Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I wouldn't call it particularly great for anyone in Venezuela, but yeah. This is going to be huge for people who aren't already starving or crippled by inflation, i.e. Maduro and the military.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Typo posted:

US tried this exact thing by dropping food into africa and stuff in the 1990s what happened was the governments just takes all the food using the military and dole it out to their own supporters while letting everyone else starve

Drop so much they can't do that :colbert:

In all seriousness if they did that I think you'd get a lot more people behind the "well alright intervene then" train.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

That doesn't solve the issue of violating Venezuela's sovereignty in a way worse than supporting a legal challenger to the regime. As well as the response if said efforts were aggressively responded to which likely would end up with armed intervention into Venezuela with how blood thirsty the Trump base is.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

ChaseSP posted:

That doesn't solve the issue of violating Venezuela's sovereignty in a way worse than supporting a legal challenger to the regime. As well as the response if said efforts were aggressively responded to which likely would end up with armed intervention into Venezuela with how blood thirsty the Trump base is.

I think a reasonable observation is that Maduro has violated the sovereignty of Venezuela's people several orders of magnitude more than anyone involved.

Wrecking the Chavez-era Constitution, stacking the Supreme Court, ignoring the National Assembly, creating a fraudulent Constituent Assembly, staging unconstitutional elections, and creating conditions hostile to the health, welfare and continued existence of the vast majority of the people.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

COMRADES posted:

Drop so much they can't do that :colbert:

In all seriousness if they did that I think you'd get a lot more people behind the "well alright intervene then" train.

if you are dropping what amounts to free money from the air you'll find no shortage of government guys with guns to take them

E: nm didn't realize you were jking

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Rust Martialis posted:

I think a reasonable observation is that Maduro has violated the sovereignty of Venezuela's people several orders of magnitude more than anyone involved.

Wrecking the Chavez-era Constitution, stacking the Supreme Court, ignoring the National Assembly, creating a fraudulent Constituent Assembly, staging unconstitutional elections, and creating conditions hostile to the health, welfare and continued existence of the vast majority of the people.

Well there are people not convinced of this so I'm putting it in an example clear to them, I'm not saying the US is violating Venezuela's sovereignty yet.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

If you are in Venezuela, you will need to take precautions against running out of fuel in the very near future. You probably already know this of course, but if things seem bad now they are going to quickly get worse:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/venezuela-government-threatens-board-tanker-fuel-discharged-sources-200937248--finance.html

quote:

PUNTO FIJO, Venezuela/HOUSTON (Reuters) - Venezuela is ramping up pressure on fuel suppliers to deliver cargoes to its state-run oil firm even if payment issues have not been sorted amid U.S. sanctions, while European clients put scheduled export shipments on hold.

The country's fuel stocks have drained further in recent days as domestic refineries produce little and PDVSA faces complications linked to new U.S. sanctions aimed at ousting President Nicolas Maduro from power.

On Thursday, intelligence police and National Guard officials threatened to board a tanker docked at PDVSA's Cardon port, on Venezuela's western coast, to pressure the vessel's crew to discharge diesel that had not been paid for by PDVSA and was sold by U.S. refiner Citgo Petroleum, according to four sources.

The furor dissipated after PDVSA told the crew a court order would be issued to have the cargo discharged, but it underscores growing tension over fuel needs in the country. Venezuela has less than two weeks left of gasoline and diesel supply, according to some estimates, with lines at gas stations starting to form around the nation.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Rust Martialis posted:

Found an actual 2018 UN report on human rights in Venezuela. Oddly the other report by the one rapporteur doesn't mention any of this.

https://www.ohchr.org/Documents/Countries/VE/VenezuelaReport2018_EN.pdf

It is cool and good that you think a plan to make all this worse is the way to go.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Judakel posted:

It is cool and good that you think a plan to make all this worse is the way to go.

No, I want Maduro to resign, not stay.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Rust Martialis posted:

No, I want Maduro to resign, not stay.

