Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Here's the best list https://letterboxd.com/valdesbian/list/movie-titles-my-roommate-has-said-in-his/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm going through the massive Criterion Bergman set right now, so I'll be surprised if Bergman isn't my top director for the year.
https://letterboxd.com/egbertsouse/year/2019/

Though, with Kino Lorber putting out nine British Hitchcock films before the end of the year, I might rewatch/watch his entire filmography.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm going through the massive Criterion Bergman set right now, so I'll be surprised if Bergman isn't my top director for the year.
https://letterboxd.com/egbertsouse/year/2019/

Though, with Kino Lorber putting out nine British Hitchcock films before the end of the year, I might rewatch/watch his entire filmography.

I know it basically works out to approximately $6 a blu-ray, but I'm extremely hesitant to drop $220+ on the Bergman set.

Does it even fit well on your shelf? I don't think I'd even have a place for it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

I know it basically works out to approximately $6 a blu-ray, but I'm extremely hesitant to drop $220+ on the Bergman set.

Does it even fit well on your shelf? I don't think I'd even have a place for it.

It was only $150 when I got it in the B&N sale and Criterion.com usually has a 50%-off flash sale in February - which is when the second printing is supposed to be ready. Either way, it's absolutely worth it.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Letterboxd turned me on to the greatest documentary ever so I figured I'd pay it forward. This seems like the best place to post it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzMVnPytPSM

I don't really write reviews but this was such an experience I started taking notes, which I have cleaned up a bit and dropped here https://letterboxd.com/idiotbear/film/ernest-borgnine-on-the-bus/

It's an extremely wholesome pick-me-up and it's by the guy who did Heavy Metal Parking Lot!

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

Ingmar terdman posted:

Letterboxd turned me on to the greatest documentary ever so I figured I'd pay it forward. This seems like the best place to post it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzMVnPytPSM

I don't really write reviews but this was such an experience I started taking notes, which I have cleaned up a bit and dropped here https://letterboxd.com/idiotbear/film/ernest-borgnine-on-the-bus/

It's an extremely wholesome pick-me-up and it's by the guy who did Heavy Metal Parking Lot!

This is so wholesome and I love it. Thanks for posting it. Borgnine seems like he was such a lovable, happy goofball. :)

Several Goblins fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 1, 2019

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Question about the Letterboxd ecosystem:

I have been on the platform for about 8 months or so. I've marked/liked about 100 films and reviewed maybe 20? I have had absolutely zero engagement from other users on the site (which is fine, I mainly use it to log what I watched in the year). Recently, I noticed the guys from We Hate Movies are on the site so I started following them (my first ever followed users). Suddenly, I'm getting 1-2 followers a day now. They all *seem* real (one does vegan reviews of movies) but I'm Extremely Online and hyperaware of bot activity and it just seems weird. Some of them are following 20,000 users (bot!) some are following 20.

So, did I just happen to review something that's resulting in followers? Did following someone else expose my account to real people somehow? Is it bots or is it normal to get a handful of followers every couple of days if you're reviewing newer stuff?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

mary had a little clam posted:

Question about the Letterboxd ecosystem:

I have been on the platform for about 8 months or so. I've marked/liked about 100 films and reviewed maybe 20? I have had absolutely zero engagement from other users on the site (which is fine, I mainly use it to log what I watched in the year). Recently, I noticed the guys from We Hate Movies are on the site so I started following them (my first ever followed users). Suddenly, I'm getting 1-2 followers a day now. They all *seem* real (one does vegan reviews of movies) but I'm Extremely Online and hyperaware of bot activity and it just seems weird. Some of them are following 20,000 users (bot!) some are following 20.

So, did I just happen to review something that's resulting in followers? Did following someone else expose my account to real people somehow? Is it bots or is it normal to get a handful of followers every couple of days if you're reviewing newer stuff?

It's normal to get a handful of followers every so often if you're writing reviews, no matter the film's release.

If you comment on things or like posts/films, there's also a way for people to click that and find you and start following you.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Well that's good to know. I'm not used to being on social media that hasn't been overrun with fake users successfully selling me boner pills

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Yeah, because the site doesn't notify on likes for reviews I'll go back and see reviews I wrote years ago have since had people read and comment on them. So you'll get followers that way.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

1 Weird Trick I use to find stuff that I would never hear of otherwise is to look up who has a certain obscure or weird film in their top 4 and then crawl their feeds and reviews. Dug up a lot of weird movies that way

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Several Goblins posted:

This is so wholesome and I love it. Thanks for posting it. Borgnine seems like he was such a lovable, happy goofball. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I_PeLNzxNQ

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

TrixRabbi posted:

Yeah, because the site doesn't notify on likes for reviews I'll go back and see reviews I wrote years ago have since had people read and comment on them. So you'll get followers that way.

They recently updated the app to be able to give push notifications for likes (and switched it on by default). And I’m pretty sure there’s been an option to get e-mail notifications for comments for a long time.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I just started regularly using this in the past few months and am enjoying it a lot. I followed everyone in the OP - here's my profile: https://letterboxd.com/daveski/

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Several Goblins posted:

Borgnine seems like he was such a lovable, happy goofball. :)
I've always thought this about him too. Shortly before his death he appeared on Saturday Night Live in one of Kenan Thompson's "What's Up with That?" sketches (a recurring sketch that always involved a lot of singing and dancing). He had no lines, but just sat there watching the scene with a huge smile.

