Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I have enjoyed several PbtA games, but there are a lot of bad homebrews for it, and a lot of bad homebrew for existing games. It's a bit akin to 4e in that the system is straightforward and it's easy to homebrew, but the bar for really adding anything good and useful is much higher and requires a higher degree of competence.

It also disappoints me that I can't think of a way to houserule existing stuff without rewriting it, and I don't have the design skills to reformat playbooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Blades?

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Are we talking about Kaidan: A a japanese ghost story?

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
Coincidentally, I’m running a weekly Blades campaign right now, and Blades are amazing, even if their PbtA affiliation is debatable (and I also would prefer to have some means of reining in the Gather Information portion).
Coincidentally, I’m also playing in a weekly Legacy 2e campaign, and it’s amazing too, even while in a different manner.

Foglet fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Dec 23, 2019

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Pollyanna posted:

Those are fine too! I kinda wish we had more ZX games.

PM terminusest13, he got done with a Mega Man X -esque RPG not too long ago. He may have posted about it on his blog too, I don't remember.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Halloween Jack posted:

Hot take: PbtA is the indie D20.

This take feels pretty lukewarm tbh. Like... you're not wrong.

(And I say this as someone who loves PbtA and has written a fairly successful game based on it.)

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Is there a Monsterpocalypse thread floating around? I couldn't find one.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Foglet posted:

Coincidentally, I’m running a weekly Blades campaign right now, and Blades are amazing, even if their PbtA affiliation is debatable

I figured being listed here meant something, but I could be wrong

http://apocalypse-world.com/pbta/games/title/Blades_in_the_Dark

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Is there a Monsterpocalypse thread floating around? I couldn't find one.

We just talk about it in the warmachine/hordes thread

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
I like City of Mist, even if the core book is way too loving long.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

I figured being listed here meant something, but I could be wrong

http://apocalypse-world.com/pbta/games/title/Blades_in_the_Dark

It doesn't use the exact system but it uses the general design principles and GM principles, and is considered a PbtA game both by Harper and Baker.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lemon-Lime posted:

It doesn't use the exact system but it uses the general design principles and GM principles, and is considered a PbtA game both by Harper and Baker.

I’ll take it!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
PBTA is by design a pretty sparse framework which can be adapted to a lot of different genres and forms of play by putting a lot of extra effort in to model the concepts you want. This is the opposite of what D20 was trying to achieve, which was large-scale inter-compatibility; something that was a failure state for D20 is something that PBTA acknowledges from the start.

If I were going to disparagingly compare a rules-light system to D20 it would probably be FATE, which can model anything! But whatever it models will always play like FATE. :barf:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I didn't want to be too cruel to a broad swath of indie games, but I've had more fun hacking FUDGE itself into different things than trying to get people into Fate.

Fate kinda rubs me the wrong way because of how it was sold to people when it came out. It was a breath of fresh air compared to D20, but...so I read a simple "How to Grok Fate" pamphlet, and it's like "PC tags his Aspect to get a bonus. He asks the GM if this NPC has a specific Aspect, the GM says sure whatever, so he tags that to get a bonus. Here's an overcomplicated example of how to inflict a negative Aspect so you can tag it."

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 31, 2019

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If I were going to disparagingly compare a rules-light system to D20 it would probably be FATE, which can model anything! But whatever it models will always play like FATE. :barf:

As much as generic systems suck, Fate is at least 100% upfront about what type of stuff works well with the way Fate plays.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Pollyanna posted:

Rick and Morty fans, bad opinions, sky blue

Also I really kinda want to play a Mega Man themed RPG. Make your own Robot Master!

Yeah that would be a fun idea, seems like the kind of thing that Strike would be perfect for, that or some slight tweaking of Battle Century G

Roadie posted:

The next one will be a gritty supernatural noir game where all the PCs are empowered by astral spirits of tokusatsu giant monsters.

That actually sounds kinda cool though

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Dawgstar posted:

The creator may have Both Sides'd Snack Zabbath's awfulness, but Masks is really good.

