Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Rudest Buddhist posted:

Hey YOSPOS what's the best way to blast my resume out to a bunch of different companies? I'm up on Hired and I've been using Angel.co. What's the new cool job site to use?

indeed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

LinkedIn + indeed. Also, LinkedIn has functionality that allows you to advertise yourself but also hide the fact you're actively looking for work specifically from your current employer.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Sweet, thanks gang.

Everybody got laid off this week and they want me to "Buy In" and do 100x the work. Time to start looking right?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Rudest Buddhist posted:

Sweet, thanks gang.

Everybody got laid off this week and they want me to "Buy In" and do 100x the work. Time to start looking right?

Unless they are going to pay you 100x the salary, the answer is unequivocally yes.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Rudest Buddhist posted:

Sweet, thanks gang.

time to have started looking was like 2 months ago, sure

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Yep, I've been slowly interviewing since October to get the muscle back. Now I just need to find a company that is not a garbage fire within a 20 minute commute of my new house.

I'm feeling pretty excited and optimistic right now because I don't need to question if it's time to move on.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Always be never not looking.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Schadenboner posted:

Always be never not looking.

you can stop for like 6-12 months into a good job

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

No such thing.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Rudest Buddhist posted:

Now I just need to find a company that is not a garbage fire within a 20 minute commute of my new house.

lol you bought a house far away from a job center when your company was going to poo poo?

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol you bought a house far away from a job center when your company was going to poo poo?

Negative. I bought a house _in_ a job center. Emphasis was on all companies being garbage fires.

Schadenboner posted:

No such thing.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

fun fact: last time i was job hunting, the only contact i got through indeed was... indeed

then they ghosted me after they flew me out for an on-site interview

edit: to be fair i'm pretty sure i flunked the hell out of that interview. it was hard as gently caress tho

edit2: also they asked me a bunch of mysql-specific poo poo when all i had used for past couple years was nosql junk like cassandra, elasticsearch, and mongo and said as much on my resume so eh

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 31, 2019

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Woodstock posted:

Is there a noticeable difference in available opportunities or $$$ with either? They both seem like a step up from where I am now.

who cares, come do low level embedded work w/ me out on the west coast

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Is it worth paying for linked in or no?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

i think you show up near the top of the list to recruiters if you are paid up. maybe

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
after a few months of garbage interviewing I finally found a new job simply because I used to play video games with a dev on the team.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

iospace posted:

Is it worth paying for linked in or no?
the volume of unsolicited recruiters contacting you definitely goes up with premium. I would never pay for it unless I was actively looking.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Diva Cupcake posted:

the volume of unsolicited recruiters contacting you definitely goes up with premium. I would never pay for it unless I was actively looking.

I get several a day, so hard pass

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Several key people confided in me today that they are going to be leaving the company soon. One even said they have a pending offer in hand with somewhere else and needed a reference. On top of some very retarded management decisions literally in the past few days, gently caress this company basically, I absolutely don't regret declining the counter now.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

whoa people pay for linkedin premium

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Achmed Jones posted:

whoa people pay for linkedin premium

I won't lie, I did it for a couple of months and then cancelled when I realised it was very worthless as a job seeker.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I get tons of contacts from LinkedIn but another one we had some success recruiting through was Stackoverflow.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Aramoro posted:

I get tons of contacts from LinkedIn but another one we had some success recruiting through was Stackoverflow.

stackoverflow is essentially static content nowadays

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

qhat posted:

Several key people confided in me today that they are going to be leaving the company soon. One even said they have a pending offer in hand with somewhere else and needed a reference. On top of some very retarded management decisions literally in the past few days, gently caress this company basically, I absolutely don't regret declining the counter now.

always good to get quick validation after a difficult decision

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

fritz posted:

i live 2.5 hours away from your boston office and have been ftr for 4+ years, i'll pm you a resume tonight

That works, we just hired someone who is closer but is still ftr.

One down, 296 to go.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

qhat posted:

retarded

can we be done with this

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

graph posted:

can we be done with this

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

graph posted:

can we be done with this

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

graph posted:

ah, gently caress. I can't believe you've not done with this.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

graph posted:

can we be done with this

Can we be done with you

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

TimWinter posted:

Throwing this out there again- DataRobot with locations in Boston, Colorado, Ukraine, Singapore, and Ohio is hiring.

PM me and send a resume my way- we need a lot of developers of all stripes.

Like, seriously, a lot.

We just made a killer D round and need frontend, devop, and backend engineers.

It looks like your support org is run out of Boston and that Chicago is just a sales office, otherwise I’d throw a resume your way for the sysadmin you guys are looking for.

:sigh:

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

General q: are most years of experience reqs inflated or not for dev or DS jobs?

TimWinter posted:

Throwing this out there again- DataRobot with locations in Boston, Colorado, Ukraine, Singapore, and Ohio is hiring.

PM me and send a resume my way- we need a lot of developers of all stripes.

Like, seriously, a lot.

We just made a killer D round and need frontend, devop, and backend engineers.

This looks really neat and boy is that a big bunch of positions

Sleng Teng fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Sep 23, 2021

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Sleng Teng posted:

General q: are most years of experience reqs inflated or not for dev or DS jobs?

This looks really neat and boy is that a big bunch of positions

It depends. If you're under by a year or two often it won't be a deal breaker if you have the right skills and proven experience. I could only see it being a major issue if it asked for 4/5 years and you're only a couple of years out of University.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

stackoverflow is essentially static content nowadays

Stackoverflow jobs is pretty good, from a recruiters perspective at least.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

DELETE CASCADE posted:

Can we be done with you

graph is the best mod jerk face

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

boy nothing like getting through an hour long technical phone interview, feeling like you're in good shape, then saying the name of a competing company instead of theirs in one of your last sentences

corrected myself and no one said anything but still gently caress me and my dumbshit mouth

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
pro neg

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

boy nothing like getting through an hour long technical phone interview, feeling like you're in good shape, then saying the name of a competing company instead of theirs in one of your last sentences

corrected myself and no one said anything but still gently caress me and my dumbshit mouth
Did you call them Capcom?

Good luck my dude.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Steve Jorbs posted:

Did you call them Capcom?

Good luck my dude.

was looking up konami gaming again before hand since i'm interviewing with them next week, so, uh, awfully close :v: (not gonna lie, besides the anxiety thing it's pretty fuckin funny in retrospect)

the interviewees were two devs and their direct lead though, rather than a manager like I'd expected, so maybe I got peeps who won't care. gotta hope, right?

and thanks :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
I need a job and havent really started looking someone give me a job please.

Thanks in advance