Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

:goonsay: Consumer Reports has rated the 2 Series as not only the most reliable BMW, but one of their top 7 most reliable cars on the road!
What about the cost of ownership?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Thanatosian posted:

What about the cost of ownership?

Any non-economy brand is going to have high "True Cost of Ownership" due to the Depreciation line item. You buy a Honda or Toyota or Lexus if you're shopping the TCO line item.

Maintenance is top tier through Year 3, and competitive through Year 5.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

:goonsay: Consumer Reports has rated the 2 Series as not only the most reliable BMW, but one of their top 7 most reliable cars on the road!

Using blanket '2-series' reliability doesn't really work well on a high strung M-series engine, friend.

I'd love an M2 though, and your depreciation line probably won't be too bad either...

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I only marginally trust Consumer Reports auto ratings. It's all self reporting and the type of rear end in a top hat who subscribes to Consumer Reports is the type who buys the same loving Camry or Accord every time and bitches about fit and trim in the same priority as engine replacements.

EDIT: and before anyone says it, yes I do subscribe to Consumer Reports.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

TrueChaos posted:

Using blanket '2-series' reliability doesn't really work well on a high strung M-series engine, friend.

I'd love an M2 though, and your depreciation line probably won't be too bad either...

BMW Thread: It's not a real M
BWM Thread: It's not a real 2

The life of an M2 owner is a lonely one, indeed. :negative:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Is self-posting not frowned upon in the BWM thread anymore? No one cares about your car.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
No one cares about ANYTHING I say, ya dumb bitch :colbert:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Nocheez posted:

Is self-posting not frowned upon in the BWM thread anymore? No one cares about your car.

PI is basically self post about your pets. Mine is in the OP.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

H110Hawk posted:

PI is basically self post about your pets. Mine is in the OP.

I'm sorry that your horse fell on you, ma'am

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

No one cares about ANYTHING I say, ya dumb bitch :colbert:

:hmmyes:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Nocheez posted:

I think we're taking a break while we're in frickin PI. Letting off some steam, ya know.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Here's some self posting pet related bwm: Spent about $200 on a group of saltwater fish, quarantined them for a month with no signs of illness, introduced them to my main tank and every drat fish in the tank got sick. Lost the $200 in new fish, and about $500 in additional fish.

Thanks you scaly assholes!

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
If Eat Faster can talk about a 7 figure house, socking away 6 figures into retirement yearly while planning on scrapping his student loan debt, then Chris can talk about his car.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

metallicaeg posted:

If Eat Faster can talk about a 7 figure house, socking away 6 figures into retirement yearly while planning on scrapping his student loan debt, then Chris can talk about his car.
One of the enduring qualities about each of the BWM regulars is a propensity to never shut up about the ways we're successful, even though the only people reading the posts are people we've already told.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Excellent choice of "enduring" over "endearing"

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The salt water fish post reminds me of my exwife that set up a 125 gallon salt water fish tank in our second story apartment, then proceeded to somehow gently caress up the drain to the sump and flood everything after tripling our electric bill :allears:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

BlackMK4 posted:

The salt water fish post reminds me of my exwife that set up a 125 gallon salt water fish tank in our second story apartment, then proceeded to somehow gently caress up the drain to the sump and flood everything after tripling our electric bill :allears:

Did you also get reamed for having an aquarium larger than 20 gallons in a rental unit?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

metallicaeg posted:

It’s basicalky the speedball of BWM/GWM.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Murderball posted:

Whoops, 1.25 USD

Buying property in East Asia seems like the biggest BWM on the planet

why yes I am looking for a house in East Asia soon :suicide:

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Krispy Wafer posted:

A 35% premium for a penthouse apartment might be nice or it might be terrible. That could be rated a BWM toss up or 2.5 out of 5 Freckles.

The BMW is more worrisome. At least apartments don’t require trips to a dealership.

When the apartment is 90% of your personal take home pay, or at least 50-60% of you and your partners pay, it's BWM.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, there's a jobless 17 year old too.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Isn't it an S-code motor? You got an M2 Comp right?

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Current production BMWs are actually really reliable (just like almost cars in general)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

blackmet posted:

Oh, and I forgot to mention, there's a jobless 17 year old too.

Ahem...you mean a 17 year old dependent tax deduction.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I’d be really curious to see the internal maintenance stats for the BMWs/Minis and Mercedes cars that ReachNow and Car2Go use. There are hoards of the things getting abused in a tough urban environments, and I use them quite a bit, and I’ve still yet to experience one with a check engine light or some terrible obvious mechanical fault (unlike the old C2G Smart ForTwos... what miserable trash those are).

