Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crackerjack
Nov 7, 2004
crackalackin

Slippery Tilde
There hasn't been many screenshots lately, so let's see some Fashion Fantasy XIV endgame.

Fancy Chair Gang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I noticed something while using a Fantasia just now: are there aesthetician-exclusive face paints? I know there are hairstyles you have to pay the 2000g to get but I don't recall ever seeing a unique face paint.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Thoom posted:

I played feral druid in WOTLK (which was arguably one of the most complicated specs in WoW, and had a 1s GCD). Playing Bard, especially in multi-target situations, makes my head spin. And I'm only in the mid-60s, so I'm still missing an important proc ability.

On the other hand, Red Mage feels relatively sedate. There's not nearly as many OGCDs to weave or buffs/debuffs to track, and most of the decisionmaking is relatively straight forward.

So it's kind of a choose-your-own-adventure deal.

Should have linked the ACTUAL flowchart instead of the meme version, it's more intimidating.

Though, and I think it's been long enough, that it's now okay to say that Cat Druid? Not actually that hard. A lot of it was just people looking at the actual flowchart and assuming, and Cat Druids not bothering to correct the fraudulent assumption. =P

Hybrid Feral, on the other hand, that's an almost entire other ball of wax. I did that for all of Wrath and part of Cata, was fun, and probably why I latched even harder onto WAR during the lead-up to HW.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 1, 2019

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Really wish there was a good hairstyle album to see what the super expensive hairstyles look like.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mymla posted:

Yeah when you hit max level, most classes really have more like a 1.25 second base gcd.

When oGCDs are thrown in you can definitely be hitting buttons about that fast, though actual GCD won't go that low outside extreme cases.

My sam has 2500+ sks and sometimes our astro throws an enhanced Arrow on me for kicks, which pushes my gcd below 1.5 seconds. This feels screamingly fast and kenkis are flying everywhere and my buffs don't line up any more and where did all my TP go.

That enhanced Arrow will actually gently caress up my opener if thrown on me near the start because it'll leave me with the bad choice of having to delay Hagakure by nearly a full three sen combos or the worse choice of not attacking for several seconds until things line up again. It could be worked around if I expected it but that drat Arrow is never announced and I only know it's there when I feel myself being pulled into the Speed Force.

warcraft_boyfriend_99
Aug 12, 2007

by Pragmatica
the game finally got around to finishing downloading on fiber... good grief. ok so from what I understand, I just want to be on a preferred server on the same datacenter as excalibur then? (im in the US). probably going black mage as I'm big time spell dps normally. I see there is a lot of debate about damage meters and how its verboten to mention them... that makes me think that higher level raiding may not really be a thing?

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Should have linked the ACTUAL flowchart instead of the meme version, it's more intimidating.

Though, and I think it's been long enough, that it's now okay to say that Cat Druid? Not actually that hard. A lot of it was just people looking at the actual flowchart and assuming, and Cat Druids not bothering to correct the fraudulent assumption. =P

Hybrid Feral, on the other hand, that's an almost entire other ball of wax. I did that for all of Wrath and part of Cata, was fun, and probably why I latched even harder onto WAR during the lead-up to HW.

You can't say stuff like this and not link the actual flowchart.

I play BRD in raid and the main thing I personally screw up is forgetting to iron jaws and dropping dots and it feels so bad every time it happens. BRD is so drat busy, you have multiple oGCDs to watch, multiple timers to keep ticking, Foes to use when MP fills up. Its a lot to manage.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

warcraft_boyfriend_99 posted:

the game finally got around to finishing downloading on fiber... good grief. ok so from what I understand, I just want to be on a preferred server on the same datacenter as excalibur then? (im in the US). probably going black mage as I'm big time spell dps normally. I see there is a lot of debate about damage meters and how its verboten to mention them... that makes me think that higher level raiding may not really be a thing?

High end raids are very much a thing.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

BrightWing posted:

You can't say stuff like this and not link the actual flowchart.

I play BRD in raid and the main thing I personally screw up is forgetting to iron jaws and dropping dots and it feels so bad every time it happens. BRD is so drat busy, you have multiple oGCDs to watch, multiple timers to keep ticking, Foes to use when MP fills up. Its a lot to manage.

Ask, and ye shall receive. I do have to say, though, that FFXIV's buff tracking is utter garbage compared to what you could achieve with WoW.

