Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I have a mortgage but purely from the fact that my local market (Copenhagen) is weird as heck. as in buying an apartment ended up costing me roughly 2/3rds what renting would monthly.

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qhat posted:

You can also pack your bags and leave whenever poo poo hits the fan.

untrue. I can't afford first last and security on a new place right now and I definitely can't afford to break a lease or float two rents so I'd also have to perfect time finding a better place with my lease ending.

and my neighbors loving suckkkkkk

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
my personal rule of thumb:
buying a house > renting a house
renting a condo > buying a condo
ymmv

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I used to live in an apartment under people who I assume are actually insane (we asked them to use their own garbage bin and they glued the lid of ours shut and then started sending fake letters based on bad social media info trying to pretend Mrs.MononcQc was cheating on me to break us up) and now we bought a house and it is hella peaceful so I would not look back at all.

also renting if you want pets is an exercise in continuous frustration.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

TimWinter posted:

Throwing this out there again- DataRobot with locations in Boston, Colorado, Ukraine, Singapore, and Ohio is hiring.

PM me and send a resume my way- we need a lot of developers of all stripes.

Like, seriously, a lot.

We just made a killer D round and need frontend, devop, and backend engineers.

Do you do remote work?

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

MononcQc posted:

also renting if you want pets is an exercise in continuous frustration.
This is the big one for me. I don't particularly care about ~owning land~[1] but drat do I miss not having a dog at home :(

[1]: if the government can take your land away from you for not paying your taxes, is it really your land :grovertoot:

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

bob dobbs is dead posted:

soulless property management company ftw, imo

soullessness in housing very underrated in every way

Absolutely it rocks. I’ve never have to interact with my property mgmt except for picking up mail and putting in maintenance requests & they never enter the apt and rile up my pets. It’s worth w/e premium I’m probably paying

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Might as well XP this from CJs?

So, Milwaukee is lovely and terrible. Chicago is also lovely and terrible but it’s bigger. So how would I go about getting an (IT) job in Chicago, ideally some combination of remote and maybe taking the train down once or twice a week?

I’ve literally never worked outside of 414/262 and have no friends in Chicago. I have no idea.

:ohdear:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

you find the remote-friendly jobs and apply to them. use the internet since you don’t have contacts that can give you the hookup

also look at remote job websites because full remote doesn’t have much to do with location

were you expecting like a konami code?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Achmed Jones posted:

you find the remote-friendly jobs and apply to them. use the internet since you don’t have contacts that can give you the hookup

also look at remote job websites because full remote doesn’t have much to do with location

were you expecting like a konami code?

No, just this sort of suggestion really.

:tipshat:

CJs is too busy complaining about the cold/bitching at Shaggs/explaining how Pittsburgh is actually part of the Ohio Riparian Cultural Zone rather than the Midwest (truth be told that last one is really just me saying it).

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I'd take a competent soulless property management company over a lazy incompetent landlord who expects you to give them slack because they are polite in person.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
my soulless property management company even voluntarily sent a letter out saying that federal government workers wouldn't be charged late fees or considered in arrears until a month after the shutdown ended, which surprised me

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

jit bull transpile posted:

untrue. I can't afford first last and security on a new place right now

if this is true and you touch computers for a living youre doing money wrong friend

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

untrue. I can't afford first last and security on a new place right now and I definitely can't afford to break a lease or float two rents so I'd also have to perfect time finding a better place with my lease ending.

just think how broke you would be if you had sprung for an s-class

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

if this is true and you touch computers for a living youre doing money wrong friend

I snuck into computer touching from a childhood of shoplifting to eat and I have the insurmountable pile of debt to prove it. you can gently caress right off with this classist bullshit.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

just think how broke you would be if you had sprung for an s-class

yeah it was a silly flight of fancy in a rare moment of high self esteem

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
lol just did a phone screen where question 1 was typical prime number stuff and at the very end of the interview dude is like "by the way, there is a thing called a sieve of eratosthones which lets you quickly find many primes up to a given limit" and links his own github with his personal example solution

like dude i'm not gonna bust out a sieve for the first half of a 45 minute tech phone screen

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

I snuck into computer touching from a childhood of shoplifting to eat and I have the insurmountable pile of debt to prove it. you can gently caress right off with this classist bullshit.

sorry i havent posted for like a year, i forgot about your story, you're excused while you build your emergency fund friend :shobon:

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

hell, this is the united states of america, where you have the freedom to be crushed under insurmountable debt if you had the temerity to get sick while not having insurance

or any number of other reasons

basically dont blame people for not having money in a country designed to bleed you dry at the slightest opportunity

