Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

GoodBee posted:

I never had a dog as a kid and I have no idea what makes people who did think they know everything ever about dogs. Especially since they were kids and if their dog didn't suck, it was probably their parents that made that happen.

It's kinda funny - I'm the opposite. We had a few dogs when I was growing up, but they sucked so when I got Apollo I made sure to learn how to train him and stuff - and he's great! Apparently my parents really suck at dogs - my Dad's all in on "being the alpha" and my Mom has lousy timing for treats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

wilderthanmild posted:

Puppy has suddenly decided to go back to freaking out constantly in his crate. I thought we were past this.

Dogs go through phases just like human kids do. So one possibility is that the dog has just decided they don't want to play by that particular rule right now. And if you're giving them extra attention and letting them out of the crate when they act up, then they're getting rewarded for acting up...

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that's what I think might be what's going on. My wife and I probably need to make sure we leave him in for a reasonable minimum amount of time that he should be able to hold it. The previous 2 nights he was fine for between 3 and 4 hours so at least 2 if not 3 should be a good minimum. We'll absolutely have to adjust this if he soils his crate at some point, but that hasn't happened yet. I'm certain he's nowhere near his limit most of the time, since when we do let him out his first priority seems to be party not potty.

We also need to make sure we wait until he isn't freaking out to let him out so that even when on schedule he's not getting the wrong message.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Dogs go through phases just like human kids do. So one possibility is that the dog has just decided they don't want to play by that particular rule right now. And if you're giving them extra attention and letting them out of the crate when they act up, then they're getting rewarded for acting up...

Yup this.

You will have training regression, your dog is going to test boundaries, our dog is now a little over 2 and he's been testing our boundaries since a few months after we got him, so around 10-12 months.

Be consistent, if he's whining in the crate, leave him in there for a bit and if he quiets down you let him out.

Obviously if he's crying for hours it might not be best to leave him in there.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Tom Gorman posted:

But seriously yeah, I think it's time to just bring in a trainer, intervention style. And if it doesn't work it doesn't work.

I think this is right. I needed some validation because I knew I'm not the one that's handling things wrong here. I just don't like more arguments and making life even more of a pain in the rear end if I can help it. I tried to do this at the very beginning but she wasn't on board. Just gotta do it because you're right, it won't get better on it's own.

A purely R+ training strategy is really a win-win for your situation. Carry a clicker and a bag of tiny treats 24-7 for a couple of weeks. Once you teach the dog that click=treat, you can try to capture good behavior (like hopping off the couch) or alternate behaviors (like a nose touch to hand) that you can eventually name and cue.

This is clearly not punitive to the dog, so it avoids argument there, and will have the side benefit of you turning into a human cookie dispenser, which may well cause her to change favorites.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's kinda funny - I'm the opposite. We had a few dogs when I was growing up, but they sucked so when I got Apollo I made sure to learn how to train him and stuff - and he's great! Apparently my parents really suck at dogs - my Dad's all in on "being the alpha" and my Mom has lousy timing for treats.

I thought I didn't really like dogs until I realized I just didn't like the poorly trained/untrained dogs that roamed the neighborhood when I was a kid.

My dogs aren't super well trained or amazing or anything but they aren't totally awful.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Engineer Lenk posted:

A purely R+ training strategy is really a win-win for your situation. Carry a clicker and a bag of tiny treats 24-7 for a couple of weeks. Once you teach the dog that click=treat, you can try to capture good behavior (like hopping off the couch) or alternate behaviors (like a nose touch to hand) that you can eventually name and cue.

This is clearly not punitive to the dog, so it avoids argument there, and will have the side benefit of you turning into a human cookie dispenser, which may well cause her to change favorites.

The ultimate own. Steal her dog’s love then :sever:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Do any of you clicker train? Been looking into that and it seems pretty straight forward. And I kind of think it looks better then just yelling yes. Or it feels like it would give him a better baseline for when a treats coming because right now my dog seems like he's more into the treats then making the connection to why he got it. Is that normal? Like he does the thing, gets the treat and then is searching for another all over the place.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Holyshoot posted:

Do any of you clicker train? Been looking into that and it seems pretty straight forward. And I kind of think it looks better then just yelling yes. Or it feels like it would give him a better baseline for when a treats coming because right now my dog seems like he's more into the treats then making the connection to why he got it. Is that normal? Like he does the thing, gets the treat and then is searching for another all over the place.