All you REALLY had to do for that job was

* Keep your mondo bleed dot (Rip) rolling.
* Keep your smaller dot (rake) rolling.
* Keep your two debuffs (Faerie Fire and Mangle) rolling
* Keep your self-buff (Savage Roar) up
* Dump excess resources into Ferocious Bite.
* And then occasionally, you'd get "cast anything for free!" procs from Omen of Clarity.

(@warcraft_boyfriend_99: If you decide to stick with the game, I would suggest Samurai for a Cat-like experience, or Warrior for a Hybrid Feral-like experience.)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 2, 2019

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I think the reason most people found cat druid hard was because there wasn't really a straightforward flowchart or rotation you could follow. You had to read about 15-20 seconds into the future and balance your energy/combo points so you didn't lose uptime on a crucial buff/debuff. Which often involved not pressing buttons and just letting your energy fill up for a bit.

In that respect, it was pretty unique. I can't think of any job in this game where you ever want to not be pushing buttons.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Ask, and ye shall receive. I do have to say, though, that FFXIV's buff tracking is utter garbage compared to what you could achieve with WoW.

The one thing keeping me from playing BRD or SMN more is the bad DOT tracking. When you have a focus bar up on a mob it should only show you your DOTs.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Is MCH the only DPS with no dots?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Spuzzz posted:

The one thing keeping me from playing BRD or SMN more is the bad DOT tracking. When you have a focus bar up on a mob it should only show you your DOTs.

Guess what option you can set

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

RDM has no DoTs.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

They took away our dots.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Fracture......

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Control Volume posted:

Guess what option you can set

That toggle to only see your own personal debuffs is equally as useless.

There are certain debuffs that should be shown, regardless of the source or setting:

* Piercing/Slashing/Blunt
* Vulnerability
* Feint/Addle
* Contagion/Radiant Shield
* Eye For Eye
* Reprisal/Dismantle
* Stuns/Paralyzes/Silences/Bind/Heavy

Plus at least one thing that I am probably forgetting.

But the way things are, you either get to see thirty instances of Stormbite/Caustic/Bio III/Miasma III/Chaos Thrust/Demolish/Shadow Fang/Thunder and try to parse out the above, OR, things that you, and ONLY YOU apply.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 2, 2019

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Pretty sure there's still the issue that your own debuffs won't show up regardless of whether you have that flag set if the target has too many total effects on them. Bosses in 24 man raids S rank hunts can reach that point depending on what jobs are present.

I think showing only your own debuffs (but *always* showing them) plus a list of common effects and important poo poo like Trick Attack would work better than the current status quo of forcing the client to track a dozen different bard dots ticking away on TG Cid.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
There should definitely be a setting that's just "effects which feasibly concern me" like your own DoTs or any sort of damage reduction/crit buff/whatever.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Cappy posted:

RDM has no DoTs.
Oh yeah, you're right. I think I just don't like managing DOTs that much because MCH and RDM are my favorite DPS classes.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also just lmao if you don't have eight different egg timers by your computer that you set every time you use an ability with a timer.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

High end raiding is absolutely a thing. And it is every bit as and frequently more complex than WoW Mythics, especially since the hardest raiding is 8 man content. Personal responsibility is much much higher.

The situation with meters is you don’t talk about them in public content or name and shame with them. They’re theoretically not allowed but the developers know drat well everyone has them. The rule exists to keep people civil and as non toxic as possible.

KoB
May 1, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also just lmao if you don't have eight different egg timers by your computer that you set every time you use an ability with a timer.

DOTs are just reverse buffs.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Failboattootoot posted:

High end raids are very much a thing.

here is a version with just the music, if you're into that sort of thing.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Fleche is really just a 50 potency 25 second dot when you think about it.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Leofish posted:

I noticed something while using a Fantasia just now: are there aesthetician-exclusive face paints? I know there are hairstyles you have to pay the 2000g to get but I don't recall ever seeing a unique face paint.