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Arcsech posted:

hell, this is the united states of america, where you have the freedom to be crushed under insurmountable debt if you had the temerity to get sick while not having insurance

stacking debt is one of the better outcomes on that spectrum

if you're poor enough, no one will treat you postpaid. you're forced to go to an emergency room, where they will merely stabilize you and send you home

medical bankruptcy at least implies that you survived the medical crisis :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

stacking debt is one of the better outcomes on that spectrum

if you're poor enough, no one will treat you postpaid. you're forced to go to an emergency room, where they will merely stabilize you and send you home

medical bankruptcy at least implies that you survived the medical crisis :smith:

i have been utterly panicked the last day over exactly this happening, yeah

my insurance lapses tomorrow until i get my COBRA docs so i can go with either that or healthcare.gov and oh my god what if something happens before then or i can't afford it or my retirement reserves run out or or or

ugh

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Arcsech posted:

basically dont blame people for not having money in a country designed to bleed you dry at the slightest opportunity

Ciaphas posted:

my insurance lapses tomorrow until i get my COBRA docs so i can go with either that or healthcare.gov and oh my god what if something happens before then or i can't afford it or my retirement reserves run out or or or

ugh

rly glad i left the us

edit to include more reasons why im glad :sigh:

Asymmetric POSTer fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 30, 2019

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Ciaphas posted:

ugh

cobra coverage is retroactive to your qualifying event

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

raminasi posted:

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

raminasi posted:

yep

you can go up to 90 days (I think? double check that, might be 60) without signing up and it’s retroactive to the date you otherwise lost insurance. you have to pay premiums for the backfilled period tho

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it’s 60 days, i was JUST looking this up bc I will start newjob on March 18 and will probably have feb 22 be my last day at oldjob.

from everything I can tell, our family can go uninsured for that period and then get COBRA if something happens where we would’ve used the insurance and it’ll be applied retroactively (and so paid for). you only get a tax penalty for >90 day lapse.

if my plan is a terrible idea, please someone tell me

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

what happens at the practicioner's office then, do i just give them my old insurance info and it all Works Out somehow once I've paid the cobra premium?

i was intending to just minimize visits as much as i can but I have HRT and cancer-check thyroid ultrasound and poo poo to keep on top of and I don't want to delay those for long--forgetting the potential emergencies i'm busily and unnecessarily panicking about

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

fritz posted:

Do you do remote work?

Apparently Brazil was a bridge too far until we get an office down there. If you're remote in one of the countries we already have an office in (or pretty much anywhere in Europe), it's fair game.

Usual restrictions of "need to have proven capable of working remotely in the past", but nothing crazy.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ciaphas posted:

what happens at the practicioner's office then, do i just give them my old insurance info and it all Works Out somehow once I've paid the cobra premium?

i was intending to just minimize visits as much as i can but I have HRT and cancer-check thyroid ultrasound and poo poo to keep on top of and I don't want to delay those for long--forgetting the potential emergencies i'm busily and unnecessarily panicking about

no you pay the whole bill and then submit it for reimbursement after or ask the doctor to wait to generate the bill until you've got the insurance set up.

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
today I got an email from hr that due to a screwup in our benefits signup process this year our benefits provider will be calling us each up to ask if we want abortion coverage

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Flat Daddy posted:

today I got an email from hr that due to a screwup in our benefits signup process this year our benefits provider will be calling us each up to ask if we want abortion coverage

lol this is definitely on purpose. They're hoping people will pass on it out of shame or embarrassment.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

lol this is definitely on purpose. They're hoping people will pass on it out of shame or embarrassment.

:thermidor: :thermidor: :thermidor: :thermidor: :thermidor:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Just found out today that the CEO offered my senior role to my report of 2 years industry exp, bypassing two layers of management who don't agree that the person yet has anywhere close to the technical or management experience required to lead this team. Not my problem I guess, lol.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

This is no sarcasm a good post

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

qhat posted:

Just found out today that the CEO offered my senior role to my report of 2 years industry exp, bypassing two layers of management who don't agree that the person yet has anywhere close to the technical or management experience required to lead this team. Not my problem I guess, lol.

LMAO 2 years is pretty good, my boss has zero years of experience and got the job for being drinking buddies with the ceo

on another note I've also put in my notice

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

TimWinter posted:

Apparently Brazil was a bridge too far until we get an office down there. If you're remote in one of the countries we already have an office in (or pretty much anywhere in Europe), it's fair game.

Usual restrictions of "need to have proven capable of working remotely in the past", but nothing crazy.

i live 2.5 hours away from your boston office and have been ftr for 4+ years, i'll pm you a resume tonight

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qhat posted:

my current boss is younger than i am and has no relevant experience whatsoever

but he has an mba, so it's all good, right?

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Hey YOSPOS what's the best way to blast my resume out to a bunch of different companies? I'm up on Hired and I've been using Angel.co. What's the new cool job site to use?

Woodstock
Sep 28, 2005
Well now.
So I'm an Interdisciplinary Systems Engineer in Boston who does mostly Computer Eng/Electronics stuff. Considering expanding my breadth into cloud architecture.

Alternatively I've got a chance to take on some more technical Program Management stuff. I'm not bad at it.

Is there a noticeable difference in available opportunities or $$$ with either? They both seem like a step up from where I am now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

Rudest Buddhist posted:

Hey YOSPOS what's the best way to blast my resume out to a bunch of different companies? I'm up on Hired and I've been using Angel.co. What's the new cool job site to use?

linkedin