of “does the CIA have means to cause cancer on command to dispatch politically inconvenient people” I don’t know what to tell you other that your system and your teachers have failed you.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Venezuela analysis was literally originally funded (at least in part) by the Venezuela government and its chief editor is a Bolivian Revolutionary supporter. There is absolutely no way it should be taken to be an unbiased source in any of its "reporting"

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Furia posted:

I see it wasn’t simple enough and there has been some miscommunication. Let me make it very explicit: if you need to ignore an author’s ramblings about reptilians to get to their policy opinions which are totally super good honest bro, maybe that source isn’t very reliable.

Regarding reporting you can always keep yourself informed through Venezuelans that you know in the country (lol, like you do) and NGOs that release reports on nutrition, mortality and politics. UNICEF is quite good in this regard with Venezuela.

In the small matter of “does the CIA have means to cause cancer on command to dispatch politically inconvenient people” I don’t know what to tell you other that your system and your teachers have failed you.

So if my friend from Venezuela believes Chavez was assassinated, I should trust them. Got it.

Also, the CIA has done research on attempting to induce cancer. It's literally the first google search of 'CIA Cancer'. https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/document/cia-rdp80-00926a007500110008-1

Doing just 5 seconds of searching I found additional FOIA documents which cover other attempts to develop methods to induce cancer. Another quick google search from the Scientific American says it isn't impossible and there are cases where cancer has been transmitted accidentally https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/is-cancer-contagious/

I mean, I guess the Scientific American could also in the pockets of the Alex Jones VenzeulaAnalysis Troika of Disinformation, but that seems unlikely.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

So if my friend from Venezuela believes Chavez was assassinated, I should trust them. Got it.

Also, the CIA has done research on attempting to induce cancer. It's literally the first google search of 'CIA Cancer'. https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/document/cia-rdp80-00926a007500110008-1

Doing just 5 seconds of searching I found additional FOIA documents which cover other attempts to develop methods to induce cancer. Another quick google search from the Scientific American says it isn't impossible and there are cases where cancer has been transmitted accidentally https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/is-cancer-contagious/

I mean, I guess the Scientific American could also in the pockets of the Alex Jones VenzeulaAnalysis Troika of Disinformation, but that seems unlikely.

Well I guess Chavez was assassinated despite any proof towards it then.

Also, did you read that article?

quote:

Why hasn’t contagious cancer evolved in humans?
One of the key reasons is our genetic diversity. In a population where there is a lot of genetic diversity, we all have very different versions of the flags I’m talking about. So if a cell gets into us and has a different combination of flags, our immune system will kill it.

e: Do you usually pull information out of the aether and then find articles to confirm your ideas? I want to know what your process is (not that I would take it into account as you do not seem very smart

Furia fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 30, 2019

elgatofilo
Sep 17, 2007

For the modern, sophisticated cat.

Saladman posted:

There are at least a handful of cancer-causing viruses, of which HPV is probably the most well-known, which causes ovarian cancer. There is probably not such a virus for whatever Chavez had.

So while the odds are better that the CIA infected Chavez with cancer virus than the possibility that Cuba developed and used a hypersonic weapon to give concussions to US and Canadian embassy staff, it's still pretty close to zero. Unfortunately it's sufficiently higher than zero such that it can be believed by some people who are not suffering from debilitating mental disorders.

E: Well that was a lot of posts all at once. That his cancer was caused by radiation is an incredibly dumb and blatantly disprovable fact, although it would require exhuming his body.

We simply don't know enough about oncogenes and oncoviruses to deliberately engineer one that would fool-proof give someone cancer. You could potentially engineer one that gave someone a fulminant viremia or some kind of lethal auto-immune reaction, but engineering oncoviruses is in the realm of science fiction at the moment.

HPV is known to cause colorectal cancer because it's a virus that essentially causes small tumors (warts) to grow and the way it inserts itself into the host genome has the potential to overwrite antioncogenes.

That being said, obesity, a sedentary lifestyle, and a diet high in red meats (all things Chavez had, and apparently Maduro as well) have effect sizes orders of magnitude larger than any virus in there cancer-causing effects. If the CIA wanted to give Chavez cancer, they could have just sent him a lifetime membership to Applebee's and that would have been much more effective than any sci-fi oncovirus.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Good to see this thread went to the tankies territory of "cia caused chavez cancer" and "anyone else is worse than maduro"

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Furia posted:

Well I guess Chavez was assassinated despite any proof towards it then.

Also, did you read that article?

quote:

Would it be possible to induce cancer in someone else—not by giving the person cancer but by exposing him or her to something that causes cancer?
I suppose it's possible. We know that viruses can cause cancer, for instance. If you could make sure that a cancer-causing virus infected a person, he or she could develop cancer. The same would be true with radiation, asbestos or other carcinogens.

I just can't imagine someone deliberately giving someone else cancer . What a horrible thing to have happen! It had never occurred to me before I had this conversation. But I suppose people have an amazing capacity to do horrible things to each other. I couldn't say it was impossible, but I'd like to think it is highly unlikely.

It isn't even clear if the author thinks it is unlikely based on the science or based on her own moral judgement. It seems more like it is the latter. I'm sure the CIA is of the moral character to not attempt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

You are conveniently ignoring that most posters view Venezuela Analysis as biased, but all sources are biased.

"Bias" isn't the problem, so much as when "biased" crosses the line into "dishonest."