Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Is there some trick to avoiding frozen pulse or is it just supposed to one shot you every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

bamhand posted:

Is there some trick to avoiding frozen pulse or is it just supposed to one shot you every time.
let it reach you and it becomes stationary. once stationary you have .3-.5 seconds (edit: I don't know the exact time before the first pulse, but it's not very long) to use some movement ability to get away before the pulse kills you. So, a little bit of timing involved but nothing super difficult.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I've never been able to dash our before it goes off. It either hits me or I dash out and it keeps following.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

I don't think Frozen Pulse has ever killed me, but Arcane enchants are my goddamn bane. Now I just immediately book it the other direction for a second when I see Arcane on a mob so that I can re-approach the fight with death ray placement in mind.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

bamhand posted:

I've never been able to dash our before it goes off. It either hits me or I dash out and it keeps following.
Do you play with a lot of latency? I've never had trouble dashing/vaulting/blinking/etc out of it. Not sure of a good way to practice it.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
My bar is always green but it always feels laggy. I press buttons and they don't go off in time.

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
the honest to god thing that kills me 100x more than anything else is fat gently caress exploders on darkish maps where I can't quite make out their radius (something about the timing too), OR the occasional awful ranged attack that gets lost in visual noise.

and sometimes a pool that appears beneath me before my brain turns on.

however, I accept it as a necessary casualty given my own ability to part literal waves of smooth demon corpses with a right click.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

So before I ruin this, I am playing Inna WoL according to this guide, now that would suggest I have to reroll the Dexterity to Cooldown Reduction. Is that the right thing to do?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Tahirovic posted:

So before I ruin this, I am playing Inna WoL according to this guide, now that would suggest I have to reroll the Dexterity to Cooldown Reduction. Is that the right thing to do?

I really would not

Like yeah the CD reduction is good but the whole thing with a Primal is 1000 dex is a lot of DEX for a single slot, feels like it would be much easier to get the CD reduction somewhere else

Hauki posted:

hey, I’ve got half a dozen of those but I can’t find a fist of rear end to rack or a lions claw at all

By the time I got the first required unique for the starter set I already had a full Sunwuko set.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Fayez Butts posted:

The fonts on the pc version are exactly the same as on the console version. It’s Helvetica, a perfectly fine font

Not the item name and DPS.

And the other information is much more squished together on console (I think because of font size, again for readability but it looks bad imho)

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Man Necromancer got boring quick.

This is my take as well. I have a poorly geared Necro with 5 pieces of Pestilence, playing the Icy Veins build, and it just feels poo poo. The only time its fun is when I pop the Land of the Dead 2-min CD.

I tried the Corpse Armour build when I only had 3 pieces of Inarius and even that felt more fun.

What Necro builds are actually enjoyable?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Corpse Explosion and Blood Mages are fun, they just don't compete with the two-minute miracle Lance builds at upper GR.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I made a Necromancer to play around with summons and then I realized that Witch Doctors might be better for that.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Rathma mage is the only fun Necro build imo, but it is very fun. The top tier builds of Necro are literally just running around until your 2 min cooldown is up.

Rathma mage is pet based.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Rathma plus jesseth is great for a pet build.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Demon Hunter seasonal leaderboards look very tight this season, with all 3 major builds represented in the Top 10 and only 10 levels separating the first 1,000 clears. I think I've discovered that with native RoRG being a thing, you wanna rune Overpenetration for Impale over Ricochet because you can now wear Aquila and use Frostburn in that cube slot, and there are no real competitive armor effects for Lightning. This also opens up wearing APDs if you want the extra tankiness.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

kaesarsosei posted:

This is my take as well. I have a poorly geared Necro with 5 pieces of Pestilence, playing the Icy Veins build, and it just feels poo poo. The only time its fun is when I pop the Land of the Dead 2-min CD.

I tried the Corpse Armour build when I only had 3 pieces of Inarius and even that felt more fun.

What Necro builds are actually enjoyable?

Rathma skeleton mage and inarius t13 speedfarm tornado builds are lots of fun.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Snacksmaniac posted:

Rathma plus jesseth is great for a pet build.

It's my favorite option. There was a giant clusterfuck of a trags / mages build once on challenge rift that I thought could make for a fun speed-farm build if could get the right gear, but I never bothered looking up. All I remember was that the bulk of the damage was coming from summoning mages that would fill the screen with red blasts everywhere. It looked awesome.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

stuxracer posted:

I don’t think the damage type on weapons matter at all.

Really? They don't benefit from +elemental% damage on gear?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Really? They don't benefit from +elemental% damage on gear?

It's overwritten by the element of the skill you use. Unless you're using your regular default attack for some reason.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

bamhand posted:

It's overwritten by the element of the skill you use. Unless you're using your regular default attack for some reason.

Oh, that makes sense. Guess I always assumed the element type of your weapon factored into every little thing.

I've gotten super lucky with primals this season and found 3 so far on my Barb, 2 of which I can actually use. That was with IK HotA and I'm a damage powerhouse, but I can't get much beyond GR70 given that I haven't seen a single Band of Might drop so I pop like a ripe grape if a mob looks at me funny.