Loo you actually think this is clever. "A right wing CIA approved government will be great for venezuela."

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Judakel posted:

Loo you actually think this is clever. "A right wing CIA approved government will be great for venezuela."

I know you aren't going to answer this question because none of you ever really do, but: How is the opposition led by Guiado right-wing? How is Maduro's dictatorship left wing? Because he says that they are?

edit: clarity

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Judakel posted:

Would you care to name this supposed right wing government?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Giggle Goose posted:

I know you aren't going to answer this question because none of you ever really do, but: How is the opposition led by Guiado right-wing? How is Maduro's dictatorship left wing? Because he says that they are?

The opposition was founded by a right wing fundie and removed a picture of bolivar because it wasn't white enough. Lol it is social fascism.

Also lol fishmech

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Judakel posted:

The opposition was founded by a right wing fundie and removed a picture of bolivar because it wasn't white enough. Lol it is social fascism.

Also lol fishmech

What?

Are you ok?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Judakel posted:

Also lol fishmech

You could have just said "I, Judakel, was making it up" or "I, Judakel, think an entirely different group will be flown in to replace the current Venezuela opposition" dude. Since you have no interest in talking about any people who are actually involved.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

fishmech posted:

You could have just said "I, Judakel, was making it up" or "I, Judakel, think an entirely different group will be flown in to replace the current Venezuela opposition" dude. Since you have no interest in talking about any people who are actually involved.

Lol fishmech

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I read the Wikipedia page on Venezuela, let me tell you lot all about it.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Giggle Goose posted:

because Guiado or whoever the imperialists end up installing in his stead, would follow or be forced to do whatever foreign (american) holders of venezuelan debt see as necessary to get their money from the venezuelan people

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

fishmech posted:

You could have just said "I, Judakel, was making it up" or "I, Judakel, think an entirely different group will be flown in to replace the current Venezuela opposition" dude.

err... america does that on the loving reg?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

So you aren't talking about the actual current political situation and instead what you think will happen in your head while presenting it as the current situation. Got it.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

ChaseSP posted:

So you aren't talking about the actual current political situation and instead what you think will happen in your head while presenting it as the current situation. Got it.

Jesus cristo callate

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
what

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
im looking into the future, wondering whats gonna happen, while the real smart guys are looking at the the FACTS and using REASON and LOGIC to talk about the ACTUAL REAL THINGGS THAT EXIST

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
"We will institute a school curriculum that praises capitalism and private industry"

D&D: yeah but are they right wing though.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
but yeah, the main reason why the capitalist imperialists on wall street are supporting a Venezuelan invasion is to get those sweet debt bond interest payments back up and running again, and that money is going to get extracted from the Venezuelan people no matter who gets put in power. if they succeed in getting Maduro ousted, that is

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/vp/status/1091434587727716352?s=21

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

mike pence sucks so bad

while the federal shutdown was going on for longer than a month and hundreds of thousands of workers were not getting paid and SNAP benefits were drying up and people weren't sure if they were going to be able to keep their home or have food the next month this is what pence was sitting up in his room dreaming up as his big reagan moment

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 2, 2019

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Kurnugia posted:

because Guiado or whoever the imperialists end up installing in his stead, would follow or be forced to do whatever foreign (american) holders of venezuelan debt see as necessary to get their money from the venezuelan people

Do you really think Maduro is free to default on foreign debt if he pleases? He is no more free of the influence of American and European capital than a replacement would be. Actually if a new President would stop ruining the economy with idiotic policies they'd probably be more independent, if only because they wouldn't have to rack up such large external debts.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Maduro is literally one of the most incompetent rulers of a country in modern history, and unless they end up electing hitler or stalin I don't see how the citizens of Venezuela end up in a worse position then they are now, because right now they have some of the worst hunger and violence in the world in a country that was prosperous only 10 years ago.

