Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

pseudanonymous posted:

But that's not really what happened, the traitor states decided to rebel to keep slavery, and the northern states didn't allow their secession.

Don't do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

But that's actually true.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Argas posted:

Christianity is simultaneously the most rewarding religion on Earth but also by far the most fragile and easy to stray off the path from. No wonder they love it. It's an uphill struggle to make it into Heaven!

More people subscribe to the Jack Chick-esque view of Heaven than it seemed a decade ago. A Heaven that's supposedly super easy to get into but is super bureaucratic in just how little it takes for them to drop you from their coverage plan once you reach the gates.

Like the time some missionaries spent their lives doing good works in the name of Christ but because they made people aware of God but not aware ENOUGH of him to scare them to converting they get sent to Hell for that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wouldn't blithely dismiss the role of the abolitionist movement in leading to secession, but yes it's true the immediate case for war was preserving the union. Though the immediate cause of the South seceding was the election of Abraham Lincoln.

zoux fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 31, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Don't do what?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

zoux posted:

I wouldn't blithely dismiss the role of the abolitionist movement in leading to secession, but yes it's true the immediate case for war was preserving the union. Though the immediate cause of the South seceding was the election of Abraham Lincoln.

Certainly, the two were intertwined, but it's disingenuous to say that people took up arms to end slavery. Slavery went on for years and years and years and people didn't take up arms to free the slaves. So it's a false comparison to say that today's "justice system" isn't a form of slavery equally bad simply because nobody is taking up arms against it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Question: What was the confederacy?

Answer: A country formed specifically for slavery.

Question: What does that make the civil war?

Answer: A war against slavery.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

Question: What was the confederacy?

Answer: A country formed specifically for slavery.

Question: What does that make the civil war?

Answer: A war against slavery.

This is loving terrible logic.

Nazi Germany was a country based around the ideal of a white, Christian master race. Most of the Western countries fighting WWII on the Allied side, didn't specifically disagree with that, they were responding to German aggression.
The Confederacy seceded to preserve slavery, the North fought them because they wanted to preserve the union, not because they wanted to impose abolitionist policies.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Helen Highwater posted:

The Confederacy seceded to preserve slavery, the North fought them because they wanted to preserve the union, not because they wanted to impose abolitionist policies.

Congrats on re-explaining why the war was anti-slavery.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Helen Highwater posted:

This is loving terrible logic.

Nazi Germany was a country based around the ideal of a white, Christian master race. Most of the Western countries fighting WWII on the Allied side, didn't specifically disagree with that, they were responding to German aggression.

The war of Southern Agression?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I kind of have to wonder, WRT to the whole trans conspiracy nonsense, if these people recognize women as existing at all, or if the entire concept of women is a Jewish plot. Because I'm pretty sure literally every single woman in the public sphere at this point has had at least one of these bigoted loons accusing them of being secretly trans.

Like at what point does the conspiracy shift from 'Hollywood is full of closeted transpeople as part of a nefarious plot to somehow destroy white people' to 'women literally don't exist' and have any brave (read: stupid and insane) souls made that jump yet?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I kind of have to wonder, WRT to the whole trans conspiracy nonsense, if these people recognize women as existing at all, or if the entire concept of women is a Jewish plot. Because I'm pretty sure literally every single woman in the public sphere at this point has had at least one of these bigoted loons accusing them of being secretly trans.

Like at what point does the conspiracy shift from 'Hollywood is full of closeted transpeople as part of a nefarious plot to somehow destroy white people' to 'women literally don't exist' and have any brave (read: stupid and insane) souls made that jump yet?

I mean this poo poo probably dovetails alot with being an MRA and boy do they have, um, interesting opinions.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Actually tons of people took up arms specifically to fight slavery. By default every abolitionist supported the Union cause. Slaves ran away from their owners en masse to join the Union cause when they could and local officers like John C Fremont took it upon themselves to free slaves where they marched up until Lincoln put the kibosh on that until such a time he thought it politically wise. Yes, it was government's position early on that the war was solely to preserve the union, that was their animating purpose, etc. But anyone who paid attention knew that slavery could not survive an Union victory, that the only way to preserve the Union was to destroy the destabilizing force that brought the nation to ruin in the first place.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Feinne posted:

I mean this poo poo probably dovetails alot with being an MRA and boy do they have, um, interesting opinions.

