Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

AndyElusive posted:

I don't talk to my X-Wing tournament opponents post-game, win, lose or draw. They're a zero and I'm a hero.

I don't even acknowledge my opponents during tournaments. I act like I can't tell how their ships are moving, act like I'm playing against a ghost, and always end by saying "See, this is why we murdered you in that dirty Belarus bar, Stanley. You deserved it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Not ashamed to flip a table in real life if the situation warrants it and the situation always warrants it.

Flip casually.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

i wear a captains hat to all tournaments to let people know even if they beat me im going to have sex with a supermodel on my yacht at the end of the day

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

I might bring a couple new people to our game night tonight. Anyone have advice on a good first game? I figured I would use the 2 generic Ties vs 1 generic T-65 from the rulebook but if anyone thinks there are better starting lists I'm all ears.

Edit: or if anyone has opinions on actions/no actions or obstacles, no obstacles for a first game fire away. I'm pretty sure I played a regular 100 point build in my first 1.0 game a few years ago so I have no idea what is best for starting out.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I do the standard X-Wing and two ties.

First game no obstacles, no colored moves.

Second game introduces a rock and red/blue moves

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

First game also has no range modifications on red or green dice. Found out the hard way that bonus red dice make the TIEs much more powerful than the Wang.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Thanks. You guys recommend actions for first game or wait until second?

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I would, but keep it simple. Focus, evade and target lock only and then add barrel rolls when you add asteroids.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Honestly, I think you want to keep the actions out on the first game. It makes the TIEs a lot more deadly, deadly enough to unbalance it.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I don't think balance actually matters to be honest. You aren't there to have a fair game, you are there to teach them what the game is about. Getting them to roll dice and then telling them to ignore all the eye results because you'll explain it all later is bad and confusing. People aren't as dumb as you might think and drilling it into them that you always want to have a focus token early is a good thing.

I have also taught people by introducing actions on round 3 after they have had 2 turns to get used to setting dials and using the templates to move ships.

I also usually introduce red and blue moves at the same time as actions.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/17/x-wing-for-beginners/

There's a 1e article and attached demo guide, and I've found using the steps in the demo guide are pretty good for introducing players to the game concepts.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
I'm going to disagree with all of these comments that say you should dumb down your first learning game. Ten years ago (or whatever), excited by seeing wave 1 at gencon, i got a core box, and played the recommended no actions / no dice mods / fox only / final destination learning game with a friend.

We were both bored to tears, and i put that box away and didn't play again for years because i thought FFG had flubbed it.

Leaving out all of the interesting things your ships can do, all the tactics more advanced than firing arcs, and just driving in circles around the board occasionally throwing some dice is a Bad Game that's Not Fun. By all means, use simple ships, use the X-wing and TIE with no upgrade cards, even play with 100-point teams instead of the full 200, but let them use every part of the game that's on the table.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

FFG put up an article congratulating the Phoenix System Open winner, and listed the wrong guy. Good work everyone.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

KongGeorgeVII posted:

I don't think balance actually matters to be honest. You aren't there to have a fair game, you are there to teach them what the game is about. Getting them to roll dice and then telling them to ignore all the eye results because you'll explain it all later is bad and confusing. People aren't as dumb as you might think and drilling it into them that you always want to have a focus token early is a good thing.

I have also taught people by introducing actions on round 3 after they have had 2 turns to get used to setting dials and using the templates to move ships.

I also usually introduce red and blue moves at the same time as actions.

Yeah and uh, maybe I'd keep actions and red/blue moves out of the game if I were teaching a literal child or sometime utterly new to tabletop games. But playing without those sounds incredibly dull. If that's how people had tried to teach me I'd have never kept playing this game.

Let people get in over their heads and learn.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ceebees posted:

I'm going to disagree with all of these comments that say you should dumb down your first learning game. Ten years ago (or whatever), excited by seeing wave 1 at gencon, i got a core box, and played the recommended no actions / no dice mods / fox only / final destination learning game with a friend.

We were both bored to tears, and i put that box away and didn't play again for years because i thought FFG had flubbed it.

Leaving out all of the interesting things your ships can do, all the tactics more advanced than firing arcs, and just driving in circles around the board occasionally throwing some dice is a Bad Game that's Not Fun. By all means, use simple ships, use the X-wing and TIE with no upgrade cards, even play with 100-point teams instead of the full 200, but let them use every part of the game that's on the table.

I've taught probably three dozen new people how to play Xwing, and let me tell you: doing the full actions + obstacles + stress combo in the first game does NOT work consistently. The new players get overwhelmed and frustrated more often than not.