There is at least one. The first Halloween event in 2.x had a facepaint as a reward. I'm not sure if there are any others.

warcraft_boyfriend_99
Aug 12, 2007

by Pragmatica

Leraika posted:

here is a version with just the music, if you're into that sort of thing.

ok , that was pretty epic. That was a pretty skilled group too. I'm liking this smaller raid size idea, where everyone has some accountability. Having REAL vocals from 7min on though was a bit jarring, I don't need vocals in boss fights lol. I was a litle dissapointed with all the glimmer on the grass now that I have started so added in the alive IV preset for reshade and the glimmer/stutter fix for nvidia inspector. also turned on mfaa and used geforce experience to max everything. I don't know if hairworks/eyeworks is neccesary though, seems like its not going to add anything really additional on a 1080p screen.

if there are any other mods/addons you guys suggest, let me know.

so now I have my first quest. If im still here in 20 game hours I will buy the game and (hopefully) get to join up with you all.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Get ready for a lot of boss songs with vocals, like, almost all of them

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

Tonight I got a healer that cast Medica 2 before every pull, and got mad when I clicked it off.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
7 hours until fanfest, fellow gamers

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Countblanc posted:

7 hours until fanfest, fellow gamers

Let's post insane theories.

-Reveal one of the major cities.
-More info on farms
-An interminable amount of time devoted to the server move which is the least interesting thing they could possibly talk about
-New race officially announced.
-New Job shown for the first time, probably the Gunblade job assuming it's real.
-Next 8 man raid teased.
-Some of the new AF sets shown.
-SE's president comes out on stage to announce some insane crossover event, him and Yoshi P do the Carlton off the stage (DANCER CONFIRMED)

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Having REAL vocals from 7min on though was a bit jarring, I don't need vocals in boss fights lol

Hottest take in this thread bar none.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

ok , that was pretty epic. That was a pretty skilled group too. I'm liking this smaller raid size idea, where everyone has some accountability. Having REAL vocals from 7min on though was a bit jarring, I don't need vocals in boss fights lol. I was a litle dissapointed with all the glimmer on the grass now that I have started so added in the alive IV preset for reshade and the glimmer/stutter fix for nvidia inspector. also turned on mfaa and used geforce experience to max everything. I don't know if hairworks/eyeworks is neccesary though, seems like its not going to add anything really additional on a 1080p screen.

if there are any other mods/addons you guys suggest, let me know.

so now I have my first quest. If im still here in 20 game hours I will buy the game and (hopefully) get to join up with you all.

You get used to the vocals. Honestly more Primals have them than not.

FF14 puts a poo poo load of effort into music, and also tends to orchestrate the songs to match with phase transitions. Getting Akh Morned to hell and back by Bahamut as Answers hit a crescendo (WITNESS!) is still one of the most memorable raiding experiences I’ve had in ANY MMORPG.

It’s really hard to compare it to anything else. It’s just hard to genuinely be invested in what’s going on in other MMOs that don’t have the same production values.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 2, 2019

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Having REAL vocals from 7min on though was a bit jarring, I don't need vocals in boss fights lol.

Hate to tell you this but all the best boss tunes have vocals and they rule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0Jwsypbz10

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Failboattootoot posted:

Let's post insane theories.

-Reveal one of the major cities.
-More info on farms
-An interminable amount of time devoted to the server move which is the least interesting thing they could possibly talk about
-New race officially announced.
-New Job shown for the first time, probably the Gunblade job assuming it's real.
-Next 8 man raid teased.
-Some of the new AF sets shown.
-SE's president comes out on stage to announce some insane crossover event, him and Yoshi P do the Carlton off the stage (DANCER CONFIRMED)

these are the safest "insane" theories i've ever seen!!

- reveal that there will be three new jobs in Shadowbringers
- new gold saucer game based on FFT but you make teams with your minions
- Ultimate Thordan
- yoship will look directly at the camera and say in perfect english "if you don't DPS as a healer I am going to ban you."
- Ultimate Moggle Mog

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

- blitzball

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Countblanc posted:

- yoship will look directly at the camera and say in perfect english "if you don't DPS as a healer I am going to ban you."
Man, if only... I've had entirely too many 'honest' healers lately.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

- WAR buffs
- chocobo
- new kinds of swords
- boats????
- Minfilia is back and somewhat taller than before
- Four Y'shtolas
- chocobo!

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Countblanc posted:

- Ultimate Moggle Mog

This would have been great, and the natural third ARR Ultimate had they done one, but I'm guessing they're moving on to HW, where the obvious ones are Thordan (possibly with guest Nidhogg and Lahabrea) and Brute Justice 2: Bruter Justice, now with even more stacking robots. Probably the entire Warring Triad at once if they do a third.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

jalapeno_dude posted:

Probably the entire Warring Triad at once if they do a third.

Oh GOD