Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

TheBalor posted:

So to all outsiders, keep it coming. Move to Oregon! Come and stay! Save our children from their heritage!

Be careful what you wish for.

In the 1920's, Southerners moved to Oregon and brought the Klan with them. The locals, seeing it as an all American fraternal organization with cool code names and secret handshakes, joined in droves. They even got a governor elected to... chase out Catholic schools.

When I was a teenager, it was Sharps and Skinheads attacking each other in Portland. And now Patriot Prayer is here to carve out a homeland.

Tetrabor posted:

They moved here for rain?

I guess Arizona snowbirds would like it here for summer, but it's by no means a temperate climate.

Oregon (at least, west of the Cascades) doesn't have the blizzards and deep freezes of the north east and midwest. It doesn't have the humidity and hurricanes of the south. It doesn't have the dry heat of the south west.

It is the most reliably mild climate in the US. The only thing that can really gently caress it up are volcanoes and earthquakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

Oregon (at least, west of the Cascades) doesn't have the blizzards and deep freezes of the north east and midwest. It doesn't have the humidity and hurricanes of the south. It doesn't have the dry heat of the south west.

It is the most reliably mild climate in the US. The only thing that can really gently caress it up are volcanoes and earthquakes.

My man Northeastern blizzards and freezes along the coast really aren't remarkable in the least, let alone on the apocalyptic level of the Midwest.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

that thread is hilarious. it's got everything short of her being asked for her social security number and checking account. what an eager to please lady.

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
Did Emily get funding recently? I don't see a donation link anymore.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

Be careful what you wish for.

In the 1920's, Southerners moved to Oregon and brought the Klan with them. The locals, seeing it as an all American fraternal organization with cool code names and secret handshakes, joined in droves. They even got a governor elected to... chase out Catholic schools.

When I was a teenager, it was Sharps and Skinheads attacking each other in Portland. And now Patriot Prayer is here to carve out a homeland.

Patriot Prayer is a gaggle of fuckups who don't even live here, and the vast majority of the immigration to Oregon is from more liberal areas of the country. You're giving them way too much credit when you say "carve out a homeland", as if they're Normans landing by the thousand in Sicily. They're the dregs of the dregs, and frankly I don't expect them to hold together past the inevitable prosecutions when they go too far even for Portland's racist police force.

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit
patriot prayer are the little brothers of the nazi shitheads who drove into town to beat up "queers" in the 80s & 90s who are the sons of the redneck shitheads who drove into town to beat up "longhaired queers" in the 60s and 70s

it's a very old struggle

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit
hell even jello biafra talked about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z14iLqis5sw

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Al ! posted:

patriot prayer are the little brothers of the nazi shitheads who drove into town to beat up "queers" in the 80s & 90s who are the sons of the redneck shitheads who drove into town to beat up "longhaired queers" in the 60s and 70s

it's a very old struggle

Yeah, I mean, they're definitely a problem, but not in any way a new one beyond media attention.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Yeah patriot prayer is able to have such a large media presence not because there's a lot of them and they're organized, but because the Portland police are more willing to act as their support team than cops in other places.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Bushiz posted:

Yeah patriot prayer is able to have such a large media presence not because there's a lot of them and they're organized, but because the Portland police are more willing to act as their support team than cops in other places.

I will be interested to see how it goes, because Ted Wheeler seems like a uniquely lovely mayor. A more decisive leader would have cracked down on Gibson's goons or, more likely, arrested prosecuted some of both them and Portland's large anarchist community. He's such an easily led dupe, though, that he made a half-hearted, flailing attempt to criminalize antifa and only antifa, and then gave up forever.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

TheBalor posted:

I will be interested to see how it goes, because Ted Wheeler seems like a uniquely lovely mayor. A more decisive leader would have cracked down on Gibson's goons or, more likely, arrested prosecuted some of both them and Portland's large anarchist community. He's such an easily led dupe, though, that he made a half-hearted, flailing attempt to criminalize antifa and only antifa, and then gave up forever.

ted wheeler literally, literally had a baby maced at a peaceful protest at city hall

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Al! posted:

ted wheeler literally, literally had a baby maced at a peaceful protest at city hall

Speaking of, is there any sign of how the next mayoral election is going to turn out? I can't imagine he wants another spin at the wheel, but it doesn't matter if the PDX democratic party is one of those sewn-up outfits by and for hacks, where only time-servers and donors get a chance at the brass ring.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Mr Interweb posted:

Question: was the anti-PC movement in the 90s as dumb as the one we have now?