That they stand up to rental car levels of abuse (or worse, people are paying by the minute) is quite impressive.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Murderball posted:

Whoops, 1.25 USD

That's less than a glass of milk at the diner near my place. I'll take 2!

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
Deleted post: https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/aksrjm/my_wife_bought_a_brand_new_car_we_cant_afford_and/

quote:

TL;DR: My Wife (F29) bought a new car we can not possibly afford on the advice of her father, who has given nothing but awful advice to her over our 5 year relationship and I (M36) am extremely angry and am not sure where to go from here.

There's the required TLDR, but there's more to this saga than the blurb.

My wife and I have been together for a little over 5 years now. We were married in early December 2018. We have lived together for a little less than 5 years, so we know each other reasonably well.

Before I begin, my wife is a very kind and loving person who wouldn't intentionally hurt anyone, however, she manages to do it to me consistently.

Throughout our relationship she has not had any money to speak of. Enough for her bills, but that's about it. My own financial situation was fairly dire when we started dating, but I've worked incredibly hard and now have a great job which pays well. The extravagant wedding which I did not want, was an incredible financial burden. I wanted something small and simple with close friends. She wanted a fairytale wedding.

I detested the wedding itself. Her father became heavily involved and insisted on additions which were well outside of my budget. I conceded because this is my new family, right? The financial aspect aside. I hated every minute of our wedding day. Her father demanded things we did not want.
Stormed out of our actual wedding (we had a small signing with family prior to the ceremony a few days before) over the seating plan, and created a situation in which we, the bride and groom, did not have seats at our own reception. I am incredibly bitter about the whole thing.

It's also important to mention that my wife has a history of terrible financial decisions and keeping them from me. Credit cards and store accounts which she's maxed and I've had to cover.

That brings me to my current situation. A few weeks ago my wife mentioned that she'd be selling her vehicle to payoff her student loans, and would be buying a new vehicle with what was left. Sounds pretty sensible for people starting their lives together, right? I agreed that it sounded like a great idea. Her father had a contact in the car industry and I was assured it was a great deal. Last weekend she took possession of the vehicle and drove it straight out of the dealer.

Friday was payday. Today she has a new car, no money for petrol, no money for groceries and a 5 year payment plan that has effectively increased her debt by roughly 300%.According to her, it was all budgeted out with her father according to what she could afford. When it came to sign, the payments were 3 times higher than agreed upon, but she signed and took possession anyway. She didn't want to look stupid.

Im absolutely furious. I have been carefully saving and managing my money to ensure that my personal debt would be clear by December 2019. This morning I gave myself a pat on the back because it was completely achievable. This evening, after trying to figure out why she was down, the financial situation with the car became apparent. There's not a chance I'll be debt free at the end of this year, or the next, or the next. To make matters even worse, I haven't made a contribution to my pension since I've met her. Initially it was because I simply couldn't afford to. Then I needed to pay for a wedding I didn't want. Now a loving car we didn't need and couldn't afford. While I'm trying to sort out my own drat debt

I feel that she has selfishly made decisions which have a significant impact on our lives for the foreseeable future. I feel that she mislead me and lied by omission. When I paid off her secret credit cards and store accounts, I said I would leave her if it happened again.

I love her dearly, but I'm furious as gently caress. I have no idea what to do. Do I get a divorce? Do I make her take the car back? Do I deal with the situation and move as far away from her father and his manipulation as possible? I have no idea how to handle these constant abuses of trust.

Hard not to highlight the entire post. Car they can't afford, expensive wedding, and no retirement contributions. Just a horse away from BWM Bingo.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Enchanted Hat posted:

Upside down on our car

https://old.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/ahy9lb/upside_down_on_our_car/

quote:

And trying to get out of a payment. Long story short, I needed a reliable car 2 years ago for my out of town clinical rotations and my '01 Audi with 200K+ miles wasn't going to cut it. I now have a '13 Chrysler 300 and my husband's friend who owns a dealership sold it to is for the price he bought it at (around $17K) plus fees, etc. so the total loan was just under $20K.

Well, we're upside down, owe a little over $15K and have a baby on the way any day now. If we can get another reliable car and not have a payment, the extra $300/ month in our pockets will be a blessing. We are about $4-$4500 upside down.

Another car that my husband's friend may want to trade/ sell us is an '05 Audi S4 wagon and apparently has drive train issues but is worth between $4-8K (or so my husband says because "it has nice wheels). My husband is a mechanic and owns an auto shop and will inspect it before we make any changes.

