Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

HardDiskD posted:

... can landlords just turn off utilities for tenants like that?

Nope.

But in America they do anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

HardDiskD posted:

I took that he turned down the thermostat. If you’re in a house that’s been divided into several apartments, usually you have shared HVAC that’s ultimately controlled by the landlord. I lived in something similar in Iowa City when I went to the University of Iowa. We had shared boiler for heat, so we could control it on the radiators so it wasn’t like he could centrally reduce the heat. Plus, while he could be slow off the starting line to fix non-emergency stuff, he was a pretty nice guy.

What this guy’s landlord did was a super dick move, however.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
It's also worth noting that there are places that are on limited gas because of the extreme temperatures and extended usage spikes, so it's equally possible that the land lord is responding to a request from the utilities people and the OP posting is like that one town that said "gently caress your drought warning, I'm filling my swimming pool out of spite"

(nobody knows for sure since OP never responded to followup questions for details, but other MN residents were confirming such requests were being sent out by utility providers)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

HardDiskD posted:

No. Except it doesn't say off, it says down. Even that could be a problem depending on the local tenent's rights.

But go back a few pages . . .

jemand posted:

Apparently everyone in MI using gas heat is being asked to keep thermostats down through Friday because of the above incident:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/macomb-county/2019/01/30/no-injuries-after-fire-armada-natural-gas-facility/2721353002/

Elder Postsman posted:

Xcel is asking us to do that here in Minnesota too.

Put those together and it is possible that the landlord did turn down the heat, but not to be an rear end in a top hat. Everyone is supposed to turn down the heat and put on a sweater to help prevent a total collapse of the system.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ponzicar posted:

I just hope that fan doesn't fall forward. Also, having to reach over the range to reach the controls seems like a really lovely design as well; I've only ever seen the knobs in the front.

They're generally on the front on gas ranges, frequently on the back on electric ranges.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Phanatic posted:

They're generally on the front on gas ranges, frequently on the back on electric ranges.

Open flames I’d guess. I took off the knobs when my kids were little.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Degloving

:nms: https://imgur.com/gallery/tJaLIIJ :nms:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Oh dear god why I do I click.

I rented from a married couple, one of whom worked in a microbiology lab, and the other did carpentry. They got ring tattoos because neither of them could wear rings at work.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Lol at the way it's all bunched up at the top. It looks like a fat person struggling to get a shirt off.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

https://twitter.com/CJcued/status/1091002228482154497

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
They're insulating stairs in Virginia, you'd think they'd be able to send some over as aid for outlets like this.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
No insulation in the garage ceiling?

That strange guy
Dec 14, 2014

It's not strange if we never mention it again.

HardDiskD posted:

No but they do.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
I don't see what all the fuss is about

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I saw a reddit video this morning where some semi was running cars off the road then he I guess got into police standoff and he had a machete I thought of this thread, sorry I can’t link the video I’m working

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
How did it end?

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

El_Elegante posted:

How did it end?

https://www.wrbl.com/news/national/police-identify-truck-driver-with-machete-in-i-10-standoff/1741116712

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HeOeJ4wiBnE&feature=youtu.be

This is it, though it does not show the police involvement and I guess he was doing this to multiple people

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
Well, this is a bit more OSHA than I would hope.

quote:

THE TRUMP administration has disclosed that it secretly shipped weapons-grade plutonium from South Carolina to Nevada, sparking uproar from state officials who have long opposed federal efforts to store the radioactive material there.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:thunk:

Let’s go with Meth for 500, Alex.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

That's messed up but Yucca Mountain needs to be taken into operation, the alternative is far more dangerous (which is leaving the spent fuel on site at reactors).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the state of nevada is very concerned that they be informed of the shipment ahead of time so they can work out strategies to deal with any potential mishaps. they'll have to send the police, of course, and some fire trucks, and i'd imagine that those people will need some sort of dust masks and probably gloves, etc. these things take planning

quote:

"To put the health and well-being of millions of people at risk due to the transportation into Nevada, without giving us the opportunity to prepare in case there would've been a mishap along the way, I think it was irresponsible and reckless on behalf of the department," The Nevada Independent quoted Sisolak as saying.

on an unrelated note, here is a nuclear fuel cask surviving being hit by a rocket-propelled locomotive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu1YFshFuI4

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Feb 1, 2019

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HardDiskD posted:

The problem solves itself when you fix your loving central heating, turns out.

hahahahaha what's a vapor barrier precious

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Feb 1, 2019

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

hahahahaha what's a vapor barrier precious

Isn't that the room humidity condensing and freezing to the outlet?
The answer is shoddy insulation.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/ipumne2.mp4

Truck driver ain't got time for this poo poo.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Powershift posted:

The driver was having a break by the other car.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Powershift posted:

Needs more Yakkity Sax

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Didn't dozens of houses explode in a town in the US only a few months ago because lovely outdated gas network and poor maintenance?
So I'm sad to say I'm not surprised to see how gas supply is being limited currently with the snow.