Publisher, not creator. Masks was created by Brendan Conway and published by Magpie, the owner of which, Mark Diaz Truman, wrote the essay you're talking about.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember there was this guy on the RPGnet forums who was like "It's obvious that CoC D20 is meant for running action horror games" and used it to play Resident Evil, and posted Actual Plays, and his fun drove people loving crazy.
was he also the guy who posted house rules for colonial marines fighting aliens with it?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember there was this guy on the RPGnet forums who was like "It's obvious that CoC D20 is meant for running action horror games" and used it to play Resident Evil, and posted Actual Plays, and his fun drove people loving crazy.

this guy owns

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
American Badass is an RPGnet legend. Some stay he's still playing "balls out" to this day.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
American Badass was honestly my favorite poster and I still miss him.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I meant to add that the phrases "Savage Worlds plays FAST and FURIOUS!" and "I'd use Adventure!" still make my blood pressure rise for no good reason.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

American Badass is an RPGnet legend. Some stay he's still playing "balls out" to this day.

I can only hope this is right. Godspeed.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

I meant to add that the phrases "Savage Worlds plays FAST and FURIOUS!" and "I'd use Adventure!" still make my blood pressure rise for no good reason.

Something about Savage Worlds saying that is pretty funny considering it has a boating skill.

Death to skill lists.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Wasn't one of American Badass' games about people running around shooting monsters in a swamp? I can only picture him as Florida Man on a fanboat with fistfuls of dice.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Halloween Jack posted:

My group used Adventure! For everything in college and we had a drat good time.
:colbert:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

LeSquide posted:

My group used Adventure! For everything in college and we had a drat good time.
:colbert:

Yes well my group used BESM for everything college and we had a drat good time that, in hindsight, seems impossible.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

The Deleter posted:

Death to skill lists.

Speaking of, does anyone know of any hacks of the FG SWRPG that keep the dice but jettison the skill lists? Im a big fan of the dice system of the game but less than thrilled with...pretty much everything else about it.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
there was a great funeral for drizzt and jimmy played stairway to heaven on his electric guitar, there was not a dry eye in all of mythril hall as the etherial song eccoed throughout it.

Call of Cthulhu D20 is the best edition.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
who the gently caress is elminster

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Farg posted:

who the gently caress is elminster

Spanish for the minister

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
oh he's a meta plot dude in forgotten realms. has anyone ever cared about a meta plot? It seems so gosh gently caress stupid of an idea for a game

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

some realms should stay forgotten

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Farg posted:

oh he's a meta plot dude in forgotten realms. has anyone ever cared about a meta plot? It seems so gosh gently caress stupid of an idea for a game

RPGs in the 90's were all about the metaplot. To the point that many splats were designed around how your pcs could be there when the real heroes did the important things, or had plot explanations for why they couldn't be there (including 'actually this was charlie work, the important stuff was happening elsewhere) but sometimes if you were lucky you were rescuing the real important characters or fetching something for them.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Coolness Averted posted:

RPGs in the 90's were all about the metaplot. To the point that many splats were designed around how your pcs could be there when the real heroes did the important things, or had plot explanations for why they couldn't be there (including 'actually this was charlie work, the important stuff was happening elsewhere) but sometimes if you were lucky you were rescuing the real important characters or fetching something for them.

Can you name a particularly egregious example? I want to track one down and see this for myself

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

Can you name a particularly egregious example? I want to track one down and see this for myself

Deadlands was a fun one, where there were rules for one of the big bads of the setting to actively start hunting down your characters once they got too strong.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

BattleMaster posted:

White Wolf was king and queen of dumb metaplot, and Aberrant in particular had a ridiculously high proportion of "watch NPCs cooler than you do stuff" adventures. Deadlands also chronically suffered similar problems.

That said, most of White Wolf's metaplot was less about forcing PCs to do certain things, and more just the writers smashing their favorite action figures together and acting like everyone else should care. And boy, no matter how totally irrelevant to most games they were, they sure built a sizable audience of people who did indeed care. Don't get me wrong, it could be dumb fun following and piecing together that stuff, and every rare once-in-a-while even going bugfuck enough with a game to make those things relevant to at-table play. It was just also one of those things White Wolf and their ilk did that made their games such a self-contradictory mess.

The most egregious White Wolf example not from Aberrant is probably the Samuel Haight storyline, which absolutely dripped with "your PCs actions for this entire adventure module turn out to be pointless, now please watch this 30-minute cutscene of all the important NPCs getting poo poo done." Haight was also one of the weirdest, worstest over-the-top NPCs. Here's a rundown I did from the WoD thread:

That Old Tree posted:

Roland Jones posted:

That is amazing, and awful. Thank you for enlightening(?) me.

A Somewhat Comprehensive History of Samuel Haight
Even in his first appearance in Valkenburg Foundation, Haight was already edging into "WTF crossover!?!" territory, and it quickly spiraled out of control from there. He resented being just some kinfolk, and he tried to prove himself in various (mortal) ways that didn't pan out. Eventually he was like "gently caress all ya'll, I'm gonna make myself a werewolf" and traveled the world seeking magical knowledge.