I switched to Leapquake last night for shits and giggles and while I'm doing far less damage, it's also a silly amount of fun jumping all over the place like a madman.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Back in ye olden days of Italian Hell the only weapon element that did anything unique was Cold, which slowed enemies and was capped at a lower max range to compensate. Most classes wanted their weapon rolls to have black (elementless) values. I think Cold might still add a slowing effect to normal attacks, but snares are so ubiquitous in today's D3 that it hardly matters. I think literally the only thing weapon element interacts with in the game anymore are proccing Tal meteors.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

My free primal (I know, I'm slow) was an Exarian :( at least I've unlocked the chance to be disappointed in the future as well.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

big cummers ONLY posted:

My free primal (I know, I'm slow) was an Exarian :( at least I've unlocked the chance to be disappointed in the future as well.

I've gotten two primal Windforces as a DH. They are sitting in my stash so I can be disappointed every time I open it.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
I've been lurking in this thread since the start of season 16, playing on my Switch. I read the discussion about the Vyr's Archon build being kludgy and not a good starter option which is what I was running from Haedrig's. I have an ancient Deathwish so I made some changes and migrated to a Tal Rasha Meteor build. I went from being stuck on GR40 to GR72 (and counting) in little over a day! My damage output is still good but survivability is starting to become an issue. I finished GR72 this morning with 6:34 to spare. I think my next milestone upgrade is going to be the Unity engine. I have one ring and the templar relic that makes him invincible. After that it's just a matter of re-rolling things to get ancients! Thanks thread for nudging me to switch things up! I'm not missing Path of Exile at all right now between the fun of pushing my Wizard farther and the portability of the Switch.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

exquisite tea posted:

Back in ye olden days of Italian Hell the only weapon element that did anything unique was Cold, which slowed enemies and was capped at a lower max range to compensate. Most classes wanted their weapon rolls to have black (elementless) values. I think Cold might still add a slowing effect to normal attacks, but snares are so ubiquitous in today's D3 that it hardly matters. I think literally the only thing weapon element interacts with in the game anymore are proccing Tal meteors.

so why did they have (non-ice) elemental weapons at all?

if they really don't matter anymore, i think they should remove them. one of the things that confused me the first time i played. D3 is usually good about filing off extraneous mechanics, even if a bunch of vestigial stuff remains.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

At some point in D3's development all elemental weapon damage was to impart some unique on-hit effect, but this was cut for whatever reason. Suffice to say there were a lot of problems with D3's early itemization, and even when the entire system was overhauled in RoS, weapon elements were left untouched. Probably because it no longer made sense for a game where even the most basic spammable attacks had a corresponding element.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Ben Nerevarine posted:

but I can't get much beyond GR70 given that I haven't seen a single Band of Might drop so I pop like a ripe grape if a mob looks at me funny.

Gamble on a level 1 barb alt then cube it

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Snacksmaniac posted:

Yeah. Takes 1k shards or less. It's the first thing you should do at 70.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 30, 2019

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Snacksmaniac posted:

Khorne posted:

Yeah. Takes under 1k shards or less. It's the first thing you should do at 70.

Good to know, thanks!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Rinkles posted:

a bunch of vestigial stuff remains.

This could be the game's subtitle, to be honest. Season 16 and I can accidentally buy the level 60 Hellfire Ring recipe that uses non-existent ingredients.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This could be the game's subtitle, to be honest. Season 16 and I can accidentally buy the level 60 Hellfire Ring recipe that uses non-existent ingredients.
Could the machines for the old portals still be dropping for people without the expansions or for killing wardens at 60?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

big cummers ONLY posted:

I picked wizard to start, I'm only playing while on public transit on a Switch, and I only just knocked out Ch.4 on Monday. I'll probably see the welfare primal in March.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Tahirovic posted:

Definitely not, you want to reroll crit damage -> CDR or Area Damage, kind of personal preference. Area Damage will be better for, well, damage or pushing grifts, CDR is better if you don't have effectively 100 percent epiphany uptime with Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac.

There's a small chance on your setup 10% damage is better than either of those but I highly doubt it, but it kind of depends on the rest of your gear layout. Either way you definitely want to roll of Critical Hit Damage, that's less than you get on a ring or gloves.

I'd probably go CDR to start, and then you can always switch it to Area Damage when you are trying to push higher grifts.

Kaustik
Jun 1, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I literally got an item called Griswald's Scribblings that says explicitly in the description, "This used to be used for crafting but can now be sold instead."

Just lol blizzard can't remove a crafting plan from a drop table.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I got one of those for the first time in almost five years.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I got an Ancestor's Grace for the first time, after 4 seasons of playing Hardcore to 800PP

Spacely
Mar 21, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Demon Hunter seasonal leaderboards look very tight this season, with all 3 major builds represented in the Top 10 and only 10 levels separating the first 1,000 clears. I think I've discovered that with native RoRG being a thing, you wanna rune Overpenetration for Impale over Ricochet because you can now wear Aquila and use Frostburn in that cube slot, and there are no real competitive armor effects for Lightning. This also opens up wearing APDs if you want the extra tankiness.

What level did UE clear? I've not seen that.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I actually bought that recipe intentionally for the "5 jewelcrafter recipes" season journey step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

Incoherence posted:

I actually bought that recipe intentionally for the "5 jewelcrafter recipes" season journey step.
here i am running bounties like an idiot. Something to keep in mind.