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

My Twitter Account posted:

I've always thought this about him too. Shortly before his death he appeared on Saturday Night Live in one of Kenan Thompson's "What's Up with That?" sketches (a recurring sketch that always involved a lot of singing and dancing). He had no lines, but just sat there watching the scene with a huge smile.

Borgnine rules and now nothing will convince me otherwise.

For actual Letterboxd content, I finally signed up for Pro (the extra features are neat) and realized how to use the diary feature that I neglected last year. I'm sitting at 50 movies logged for the year. My fiance, friends and I have done several bad movie nights this year so far, so I've gone out of my way a few times to watch something higher quality to balance out the list. I think I'm going to binge some of my Criterion backlog to fix the good/bad ratio.

If anyone wants to see my bad movie opinions, here's my Letterboxd again: https://letterboxd.com/GelatinSkeleton/

Several Goblins fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 28, 2019

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Just signed up. Flipping through pages of movies to mark/remember what I have and haven't seen.

"There are 419,582 films."

oh my

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Assigning star ratings to the movies I've seen really drives home how ambivalent I am towards a healthy percentage of movies I've seen

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I decided to not do that for movies I've seen in the past because I'd go crazy. I really like giving ratings and reviews to films as I watch them though, it makes me think a little harder about why I did or didn't like something.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I get around that issue by never rating anything. Death to numerical values!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I'll mark stuff I've seen as watched and don't assign stars unless it's a new watch or I have really strong feelings about it.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Do you guys log the mst3k versions of movies that you watch? I've done a couple, but I don't know if I should count those or not.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Nah. I consider em TV episodes, which I don't log. I don't log audio commentary watches either.
I guess It's good incentive to rewatch the movies unedited and judge them on their own terms :)

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I log MST3K. It’s just a different cut of the film IMO

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

It depends on the reason you log stuff, I suppose. I mostly log so that whenever I'm asked for recommendations, I have a repository to fall back on. In this case, it makes sense to log MST3K episodes since you might want to recommend them to others.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I would log it and put an MST3K tag in the diary.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
There's also some separate entries for MST3k versions (examples here), but they tend to be entered into the database sloppily, so they'll probably get deleted eventually.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Narzack posted:

Do you guys log the mst3k versions of movies that you watch? I've done a couple, but I don't know if I should count those or not.

I do. I just use Letterboxd as a way to keep track of everything I've seen, and I think I've "seen" Master Ninja about as much as I "saw" Plan 9 when me and my roommates would get drunk and dunk on it in college. I generally don't rate them unless the movie is egregiously bad.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

If you log the mst3k versions on there you won't get an accurate percentage when you're browsing lists of trash films, if you do that

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

I log MST3K. It’s just a different cut of the film IMO

:same:

I either tag it or mention it in the review.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Never really thought about it until I tried to check in Apocalypse Now Redux but I guess boxd policy is to have different cuts under a single entry. I think there's a strong enough case that an mst ep is recut and reworked enough to be a distinct work

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
It's such a weird rule, but I guess they just do it so there aren't like 4-5 entries for a single movie on things like Blade Runner and Heaven's Gate.

There are still a few on the site – such as the Richard Donner re-edit of Superman 2 – but I'm not sure by what logic it's decided to make them distinct entries.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They use TMDB as the data source yeah? I’m not sure how much culling Letterboxd do themselves.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Almost Blue posted:

It's such a weird rule, but I guess they just do it so there aren't like 4-5 entries for a single movie on things like Blade Runner and Heaven's Gate.

There are still a few on the site – such as the Richard Donner re-edit of Superman 2 – but I'm not sure by what logic it's decided to make them distinct entries.

I think some re-edits are actually considered separate works by the owners, which is definitely the case with Superman II and Apocalypse Now. More of a copyright thing. Though, Superman II is a complete re-edit of the film while Apocalypse Now Redux isn't really that different from any other "extended edition" since it's not like Coppola re-edited the entire film from scratch.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
It's definitely a thing of how significant the changes are in addition to the involvement of other artists.

For instance, the Giorgio Moroder version of Metropolis is naturally considered a distinct film, whereas the "complete" Metropolis is considered just one of the various cuts that go with the "original" film.

Similarly, Gojira, Godzilla, King of the Monsters!, and Cozzilla are all considered unique works

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Checking in Star Wars and half a dozen versions of Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Narzack posted:

I do the same as most other people here and I log them and tag them as MST3K or Rifftrax watches.

It's especially important to do this with MST3K watches I think because MST3K versions of films are often chopped up so it's not always fair to compare your watch with MST3K to a watch of a proper cut of the film.

As for star ratings, lots of people have a legend in their profiles explaining how they rate films. I think trying to rank every movie is insane, so I always just go with 5 stars = love it, 4 stars = good movie, would watch again, 3 stars = yeah ok, I won't be watching it again though, 2 stars = bad, and 1 star = gently caress you.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I usually do a star rating based on the quality of the movie and then in the review field include a separate star rating as a MST3K episode (i.e. if Manos is a 5/5 then Avalanche is like a 2/5). Obviously it's a different experience than if I just watched the movie on its own, so my rating will be skewed by that, but it's really not worth getting too into the weeds about.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Something about the idea of setting alerts for all the Letterboxd-using vegans who object to seeing non-veganism on-screen and might somehow end up watching the 1998 film Half Baked in 2019 just stays funny to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

seeing it in theaters no less

how does one find somewhere playing half baked in 2019?

who still uses movie pass in 2019?