Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think it's okay, even good, to be suspicious of Guaido's actions, motivations and sources of support, and through doing so, make sure he is held to the appropriate standard: that he must continue to do what is reasonable to restore Venezuela's constitutional democracy. What's not okay is writing him off entirely at this point and sitting on our hands as we wait for the second coming of Christ to descend from the heavens and personally remove Maduro from power.

Whether it's Guaido or someone else, we have to accept that we'll probably never get the clean, perfect leader to confront the PSUV and remove them from power without any external support from sources we might prefer stayed the gently caress out of the situation. Guaido seems, at this point, at least good enough that all those who are opposed to Maduro and Chavismo should work with him, criticizing where necessary and supporting where possible, to restore a free and democratic Venezuela.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Please find some sort of supporting evidence for the “right wing coup” framing.

I don't know what else you'd call a coup with the support of the US and Brazil when the leader openly admits that one of his goals is the privatization of industry?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

A Typical Goon posted:

I don't know what else you'd call a coup with the support of the US and Brazil when the leader openly admits that one of his goals is the privatization of industry?

Did you get that last bit from that idiot on Reddit? Because way too many people in this thread have been treating him as a credible source.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Did you get that last bit from that idiot on Reddit? Because way too many people in this thread have been treating him as a credible source.

What? No. It's from Guiado's party policy, the original which has been posted multiple times in this thread?

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Since the quality of English-language reporting around Venezuela is so poo poo, can we at least have some indicator that y'all have vetted your sources a little when you post?

What is your qualification for this, what counts as vetting? Max Blumenthal is a respected and credited journalist with a long career.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

GoLambo posted:

What is your qualification for this, what counts as vetting? Max Blumenthal is a respected and credited journalist with a long career.

well he's an anti semite for starters

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

Mnoba posted:

well he's an anti semite for starters

Death to the apartheid state of Israel. But also lol way to jump right to the classic ring wing smear of critical of israel = anti-semite.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GoLambo posted:

He's also got some things pretty spectacularly wrong, like when he bought into White Helmets conspiracy theories in Syria. In this article, he seems to be uncritically citing a whole bunch of sources we already know to be biased, like Venezuelanalysis, leading me to wonder how much of his acclaimed journalistic skills he's actually bothered to deploy here. I mean, all it would take is an addition like 'Venezuelanalysis, a non-profit news site that was established with Venezuelan government funding and technical support, and is currently hosted by the pro-government site Aporrea.org, says that...'

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

quote:

In 2009, the Generation 2007 youth activists staged their most provocative demonstration yet, dropping their pants on public roads...

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

A Typical Goon posted:

Oh, it’s this line again. Wonderful.

Show me what Guaidó wants to do with respect to privatising PDVSA and how it differs from concessions granted by the Maduro government this day

Please explain how tweets are more relevant in assessing political alignment than $500k gifts given for political inaugurations

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Furia posted:

Oh, it’s this line again. Wonderful.

Show me what Guaidó wants to do with respect to privatising PDVSA and how it differs from concessions granted by the Maduro government this day

Actually I think it's likely the remark applies to de-nationalizing some of the companies that Maduro took over over the years, every time there was another shortage of something they would inevitably claim Company X was hoarding or betraying the people, etc. and then seize it. Said company would then basically be looted and collapse.

https://venezuelanalysis.com/tag/nationalization

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/venezuela/article138402248.html

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Feb 2, 2019

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

He's also got some things pretty spectacularly wrong, like when he bought into White Helmets conspiracy theories in Syria. In this article, he seems to be uncritically citing a whole bunch of sources we already know to be biased, like Venezuelanalysis, leading me to wonder how much of his acclaimed journalistic skills he's actually bothered to deploy here. I mean, all it would take is an addition like 'Venezuelanalysis, a non-profit news site that was established with Venezuelan government funding and technical support, and is currently hosted by the pro-government site Aporrea.org, says that...'

He's right about the White Helmets though. So your argument is that your preferred bias in who is a trustworthy source is better than his. Got it. I mean it's not like state funded news is loving rare in this world what with the BBC to NPR and a ton of other sources that are considered reputable. Maybe evidence isn't what you're after, but rather evidence that matches with your preconceived notions of what's correct?

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
What are white helmets and what does it matter to Venezuela?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GoLambo posted:

Death to the apartheid state of Israel.