Oh, I know. But while there's a sizable minority of MRAs/Incels that literally and explicitly deny that women are human beings and see them as literally just clever animals, I'm curious if anyone has - as those fuckers do for the MRA/Incel ideology - taken the final step down the rabbit hole and taken the insane rantings of the 'Transvestigators' to their logical conclusion and decided that women simply do not exist and the only sexes/genders are 'male' and 'male masquerading as something else which doesn't even actually exist'

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Oh, I know. But while there's a sizable minority of MRAs/Incels that literally and explicitly deny that women are human beings and see them as literally just clever animals, I'm curious if anyone has - as those fuckers do for the MRA/Incel ideology - taken the final step down the rabbit hole and taken the insane rantings of the 'Transvestigators' to their logical conclusion and decided that women simply do not exist and the only sexes/genders are 'male' and 'male masquerading as something else which doesn't even actually exist'

I feel like that's a conspiracy that'd be so hard to maintain that anyone holding to it wouldn't even be functional enough for you to hear about it even in the Internet age.

It's like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8O4UWeAglU, and runs into the same problem.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

There are definitely incels who call men "our species" and :females: "their species" and have varying degrees of brainworm-induced seriousness when they say it, I remember that much from the incel safari threads.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

zoux posted:

Kind of how I feel about pro-lifers. Like, if you though abortion was truly the systematic murder of hundreds of thousands of infants, you'd take up arms. That they don't kind of gives away the game.

I mean to be fair quite a few have.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Normally I'd agree with you 100%, but considering 'Donald Trump is a time-travelling Messiah here to save us all from a Jewish conspiracy of satanic pedophile cannibals' I'm really not sure anything is too too loving insane or stupid any more. I mean, hell, the dude who wrote Star Trek: Into Darkness is both a 9/11 Truther and someone who considers Bush a personal hero of theirs. Conspiracy theorists are pretty good at compartmentalizing beliefs.

But yeah, I basically think you're right, I'm just super morbidly curious to see if there really is a bottom of the barrel when it comes to these bizarre transphobic/misogynistic/bigoted delusions. Is there something so loving insane and divorced from reality that even these people, warped and twisted by hatred and idiocy as they are, cannot accept it as true?

EDIT:

Pieces of Peace posted:

There are definitely incels who call men "our species" and :females: "their species" and have varying degrees of brainworm-induced seriousness when they say it, I remember that much from the incel safari threads.

Oh, yeah, no, that I know. Like I said, I know there are tons of Incels and MRAs that literally and explicitly deny the personhood and/or humanity of women in a literal sense, rather than just implicitly and effectively. I'm just curious about taking just how absurd the 'everyone in hollywood is MTF!' people are and like if someone just flat out says that women don't exist - period - and any 'woman' you think you see is a man in drag/mtf transperson. Because judging by those deranged reddits and youtube videos, pretty much every single woman in Hollywood, Washington, or otherwise in the public sphere is actually not a 'real woman' at all but a MTF transexual posing as a woman as part of some nefarious plot to accomplish something, somehow.

RoboChrist 9000 fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 31, 2019

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I'm pretty sure there is no such thing as being too crazy to operate a computer.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

KillerQueen posted:

I mean to be fair quite a few have.

Not anywhere near the numbers that say “abortion is murder”.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

And how many of us have actually eaten a rich person

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Plinkey posted:

The war of Southern Agression?

I make it a hobby to loving destroy Lost Cause scum absolutely every chance I get. Sometimes the very weakest and stupidest of the Lost Cause scum give me a custom title because they're so absolutely 100% owned in every dumb white supremacist Lost Cause "IT WAS ABOUT STATE'S RIGHTS!" argument attempted against me that all they can do is whimper about how William Sherman had racist beliefs and said racist things while the army he commanded smashed through the despotic racist slave empire so God-damned hard and thoroughly they are still shrieking about it today.

Too bad old William Tecumseh didn't have access to napalm and nukes.

Anyway, I run into this "War of Northern Aggression" poo poo a bunch (twice at Gettysburg this very year!) and the correct response is to laugh and say, "Oh, you mean the War of Southern Treason" and then begin to reference the entirety of the history of the three-dimensional physical reality we inhabit that easily and categorically proves them wrong.