It's better to take a 15 minute intro game (and there's no reason to play more than about 15 minutes, even if ships aren't destroyed) that is all about turn order, basic actions, and movement first. Then add the special stuff for the second one. All together this shouldn't take more than about 30 minutes for both games.

When I do it this way, they almost always ask to play a third game with more ships. When I don't, I get a "that was fun" and then they disengage to do something else.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
If they have any experience at all with tactical miniatures games, I just start in on a T-65/2xTie/ln game with all the normal rules, then play a full game with lists that don't require a lot of mental gymnastics.

If they've never played a tactical mini game, I do a few rounds of just maneuvering, so they get used to the idea of the dials and having to visualize their movements, then do the above.

That said, the most trouble I've had is when teaching people who have picked up a copy, read the book, and played with friends/kids. They usually have incredibly incorrect ideas about basic game mechanics.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Yeah, consider the first "game" where you gradually introduce actions, stress, and whatever as more like 4 or 5 sample turns

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
New Squadron

(68) IG-88A
(1) IG-2000
(0) Jamming Beam
Points 69

(65) IG-88B
(1) IG-2000
(0) Jamming Beam
Points 66

(49) 4-LOM
(4) IG-88D
(2) Mist Hunter
(0) Jamming Beam
(10) Advanced Sensors
Points 65

Total points: 200

This squad looks like a real pain but I wonder if you would be better off dropping advanced sensors for 3 tractor beams and still having 4 points left over for trickshots or FCS on the IGs.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

hoiyes posted:

New Squadron

(68) IG-88A
(1) IG-2000
(0) Jamming Beam
Points 69

(65) IG-88B
(1) IG-2000
(0) Jamming Beam
Points 66

(49) 4-LOM
(4) IG-88D
(2) Mist Hunter
(0) Jamming Beam
(10) Advanced Sensors
Points 65

This squad looks like a real pain but I wonder if you would be better off dropping advanced sensors for 3 tractor beams and still having 4 points left over for trickshots or FCS on the IGs.

I kinda wonder if Zuckuss wouldn't be better than 4-LOM in this squad. And he's cheaper than 4-LOM so you can get some of that other stuff too.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Ceebees posted:

Start with no actions, etc, but move on from it as soon as they get the hang of it, even if that's round 2.

hoiyes posted:

New Squadron

(68) IG-88A
(1) IG-2000
(0) Jamming Beam
Points 69

(65) IG-88B
(1) IG-2000
(0) Jamming Beam
Points 66

(49) 4-LOM
(4) IG-88D
(2) Mist Hunter
(0) Jamming Beam
(10) Advanced Sensors
Points 65

Tried it. Advanced Sensors is, as ever, absolutely essential to running a good 4LOM. Don't get rid of it. And if you have 4 points, Predators are the way togo. You will very rarely be in a position to do actions other than Calculate, so you want what little action-free mods you can find.

But the jamming beam gunner effect is incredibly low return, and there aren't any cannon/crew ships that you can get better cannons with, except just mayb cheaper G1As, which can't make anywhere near as good use as 4LOM of the G1A's utterly garbage dial.

I've tried it with a YV as well, which gives you enough points to throw Predator on the Bros, which is worthwhile, but overall I suspect the A/C/something build will be better, but I've not built it out properly yet.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

thinking about trying out the new Falcon with a hyperspace list like this:

Modified YT-1300 Light Freighter - •Chewbacca - 77
•Chewbacca - The Mighty (73)
•Leia Organa (2)
•Lando Calrissian (2)

BTL-A4 Y-wing - Gray Squadron Bomber - 41
Gray Squadron Bomber - (31)
Ion Cannon Turret (4)
Veteran Turret Gunner (6)

Ion Cannon Turret (4)

Ion Cannon Turret (4)

Total: 200/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

Leia seems like a steal at 2 points now. Lando is there for funsies/maybe to add a little tanking to Chewie. I haven't flown warthog Y-Wings yet. Anyone flown a 2.01 Falcon yet?

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Any thoughts on the following Rebel list post point change:

quote:

Luke Skywalker (62)
Instinctive Aim (2)
Proton Torpedoes (12)
Servomotor S-foils (0)

Wedge Antilles (52)
Elusive (3)
Proton Torpedoes (12)
Servomotor S-foils (0)

“Dutch” Vander (39)
Trick Shot (2)
Ion Cannon Turret (4)
R4 Astromech (2)
Seismic Charges (3)

Total: 199

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

We are doing a team league this season with one faction per team so I'm spit-balling some rebel ideas as I'm the only one who has really played Rebels in 2.0 during my limited experience with them. Any thoughts appreciated.