Clicker training/marker training is great for clarity and accuracy! I tend to default to using a clicker when teaching a new behavior because I think it's clearest for my dog who is a very type A personality and hates uncertainty. Later on I might move on to different markers that indicate different things (like where the reward is coming from, what type of reward he's getting, etc) just because I'm a real nerd but lots of animals at taught only with clicks/a whistle marker.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Need some advice.

We have two dogs, both pitbulls. One is about 9 and was never socialized and has problems with other dogs outside of her companion, and the other is about 5 and was plainly abused before we adopted him (he never makes a sound unless he is suddenly hurt, such as when I once accidentally stepped on his tail and he yelped) and is very fearful. Both dogs are very anxious, and tend to feed into each other and tailspin down into quivering panting over nothing; really nothing, one of us can let the fridge close a little too hard and they will both start getting nervous and then just devolve into quaking messes over the next 15 minutes without any further interaction from us.

We have a 7 month old son who the dogs are great with, never had any problems with strange behavior or aggression towards him. But lately, whenever he starts to get fussy or upset, they get incredibly nervous and start pacing the house, making wet gagging sounds, and licking compulsively. My wife is exclusively pumping to feed our boy, and often will be tied down with her breastpump while trying to sooth the kid, and the dogs drive her insane with their anxiety. We try not to give them any energy or real attention when they act this way since that reinforces that behavior, but they have been steadily getting worse; it seems like a negative feedback loop between the two of them.

What the gently caress can we do, aside from just deal with it? We haven't changed their routine, we still do our twice daily long walks and take them to run around in a nearby field; we've specifically made an effort to not suddenly drop them in favor of the baby, but they are just becoming wound up balls of anxiety and irritation that make any stressful situation worse.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Another question I have is I live with a roomate who has two dogs that are more or less un trained. You can't leave toys out or the one dog will take them and start fights over them. If you leave food out she will try to go for it. Little stuff like that. One of the dogs can get a bit hyper because the roomate thinks a backyard is enough exercise for them. Having said that will those two dogs make training mine harder? Or effect his ability to retain the obedience?

I'm hoping no because I kind of want to train my dog to be super obedient as well to show him that dogs don't have to be watched 24/7 when you're home. And that his dogs are just un trained. Like he says things such as "you turn for one second and they will get into stuff". Mind you his dogs are 8 and 10. And my new dog is 4.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Ugh just found out our puppy still has worms even after the treatment. We have to wait until Tuesday to put him on another round of deworming meds and then 10 days after that to get another, hopefully clean fecal. We'd wanted to get him into puppy socialization classes and obedience classes right away, but it looks like at minimum we're waiting until almost March.

On the other end, he must have had worms really bad if he still has worms now.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 5, 2019

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

wilderthanmild posted:

Ugh just found out our puppy still has worms even after the treatment. We have to wait until Tuesday to put him on another round of deworming meds and then 10 days after that to get another, hopefully clean fecal. We'd wanted to get him into puppy socialization classes and obedience classes right away, but it looks like at minimum we're waiting until almost March.

On the other end, he must have had worms really bad if he still has worms now.

Oh dear :(. Soon my dog goes for the day 60 part where it's one shot one day and observation then another shot the next day. Hope your pupper gets better on the second round.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I didn't even know that was an eventual step in the process. Hopefully this guy's worms give up and die before then.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I think you're talking about intestinal worms vs heartworms. Heartworms get the shots.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Yeah my puppy has the intestinal kind.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Pro farmdog tip: If you have large dogs and they get worms all the dang time because they won't stop eating wildlife, liquid safeguard for goats is the same stuff as panacur/safeguard for dogs but way cheaper even with the loving giant doses they need for days at a time. Get the dosage from your vet, don't be surprised when it's a bonkers amount of liquid. Mix it with some broth or wet food and they gobble it down.

For a while my giant heathens got wormed twice a month because they kept getting weird parasites and that was the only thing that saved my bank account.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

wilderthanmild posted:

Yeah my puppy has the intestinal kind.

Are the intestinal ones harder to get rid of the first time around? And yes mine has heartworm. Cause he was chained up outside in the deep south for most of his life.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
My dog somehow managed to get a tick like an inch above his left eye. I'm not great at extracting ticks at the best of times, so about all I can say about this one is that it's dead. Guess now I just hope he doesn't get infected! :shepface:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
So I'm trying to get my dog to poop in a different spot so when I stop taking him out on a leash he will naturally go there through the doggy door.

