Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Everyone who bought STRAFE hoping it would be a retro shooter was disappointed, and people who wanted it to be good at what it actually is were also disappointed. Major case of Dead Islanditis where the trailer is the only worthwhile part of the game.

I've said it before but it really amused me how STRAFE's core defenders were adamant that it was "completely clear" what kind of game STRAFE was supposed to be from the start. I mean, I ended up liking the game alright, but the marketing materials for that game were definitely misleading--at least to ordinary observers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've said it before but it really amused me how STRAFE's core defenders were adamant that it was "completely clear" what kind of game STRAFE was supposed to be from the start. I mean, I ended up liking the game alright, but the marketing materials for that game were definitely misleading--at least to ordinary observers.

Aesthetically it does not even look or sound like the game that it is.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Im late on this but this is the correct take

Ive come back to daikatana 5 times at this point, at first i thought it was just some bizarre drive to relive the trauma of my first time through. but after thinking about it I think what keeps bringing me back to it is the fact that its the product of such fevered imagination.

Its very flawed, its insane, but its also insanely imaginative and ambitious.

It has the same sort of magic that like The Room or Neil Breen movies have. it's a major case of someone's reach exceeding their grasp. hundreds of games have failed in very boring ways, but daikatana has failed in wild and amazing ways.

With the patch and the allies turned off it plays like the most insane quake 2 mod ever devised. If you ever played the U4E mod for UT99, with all the insane weapons and ideas, thats basically what daikatana is.

There are 4 episodes, each with their own unique set of weapons and enemies. Which is just loving insane. and its not like each episode just has 4 weapons (like Hexen), each episode has a full 7 or 8 weapon roster.

they came up with 4 5 6 7 different ways of rocket jumping, and they all handle differently. Episode 1 has the shotcycler (a shotgun that MANDATORIALLY fires a belt of six shells with each trigger pull) that you can levitate with, the sidewinder rocket launcher (which shoots 2 rockets in a spiral pattern), AND the base weapon (the ion blaster), which you can shoot at the floor so the projectile ricochets and hits you in the taint to bounce you in the air. Episode 2 has the fuckin hammer of hades, a hammer that you insanely slowly lift up with a door creaking sound, that then hits the ground so hard it hurts you and throws you in the air. Episode 2 also has the poseidon trident, which shoots out its tips as rockets and uses 6 foot tall statues of poseidon as ammo. Episode 3 has the giant ballista that shoots a tree log (the ammo pickup is called ballista logs) at the ground to propel you in the air. Episode 4 has the kineticore, which shoots bursts of bouncy ice balls (???) that are somehow kinetic and fire you in the air and also kill you.

almost all the weapons kill you, and unlike most games explosive splash damage is the LEAST exciting way to commit suicide.

The C4 vitiligo shoots out bricks of c4 that explode on proximity triggers, and have such a large explosion that you will kill yourself in the tight corridors of episode 1. The ion blaster kills you if you fire it underwater, in the only episode with major swimming segments.

the hades door creaking hammer will kill you. the eye of zeus, if you fire it and no enemies are around, will kill you. the staff of nharre the necromancer traces a badass pentagram on the screen to summon a demon, which will kill you if no enemies are around.

the kineticore fires bouncy projectiles in bursts of 3, that bounce around at insane speed and last forever and will kill you. the metamaser is like a robot version of the snark from half life 1, but when you fire it instead of biting you it causes a sudden pink floyd laser light show, which kills you.

i would need sixty more posts to detail every little bit of insanity in the level and enemy design, but it's all engaging and compelling. it isn't boring.

i even tried to play the game with the allies on, but even with the EXTENSIVE improvements to the vanilla allies that the patch makes, they have pathing issues still that can gently caress up your run of a level when Superfly Johnson (Excellent Genitals in the japanese translation) gets stuck on a ladder in the cryo computer lab.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I'm not quite interested enough to play it right now, but are there any good LPs of patched allyless Daikatana out there?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I'm not quite interested enough to play it right now, but are there any good LPs of patched allyless Daikatana out there?