This guy's incompetence and corruption has lead to the starving of his people. Any change is good at this point. He hosed over loving corn production so it just dropped 85% in 3 years because he didnt order enough seeds. Keeping him in office is a death sentence to the good people of the country. You could literally get AirBud the basketball playing dog in power and he would cause less harm through negligence or fraud.

There is a reason why there are mass protests. Its not just ex-Venezuelans posting on twitter. Its the people starving in country.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 2, 2019

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
To clear up some points:

1. It is clear at this point that a large amount of Venezuela's issues were coupled with its inflexible pricing and currency exchange system which essentially sapped state revenue with marginal benefit. The decline in oil prices around 2015 put even more of a burden on the budget but it the system was an issue before them (that said the Bolivar only really majorly devalued after Chavez was incapacitated).

2. Arguably, Guiado comes from Venezuela's traditional right-wing even the party he is apart of is positioned as a centrist one.

3. If Maduro and the PSUV is ousted peacefully, life in Venezuela probably would improve even under Washington Census-style policy. However, this would largely be based on Venezuela essentially living off of IMF loans and dollarization. It isn't that those policies aren't going to lead to their own issues but rather the current system is so mismanaged it will be a large relative improvement. If the result is violence, obviously things will get worse.

4. It remains to be seen how much Russia and Chinese exposure actually is at this point considering the type of interest they have been pulling and how collateralized their loans are. One thing Russia and China can always simply refused to acknowledge haircuts and wait for when the next government is vulnerable to press their advantage.

5. Maduro may still have enough resources to eek out survival for a while, it is simply going to be mean the next government will be even more reliant on the IMF, in particular, to fund itself as the last reserves are used up. As Washington tightens its grip, Maduro and the PSUV will be forced to sell-off every useful asset the country has left.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Squalid posted:

Do you really think Maduro is free to default on foreign debt if he pleases?

yes, i do. i most certainly and definately believe in the right of a nation or an individual to default on their debts. it is called bankruptcy, and you using that as a cause for foreign invasion makes we want to throw up. gently caress off with that imperialist poo poo

zapplez posted:

Maduro is literally one of the most incompetent rulers of a country in modern history, and unless they end up electing hitler or stalin I don't see how the citizens of Venezuela end up in a worse position then they are now, because right now they have some of the worst hunger and violence in the world in a country that was prosperous only 10 years ago.

This guy's incompetence and corruption has lead to the starving of his people. Any change is good at this point. He hosed over loving corn production so it just dropped 85% in 3 years because he didnt order enough seeds. Keeping him in office is a death sentence to the good people of the country. You could literally get AirBud the basketball playing dog in power and he would cause less harm through negligence or fraud.

There is a reason why there are mass protests. Its not just ex-Venezuelans posting on twitter. Its the people starving in country.

the people who were prosperous 10 years ago are indeed the ones looking to overthrow Maduro, but i don't think they're the ones starving under imperialist blockade. the blockade which is also the reason why venezuela couldn't get seed grain btw. maduro might well be a fat incompetent dildo, but that doesn't make american foreign interventions good. so far, imperialist interventions in latin america have resulted in death, destruction and establishment of regimes like the ones Chavez overthrew. however could you figure them doing a pinochet on venezuela would get you to a good place i cannot fathom, but i suspect it has something to do with bond rates

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kurnugia posted:

the blockade which is also the reason why venezuela couldn't get seed grain btw.

this doesn't get more true through repeating it

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kurnugia posted:

yes, i do. i most certainly and definately believe in the right of a nation or an individual to default on their debts. it is called bankruptcy, and you using that as a cause for foreign invasion makes we want to throw up. gently caress off with that imperialist poo poo

the people who were prosperous 10 years ago are indeed the ones looking to overthrow Maduro, but i don't think they're the ones starving under imperialist blockade. the blockade which is also the reason why venezuela couldn't get seed grain btw. maduro might well be a fat incompetent dildo, but that doesn't make american foreign interventions good. so far, imperialist interventions in latin america have resulted in death, destruction and establishment of regimes like the ones Chavez overthrew. however could you figure them doing a pinochet on venezuela would get you to a good place i cannot fathom, but i suspect it has something to do with bond rates

I really don't think you have an idea of what any of the numbers are really like. Its not a small minority that wants Maduro out. It wasn't a small minority that were doing well 10 years ago. Its not a small minority that is starving now. These are things that most people experienced. Its a big deal. Its not small fractions. The country has had near infinite inflation, coupled with shocking increases in hunger and violence. Its affecting everyone.

