Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

the only genius in the whole fucking business

cyberia posted:

This sounds so good. Will it be kickstarted or on a different platform?

I will likely just release it on DriveThruRPG. I don't know if I'm going to do another kickstarter: I already have serious problems with perfectionism and feeling my work isn't worth anything, and having my work kickstarted amplifies it. I'm glad I did it for Flying Circus (the success got me out of a seriously unhealthy living situation) but I'm so terrified I'm not going to deliver to the standards of my backers now, and I'm scared to take creative risks. On top of that, I've got like... six or seven projects that I have written which just need layouts and art, and doing that would make a lot of sense financially right now, but I can't work on them while the Kickstarter is still outstanding.

I think I need a little bit where I can just release games without pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Has there been any peep from Frank about Spellbound Kingdoms: Arcana anywhere? The last KS update was in July of last year.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Cerepol posted:

Has there been any peep from Frank about Spellbound Kingdoms: Arcana anywhere? The last KS update was in July of last year.
And the last update before that was 2017, wasn't it?

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
I too would play the cyberpunk game.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, Dis/Connect sounds 100% up my alley. Rambling transhumanist diatribes as a mechanic? Sign me up!

Also, I'm very tempted to pick up the new Ninja Turtles games that went up, since I really liked Out of the Shadows, but I really need to downsize my board game collection and it's really expensive because of all the minis.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

A Stan Sakai box? Oh, that's just unfair.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

open_sketchbook posted:

At some point soon after I finish Flying Circus one of the smaller games I'm going to be putting out is Dis/Connect, a retro-y d100 percentile cyberpunk RPG set in the distant year of 2011 which is basically a Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex producing game. It's got the structural DNA of modern storygames but the stats and action are treated like a more old-school game.

Also it replaces the traditional Humanity meter with a creeping sense of dissonance with the world around you (so both seeing/doing awful things & seeing the ways that technology has detached you from regular human experience causes it). Basically, instead of a sanity hit points meter that makes you go murderous when it runs out, it treats that idea like depression, anxiety, and even dysphoria, and the solution is literally to have rambling philosophical discussions about your problems with the team as you wait on stakeouts or for the hacking to finish.

And its set in Darkest Toronto.

(I ran it at Metatopia 2018 and it was probably the best game I ever ran)

“I am already eating from this trash can all of the time, the name of this trash can is Shadowrun.”

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Dawgstar posted:

A Stan Sakai box? Oh, that's just unfair.

Yeah, I think I might throw them a buck to get into the pledge manager and get the Sekai box. No interest in the game but those minis are nice.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

And the last update before that was 2017, wasn't it?

yeah I think we were misled because from the Kickstarter pitch I thought it had already been mostly written up.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

HidaO-Win posted:

Man a proper satisfyingly crunchy Cyberpunk RPG would be great. Infinity from Mophidius is probably the closest even though its a bit more on the space opera side than I’d want for a cyberpunk game.

Out of curiosity, which kind of cyberpunk? The strongly 80s retrofuture kind, GitS-y high-tech near future, Person of Interest immediate future, focusing on Shadowrun-style corporate raids, mysteries, high concept thematic exploration, just being a rad cyborg with bigger numbers than whoever you're beating up...?

Hostile V posted:

Well I backed your game but this has convinced me to fund your Patreon.

Yes tell Erika her work is appreciated! :3:

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Cerepol posted:

yeah I think we were misled because from the Kickstarter pitch I thought it had already been mostly written up.

Last report was that it's all written and was sent to the layout person, but who knows at this point.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Is BFF DOA?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rosscowman/bff-the-rpg-of-girlhood-friendship-and-adventure

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Their twitter is fairly active, posting playtests and con-games on the reg, but I've not heard anything about a release at all.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

open_sketchbook posted:

I think I need a little bit where I can just release games without pressure.

