Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sir Kodiak posted:

They were the advertising firm for the Fyre Festival, a fraudulent music festival, which just had two documentaries released on streaming (Hulu and Netflix). They helped produce the Netflix doc, which does some work to try to exonerate them from what seem like credible charges that they were either in on the scam or, at least, should have known they were selling lies. So them then complaining that they didn't get paid in full by a seeming co-conspirator is tangentially streaming-related schadenfreude, on top of the general thing of people viewing them as content thieves.

The doc producers certainly let the various contractors lay out their ignorance defense, and someone in the film claimed McFarland is some sort of compartmentalization savant, but the film also emphasizes how there were plenty of people on staff who communicated their misgivings to people in other divisions and got canned for it, and there were also plenty of public, independent sources of information detailing the fraud and failures basically from the beginning of the enterprise, so the culpability of minor players is treated fairly evenhandedly. Also, the final revelations about how indebted these contractors were is damning - two thirds of their pay was being withheld until after the event so they were basically looking the other way in regards to the fraud and putting in their own money out of desperation, victims of the sunk cost fallacy and compromised ethics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

i too enjoyed ep 1 of kingdom. i just worry that it is not a miniseries and could become a multi season borefest like the walking dead.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I do wonder how really threatening their version of zombies are, overall. 2:Seems like she could've nipped the problem in the bud if she had burned down the infirmary instead of tried to cure them.

Edit: Oh, a gun. What year does this take place?

Lycus fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 29, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
"You" is a weird show. Whenever I watch an episode, I'm cringing a lot because of the weirdness of whatever situation that guy creates, but I kinda want to keep watching because of how the story ends.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Oh, wow, Polar really is poo poo

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

K. Waste posted:

Jonas Åkerlund loving sucks rear end.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Kingdom: I really hate seasons ending with big cliffhangers.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 30, 2019

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Lycus posted:

I read this spoiler and now I'm definitely not going to watch this show. loving cliffhangers all the time, goddamn.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

K. Waste posted:

Well, heck. Dangit

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Lycus posted:

Counterpoint: The Good Place is extremely good and uses cliffhangers powerfully.

It's also on topic because it's on Netflix for non-Americans. Watch The Good Place y'all.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I read this spoiler and now I'm definitely not going to watch this show. loving cliffhangers all the time, goddamn.

Yeah, it's pretty anti-climactic. It's fun if you like zombie shows but are sick of post-apoc, but waiting until S2 to binge isn't a bad idea.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

To be fair, I think Korean tv shows tend to have a cliffhanger every loving episode

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

SirSamVimes posted:

Counterpoint: The Good Place is extremely good and uses cliffhangers powerfully.

It's also on topic because it's on Netflix for non-Americans. Watch The Good Place y'all.

The Good Place uses cliffhangers extremely effectively. Each episode ends in a cliffhanger, but the seasons themselves don't-- they set up clearly what the stakes for the next season will be.

Also, yes, the Good Place is maybe the best sitcom ever put on network television, and you should watch it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Yeah, there's a really big difference between episode-ending cliffhangers and season-ending cliffhangers.

There's also a big difference between concluding the season's story and having a hook for the next story, and ending the season before the first story's climax (the latter happened here).

testifeye
Sep 24, 2004

maroon moon
I totally loved Black Earth Rising on Netflix. An eight episode mini series about personal and political entanglements in the Rwandan Genocide. Lots of great acting, with highlights by Michaela Coel and John Goodman.

testifeye fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 30, 2019

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Black Earth Rising: What is that accent? Is that guy supposed to be Quebecois?

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Teddybear posted:

Also, yes, the Good Place is maybe the best sitcom ever put on network television, and you should watch it.

i like when the "best sitcom ever put on network television" says things like "MOTHERFORKING SHIRT BALLS!"

now that's funny stuff. epic, too.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Thom and the Heads posted:

i like when the "best sitcom ever put on network television" says things like "MOTHERFORKING SHIRT BALLS!"

now that's funny stuff. epic, too.

And yet somehow got the phrase “blowing beefers while you’re down here boning us in the meathole” past the censors and out at 8:30pm? Impressive.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lycus posted:

Black Earth Rising: What is that accent? Is that guy supposed to be Quebecois?

