Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Der Shovel posted:

Jesus christ, talk about nominative determinism in action.

Look out for the next FIFA president, Dishonest Bribetaker.
After he ekes out the win over Q'tari Al-Slavemaster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46641830

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
FIFA did a drive-by

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Probably not the right place for this, but Qatar managed to get to the final of the Asia cup...

Im fairly sure theres something shady going on there.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

CyberPingu posted:

Probably not the right place for this, but Qatar managed to get to the final of the Asia cup...

Im fairly sure theres something shady going on there.

They've got a couple of players that haven't been properly naturalised. Qatar are claiming to have documents that they won't release which prove both player's are eligible to play due to their mother's being born in Qatar, despite documents being available that show them being born in Iraq and Sudan. AFC are supporting Qatar but are refusing to answer any questions as to why, or provide any documentation that proves their eligibility. Additionally, Iraq's star striker in this tournament was ruled by their government to actually be 3 years younger than he is in order to beat a FIFA ban, the whole confederation is a mess

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol that owns

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Bogan Krkic posted:

They've got a couple of players that haven't been properly naturalised. Qatar are claiming to have documents that they won't release which prove both player's are eligible to play due to their mother's being born in Qatar, despite documents being available that show them being born in Iraq and Sudan. AFC are supporting Qatar but are refusing to answer any questions as to why, or provide any documentation that proves their eligibility. Additionally, Iraq's star striker in this tournament was ruled by their government to actually be 3 years younger than he is in order to beat a FIFA ban, the whole confederation is a mess

I was legit expecting to see a bunch of ringers when looking up Qatar's team sheet.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Surely Qatar could just naturalize those players as citizens rather than make up some story? I guess that would probably force the government to release their passports to them.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

CyberPingu posted:

I was legit expecting to see a bunch of ringers when looking up Qatar's team sheet.

Yeah I was expecting a lot of Silvas and Santos's

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Gigi Galli posted:

Surely Qatar could just naturalize those players as citizens rather than make up some story? I guess that would probably force the government to release their passports to them.

They're Qatari citizens, but FIFA regs require them to have lived in the country for 5 years explicitly to stop countries from naturalising players after like a week of residency

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Chinese league teams have recently been hunting down players who have Chinese family as far back as great grandparents to naturalise to get around the foreign player limit within the league

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Bogan Krkic posted:

They're Qatari citizens, but FIFA regs require them to have lived in the country for 5 years explicitly to stop countries from naturalising players after like a week of residency

Ah ok, I didn't realize that was a rule.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Given that we're talking about messes in Asian football, this is probably a good place to post about Hakeem Al-Araibi:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/feb/01/hakeem-al-araibi-supporters-say-fifa-and-ioc-must-threaten-sanctions-against-bahrain

He was outspoken against the Bahraini government and subsquently arrested for vandalism during the arab spring, but every crime he's accused of was commited while he was playing in a televised match for Bahrain. He fled to Australia and was granted refugee status, and last month went to Thailand on his honeymoon, and as soon as he left the country the Australian Federal Police notified Thailand that he was still wanted in Bahrain, and he's been detained since, and is currently under extradition orders back to Bahrain where he'll be again tortured and presumably worse. There's been marches around the country here in Australia to protest his detention but it looks like he's got at least another 2 months in jail fighting the case against extradition

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Gigi Galli posted:

Ah ok, I didn't realize that was a rule.