This is how he came to find and kill a Tremere and steal his grimoires. Which are apparently enough to teach you some blood magic. So even "base-line" Haight has some powerful evil Fetishes and loving vampire Thaumaturgy.

At the end of his first appearance he successfully uses lupus garou pelts in a ritual to become a werewolf and then…he auto-escapes. This dude who should absolutely be a crazy boss fight uses his super one-of-a-kind fetish to escape, and even if the PC group has the wherewithal to follow him, he escapes even harder.

Unfortunately, his Exit 2: Umbra Boogaloo drives him crazy (crazier?) and traps him in some ancient demon-prison. Fortunately, per Storytellers Handbook to the Sabbat, some crazy vampires just so happen to be trying to summon that demon. Things go awry, but this allows Haight to escape.

Then he shows up in Rage Across the Amazon, where he has already acquired beforehand and off-screen a memory-stealing magical sword. This is because your PCs are supposed to once again play catch-up as he seeks to slay El Dorado, who it turns out is a mage living in "the Dorado Realm" which is exactly like the legend of El Dorado but not also a person. Haight wants to learn Sphere magic. Anyway, as before, your PCs can beat him to Dorado or not, it doesn't matter because this is really the story of how badass Haight is and he struggles with Dorado for a few moments before stabbing him in the heart the end. But wait! Dorado's death weakens the Realm and Wyld spirits are here to gently caress this poo poo up, for some reason. Also the sword isn't wicked awesome enough to contain Dorado's rank coolness, so it explodes. Yet Haight survives:

haha gently caress you posted:

There is absolutely no chance that the pack could locate him, even if they tried.

So Haight went to all this trouble to learn Sphere magick and his cool magic sword exploded because it wasn't good enough! Except wait:

no really gently caress you posted:

but the fetish has granted Samuel Haight rudimentary knowledge in several Spheres of Power. Haight now understands the ways of the mages and the principles involved in using magick. What he will do with this knowledge remains to be seen in his next adventure…

We're not done yet because he then shows up in Book of Chantries. You see he only has rudimentary knowledge of the Spheres, and he wants more. So he tries to get in good with a chantry detailed in the book, but everyone's like "holy poo poo no get out of here" and so he and his lackey Skin-Dancers (kinfolk turned into werewolves like him, he's trying to start his own tribe) set about slaying. He gets to the World Tree at the center of the chantry and rips it apart, giving him infinite Quintessence for the scene. And, I guess, more knowledge. (!?!?) Finally, he'll be able to surpass his totally rudimentary and weak understanding of the Spheres, which I forgot to say earlier are Arete 4, Correspondence 3, Entropy 3, Forces 3, Life 2, Matter 3, Prime 2, Spirit 4, and they'll stay that way from here on out.

What a poo-head beginner's understanding of Sphere magick! Anyway that piece he tore off the World Tree is now a cool artifact staff that gives him crazy countermagic powers and an enormous amount of Quintessence. Unfortunately he doesn't realize that the staff is unstable, and it will be his undoing.

He shows up in New Orleans by Night to be a source of information as a side-part of the story where the summary says "if the players can convince him not to become a vampire he gives them the information they want" but then in the actual detailed section that gives his crazy stats and everything you just have to emo-ly answer his questions about ~the eternal night~ and he says "gently caress being a vampire. Here's the info you wanted. I'm out!" Whatever.

Finally, he is the centerpiece antagonist of an entire book: The Chaos Factor. He's going to find and devour an antediluvian in Mexico! Like in the adventure featuring him in Rage Across the Amazon, ultimately the PCs get to play audience to the same basic climax no matter what they do. Haight is a dumbass and doesn't know the difference between a methuselah and an antediluvian, but it's still pretty baller that he found Shaitan, which might be the first Ba'ali depending on how you take the bloodline's backstory. No matter what, Shaitan gets the gently caress out of there, though you are given the chance to let some of your PCs get pasted by him if they want to try it. Finally, whether he's loving with Shaitan or the PCs, Haight overuses his World Tree staff and it explodes spectacularly, killing him (and potentially most/all of the PCs!).

But wait! There's more! In Wraith's Book of Legions there's an off-hand mention that he got turned into an ashtray because the soulforgers like to poo poo on people who get too big for their britches. And then, finally-finally-for real, the ashtray is swept into Oblivion by the Final Maelstrom, hitting a mage who happens to be in the Underworld during the novel Judgement Day.