I wonder as well, because I never got further than the second act*. The game suddenly has these connected levels like Quake 2 and I promptly got stuck somewhere. Back then video streaming still was ***buffering*** RealPlayer. GameFAQs and *scrapes throat* PLANETDAIKATANA didn't have detailed walkthroughs either. You could gauge how loathed this game was by the absence of information.

*I could have used cheats to teleport to the next level, but then my Hanzo steel katana would have been reset to zero. I could have then used cheats to fix that, but I really just hit a breaking point and gave up on the game.

SteelReserve
May 12, 2018

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I mainly couldn't get into STRAFE because it had so many problems that prevented me from actually playing the game. I kinda like the idea of a procedurally generated FPS, but... we already have Doom 2 with OBLIGE. (And Freedoom, which while not perfect, is almost feature complete these days, if you exclude Final Doom compatibility.)

I think Spelunky (while not an FPS) was one of the very few games that did procedural generation right.

edit: One of the things that makes DUSK more challenging than it really is for me is that I'm expecting it to be more complex than it actually is. I sometimes find myself exploring way too much when the easiest way out of a map is right in front of me.

SteelReserve fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jan 30, 2019

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

you can shoot at the floor so the projectile ricochets and hits you in the taint to bounce you in the air.

Another great FPS breakdown, dude. I haven't been this excited about playing Daikatana since I was driving to the EB Games to pick up my pre-order.

And regarding Strafe: they quite clearly focused on the wrong things during development to the detriment of the game's depth and longevity.

The game is packed to the gills with all kinds of hard to find secrets and references that have entire sequences built for them, but none of your upgradable stats are labeled, nor are the buttons on the recycle station, or the kiosks and there's less than 20 of those total.

Their teaser video was supposed to make us think they were bringing back id's glory days personally, but they didn't get around to assigning the weapons to number keys until over a year after release.

I still think that it feels good to play; the movement and jumping are great. Some of the weapons feel pretty drat meaty and the enemies dismember and ragdoll real good.

The part of Strafe that I enjoy the most is the tension of always exploring unknown levels with unknown enemies and no quicksave. The early levels are always very engaging to me as I slowly build momentum with the starter gun and empty pockets. Often, things go suddenly very wrong and it feels awesome to hang on to your last HP and claw your way back into steamrolling the later levels.

I always find some tension with Strafe and I can't ever totally relax my guard, and that comes entirely from it being designed as a procedural roguelite shooter and not as an episodic shooter. But it's never a good roguelite, even if it is a ~pretty good~ shooter, so Strafe will always feel shallow and short, even though they crammed it full of too many secrets for one person to ever find.

The devs have improved and polished the core experience since release, without expanding it. I think that Strafe is well worth the $5 it goes on sale for all the time. It's fun.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Daikatana Gameboy RPG is actually a surprisingly good video game.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mordja posted:

Finally beat REKKR, after a lot of short bursts over a long period of time. It's very well made but I don't like it much. It's difficulty is just overtuned, and I'm no Doom maestro, but still. Essentially, the enemies are all stronger than Doom's enemies and the weapons are all weaker than Doom's weapons. They're also not that satisfying to use either. On top of that, supplies are too scarce and some of the maps, while impressive, are too complex for their own good. A hell of an achievement, nonetheless, and I'm glad I played it, if only for posterity's sake.

It’s to the point where if I try to play it again, I’m going to mod it to cut the enemy damage.

The maps I’ve played are cool. The number of enemies are cool. The time it takes to kill one enemy is not that cool, and the fact enemies take a third of your health per hit is very not cool.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

rekkr's biggest flaw definitely is that it's a bit overtuned. a good example is the tree creatures that seem to have almost twice as much health as they need to at times.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Copper Vein posted:

The whole Painkiller series is $14 on Steam this week.

I only ever had occasional dalliances with Painkiller, so I had to read some webpages and watch some youtubes to get an idea of how the series had evolved, and apparently it didn't? It looks like the same game keep getting made every 2-4 years by different teams, usually on the same engine?

If foorteen bux seems like too much of an ask for a middling series, each individual game is discounted to about $3 so you can just get the good ones and remember to always check the wikis for fixies.