Belgian, if I had to guess.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Haven't seen it, but if it's supposed to be a Walloon accent, then yes, it sounds way way worse than Quebecois.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I'm surprised at all the hate for Polar. It was a cheesy shoot em up movie with some silly performances. Have some beers while you watch!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

10 Beers posted:

I'm surprised at all the hate for Polar. It was a cheesy shoot em up movie with some silly performances. Have some beers while you watch!

Not enough shoot em up, it was more like here's a guy being executed, here's a gratuitous close-up of a woman's rear end, here's another guy being executed, here's a puppy being killed, one more brutal execution, ok fine here's Mads shooting some guys for a few minutes, movie over.

It was a slick looking, colorful film though, which I always appreciate.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Hate is too strong a word.

A better one is "boredom."

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Kingdom is a really fun take on the zombie genre, something I wasn't expecting in 2019

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I kinda liked Polar. It's yet another entry in the subgenre that Crank and Punisher: War Zone started, and I dig pretty much anything in that vein.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Polar was fine. Nothing special and I get how people could be bored but all the hate seems unwarranted.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I kinda liked Polar. It's yet another entry in the subgenre that Crank and Punisher: War Zone started, and I dig pretty much anything in that vein.

It is in no way insane enough to be in the same classification as Crank and Punisher: War Zone. It's generic John Wick with more titties and slapstick.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Is Mads actually the lead of Polar or is he only in it for like ten minutes? I sat through Charlie Countryman just for Mads, I figure anything will be a breeze after that.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The lead.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
He is 100% the lead.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Teddybear posted:

The Good Place uses cliffhangers extremely effectively. Each episode ends in a cliffhanger, but the seasons themselves don't-- they set up clearly what the stakes for the next season will be.

It’s on US Netflix too unless they took it down recently.

I really liked the first two seasons but I thought it totally ran out of steam in season 3.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1089950741064601600?s=19

Pleasing Shape
Jan 9, 2004

The Vitally Important Pelvic Thrust

Superrodan posted:

Man I just finished Kimmy Schmidt and it caught me off guard because I lost track of the episode count and thought I had one more... damnit.

Still, it was a pretty nice finale, even if it felt a bit rushed. I liked the Titus/Cats/Mikey/Jacqueline plotlines the bestwhich definitely caught me off guard.

I want a Tomothy spin-off

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I’m watching Slobby’s World and it’s something else. Like 11k for two pairs of Jordons? Bought by some dude who can’t keep his eyes open or mouth closed? In Arizona? This loving venture is largely bankrolled by the economic stupidity of nostalgic meth dealers.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

mysterious frankie posted:

I’m watching Slobby’s World and it’s something else. Like 11k for two pairs of Jordons? Bought by some dude who can’t keep his eyes open or mouth closed? In Arizona? This loving venture is largely bankrolled by the economic stupidity of nostalgic meth dealers.

Nostalgic meth dealers who want to be on TV.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Nostalgic meth dealers who want to be on TV.

Half the time when I’m looking down, doing some work, and I hear someone talking like Alien I look up to be confronted by a substitute English teacher looking dude wearing knock off hilfiger.

“Yo, like, Mrs. Kim peaced out this week to get her baby out of her, side saddle style cuz her hips too narrow, so I’ll be hangin wit y’all. We gonna be reading The Awakening and since I already read that poo poo when I was comin up at Rutgers i’m here to tell you it’s pretty dope but also pretty boring. And, like, sad too... shits complicated as a Coogi, for real tho.”

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I refuse to believe that any person who isn't an alien/robot imposter has ever referred to a c-section as "getting the baby out side saddle style".

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Also that's funny as hell and I'm going to try and use it if possible

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Gyges posted:

I refuse to believe that any person who isn't an alien/robot imposter has ever referred to a c-section as "getting the baby out side saddle style".

Every tree begins as a seed.

Field Mousepad posted:

Also that's funny as hell and I'm going to try and use it if possible

I rest my case, your honor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Edit: Wrong thread.

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 1, 2019