He hasn't gone for a day or two when I take him out. Do I keep going to the new spot and eventually he will go "gently caress this let it rip" or will he more likely go inside the house. He's confined to a small area when I'm home and then in my bedroom to sleep because of heartworm treatment. This leads me to belive he will just eventually go in the new spot cause he won't want to poop where he sleeps/relaxes.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

My dog, 50# basset, has irritation/soreness between the paws and is really going at it via licking. Cone of shame is on, washing the paw after each walk. Walking itself doesn't bother him and when he's playing he forgets the paw is an issue. No discharges from the paw yet.

Vet worthy?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My dog somehow managed to get a tick like an inch above his left eye. I'm not great at extracting ticks at the best of times, so about all I can say about this one is that it's dead. Guess now I just hope he doesn't get infected! :shepface:

Dab the wound with some alcohol at least, maybe some neosporin. Also, get a tick twister or other removal tool. They’re only a few dollars and they’re a lot easier and faster to use than tweezers and don’t have the risk of ripping the dog’s skin.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Dab the wound with some alcohol at least, maybe some neosporin. Also, get a tick twister or other removal tool. They’re only a few dollars and they’re a lot easier and faster to use than tweezers and don’t have the risk of ripping the dog’s skin.

Goddamn, thanks for the tip re: tick twister. I didn't know that was a thing.

Neosporin definitely, but I'd heard that putting alcohol on open wounds was counterproductive because it kills off helpful cells as well as the infection.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Trip report. The dog took a dump in the new spot where he will have access to in the future when he's not taken out on a leash. 😃

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

My hound dog got a tick right on her butthole once when we went camping. I had to take her to the vet to get a couple of professionals to remove it. She definitely wasn't got to let me get it as a one-man operation.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

My girlfriend has an almost 9 year old Westie that occasionally has overnight accidents. We're going to be moving in together soon and I'd kind of like to figure out what we can do before then because my house is lovely old hardwood that I'd like to keep from getting worse. It seems like maybe every 2-3 weeks she'll wake up in the morning to a puddle of pee. I don't think its a training issue because it only seems to only happen overnight and she is great about peeing outside. I've seen people suggest taking away the water dish at some point in the evening to keep them from over hydrating at night or checking her foods sodium level because I guess that can make them drink more water too? I know she's starting to get old and this might be an old dog thing in which case I guess I'd like suggestions on managing that? Any help would be appreciated. A lot of the potty training advice seems centered around newly training which I don't think is applicable but I'm happy to try anything.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Has the vet evaluated her for a UTI or incontinence? There is medication that can help with incontinence. A UTI can be cured.

My little dog was leaking in her sleep so I read up on it and asked my vet. My dog isn't old so we treated her for a UTI. She quit leaking for now.

There's also doggy diapers, which are hilarious and undignified.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

GoodBee posted:

Has the vet evaluated her for a UTI or incontinence? There is medication that can help with incontinence. A UTI can be cured.

My little dog was leaking in her sleep so I read up on it and asked my vet. My dog isn't old so we treated her for a UTI. She quit leaking for now.

Nope, we haven't taken her to the vet yet because it's been inconsistent so far. She isn't really leaking in her sleep. She's getting up, leaving the bedroom and going into the living room and peeing on the floor.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Do you think something that occasional could be an UTI? Mine had one and she was going pretty much all the drat time. She has been taking multiple short leaks during walks as of late so I've been starting to wonder.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

GoodBee posted:

My parents had a brief period where all their dogs suddenly regressed in their potty training. Rather than containing this situation they slapped doggy diapers on all of them for a bit. I gotta admit, as terrible and lazy as it was, a bunch of Scotties wearing doggy diapers was a funny sight.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Managing sodium and water intake, and making sure to go out last thing at night and first thing in the morning is a reasonable strategy, but if it's still happening you may want to switch to managing it as an expected old dog thing. I have a setup that's an ex-pen over a tarp with a padding layer under the tarp (fleece or old blanket). Then I put a kuranda bed inside with enough room for a pee pad as well. If the dog's not even waking up you can put it under the bed and keep her more comfortable, but it is a change to be confined overnight and requires a bit of dedicated floorspace.

My dog got a lot better after a food switch after multiple vet visits where they were stumped, but he's always had a sensitive stomach and eventually had other gi symptoms.

Engineer Lenk fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 7, 2019

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Warbird posted:

Do you think something that occasional could be an UTI? Mine had one and she was going pretty much all the drat time. She has been taking multiple short leaks during walks as of late so I've been starting to wonder.

From what I read, it could be. It might be worth sending some pee to a lab. I would sometimes find pee spots in places my little dog would sleep, like my bed or chair. She'd even peed in my bed, while I was sleeping. All that was pretty intermittent and I didn't realize she was likely doing it her sleep until one day when she was totally passed out, sleeping deeply, in the chair with me while I was watching TV, and she leaked all over the chair and me.