Honestly Painkiller isn't very good. It's really an artifact of the early 2000s where everyone managed to delude themselves into thinking that it and Serious Sam where what classic shooters were like. Painkiller hasn't aged well especially now that there are titles like Dusk and Ion Maiden which actually do incorporate old FPS ideas and aren't boring as hell.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Whenever I read about Daikatana it sounds like various video game ideas I was convinced I was totally gonna make when I was 14.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah I try not to hold grudges over that kind of stuff, but I'm still frustrated that was their excuse. We have a shooter! It's retro! Here's retro marketing stuff for our shooter about shooting hordes of enemies! Wait you thought it would be a retro shooter? You seem very confused about what this game was supposed to be.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Pretty sure all the roguelike-y stuff was elaborated upon in both the original Kickstarter page and the various store pages right off the bat. Though to be fair, it was in text form, and what kind of un-American loving idiot reads nowadays?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

SteelReserve posted:

I kinda like the idea of a procedurally generated FPS, but... we already have Doom 2 with OBLIGE.

I've never understood this logic. That's like saying, I like the idea of a sci-fi movie but we already have The Matrix.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jordan7hm posted:

It’s to the point where if I try to play it again, I’m going to mod it to cut the enemy damage.

The maps I’ve played are cool. The number of enemies are cool. The time it takes to kill one enemy is not that cool, and the fact enemies take a third of your health per hit is very not cool.

Yeah, having zero armor is basically a death sentence.

SteelReserve
May 12, 2018

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I've never understood this logic. That's like saying, I like the idea of a sci-fi movie but we already have The Matrix.

Did The Matrix need sequels?

Does The Matrix even have sequels?

I think I've made my point. :smug:

Seriously though, I like the idea of alternatives being available, but if they aren't equal to or better than what they are trying to emulate, they will eventually be forgotten, or remembered in a bad way. For example, compare Terminator 1-2 to Terminator 3-5.

SteelReserve fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 30, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

SteelReserve posted:

Did The Matrix need sequels?

Does The Matrix even have sequels?

I think I've made my point. :smug:

Seriously though, I like the idea of alternatives being available, but if they aren't equal to or better than what they are trying to emulate, they will eventually be forgotten, or remembered in a bad way. For example, compare Terminator 1-2 to Terminator 3-5.

Yeah, this is a better example. It's not 'we already have sci-fi movies', but more 'we already have The Matrix... do we need another Matrix movie?'.

Emphatic no. Maybe 10-20 years down the road, someone will remake it or something, but that definitely doesn't need to happen any time soon.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

So what we really need is a procedurally generated, roguelike movie.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

These are very good points but in the spirit of full disclosure I should probably reveal to you that Matrix 2 is my favorite Matrix.

SteelReserve
May 12, 2018

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I would pay for that.

Imagine a movie that was different every time you watched it. It might be good, it might be bad, but it WILL be different every time.

Or imagine a fighting movie where the characters chose different fighting styles each time. A 90 minute movie could end up being a 12 minute movie if the hero picked the wrong method of fighting, or if the bullets or lasers accidentally hit the damsel in distress and/or the hero.

Or what if in Episode 4, Ben Kenobi cut down Darth Vader instead of things being as they are?

Or what about watching Terminator 2... without John Connor?

It would completely change the moviemaking process.

SteelReserve fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 30, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

These are very good points but in the spirit of full disclosure I should probably reveal to you that Matrix 2 is my favorite Matrix.

My friend, you are not alone.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Matrix 2 is a legit good action movie

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Weird animated algorithm-driven kids playlists on youtube might qualify.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Best thing The Matrix did was to inspire a bunch of HL and even Max Payne mods (I do like The Matrix 1 and 2 too).

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Man I love Max Payne mods because they are almost always some adorable early 2000s black trenchcoat/anime stuff and almost always play like poo poo but is always fun to see in motion.

