Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Metalshark posted:

Reading New X-Men again is also a great experience, though it cemented my X-Men love when I read it years ago. Plus, I'm having fun seeing Pixie's look change so much. Her rainbow wings were a statement!

I just about cried with joy when they announced the new complete collection trade. I'd been trying to get this series (at non-insane price) for EVER. All I ever managed to track down was Childhood's End vols 1 and 4 (which will be out in a second big-rear end trade later, "complete" my rear end).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

has there been an X team called the X-perts yet.

alternatively x-spurts

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

has there been an X team called the X-perts yet.

alternatively x-spurts

yeah, Jay and Miles :v:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

They'd have to pay Sega.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Age of X-Man essentially being Nate Grey's neuroses (he was born out of a test tube and has had difficult-at-best relationships with his 'blood' relatives, his first serious romantic relationship was with an evil clone of his 'mom', then whatever the gently caress Threnody was, etc) used to create a Utopia where everyone is born out of test tubes and no one is allowed to kiss or have sex or get married is actually more interesting than the past dozen alternate reality timelines at least.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So whats up with Kid Cable?

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Edge & Christian posted:

Age of X-Man essentially being Nate Grey's neuroses (he was born out of a test tube and has had difficult-at-best relationships with his 'blood' relatives, his first serious romantic relationship was with an evil clone of his 'mom', then whatever the gently caress Threnody was, etc) used to create a Utopia where everyone is born out of test tubes and no one is allowed to kiss or have sex or get married is actually more interesting than the past dozen alternate reality timelines at least.

So far, it's looking pretty good. The first issue was more of a tease than what I had expected, with a lot of varying implications and hints rather than much narrative movement, but I am enjoying the tone as well as the fact this is quite far from the original Age of Apocalypse in approach. Which was fine, back in the day, yet it's not exactly what I would be looking for in this age.

I'd argue it also feels significantly different from House of M too, despite whatever small degree of conceptual overlap one might have deduced from reading a preview summary. I don't know exactly how it'll all tie back to Uncanny at the moment, but I think this has the potential to at least hold up rather well in isolation.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

So whats up with Kid Cable?

The way I see it playing out is a role-reversal of the original Cable story, where now his former students are the ones teaching Cable to be a more rounded, empathetic person.

Also, even if I hadn't seen a solicit basically spoiling it, this week's issue of X-Force would already have all but outright said that Stryfe is back, baybeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

e: Also apparently X-Man didn't poof away all of the mutants because X-Force is still beboppin' around, they referenced it this week too.

Alaois fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 31, 2019

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Ponsonby Britt posted:

"Reed Richards had to build his own backyard rocket because Xavier and Magneto killed large swathes of NASA" is now my headcanon.

This is weeks back, but drat that's a good idea.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Reading through Blue and Red on Unlimited . . . I respect what they are trying to do even if I'm not really LOVING the books. Although man that Mojo crossover was so decompressed, I read the whole thing in the time it takes me to read one comic and it's not like it's fast to switch through two different books on Unlimited.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Rick posted:

Reading through Blue and Red on Unlimited . . . I respect what they are trying to do even if I'm not really LOVING the books. Although man that Mojo crossover was so decompressed, I read the whole thing in the time it takes me to read one comic and it's not like it's fast to switch through two different books on Unlimited.

This is what a lot of the worst books currently going feel like to me. An incredibly spare script pasted over six issues so it can be turned into an incredibly disappointing trade paperback one day.

I mean, it's at least faster to chug through bad decompressed comics than bad "classic" comics, where there's oodles of pointless, hollow narration that's just there to fill formalistic standards, but it's still not great.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Rick posted:

Blue and Red or Blue and Gold? Cause Red's the good one, and had like half as many issues as the other two got.
It occurs to me that Blue and Gold both bored me to such a degree that I never actually finished either of them and just accepted the status quo shift when I started Extermination or Uncanny, whichever of those lovely ones. I don't even remember the difference between the two, or if the former was supposed to finish before the latter started. Was Extermination all about Cable?

When was the last time the "main" X-Book was good? I think Bendis' All New + Uncanny started out okay but there wasn't really one moment it stopped being good.
But I mean the great thing about X-Men is there's (usually) so many books that there's always at least one good one going! Just as long as they keep X-23 and Mr & Mrs X running for a while. At least until they bring back X-Dudes (featuring Honey Badger this time).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I think I enjoyed Wolverine and the X-Men, although it didn't really go anywhere. It reminded me of Excalibur in that way that most issues could just boil down to 'hijinks.' I think maybe I really liked Gillen's Uncanny run, but at the same time I can't remember a single thing about it.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

I think I enjoyed Wolverine and the X-Men, although it didn't really go anywhere. It reminded me of Excalibur in that way that most issues could just boil down to 'hijinks.' I think maybe I really liked Gillen's Uncanny run, but at the same time I can't remember a single thing about it.