I suspect she probably had a UTI for a while and sometimes it would get worse and she'd wake me up in the middle of the night to go out and sometimes she would pee in her sleep. I guess I didn't realize that her waking me up in the middle of the night indicated a potential problem. I just thought I went to bed too early and didn't take her out late enough. She's a 25 lb terrier mix and it made sense to me that she couldn't hold it as long as my 50 lb hound dog.

Now, I don't know if my little dog would have peed on the floor inside if she were awake and couldn't wake me up, or didn't try to wake me up. She would only occasionally wake me up and only occasionally pee where she was sleeping.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Warbird posted:

Now that you mention it, when she does go on walks, she'll take a big pee right off the bat, and then a bunch of shorter pees for the next block or so. I've never had one, but my understanding of a UTI in people is mostly that it hurts to pee? Is it the same with dogs? Or could she have a lower tolerance to a full bladder that makes her need to relieve herself more frequently?

Engineer Lenk posted:

Managing sodium and water intake, and making sure to go out last thing at night and first thing in the morning is a reasonable strategy, but if it's still happening you may want to switch to managing it as an expected old dog thing. I have a setup that's an ex-pen over a tarp with a padding layer under the tarp (fleece or old blanket). Then I put a kuranda bed inside with enough room for a pee pad as well. If the dog's not even waking up you can put it under the bed and keep her more comfortable, but it is a change to be confined overnight and requires a bit of dedicated floorspace.

My dog got a lot better after a food switch after multiple vet visits where they were stumped, but he's always had a sensitive stomach and eventually had other gi symptoms.

Any suggestions on places to look for info on sodium and limiting water intake other than the vet? Food suggestions? I think she eats a blue buffalo dry food.

Right now she has free access to the house when home alone or at night but maybe we need to start restricting her. She is going to hate it though. She's very attached to my girlfriend.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
My 11 year old diabetic dog is now blind. She lives with my parents. It happened really fast.

We are struggling with this. The cataract removal costs something like 5K. A major issue is that her diabetes isn’t fully controlled. If we have the surgery now and can’t get the diabetes under control, my understanding is it could come back. We are taking her back in for more blood sugar testing but it’s been 4 months of this. She’s a lot better than when she had it but it was undiagnosed and being blind doesn’t seem to bother her all that much.

My concern too is if we don’t get the surgery and live with the blindness, could it turn into something that could kill her or make her life painful? If so, can we treat the cataracts without getting the surgery?

I know I need to talk to the vet I’m just struggling here. Any advice is appreciated.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

You can't do poo poo for cataracts once they've formed other than surgery removal.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

i am not a vet but from senior rescues I stalk cataract/blindness does not really matter unless it leads to swelling of the eyes. Lots* of sr bassets are adopted out with no eyes.

*bias

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
We're looking to adopt a puppy, but I'm not sure how to deal with the weather. My wife stays home, we have three pet-loving kids, so the puppy will get plenty of training and attention. However, I can't imagine the puppy will want to go out in 0 degree weather for potty training.

Should we try for garage training using a grass pad? Is this just going to confuse the puppy and we should wait for spring?

Anybody else have tips for adopting winter puppies born in November?

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Judge Schnoopy posted:

We're looking to adopt a puppy, but I'm not sure how to deal with the weather. My wife stays home, we have three pet-loving kids, so the puppy will get plenty of training and attention. However, I can't imagine the puppy will want to go out in 0 degree weather for potty training.

Should we try for garage training using a grass pad? Is this just going to confuse the puppy and we should wait for spring?

Anybody else have tips for adopting winter puppies born in November?

Just take them out every 2 hours but make it brief. The puppy won't be housebroken until 4-5 month age anyway. Until that it's just dealing with it.

You'll have a perfect time to teach the puppy during spring.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
Anybody have a super-awesome recipe for removing (dried) dog pee smell from carpet? Our new puppy is doing pretty well crate training but apparently he snuck out of our sight at least once or twice and whizzed on the shag rug in our bedroom :argh:

Anyway I've tried some Natures Miracle foam and that seems to have helped a little but I don't think the foam is penetrating the shag carpet deep enough so I'm going to need to do a deeper/wetter clean and I was wondering if there were any formulas or products that were particularly effective.

TIA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Get yourself a handheld carpet cleaner and reap the benefits friend. Our Bissel does a good job, but I do make a point to go borrow the neighbor's dumb industrial style stand up unit from time to time. That being said, shag's going to be a fucker to clean.