Also I remember an Equilibrium Max Payne mod. That was fun.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Blade Mod where you do flips instead of bullet time dives and have a pistol that sets people on fire is the best Max Payne mod

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQFev5gxTuQ&t=66s

It also played an extremely loud techno song any time you did anything

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 30, 2019

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

CJacobs posted:

New Order - “Confusion (Pump Panel Reconstruction Mix)”, as heard in the first Blade movie.

If you are not that familiar with New Order be sure to listen to the original version of that song. It is mind-blowing how different it is (also a pretty terrible New Order song lol).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 30, 2019

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I clicked that video and without even looking over my friend says, "Are you listening to the Blade soundtrack?" Evidently I need more Blade in my life.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The bummer about Strafe is that not only is it bad at being a retro-stlye FPS (whatever that's supposed to mean), it's also bad at being a roguelite. The game is just bad.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

The Kins posted:

Pretty sure all the roguelike-y stuff was elaborated upon in both the original Kickstarter page and the various store pages right off the bat. Though to be fair, it was in text form, and what kind of un-American loving idiot reads nowadays?

They didn't make the rogue-lite elements a secret, but the complaints came around how it played and acted in the original release, where it felt like a mixture of Painkiller but with heavy recoil in the guns and none of the things meshed right, and the developers just complained to a bunch of outlets that people were just complaining it wasn't "old school."

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Mierenneuker posted:

New Order - “Confusion (Pump Panel Reconstruction Mix)”, as heard in the first Blade movie.

If you are not that familiar with New Order be sure to listen to the original version of that song. It is mind-blowing how different it is (also a pretty terrible New Order song lol).

i once checked out new order because of that song thinking they must be edm group

i was extremely disappointed

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Strafe made me motion sick in a way only 90s shooters sometimes did so they succeeded being retro in that way.

I'm not sure what it was. Maybe something to do with the helmet though I played around with options and nothing seemed to help.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Aren't Daikatana apologists just the videogame equivalent of Prequel defenders?

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

CJacobs posted:

The Blade Mod where you do flips instead of bullet time dives and have a pistol that sets people on fire is the best Max Payne mod

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQFev5gxTuQ&t=66s

Oh jesus I almost died laughing at this video.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Now that everyone who remembers Daikatana is an adult, the hype wore off a long time ago, and we've finished laughing at the infamous advertisement, it's not too surprising if a reevaluation ends up being a bit kinder to it than someone's opinions at release.

SteelReserve
May 12, 2018

ponzicar posted:

Now that everyone who remembers Daikatana is an adult, the hype wore off a long time ago, and we've finished laughing at the infamous advertisement, it's not too surprising if a reevaluation ends up being a bit kinder to it than someone's opinions at release.

Even if that were the case, why would that even matter?

Buyers' remorse?

We've all had those feelings. Since I started doing the FPS thing back in the 90's, I've invested in a TON of FPS games, and a lot of them sucked. I admit this, and I'm OK with it.

Trying to find a way to cope with making a bad decision is worse than just admitting that you made a bad decision. Learn from your mistake and move on with your life.

Buying Dusk was a good decision.

SteelReserve fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 30, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i mean, maybe... and i know this may be a radical idea...they actually did enjoy playing it after the patch and tweak?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't think it's weird for people to say that a game is pretty alright when some of the more questionable design decisions are disabled. god knows the modded/patched daikatana is probably on the same level as some of the weird bullshit people cling to in this thread due to nostalgia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

SteelReserve posted:

Even if that were the case, why would that even matter?

Buyers' remorse?

We've all had those feelings. Since I started doing the FPS thing back in the 90's, I've invested in a TON of FPS games, and a lot of them sucked. I admit this, and I'm OK with it.

Trying to find a way to cope with making a bad decision is worse than just admitting that you made a bad decision. Learn from your mistake and move on with your life.

Buying Dusk was a good decision.

No, that's not even close to what I was saying. I'm saying that an adult 19 years later is going to have a different and slightly softer perspective than a teenager in the year 2000 who just realized that he wasted sixty bucks on a turd, after getting hopped up on all the hype. I mean, maybe that's not everyone. Maybe some people still shout "You'll never make me your bitch, John Romero!" out the window every night as they throw darts at their Superfly dartboard.

Nobody's saying that the game is actually good now.