Do that. We want you happy and productive.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

open_sketchbook posted:

At some point soon after I finish Flying Circus one of the smaller games I'm going to be putting out is Dis/Connect, a retro-y d100 percentile cyberpunk RPG set in the distant year of 2011 which is basically a Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex producing game. It's got the structural DNA of modern storygames but the stats and action are treated like a more old-school game.

Also it replaces the traditional Humanity meter with a creeping sense of dissonance with the world around you (so both seeing/doing awful things & seeing the ways that technology has detached you from regular human experience causes it). Basically, instead of a sanity hit points meter that makes you go murderous when it runs out, it treats that idea like depression, anxiety, and even dysphoria, and the solution is literally to have rambling philosophical discussions about your problems with the team as you wait on stakeouts or for the hacking to finish.

And its set in Darkest Toronto.

(I ran it at Metatopia 2018 and it was probably the best game I ever ran)

As someone who desperately wishes Shadowrun was a good game, I'd buy in.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Any takes on Vindication? Even after watching a play-through I'm not really sure what my feelings are about the game.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
For some reason Zorro: the RPG sounds appealing to me. Maybe because a game where everyone is a swashbuckler is always fun, and the setting of early California seems to have a bunch of interesting ways to take it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Millennium Blades is getting the BattleCON Unleashed treatment in a couple weeks, with a final expansion and a big storage option (though in this case, the final expansion's box IS the storage box). There's a preview of the KS page up, $60 for all the new content, $220 for everything MB.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Memnaelar posted:

Any takes on Vindication? Even after watching a play-through I'm not really sure what my feelings are about the game.

I like it a lot, though I've only played a handful of games with my wife. It's definitely got good production values and a lot of replayability due to the large number of cards, possible synergies, and the customization with adding and removing the various expansions. It's also accessible enough that I was able to get her non-gaming self to play multiple games with me, so that was a plus too. I always felt like I had a lot of options at any time, and it could be challenging to evaluate all the possibilities in the early game. Once several turns have passed then you'll probably start building some kind of engine to let you shove around all the cubes, so if that sort of thing appeals then it could be pretty enjoyable. I'd describe it as a mix of resource management, exploration, engine building, and a light territory control theme.

My complaints are:
The number of options feels overwhelming at times, and in those situations you can usually just do something randomly and not feel like you made a bad decision.
There's almost no interaction between players, and with only two players even the limited interactions might not come into play. I don't think I ever got points from the region control mechanic when I played with her, and with only a couple players even controlling a unique region can be pointless - I claimed the trait tile, so she just went for relics instead of giving me those 2 VP.
The game can just end abruptly due to the random win conditions you draw and reveal during the game. It's kind of unsatisfying when you both feel like your master plan is about to come together, but then someone scores an extra 2 points and oh whoops the game is over now because one of you already had 3 relics.
It occasionally feels like there are too many mechanics and that you're constantly referring to the rulebook because you haven't visited this particular region in the last few games or don't remember how an empowered draw works.
The minis are cool but unnecessary, though it looks like in the new expansion they'll have more use.
No variance between characters/guilds beyond your random starting companion. With how diverse the minis are, I'd love to see some interesting powers. This also looks to be addressed in the expansion.

Overall I'm still happy with my purchase, and I think some of my complaints will definitely be addressed when I pull my friends away from our Gloomhaven campaign and we can play a couple 4-5 player games of Vindication. There's a ton of game there, the flow of turns is quick, and I always felt like I was having fun when I played.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

jivjov posted:

Millennium Blades is getting the BattleCON Unleashed treatment in a couple weeks, with a final expansion and a big storage option (though in this case, the final expansion's box IS the storage box). There's a preview of the KS page up, $60 for all the new content, $220 for everything MB.

One thing that this KS kinda highlights that kinda annoys me about L99 products is making KS stretch goals as mini expansions but also releasing (maybe?) other mini expansions, and I have no idea (at a glance) whether or not I have those products already.