The 90s anti-PC stuff was heavily enmeshed in the overarching nihilism that permeated 90s culture, and while it was dumb, it didn't feel aggressively dumb and as organized as the current strain of anti-PC bullshit.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The 90s assault on people asking for better treatment and more inclusivity was like a big performative sigh while rolling their eyes and saying jeeeeeeeez what noooooooow

the 2010's assault on people asking for better treatment is....more like actual assault.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

TheBalor posted:

Patriot Prayer is a gaggle of fuckups who don't even live here, and the vast majority of the immigration to Oregon is from more liberal areas of the country. You're giving them way too much credit when you say "carve out a homeland", as if they're Normans landing by the thousand in Sicily. They're the dregs of the dregs, and frankly I don't expect them to hold together past the inevitable prosecutions when they go too far even for Portland's racist police force.

Not so much giving them undue credit as just taking them at face value. They want a space where they can be openly fascist.

So far they have survived one of their fellow travelers stabbing 2 people to death on a Max train. At this point, its asking how many more people have to die before they are completely shut down.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

that Republican club in manhattan where the proud boys showed up a few months ago had a meeting to elect a new president on monday. i'm not sure how many people showed up to protest but i know that one local Democratic club emailed its members to do just that

oh btw, the guy who invited gavin mcinnes to speak there won the club's election

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

Not so much giving them undue credit as just taking them at face value. They want a space where they can be openly fascist.

So far they have survived one of their fellow travelers stabbing 2 people to death on a Max train. At this point, its asking how many more people have to die before they are completely shut down.

its going to take electing a mayor who isn't a fash-sympathizing left-hating centrist who can crack down on the police department for openly collaborating with people from out of town who pose a clear and present danger to the citizens of the city, and and also who won't brutalize legitimate protest movements like abolish ICE

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

yorkinshire posted:

Did Emily get funding recently? I don't see a donation link anymore.
A couple of weeks ago, she tweeted a thread going over costs and such for First Vigil. Short version: she's fine for money and would rather people give theirs to someone else. I'd guess it's gone for that reason.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/FordFischer/status/1091144287964880900

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Spergin Morlock posted:

The same thing happened in Arizona except it was an endless stream of conservative midwestern or canadian retirees moving in and keeping the average age up. There was also a big surge of right wing militia gun nut types who moved in while arpaio was in office and the SB1070 crap happened. The younger people (native and new) trend left but there are so many old people and right wingers constantly showing up that the state never quite turns blue. There's also a ton of orange county people who got priced out of california but still wanted to live in a stupid desert so there's that too.

please stop sending your racist parents to arizona to die

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Ramadu posted:

please stop sending your racist parents to arizona to die

Put up a tax on social security benefits, that'll take care of the problem real quick.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
this group in arizona hasn't gotten much attention but worth noting. the leaders were posting plans of gallego's house on facebook "including street names and notes about where walls and gates were located." i believe someone associated with this climbed a tower and wouldn't come down because he was freaking out about immigrant pizzagate camps in the desert

saw a militia researcher on twitter last year point out that the "patriot" movement is really fragmented right now. there's no single national cause to rally them so they're going on their little local crusades. i'd put patriot prayer in this category.

https://twitter.com/ArizonaMirror/status/1091089601110798336

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

this group in arizona hasn't gotten much attention but worth noting. the leaders were posting plans of gallego's house on facebook "including street names and notes about where walls and gates were located." i believe someone associated with this climbed a tower and wouldn't come down because he was freaking out about immigrant pizzagate camps in the desert

saw a militia researcher on twitter last year point out that the "patriot" movement is really fragmented right now. there's no single national cause to rally them so they're going on their little local crusades. i'd put patriot prayer in this category.