Holy poo poo. Take this trash to another thread. This is Venezuela discussion.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

zapplez posted:

They sure do come in waves don't they.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The white helmets are an organization that deal with rescue and repair services in parts of Syria that are rebel controlled. The conspiracy theories about them range from them being secret Al Qaeda members to being undercover black operatives that stage chemical and biological attacks in order to hurt Assad or Russian troops in the region, or openly operating as mercenaries for the rebel militias / Saudi Arabia / ISIS. It's a popular conspiracy among the alt-right as well; cernovich and Spencer both called them operatives for Israel that were staging these things to get the US involved in the region. Trump cut off funding for them back in May of last year but eventually folded and started funding them again in July.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

Grapplejack posted:

The white helmets are an organization that deal with rescue and repair services in parts of Syria that are rebel controlled. The conspiracy theories about them range from them being secret Al Qaeda members to being undercover black operatives that stage chemical and biological attacks in order to hurt Assad or Russian troops in the region, or openly operating as mercenaries for the rebel militias / Saudi Arabia / ISIS. It's a popular conspiracy among the alt-right as well; cernovich and Spencer both called them operatives for Israel that were staging these things to get the US involved in the region. Trump cut off funding for them back in May of last year but eventually folded and started funding them again in July.

drat that sounds pretty crazy. Thankfully Max Blumenthal never said anything like that and only insisted they had pro interventionist western backing. Kinda seems to be his MO if you look into his reporting, its a big thing he cares about.

zapplez posted:

I'm responding to a dumb character assassination snipe what the gently caress do you want?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

GoLambo posted:

drat that sounds pretty crazy. Thankfully Max Blumenthal never said anything like that and only insisted they had pro interventionist western backing. Kinda seems to be his MO if you look into his reporting, its a big thing he cares about.

Yeah man the conspiracy well runs deep. He's probably right though; if you're pro-rebel the white helmets help clean up the back lines and build support in those areas, so it makes sense to back them for strategic reasons if you're in that camp.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Discendo Vox posted:

Please find some sort of supporting evidence for the “right wing coup” framing.

PT6A posted:

I think it's okay, even good, to be suspicious of Guaido's actions, motivations and sources of support, and through doing so, make sure he is held to the appropriate standard: that he must continue to do what is reasonable to restore Venezuela's constitutional democracy. What's not okay is writing him off entirely at this point and sitting on our hands as we wait for the second coming of Christ to descend from the heavens and personally remove Maduro from power.

Whether it's Guaido or someone else, we have to accept that we'll probably never get the clean, perfect leader to confront the PSUV and remove them from power without any external support from sources we might prefer stayed the gently caress out of the situation. Guaido seems, at this point, at least good enough that all those who are opposed to Maduro and Chavismo should work with him, criticizing where necessary and supporting where possible, to restore a free and democratic Venezuela.

lol

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
There are protests happening in the country today. The biggest since January 23, when this whole thing started to unfold.

They're just starting now. Here's a couple of shots from Caracas earlier this morning:

https://twitter.com/EfectoCocuyo/status/1091710189483581441

https://twitter.com/sumariumcom/status/1091708579613163521

https://twitter.com/apichardob/status/1091704163732471808

Protesters are setting off from rally points across the city and meeting at a place in Las Mercedes. I'm guessing there will be a big rally there, and that Guaido will probably speak.

We also had a high-ranking defection from the regime this morning from Air Force Division General Estéban Yánez Rodríguez. Yanez recognizes Guaido as president, and says that "90% of the National Bolivarian Armed forces do not support the dictator, they support the people of Venezuela".

Here's his video:

https://twitter.com/Gbastidas/status/1091673877644787712

Rodriguez is the Director of Strategic Planning at the Air Force High Command, as his profile page on the Air Force page confirms (archived here for when they remove him from the page).

EDIT: This is pretty big. National Bolivarian Police officers pulling back from a protest. You can see one of the officers hugging a protester. The man recording says, "Excellent, brothers, excellent!"

https://twitter.com/ElyangelicaNews/status/1091713696609509377

Let me clarify: I say "pretty big" because it's rare to see officers withdrawing from a protest like this. It's hard to tell from the video if the officers decided en masse to disobey orders to remain at the protest, or if they were ordered to pull back. The fact that they seem to be casually turning around and walking away from the protester makes me think that the former is more likely.

This video also makes me think of the fact that, as I mentioned in an earlier post, the FAES is doing a lot of the repression this time around (as opposed to rank-and-file National Bolivarian Police, which is who you see in this video). I wonder if that's because the leadership thinks that they can't rely on the rank-and-file anymore.

EDIT 2: Another shot of the police in Barquisimeto withdrawing. You don't hear anyone in the video says, but El Pitazo (which is a very reliable news source) says that the protesters asked the police to withdraw, to which "a National Bolivarian Police officer" allegedly replied: "I'd rather withdraw my men than repress the people":

https://twitter.com/ElPitazoTV/status/1091703928658554880

Chuck Boone fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 2, 2019

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Oh boy, good to see some police not attacking the protesters for once. Stay safe anyway, venegoons.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
This seems encouraging. Hopefully the police continue to do the right thing and any question of US military intervention becomes a moot point.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

PT6A posted:

This seems encouraging. Hopefully the police continue to do the right thing and any question of US military intervention becomes a moot point.