You can't just blame everything on the USA. Its not like they would be living in this communist paradise if it wasnt for the USA meddling in their poo poo. Its Maduro that either is so retarded or arrogant he has destroyed his country, or he is just so corrupt he ruined it. He isn't some bus driving folk hero just doing whats best for his citizens. He is a thief or an idiot, or probably both.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 2, 2019

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kurnugia posted:

err... america does that on the loving reg?

Please cite your evidence that this is happening in Venezuela.

Kurnugia posted:

the people who were prosperous 10 years ago are indeed the ones looking to overthrow Maduro, but i don't think they're the ones starving under imperialist blockade. the blockade which is also the reason why venezuela couldn't get seed grain btw.

Please cite the "blockade" that you're claiming has existed for many years to back up "they couldn't buy seed grain because of the blockade".

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

zapplez posted:

I really don't think you have an idea of what any of the numbers are really like. Its not a small minority that wants Maduro out. It wasn't a small minority that were doing well 10 years ago. Its not a small minority that is starving now. These are things that most people experienced. Its a big deal. Its not small fractions. The country has had near infinite inflation, coupled with shocking increases in hunger and violence. Its affecting everyone.

And it'll get worse for everyone once the US takes over. That's the whole point of the blockade, to make things miserable enough for enough many people to give justification for a coup, after which lifting the blockade will just magically make things get better again. almost as if it was the blockade that was the cause of the misery and shortages of all those traded goods, not maduro...

GreyjoyBastard posted:

this doesn't get more true through repeating it

trade embargoes are usually the cause of shortages and price inflation. if you wanna argue this isn't true in the case of venezuela, go right ahead

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

zapplez posted:

You can't just blame everything on the USA. Its not like they would be living in this communist paradise if it wasnt for the USA meddling in their poo poo. Its Maduro that either is so retarded or arrogant he has destroyed his country, or he is just so corrupt he ruined it. He isn't some bus driving folk hero just doing whats best for his citizens. He is a thief or an idiot, or probably both.

which doesn't make the US embargoes go away either. maduro might be an idiot, i don't really care. the US doesn't either, since what they're looking for isn't to oust maduro, but to oust the socialists currently in power in venezuela. the US wouldn't lift the blockades if maduro got shot in the dick and they elected bernie to replace him. the point and reason of the blockade is to cause enough misery in venezuela that a coup would look like an improvement. which isn't exactly doing whats best for the venezuelan citizens either...

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Kurnugia posted:

And it'll get worse for everyone once the US takes over. That's the whole point of the blockade, to make things miserable enough for enough many people to give justification for a coup, after which lifting the blockade will just magically make things get better again. almost as if it was the blockade that was the cause of the misery and shortages of all those traded goods, not maduro...

trade embargoes are usually the cause of shortages and price inflation. if you wanna argue this isn't true in the case of venezuela, go right ahead

What the hell trade embargo are you talking about?

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Giggle Goose posted:

What the hell trade embargo are you talking about?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_embargoes

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Kurnugia posted:

The inflationary crisis predated any sanctions on anyone in the country by several years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

DoctorStrangelove posted:

The inflationary crisis predated any sanctions on anyone in the country by several years.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/10/world/americas/obama-freezes-assets-of-seven-venezuelan-officials.html

i mean i can keep writing these things into google for you if you want me to but i don't know how thats going to advance the discussion