We can start by looking at the declarations of secession of the southern states. I wonder what they say? Probably nothing about slavery. Probably just stuff about tariffs and state's rights. Probably. I'm not going to bother to look that up because my grandpa Jefferson Davis Bedford Forrest the Third told me that my great-great grandpa Jefferson Davis Bedford Forrest was an honorable hero just out to fight as hard as possible for the army attempting to enshrine slavery as a loving natural phenomenon like sunlight forever in the south.

So it's very obvious slavery had nothing to do with it.

>sits and watches fishing bobber intently<

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Waiting on a youtube live stream about a property tax press conference and look at the top rec

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

zoux posted:

Waiting on a youtube live stream about a property tax press conference and look at the top rec

I got that one recently too; might be an ad buy. When was it published?

Edit: I’m doing an effortpost on antivax soon and the rumor spreading/information sharing part is super relevant here. I’ll post that part of it here when it’s ready.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 31, 2019

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Discendo Vox posted:

I got that one recently too; might be an ad buy. When was it published?

Edit: I’m doing an effortpost on antivax soon and the rumor spreading/information sharing part is super relevant here. I’ll post that part of it here when it’s ready.

Can’t mark it not interested either.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I've seen it a lot on this very forum with respect to Ann Coulter, who is an awful human being but not trans.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

zoux posted:

That reminds me, I was watching SciManDan vids and this one is hilarious because he's reviewing some idiot called RedPill Philosophy, who goes on and on about how he's got "high IQ"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ5rVRpKcLQ

This is how I imagine everyone who goes on about IQ acts.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

JonathonSpectre posted:

Too bad old William Tecumseh didn't have access to napalm and nukes.

:yikes:

curious
Mar 14, 2007

"Hey, I got one of my paperwork guys complaining about DEMON PILES."

The Chairman posted:

Trump gave his blessing to re-open the government for a few weeks, and the Qanon Qrew isn't happy

https://twitter.com/rothschildmd/status/1088881685230280704

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
So did they ever catch that guy who lit the curtains at Comet Ping Pong on fire? I mean the guy is clearly a laughably inept conspiracy terrorist, but still, someone was crazy and motivated enough to try and burn down the restaurant with people inside; who knows what that particular nut might do next if they just slipped away into the night.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
They should probably change their name at this point.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

RatHat posted:

That would not help

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ yeah "oh they changed names, they must want to hide SOMETHING, here is their new name, internet" - Some wwg1wga idiot

RatHat posted:

I wouldn't be surprised that they believe that insane conspiracy is like the best promotional campaign they ever had.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 1, 2019

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

RatHat posted:

Apparently they had security guards at one point, but then removed them after a year or so.

Toplowtech posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ yeah "oh they changed names, they must want to hide SOMETHING, here is their new name, internet" - Some wwg1wga idiot

I wouldn't be surprised that they believe that insane conspiracy is like the best promotional campaign they ever had.

But I doubt the owner dude much likes being filmed trying to walk down the street while conspiracy loons yell at him and hold up pictures of his goddaughter asking if he raped her.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Sucrose posted:

But I doubt the owner dude much likes being filmed trying to walk down the street while conspiracy loons yell at him and hold up pictures of his goddaughter asking if he raped her.
Yeah the security concerns coming from that bunch of insane idiots must surpass the sweetness of any money they helped generate.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/travis_view/status/1091408433151041536

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Reptar is fake in the world of Rugrats, though. It’s a media franchise. I’m surprised they’re not obsessing over Tommy’s (((grandfather))) and the Passover special he narrated.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

If the reptillians predate humanity, and have been controlling our society since the dawn of time, perhaps they are the true masters of Earth. Why are we justified in fighting against our creators? We're an infestation upon their planet, they're simply trying to make use of the pests rather than eradicating them.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I glorify Yakub as his glorious creation in yelling at the checkout girl for not going faster and in each time I cross the street to avoid passing a negro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

No, basically every modern Freedom of Information release continues to confirm that being a white supremacist terrorist is basically the only way to ensure your FBI file reads VICTIM: NEEDS LOVE AND TENDER SYMPATHY, I'm pretty sure the most immediate, practical, direct mass murder threat from these dipshits will not be acted on.

The FBI will spy on us instead for looking at those poor folks funny.

E: unless that's what the image is supposed to represent. I dunno, I'm not up on my Q-Bert.