Let us pray the Venezuelan people will coup themselves and US help in establishing a responsible government of REASON and LOGIC, will be unnecessary

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

When the people of a country "coup themselves," we have a special word for it: democracy.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah how dare us brown people take a stand for ourselves, right? Please keep enlightening us, white saviors.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
So it seems like its happening, now. The one thing Maduro still had keeping him there was the armed forces support. Without that, he is a dead man walking

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

PT6A posted:

When the people of a country "coup themselves," we have a special word for it: democracy.

Even when it's foreign backed (and every government shift is to some degree or another anyways - whether a coup, civil war, or bog standard lawful transition/election) it's still people "couping themselves". Coups without lots of local support tend to be failed coups unless you've got something like the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan rolling in behind it.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 2, 2019

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Ah yes, the famous French Coup

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I too remember the declaration of right wing coup, the rightwing fascistary war and the coupstitutional conventions.

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni

Elias_Maluco posted:

So it seems like its happening, now. The one thing Maduro still had keeping him there was the armed forces support. Without that, he is a dead man walking

It's still too early to say, but it does feel like things may unwind soon. If they don't, that guy who released the video disavowing Maduro and the guards who refused to repress protestors are going to wind up in jail getting tortured.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

I too remember the declaration of right wing coup, the rightwing fascistary war and the coupstitutional conventions.

Oh yeah, this isn't a coup going on in Venezuela - that would imply Maduro has any legitimacy and he sure as poo poo doesn't.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Well, if it happens without civil war or USA troops, is gonna be better than I expected it could be

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

Well, if it happens without civil war or USA troops, is gonna be better than I expected it could be

That's kind of what most, or even all of us, who support the opposition and a change of government were saying was the preferred outcome and the one most likely to fell Maduro. Public support for the opposition is much greater than for the government at the moment, and really the PSUV is dependent on the military and the police to keep power, with pressure from the people in the form of demonstrations and now also foreign pressure in the form of harsher economic sanctions and international recognition of the current opposition leader as the legitimate leader of Venezuela, this may be enough to make the government's support from the security apparatus disappear.

I'd say it's too early yet to tell if this is though.

I'd say both a US invasion and a general civil war (the Syrian analogy often pulled up is not a good one I believe, Venezuela is very far from being as ethnically and relgiously fractured as Syria and the opposition simply has way too much public support) are kind of unlikely, especially if the regime's military and police support evaporates, I don't know if the collectivos are strong enough, or willing, on their own to support the regime and start a civil war if things truly go south, and as far as I've been given to understand alot of those are nowadays more like gangsters and drug traffickers who are occasionally employed in the business of beating demonstrators or strike busting.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 2, 2019

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Oh, no doubt about it. I was just under the impression that the military would support him to the end, from everything Ive read here and everywhere else. From the start what it seemed to me was that Maduro would last as long as the military supported him

Any confirmation if what he says is true (that 90% of the military is against maduro)?

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Elias_Maluco posted:

Oh, no doubt about it. I was just under the impression that the military would support him to the end, from everything Ive read here and everywhere else

Any confirmation if what he says is true (that 90% of the military is against maduro)?

Not that I’m aware of. Hell, I don’t even see it as being plausible except for rank and file

Don’t want to take him at his word and it’s all there is at the moment

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I think the thread just broke. It's doing that thing where it's showing a new post and it won't show.

Fun times.

Furia posted:

Not that I’m aware of. Hell, I don’t even see it as being plausible except for rank and file

That's pretty significant though. It means they might be severely limited in what they can use the military for, it might be way too risky to send them to deal with demonstrations if significant numbers of the rank and file might be sympathetic towards the demonstrators. Even the guys who are kind of okay with the current situation of getting enough food and medicine for them and their families might get pushed over the edge if they actually are asked to beat and/or shoot protesters and not just jog around with Maduro in vidoes.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 2, 2019

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Randarkman posted:

I think the thread just broke. It's doing that thing where it's showing a new post and it won't show.

Fun times.

You just fixed it. Apparently it’s what happens when someone deletes a post but I can’t remember where I read that. Another thread with the same problem probably

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni

Elias_Maluco posted:

Oh, no doubt about it. I was just under the impression that the military would support him to the end, from everything Ive read here and everywhere else. From the start what it seemed to me was that Maduro would last as long as the military supported him

That's kind of impossible to gauge. The problem is, the military is what's keeping Maduro in power but at the same time, there's a lot of fear that soldiers might try to overthrow him because of how much discontent there is. In practice, that means that everyone needs to appear to support the government outwardly unless they want to be 'taken in for questioning' and have their families detained as well. I don't doubt there's significant discontent within the lower ranks of the military, but who knows how many of them really want Maduro gone?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Furia posted:

Even if the military want to ditch Maduro I am sure a significant number of them would prefer to go down the road of a military coup than let someone outside their institution take charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Munin posted:

Even if the military want to ditch Maduro I am sure a significant number of them would prefer to go down the road of a military coup than let someone outside their institution take charge.

Not necessarily. To be at the level where that would behoove you, I imagine you would also be at the level where the amnesty law starts looking pretty good

It’s a crapshoot, really