It's a fairly recent rule change iirc, maybe 4 or 5 years old?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Bogan Krkic posted:

Given that we're talking about messes in Asian football, this is probably a good place to post about Hakeem Al-Araibi:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/feb/01/hakeem-al-araibi-supporters-say-fifa-and-ioc-must-threaten-sanctions-against-bahrain

He was outspoken against the Bahraini government and subsquently arrested for vandalism during the arab spring, but every crime he's accused of was commited while he was playing in a televised match for Bahrain. He fled to Australia and was granted refugee status, and last month went to Thailand on his honeymoon, and as soon as he left the country the Australian Federal Police notified Thailand that he was still wanted in Bahrain, and he's been detained since, and is currently under extradition orders back to Bahrain where he'll be again tortured and presumably worse. There's been marches around the country here in Australia to protest his detention but it looks like he's got at least another 2 months in jail fighting the case against extradition

This is some next level scummy behaviour by the Australian Federal Police

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

The Mash posted:

This is some next level scummy behaviour by the Australian Federal Police

We really hate refugees here. That said, the case in their defense is that Interpol had erroneously issued a red notice on Hakeem as requested by Bahrain, which they were obliged to alert Thai authorities to, even though they knew Interpol aren't meant to issue a red notice against a refugee on request of the country they're fleeing from

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Jose posted:

Chinese league teams have recently been hunting down players who have Chinese family as far back as great grandparents to naturalise to get around the foreign player limit within the league

Yeah this is how Nico Yennaris is now a Chinese citizen

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Bogan Krkic posted:

We really hate refugees here. That said, the case in their defense is that Interpol had erroneously issued a red notice on Hakeem as requested by Bahrain, which they were obliged to alert Thai authorities to, even though they knew Interpol aren't meant to issue a red notice against a refugee on request of the country they're fleeing from

That's pretty hosed.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Almoez Ali, the Sudanese "Qatari" player, has scored an absolute belter of a bicycle kick to put Qatar up 1-0 in the Asian Cup final at half time, and I hope its the winning goal and everyone goes into meltdown over his eligibility

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

https://streamable.com/td3u5

Ehhh, keeper should be doing better there.

Also lol Qatar are 2-0 up

This though
https://streamable.com/92kgo

Phwoar

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 1, 2019

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
gently caress Qatar and Bahrain

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Almoez Ali now holds the record of most goals scored at any one Asian Cup tournament too lol

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

I spent a week in Bahrain last year and the highlight was going to Shake Shack

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Weaponized Cum posted:

Is that some back alley hand-job joint?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Weaponized Cum posted:

is it $9 for a coffee like it is in Qatar?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

Is that some back alley hand-job joint?

Shake Shack is the in and out burger of the east

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I dont know what that is either.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

in and out is absolutely the name of a back alley brothel though right

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CyberPingu posted:

I dont know what that is either.

Two places that are only moderately better than a Wendys but cost 2-5x more.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

That Works posted:

Dont have Wendys here either.

Where is it in relation to something like 5 guys (and no, i dont know what any of their names are)?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

VAR :gritin:

lmfao this match is so fixed

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

That Works posted:

I don’t even understand this post. In and out double double is 3.45?

You’re saying Wendy’s has a double cheeseburger for less than $1.75? Poverty beef

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

Dont have Wendys here either.

Where is it in relation to something like 5 guys (and no, i dont know what any of their names are)?

Both in an out and shake shack are right around 5 guys level, one notch up in this posters opinion

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Wendy's 5-guy in and out shake shack

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I don’t even understand this post. In and out double double is 3.45?

You’re saying Wendy’s has a double cheeseburger for less than $1.75? Poverty beef

Wendys double stack is 2 bucks.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

silvergoose posted:

Wendys double stack is 2 bucks.

So is this proof that your 2-5x was incorrect?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

5guys > Wendys > Shake Shack > InNOut

So is this proof that your 2-5x was incorrect?

It was my 2-5x, sorry I don't have the menu prices for a mediocre fast food establishment committed to memory. I think the actual quote I had when I ate there for the 1st time was "ok so Wendy's with a long-rear end line and a cult".

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

That Works posted:

5guys > Wendys > Shake Shack > InNOut

Thanks for a rundown of your fetishes.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

my only point of comparison is carls jr or burger king, where do they fit on the scale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

Bogan Krkic posted:

is it $9 for a coffee like it is in Qatar?

dont remember but it was in a big rear end mall in the middle of the desert and i couldnt even male gaze