Edit:

quote:

Wedge Antilles (52)
Elusive (3)
Proton Torpedoes (12)
Servomotor S-foils (0)

Gray Squadron Bomber (31)
Ion Cannon Turret (4)
Seismic Charges (3)

Ion Cannon Turret (4)
Seismic Charges (3)

Ion Cannon Turret (4)
Seismic Charges (3)

That is the other one I'm debating with the reduced turret and Y-wing cost

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 1, 2019

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

hoiyes posted:

gently caress aces, check this poo poo out:

New Squadron

(42) Drea Renthal
(2) Dorsal Turret
Points 44

(31) Crymorah Goon
(6) Veteran Turret Gunner
(2) Dorsal Turret
Points 39

(31) Crymorah Goon
(2) Dorsal Turret
Points 39

(31) Crymorah Goon
(2) Dorsal Turret
Points 39

(31) Crymorah Goon
(2) Dorsal Turret
Points 39

I ran this tonight because it seemed fun. It is.

First game was against a Poe, L'ulo L'ampar, Bomber list. I shredded the bomber in the joust and just had to cleanup the other two.

Second game was against a First order TIE aces sort of list (3 ships). He didn't fly the best, and I flew in formation. Pretty much vaporized a TIE every time I got my sights on it.

In other news. What's the policy on using Rebel Y-wing dials in a scum list? I just used Rebel dials tonight because it was crazy casual, but I'm not sure if it matters in a tourney situation.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Floppychop posted:

I ran this tonight because it seemed fun. It is.

First game was against a Poe, L'ulo L'ampar, Bomber list. I shredded the bomber in the joust and just had to cleanup the other two.

Second game was against a First order TIE aces sort of list (3 ships). He didn't fly the best, and I flew in formation. Pretty much vaporized a TIE every time I got my sights on it.

In other news. What's the policy on using Rebel Y-wing dials in a scum list? I just used Rebel dials tonight because it was crazy casual, but I'm not sure if it matters in a tourney situation.

A: I am avoiding extended like the plague until the next points update.

B: I have never seen anyone complain, but I think you are supposed to use the faction dials. If you are worried buy dial covers and no one would ever know.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Raged posted:

B: I have never seen anyone complain, but I think you are supposed to use the faction dials. If you are worried buy dial covers and no one would ever know.

You can still cram 4x Gray Squadron bombers with Ion Turret and Veteran Turret Gunner in under 200 pts. You even have 36 pts to spare to dump on another with just an Ion Turret or on ordnance/upgrades.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Raged posted:

HAVE YOU HEARD THE GOOD WORD OF FATHER STRIDAN AND BROTHER TAVSON.

Also, related, help us by spying on what the NSW gatecrashers are gonna bring to South Australia.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

hoiyes posted:

HAVE YOU HEARD THE GOOD WORD OF FATHER STRIDAN AND BROTHER TAVSON.

Also, related, help us by spying on what the NSW gatecrashers are gonna bring to South Australia.

Hahahaha

I have no clue what the new meta is going to be. I live 3 hours from Sydney. The first good indicator will be the trials warm up in Penrith in March 2nd. Two weeks later is the first hyperspace trial in Bathurst. Going to be nice not having to travel for a big event for once.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I'm still very much figuring out this game and i was thinking next time i'd try out my shiny new scum falcon, what do y'all think of this:

Han Solo (Scum) (54)
Trick Shot (2)
Qi’ra (2)
L3-37 (4)
BT-1 (2)
Lando’s Millennium Falcon (6)

Lando Calrissian (Scum) (Escape Craft) (29)

4-LOM (49)
Elusive (3)
Advanced Sensors (10)
0-0-0 (5)

Laetin A’shera (33)
Hardpoint: Cannon (0)
Jamming Beam (0)

The M3-A is kind of a filler but i can't think of anything better that fits within the point budget. I'm very much open to suggestions though.

My fancy tokens also arrived, they're very nice and crisp with bright colours:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Dunk Elusive for Mist Hunter. The latter is WAY more important to good 4LOMming than the former.

And you'd do way better with N'Dru for the same points. a Scyk with a jamming beam is just... wut

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Floppychop posted:

Models (and dials) can be used cross-faction if they're for the exact same ship (the full name of the ship must be identical). Y-Wings and HWKs are the same ship in Scum and Rebel. TIE Fighters exist in Imperial and Rebels. They're interchangeable.

This is different from, say, a T-70 X-Wing and a T-65 X-Wing, which are different ships. Or even the three Falcons: they have different dials and different names (Customized YT-1300 vs Modified YT-1300). You can't mix models and dials, even if the ships are very similar.