You can bet industrial gas supplies are working in overtime though. Can't let a bit of extreme Antarctic cold get in the way of making a profit.

But gently caress the general population and workers right?

US infrastructure is loving :laffo:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

Didn't dozens of houses explode in a town in the US only a few months ago because lovely outdated gas network and poor maintenance?
So I'm sad to say I'm not surprised to see how gas supply is being limited currently with the snow.

You can bet industrial gas supplies are working in overtime though. Can't let a bit of extreme Antarctic cold get in the way of making a profit.

But gently caress the general population and workers right?

US infrastructure is loving :laffo:

GM, Chrysler and Ford all suspended production and cancelled shifts, but don't let facts get in the way of your righteous indignation.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

Jabor posted:

GM, Chrysler and Ford all suspended production and cancelled shifts, but don't let facts get in the way of your righteous indignation.

wow well gently caress you for proving me wrong buddy :mad:

Seriously though, you can bet a lot of industries put a lot of pressure on people to get into work and gave zero fucks. It happens in every extreme weather event. Not just in the US either.
Mostly in low paying jobs.

Last year we had extreme snows, and several large storms yet people were being threatened with losing their job if they didn't show up.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

I'm so glad someone finally invented and made popular silicone bands. cheap, easy to clean, will rip off probably before your skin does.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Jabor posted:

I had to work, so take it as you will. GM, Chrysler, and Ford would also have to deal with an angry as gently caress union if they pulled that stunt if the office workers got off but the factory had to work.

Our infrastructure is a joke of deferred maintenance. A big part is due to he fact that usually the first thing to get gutted in budgets is the DoT, because the ill effects don't show up for a few years (unless you're Missouri). The other thing is it's "Save a buck now, pay 10 later". I had a regular come in, say they bought a gas company in Chicago, and tell them "hey, we gotta jack up rates because your poo poo is so outdated we need extra money to fix it." and a lot of whining ensued. I'm sure that whining stopped after what happened in Boston.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Posting here because it appears to be a work event. Just noticed all the babies but who has a weirdly empty room in what looks like an office building? Anyhow.

https://i.imgur.com/5W0ZHxh.gifv

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

LifeSunDeath posted:

I'm so glad someone finally invented and made popular silicone bands. cheap, easy to clean, will rip off probably before your skin does.

Yep, everyone thinks they're invincible right up until they're not.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

iospace posted:

I had to work, so take it as you will. GM, Chrysler, and Ford would also have to deal with an angry as gently caress union if they pulled that stunt if the office workers got off but the factory had to work.

Our infrastructure is a joke of deferred maintenance. A big part is due to he fact that usually the first thing to get gutted in budgets is the DoT, because the ill effects don't show up for a few years (unless you're Missouri). The other thing is it's "Save a buck now, pay 10 later". I had a regular come in, say they bought a gas company in Chicago, and tell them "hey, we gotta jack up rates because your poo poo is so outdated we need extra money to fix it." and a lot of whining ensued. I'm sure that whining stopped after what happened in Boston.

That train of thought permeates industrial manufacturing in the US as well. I repair, calibrate and train on specific manufacturing equipment across the country and 9 out of 10 calls we get are pieces of equipment, literally 20-30 or 40+ years old and barely functional if at all, that need a complete rebuild due to lack of PM.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://i.imgur.com/ErqBt7L.mp4

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
well the APC is upright at least

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Just use the APC to pull the truck back upright then rinse/repeat

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

LifeSunDeath posted:

Just use the APC to pull the truck back upright then rinse/repeat

An endless, vicious cycle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Bad Munki posted:

Posting here because it appears to be a work event. Just noticed all the babies but who has a weirdly empty room in what looks like an office building? Anyhow.

looks like a common room/event space that's either public or attached to an apt complex