I've heard positive comments about that first book too, but I still haven't read it. You know, Kieron Gillen did a pretty good job not losing track of what he was going for even with a couple of crossovers thrown his way. He did some interesting things with Mr. Sinister in particular.

Diet Poison posted:

Blue and Red or Blue and Gold? Cause Red's the good one, and had like half as many issues as the other two got.
It occurs to me that Blue and Gold both bored me to such a degree that I never actually finished either of them and just accepted the status quo shift when I started Extermination or Uncanny, whichever of those lovely ones. I don't even remember the difference between the two, or if the former was supposed to finish before the latter started. Was Extermination all about Cable?

Red was absolutely the best of all three and they probably should have just let that book continue on. Gold was trapped in Claremont nostalgia and that simply wasn't what the line needed. Blue had its moments, when they weren't messing around with Venom for an arc or so, but it also kind of felt like an extension of Bunn's Magneto work rather than a mainline title. He wasn't allowed to send the O5 kids back, which was left up to Extermination.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Diet Poison posted:

When was the last time the "main" X-Book was good? I think Bendis' All New + Uncanny started out okay but there wasn't really one moment it stopped being good.
But I mean the great thing about X-Men is there's (usually) so many books that there's always at least one good one going! Just as long as they keep X-23 and Mr & Mrs X running for a while. At least until they bring back X-Dudes (featuring Honey Badger this time).

I think what's so depressing about there not being a good "main" X-Book recently is that going back probably to at least Morrison, there's been at least one solid central book going on. That's as long as I've been aware of comics, basically. You've got Morrison to Whedon, plus Mike Carey's super-long run in the adjacent books, some good stuff going on in New (Young?) X-Men with the kids, Utopia stuff, Wolverine and the X-Men, going into Gillen's Uncanny and then Bendis. That's a good 15 year stretch.

The best we've had since Secret Wars is Hopeless' All-New X-Men, which I enjoyed rather well, but it's not matching the level of earlier stuff. X-Men Red barely stuck around long enough to count as a main book.

wielder posted:

You know, Kieron Gillen did a pretty good job not losing track of what he was going for even with a couple of crossovers thrown his way. He did some interesting things with Mr. Sinister in particular.

I'm never gonna stop stanning for Gillen, but he's probably in my top 3 main X-writers. That early arc with the possessed Juggernaut is amazing, I absolutely dig his take on Mr. Sinister, and the way he dealt with the Phoenix 5, just in how they acted and perceived the world and each other, was amazing.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Diet Poison posted:

Oh yeah, I'm reading Gold actually.

Was the Wolverine and the X-Men book considered main? Otherwise I thought the period just before Hope was born was pretty decent in the main books.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Rick posted:

Oh yeah, I'm reading Gold actually.

Was the Wolverine and the X-Men book considered main?

I think so. I was kind of off the comics train just after that but I'm pretty sure that at least in marketing, they were pushing Wolverine and the X-Men as a direct counterpart to Cyclops' folks in Uncanny post-Schism.

Anyway, Uncanny X-Men 11 is a flaming pile of poo poo.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rochallor posted:

I think so. I was kind of off the comics train just after that but I'm pretty sure that at least in marketing, they were pushing Wolverine and the X-Men as a direct counterpart to Cyclops' folks in Uncanny post-Schism.

It was the soap opera-y stuff alongside the action-y stuff, I think the rationale went.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Age of X-man is better than the new Uncanny so far.

Gymer
May 30, 2012

Rochallor posted:

Anyway, Uncanny X-Men 11 is a flaming pile of poo poo.

Couldn't agree more; another "dark times" story line slaughtering the students wholesale for cheap "drama".

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

its a standard thing at ____ school for gifted mutants.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

wielder posted:

Age of X-man is better than the new Uncanny so far.

I mean it's the millionth time they've gone to the ol' well of "The X-Men are in a strange world with strange ways but they don't yet realize this is not the way the world is supposed to be" but I'll admit I always enjoy this conceit. This one in particular is giving me echoes of the podcast "Within the Wires" which I also love.

And I actually kinda like the dichotomy of the "real" world being absolute poo poo for Cyclops and Wolverine et al while the rest are off in their bizarro paradise. Spoilers for character deaths if you're as behind as I usually am: I'm not even casting judgment on Blindfold's apparent suicide because her precog power is fuckin weird and it's implied several times she knows she's about to die or has to die for Reasons and I'd put money on her being back to life when everything gets reset back to normal. Loa being killed offscreen just underlines how most of the younger X-Men are just treated as cannon fodder unless they managed to distinguish themselves somehow. Sorry, C-listers. We needed a "moment".But again, there's an alternate reality going on elsewhere and there's no guarantee that anything happening in the "real" world is fixed.
Doesn't mean I liked the book, though. It's a slog compared to the intrigue unfolding in Age of X-Men.
Oh, and just the other day I was wondering if anyone in Marvel remembers Velocidad and Primal... Always thought the idea beyond the former was neat. The latter, nah, I'm cool if he died offscreen or something.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Blindfold and Legion both have extremely loose relationships with the death and the concept of linear time in general so, yeah, I think they're coming back.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

wiegieman posted:

Blindfold and Legion both have extremely loose relationships with the death and the concept of linear time in general so, yeah, I think they're coming back.