I do like their push towards storage solutions, though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

jivjov posted:

The shipping looks shockingly cheap compared to every other kickstarter I've seen recently.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Stygian Fox has another CoC adventure book coming, set in the lamplight era.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stephaniemcalea/hudson-and-brand-shadows-of-the-past

I did some art for this one.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
There's a reprint + mini expansion kickstarter going for The Shipwreck Aracana. I backed the first printing and really enjoy it as a neat little logic puzzle kind of co-op game.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

M a x posted:

There's a reprint + mini expansion kickstarter going for The Shipwreck Aracana. I backed the first printing and really enjoy it as a neat little logic puzzle kind of co-op game.

Ah cool, thanks! I got the original too, and back this because it's a cup of coffee value-wise.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm a sucker for games that can fit in a pouch that can fit in a pocket.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bieeanshee posted:

I'm a sucker for games that can fit in a pouch that can fit in a pocket.

The games by Button Shy are just the thing then! My friends and I played their Sprawlopolis the other day and really enjoyed it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Sentinels Comics RPG went live. Already doubled its goal.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Dawgstar posted:

The Sentinels Comics RPG went live. Already doubled its goal.

I had a blast with this game when I picked up the starter kit at PAXU two years ago, and again when I did a session at Gen Con last year. I'm in for the GM bundle, for sure.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
It looks like we might actually get something out of Project: Dark next week?

I am not holding my breath. But still. Only thing more surprising would be a refund from Deck of Legends since I dodged the Far West bullet.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

dwarf74 posted:

It looks like we might actually get something out of Project: Dark next week?

I am not holding my breath. But still. Only thing more surprising would be a refund from Deck of Legends since I dodged the Far West bullet.

Speaking of Far West, GMS just turned up on twitter again. Literally just replied into a conversation I was having about a lovely anime VA harassing and assaulting people at conventions with a dumb joke about white guys with beards all looking the same.

Glad to see he's still hard at work on everything that isn't Far West.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

This will only be of interest to game designers and possibly writers, but I'm doing an art challenge for February where I'm also licensing the art for games and books.

https://igg.me/at/30bookcovers

Here's one of them.

I'll probably post once more when I'm near the end and have most of the 30 pieces I'm making done.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

I'd play that game.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

bbcisdabomb posted:

I'd play that game.

I think it's called Deadlands

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

ravenkult posted:

This will only be of interest to game designers and possibly writers, but I'm doing an art challenge for February where I'm also licensing the art for games and books.

https://igg.me/at/30bookcovers

Here's one of them.

I'll probably post once more when I'm near the end and have most of the 30 pieces I'm making done.

That´s a really nice cover...*looks into how the pricing works*

Mr.Misfit fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Feb 3, 2019

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

A friend of mine just posted their very first Kickstarter. It's a cool kind of Shadow Of The Colossus Fate game with a focus on community building, the latter half of that is why I'm excited for it. I got to see some preview rules a bit ago and it looks pretty cool, tho I haven't seen the finished rules just yet.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1325743523/titan-hunt

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

A friend of mine just posted their very first Kickstarter. It's a cool kind of Shadow Of The Colossus Fate game with a focus on community building, the latter half of that is why I'm excited for it. I got to see some preview rules a bit ago and it looks pretty cool, tho I haven't seen the finished rules just yet.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1325743523/titan-hunt

Hi! I should probably pop in here, because this is my game and I've been looking forward to finally launching this for so long now!

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Magnusth posted:

Hi! I should probably pop in here, because this is my game and I've been looking forward to finally launching this for so long now!

This is right up my alley, and I'm especially a fan of the pay bump stretch goal. Backed.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Someone talk me out of the absolutely gorgeous PARKS.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Someone talk me out of the absolutely gorgeous PARKS.

Stop posting cool things everyone. I've got 5 things marked for remind me later and I've already accepted that I'll back them all, I can't take this anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Magnusth posted:

I'm just going to need you to confirm that that lion's mane is not composed of human dicks. We've been burnt before.