I personally think it's dumb as gently caress for the models side of it, especially for the Falcons, but that's the rule. :(

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Bistromatic posted:

I'm still very much figuring out this game and i was thinking next time i'd try out my shiny new scum falcon, what do y'all think of this:

If you want Hyperspace-legal, try this

https://raithos.github.io/?f=Scum%2...20Squadron&obs=

It really reduces the enemy's ability to modify dice. The Fangs and TIE should stick together and fight in the rocks, if possible, while Han circles the fight. It's one of the few lists at league night I've had consistent trouble against.

Originally this was Han and 3 of the PS1 fangs, but the change to Trick Shot put it at 201 points, sadly.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Heyo, it's been a couple of months but I'm still playing. I'm running a similar list to above but with an escape craft and some higher init pilots: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Scum%2...20Squadron&obs=

I'm not 100% sold on rigged cargo chute tbqh. It does discourage chasing the falcon but when I'm just circling I'm not really getting much use out of it. Tactical Officer gives me some utility but I could see more pew pew being better too

Oh and Seevor is just rad

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Start with no actions, etc, but move on from it as soon as they get the hang of it, even if that's round 2.

Tried it. Advanced Sensors is, as ever, absolutely essential to running a good 4LOM. Don't get rid of it. And if you have 4 points, Predators are the way togo. You will very rarely be in a position to do actions other than Calculate, so you want what little action-free mods you can find.

But the jamming beam gunner effect is incredibly low return, and there aren't any cannon/crew ships that you can get better cannons with, except just mayb cheaper G1As, which can't make anywhere near as good use as 4LOM of the G1A's utterly garbage dial.

I've tried it with a YV as well, which gives you enough points to throw Predator on the Bros, which is worthwhile, but overall I suspect the A/C/something build will be better, but I've not built it out properly yet.

A/C with Pred, Collision Detector, and Unkar with AB, PA, D crew seems very solid for me. Bit heavy on the dice variance though.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Forgive me x-wing thread, amazon gift card balance means I will have Upsilon shuttles two and three on Sunday.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
It's OK, it'll be completely solved by the time hyperspace trials rolls around. Scum and Imperial have strong lists in their own right that dumpster it. Rebels and Resistance have it a bit harder and who knows what the new factions can do.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Devlan Mud posted:

Forgive me x-wing thread, amazon gift card balance means I will have Upsilon shuttles two and three on Sunday.

A friend of mine was in town today for an Armada regional. Went down to see him play and he picked up the last 2 upsilons.....Whores and their trinkets. If it turns out a lot of Sydney players are using that list I am probably switching to Elo, Nein, Lulo & Talli.

Currently having a brain fart. Does crack shot work on resistance A-Wings?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Yeah the only stipulation is primary weapon and bullseye arc.

Han, Poe and Lulo isn't really worried about trip upsilons. Resistance Han can deploy to create a safe pocket in the corner of the board for a single ship (Lulo) and also block Dormitz's 3-forward. Poe deploys in the other corner and they can't catch him with Black One.

The only problem is that Han is overcosted and kinda garbage.

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 2, 2019

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

hoiyes posted:

Yeah the only stipulation is primary weapon and bullseye arc.

Han, Poe and Lulo isn't really worried about trip upsilons. Resistance Han can deploy to create a safe pocket in the corner of the board for a single ship (Lulo) and also block Dormitz's 3-forward. Poe deploys in the other corner and they can't catch him with Black One.

The only problem is that Han is overcosted and kinda garbage.

Yeah, that's why I am thinking about 4 ships instead. Han may be good against Ups, but he is going to be hurting against a lot of other lists. My brain tells me to run a swarm, but I think I would rather eat glass than ever run 6+ ships for 6+ games

This is also garbage but is cheaper and does the same thing as resistance Han.

Han Solo (Scum) — Customized YT-1300 Light Freighter 54
Trick Shot 2
Boba Fett 4
Tobias Beckett 2
Lando’s Millennium Falcon 6
Ship Total: 68

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Is the solution to Trip Ups Jamming Beam/Hotshot gunner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Is the solution to Trip Ups Jamming Beam/Hotshot gunner?

triple YVs yeah. Blind them with ships that can't be killed by 2 4 die shots.

Though, in all seriousness, I'd rate the A/B/4LOM or A/B/YV build pretty highly, they have the HP to not die, the mods to choose a good ship to take the fire, 4LOM to troll with stress, and all pack jamming beams to kill the opposing mods.

Can't say I've tried it though, and I think A/C/Quad is actualy better.