Yeah, the former was even there when the later erased himself from existence in the really good "Legacy" series, and that turned out to be super permanent as we all know.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Legion's self erasing was not powerful enough to remove Franklin's memory of him, so he was recreated after Battleworld.

Next.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Looking at the cover to prisoner X, it makes complete sense to me that Doctor Henry McCoy would be one of the first people to call bullshit on X-Man's little perfect world.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I coudln't hate this Uncanny, because watching Logan tear into mutant haters will always be something I enjoy. The fact he is a figure of terror for them makes it better.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It would have had more of an impact had Logan's return had been any sort of surprise at all (besides marketing, I don't expect that anybody comes into these things truly unspoiled). But his return was heralded by like seven mini-series consisting of people going, "Hey, Wolverine's back" and then teased almost two years earlier.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Well, at least Logan is back in a regular book now. It's a good outcome even if the execution wasn't.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Actually, I went back to look at the pages since I didn't remember seeing it when I first read them... whatever happened to #hotclaws? Because Logan's claws are clearly between body and local temperature.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

no one cared about hot claws

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Unless somebody needs toast.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Hot Claws appear to be a plotpoint in Charles Soule's Return of Wolverine storyline, which should have been finished by the time this issue of Uncanny came out, but wasn't. I assume there is some weird creative/editorial wrangling going on with Wolverine, since he was originally pitched/featured as part of Duggan's Rebirth/Infinity Stones/Infinity Wars stuff, then written out of that, then brought back into it in a forthcoming mini-series.

The Hunt for Wolverine stuff was tacked-on reverse-engineered bloat the likes of which we haven't seen since Countdown to Final Crisis. Four books, none of them written by the person actually bringing Wolverine back, all of them either not really tying into the the thing they're 'building to' or kind of weirdly blunting the impact/contradicting it.

I have no idea what the behind the scenes decisions were, but the timeline of Wolverine's return as presented to readers in chronological order:

1) Wolverine's back, he remembers everything, and he's got an Infinity Stone!
2) Wolverine's back, he gave up the Infinity Stone because he's got bigger fish to fry!
3) Maybe Wolverine isn't back at all and it's just some imposters and mistaken identities?
4) Wait no, he's back but he just now came back and has amnesia and hot claws.
5) The amnesiac/hot claws storyline is delayed so gently caress it, he's got his memory back and is in the X-Men again.

There's also no announcement/solicitation about an ongoing Wolverine book coming out after the Return of Wolverine mini-series, which was supposed to be over last month so there's a pretty big gap there that might be because of Plans Changing too.

Having read the first 80% of the Return of Wolverine mini-series I don't really 'get' what is interesting/compelling about the antagonist but maybe I will turn around on her in the final issue and part of that will be an explanation as to why he's got Hot Claws now, but even though I just insulted the villain of the book I think Soule is doing a solid job doing a sort of bookend to his Death of Wolverine series and 90% of why it is getting a poor/small reception is because it's surrounded by all of the dumb shifting sands described above.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 11, 2019

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Despite the intro to it being awful, Age of X-Man is fun so far. I really like the weird "clean" dystopia vibe. Parts of it are a little stretched logic-wise, but it's visually and thematically compelling. The whole "everyone is a mutant, but also we use eugenics and forbid natural reproduction to prevent the existence of ugly or inconvenient mutants" thing is a good way to interrogate the whole "mutant utopia" concept that's occasionally used as a plot point in the X-Men canon, but is rarely explored as a long term prospect with like, ramifications and complications.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So hot claws is either something he picked up while in hell or the Phoenix force right?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Yeah, it was probably not as fraught with miscommunication as the Wolverine/Final Crisis stuff I just described, but given the relatively clean division between X-Men Disassembled writers (Ed Brisson, Kelly Thompson, Matthew Rosenberg) and Age of X-Man writers (Lonnie Nadler, Zac Thompson, Seanan McGuire, Leah Williams, Vita Ayala, Tim Seeley, and Brisson again) this might be a case of a mediocre-to-bad story carrying water/reverse-engineered to set up what is so far a much more interesting and well told story.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If he loses his adamantium again do you think he has hot bone claws?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Now I wonder what happened to Spidey's bone claws.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Maybe Wolverine should have stayed dead 4-5 years longer without Old Man Logan running around and weakening hype. Build some real hype for it. Then reap the sales burst.

Right now, it be like a whiskey dick scenario. Despite inital excitement and some minor rises, it didn't go that high or stay that way for long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Or they just should have left Logan dead and actually treated Laura like Wolverine.