So, we may try to go through the friend's dealership, have him take in the Audi and Chrylser, work a deal so we get the Audi, and my husband may have to give up his '76 Chevy to "break even". I just don't want my husband to give his truck up for a 14 year old vehicle when the Chrysler is only 6 years old and less than 90K miles. My husband sees it as getting out of a payment and having a paid off car but we'll be out 2 vehicles for 1 paid off one. His truck is worth at least $8K but as hubby says "it's only worth what someone will pay".

I'm sorry if this is long and doesn't make sense. I will clarify if anyone can give me some basic advice. The car is in my name only and my dad cosigned for me for the best interest rate and because I didn't have credit.

Remember this one? Here’s another person pining for an Audi:

2009 Audi s5 V8 manual. 144k miles. Problematic?

OP posted:

About to buy this car, I’m getting an amazing deal on it cause a friend is selling it to me. I was talking to my mechanic who was going to look at something that my friend told me was wrong with the car, and he told me that because it’s a Audi v8 that in the future I’ll get a lot of problems and it’ll run my pocket down. Car looked good to me otherwise though. Any opinions on this?

quote:

Well you obviously hate money...as you’ll soon be bankrupt

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Uterine Lineup posted:

Deleted post: https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/aksrjm/my_wife_bought_a_brand_new_car_we_cant_afford_and/

Hard not to highlight the entire post. Car they can't afford, expensive wedding, and no retirement contributions. Just a horse away from BWM Bingo.

Clearly dad :murder: is the answer

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

This doesn't sound like the US ("petrol"), but maybe some type of cooling off period / buyer's remorse clause could kick in if it's only been a few days?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Wow, that's painful to read.

Narrator - pushover doormat who thought his partner's glaringly obvious problems would go away on their own?

Wife - Yes-Daddy Obedience Bot who will spend her whole life with (best case scenario) Income = Expenses

Dad - No doubt the narrator is a bit unreliable here, but dad sounds like a controlling psycho. I can just picture him using the wedding to parade his Successful Daughter around. Wonder if he gave the couples' sweetheart table to his boss or some poo poo.

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
wretches and money lovers, smug in your paper towers, self-satisfied, self-absorbed, fascinated beyond all capacity for critical thought by the soulless abstraction that is the dollar. coins and cars. that's all that's inside any of you. no blood, no insight, no eternal soul. i denounce all of you, i denounce your philosophies, i denounce your works, i denounce your daily bread

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
Hello, friend! Do you have any BWM to share? Seen a horse lately?

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Enchanted Hat posted:

Hello, friend! Do you have any BWM to share? Seen a horse lately?
lol actually, my mother spent $150 on getting us both dna-tested and it was a complete and utter sham (please note we have a combined savings of less than a grand between us). as for horses no, i haven't left the house in a week because of the heatwave, but i'm planning to start a farm animal rescue soon

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

pikachode posted:

i'm planning to start a farm animal rescue soon

:allears:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I never understood the point of family members getting multiple DNA tests. Your DNA is going to pretty drat close to your immediate family’s, but if it isn’t then at least you’ll get your money’s worth in drama.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I never understood the point of family members getting multiple DNA tests. Your DNA is going to pretty drat close to your immediate family’s, but if it isn’t then at least you’ll get your money’s worth in drama.

It's BWM all the way down since it's mostly a best guess using algorithms and identical twins might not even get the same results back: https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2019/1/28/18194560/ancestry-dna-23-me-myheritage-science-explainer

As a bonus, Big Pharma has even more data about you now.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sirotan posted:

It's BWM all the way down since it's mostly a best guess using algorithms and identical twins might not even get the same results back: https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2019/1/28/18194560/ancestry-dna-23-me-myheritage-science-explainer

As a bonus, Big Pharma has even more data about you now.

Eh, our results were pretty accurate based on family history (Scottish sheep fuckers for a millennium) but yeah, it’s a carnival game for anything more accurate than general location markers.

On the plus side any serial killers in my family are now on notice.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
so...I want a cat. I don't know why a cat considering their behavior....but I wanna cat.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Fruity20 posted:

so...I want a cat. I don't know why a cat considering their behavior....but I wanna cat.
Can I upsell you on a horse instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Fruity20 posted:

Watch the short Netflix documentary "The Lion in your Living Room" and you will see that our species has, for thousands of years, had this exact same attitude.

Despite their personalities and total lack of contribution to society (dogs are far better at killing vermin, and early cats basically lived in our garbage) we have always loved those lazy fuckers

I think it's their silly little paws and perfect faces with whiskers!