Veterans on Patrol is the group who climed the tower in Tucson and found the rape trees and the clinton child sex camps in the desert.

JJ Mcnabb was the one who was talking about it and shes a pro follow for the insanity of the militia groups

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Ramadu posted:

JJ Mcnabb

I know this isn't her fault, but every time I read her name I have to question whether or not she's also an NFL player.

also it's JJ MacNab

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

It fascinates me just how much of the far right is set-up as a huge grift machine constantly in search of new marks.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Zeroisanumber posted:

It fascinates me just how much of the far right is set-up as a huge grift machine constantly in search of new marks.
this is what's going on in houston:

https://twitter.com/erikwdavis/status/1091034129486016513

doc greene is a right-wing radio host who is in the same league as gibson / arizona whackjobs / etc. wears pinochet t-shirts to demos.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Thought this was an interesting exchange. Taken from the comments section in one of Destiny's recent videos:

quote:

@Michael Farrell Lets be real, at this point not wanting to slaughter an entire group of people is a left wing value.

quote:

@roshougon YEP today's right wing is all in on ethnic cleansing, look at the wall and the border fiasco

Michael Farrell posted:

@roshougon There are plenty on the right who do not (directly at least) advocate genocide

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Scully (about the talking elevator): It must be for the visually-impaired.
Mulder: How do you like that? A politically-correct elevator

chris carter is totally a garrison type chud right? i remembe r a plot beat in maybe an episode or the film being doing and OKC bombing false flag to cover up evidence of aliens controlling government. like straight alex jones poo poo

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

cargo cult posted:

chris carter is totally a garrison type chud right? i remembe r a plot beat in maybe an episode or the film being doing and OKC bombing false flag to cover up evidence of aliens controlling government. like straight alex jones poo poo

He's more from the Art Bell side of conspiracy-minded wackadoos, to the point where he gave Art a small role as himself in an episode of Millennium.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Mr Interweb posted:

Thought this was an interesting exchange. Taken from the comments section in one of Destiny's recent videos:

oh, they only indirectly advocate genocide, which makes it ok

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
in streaming news...

http://boards.4chan.org/r9k/thread/50729185

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APm-egYzaUU

not as funny as the destiny debate because jessie was intimated by hasans size, he only called him a beta once in relation to voting for hillary

hasan made some got some good hits in, made jlp angry a few times and called him uncle ruckus to his face. they also cut some of his responses and uh added stuff in, heres some highlights

https://clips.twitch.tv/SuspiciousUninterestedChoughOSkomodo
https://clips.twitch.tv/SneakyHedonisticCormorantAMPTropPunch

if you want to see what type of people work on a show like jessies, wonder no more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i55LaCP-kSc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZIHfOZqrIU

i guess conservative men fall prey too

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

loving NORMIES STEALING OUR ROASTIES!!! GODDAAAAAMN! GET OUT OF MY YOUTUUUUBE!!!! REEEEEEEEEE! REEEEEEEEEE!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

this is what's going on in houston:

doc greene is a right-wing radio host who is in the same league as gibson / arizona whackjobs / etc. wears pinochet t-shirts to demos.

Cool, the "drag queens are raping kids in the library so I am going to lead an armed invasion" dude just gets to walk away to do it again, just this time successfully

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

lmao

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
gently caress logic just look at his jaw

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I thought roasties were bad because they had too much sex.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Mr Interweb posted:

Question: was the anti-PC movement in the 90s as dumb as the one we have now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhno9sBWI88

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

https://streamable.com/u116e
Not the first time the gals be falling for Hassan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIZwyQCVn_s
Original meme in the description.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Tokamak posted:

I thought roasties were bad because they had too much sex.

but if i donate enough money...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gamers are Nazis