He worked for/with, and betrayed, Pentex and the Black Spiral Dancers at various points in all this.

Oh, and he gave his DNA to an evil corporation to make a clone of himself.

PS All the specific books I mentioned above came out in 1993-1994, except for Book of Legions (1998) and Judgment Day (2004). So even though his first appearance was honestly tame and actually a little compelling and a good story-hook for a normal WtA game, it seems like his entire horeshit "arc" was planned from the very beginning. I love it, and I hate it, but I love it, too. According to Phil Brucato in an interview, Haight was meant to be a joke the entire time.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 2, 2019

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
7th Sea had a metaplot where it turned out that the source of magic in the fantasy swashbuckling RPG was aliens.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Even going back to the Gygax era there was lovely "And the gods and rulers of the setting are my players' old characters! And those cool spells are named after them!"
But it was really the 90's where it ramped into the metaplot bleeding into the adventure modules.
Although Planescape started the whole thing off with Lady of Pain as the ultimate unbeatable ruler you could never really outsmart, but could hopefully avoid the wrath of. White Wolf is where all of the worst examples I can think of come from. Partially because it was the nerdgame line I really liked.

I was going to mention Sam, but That Oak Tree pretty much covered it, and it's funny because yeah his first introduction was in a pretty decent adventure supplement that had 4 different adventure stories that all ended on pretty rail-roady terms and left storyhooks. He's just the big bad of the 3rd story as a "Most Dangerous game" sort big game hunter that's behind a murder mystery, and yeah makes a decent-ish villain specifically setup so you can either decide his 'escape' kills him, or use him again as a recurring villain now that he's a werewolf too.

Were you sure about the ash tray thing though? I thought that was Hitler. But yeah the Wraith writers specifically really hated most of the crossover junk and were where most of the folks who could reign in the most puerile urges of the other White Wolf writers and players wound up, so you'd see them pretty consistently writing the "No, you can't use <real world human monster> as the villain in your game. They're confirmed dead, and confirmed soulforged into furniture." type errata

But a few things to add for context
Sam served as a way for them to link their games. I previously had an old 1st or 2nd e book with an advert for "The Chaos Factor" and it was primarily hyped as the first full crossover splat/adventure for all of their WoD games. Since they'd built him up as a guy that had made enemies among every faction/game. This was also before Changeling launched and I think just after wraith.

The "Oh it was a gag character, not meant to be taken seriously" is bullshit, or at least something where some writers didn't get the memo and the company was more than happy to milk it for cash. At best I see it as a "He's a parody of the players we hate the most." One quirk about the oWoD was the writers made hybrids terrible or insta-die as a solution to their players gravitating towards cliches and silliness like "I wanna be a vampire elf! Or my werewolf also has reality altering magick!" The few that were able to actually exist were all nuetered and social outcasts. But people still kinda liked that as a concept (especially since their main demographic were the angsty gothy or punky nerds). So they wrote this NPC who not only got to be a full on hybrid the players weren't allowed to be, but got a buttload of the benefits you weren't allowed and almost none of the downsides. Sam had the ritual that basically made him a werewolf, but wasn't technically one, so got magick (limited to living humans in oWoD) but also got access to vampire stuff by being a ghoul (human who drinks vampire blood and gets some powers but gets addicted/becomes a slave to any single vampire the feed from multiple times) vampire hunter. And since he was born kinfolk and learned hedge magic (weaker stuff any mortal can learn) he knows enough about how the WoD works.

Although I nominate their entire White Wolf historical lines for being even worse in the "You're just set pieces for the metaplot NPCs," since these games were all launched after the modern game settings and were part of the main timeline. So baked into the canon of say Vampire: the Dark Ages you've got; which clans survive, and which modern factions are founded by which powerful NPCs who are alive in the modern setting and running them (unlike your PCs). Still though, you could always hope the Storyteller let you at least have impact and legacy, like maybe your characters sired the NPCs who run your modern game's city, or were there when the treaties that created the modern Camarilla and Sabbat broke down! You couldn't influence it, but you could be there.

Wraith: the Great War gets special mention for wrapping up with "And then there's a memory wipe, so the entire period you played in (and therefore your PC's entire contributions) are forgotten"

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Feb 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The Lady of Pain's kind of a different thing, because her whole point is to let low-level PCs do low-level PC things without getting constantly owned by the local Elminsters.

This may not have been executed perfectly or consistently.