Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

First Yoko Taro writes for 5.0
Then he writes FF16

Then he runs Square-Enix
Then he disbands S-E because he feels like it.

needs to keep earning enough money for cup ramen though.

Also it is kind of hilarious just how completely silent they were about male veira or anything like it. Just literally nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
So new raid is Mammets finding Emil's head and rebeling to start a new Kingdom. Eventually becoming as gods.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
This is known but it's just now sinking in

GUYS WE'RE GETTING A :yokotaro: RAID

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I can't wait for Alphinaud to become a Summoner, get Lakshmi-egi, and leave me platinum mad that I still only have the original three from ARR. :argh:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

https://twitter.com/HJZ_artemi/status/866202803269648384

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Monks should get machine head fist weapons.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhonne posted:

Monks should get machine head fist weapons.

Monks should get Emil-head fist weapons.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I've never played Nier. Tell me about Yoko Taro. Why does he wear the mask?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

No one cared who he was until he put on the mask.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
Considering the emphasis on NIER: AUTOMATA and no mention otherwise, I don't think they'll include Drakengard, maybe a small mention at best. Since while NieR did originate from Drakengard, it is basically a seperate universe. I can totally see them bringing in og NieR stuff though.

I'm curious how they'll weave it in, since the Yo-Kai, DQ, and MH events boiled down to "hunt strange new monster" (and find the Yo-Kai) for lore. Hopefully doesn't take so many words again I start scene-skipping like I did for Ivalice.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Because he is a drunk weirdo and he rules.

As far as integration into this game, garlean experiments gone terribly awry.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Rastan Beeza posted:

Considering the emphasis on NIER: AUTOMATA and no mention otherwise, I don't think they'll include Drakengard, maybe a small mention at best. Since while NieR did originate from Drakengard, it is basically a seperate universe. I can totally see them bringing in og NieR stuff though.

I'm curious how they'll weave it in, since the Yo-Kai, DQ, and MH events boiled down to "hunt strange new monster" (and find the Yo-Kai) for lore. Hopefully doesn't take so many words again I start scene-skipping like I did for Ivalice.

The promo image features 2P so it's actually a secret Soul Calibur crossover raid.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rastan Beeza posted:

Nier Automata makes pretty direct references to Drakengard and vice-versa so I expect we'll at least get a cameo boss or something like how Vagrant Story gets one in Ivalice.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

"gunblade is a tank confirmed!"

hell yes

[thancred reloads mid battle]

YEAH

[enemies explode with each slash]

YEAH!!!

[blade is searing red hot after combat]

:vince:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

thank you yoshi p for this blessed gift of "literally dark knight stapled to machinist" so i can play my two favorite classes at the same time

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 2, 2019

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't think Yoko Taro is going to play by the rules whatsoever so it being more Drakengard than Nier wouldn't surprise me

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yoko Taro is a japanese game dev that's worked on several games, such as the infamous Drakengard. His games were always kinda weird and interesting but never really sold well for various reasons, usually cause they sucked to actually play. Back in 2010 he made Nier, which took place on a post-apocalyptic world. It was also a sequel of sorts to Drakengard, being based off the weirdest ending in that incredibly weird game. Nier also didn't sell too well, but it was fantastically heart-wrenching and had a phenomenal soundtrack, so it built up kind of a cult following. Then comes E3 2015 and out of the blue there's an announcement for a sequel to Nier, being made by noted fun game studio Platinum. Literally no one was expecting it and then Yoko Taro comes out on stage wearing this great skull mask of one of Nier's characters and the internet just kinda exploded for a while.

Read those loving lps I linked to see just why this guy is so beloved.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

He's this weird mix of thoughtful/empathetic and bold/unconventional. In his games he wants players to question why they're killing so much - most protagonists in the Drakengard series are mass murderers with the personality traits to match. He also does kinder things like making the combat accessible for most, then also puts lovely rewards at the end of long and tedious sidequests. His game endings tend to be brutal in a good way, and he's great at establishing pathos for the in-game characters.

He wears the mask because he's a bit shy and he wants players to focus on the games rather than him. He did one video with a hand puppet. He's a trip and a pro follow on Twitter.

Saito is a really good producer partner for him - lets Taro be himself but gives him some guidance and structure.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
waiting to be able to give up my loot roll in order to give someone else who queues for the raid next a buff

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yoko Taro is married to the artist for Taiko no Tatsujin, so he's cool by extension.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

isk posted:

He wears the mask because [...] he wants players to focus on the games rather than him.

This seems like it'd have the opposite effect

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
The last boss of the raid should be the end credits(Nier spoiler)

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Still hoping for Ronso as playable race, or least to be the replacement for male viera, and if that fails then gently caress it chuck em in as a beast tribe or something.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Nu Mou should be playable what is this YoshiP

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Best thing so far is Urianger's new look. I like the other new costumes too. I will unlock Gunbreaker and play it for a week then just use it for dress-up.

I really hope they have male Vieras because gender-locked races are stupid. Even though I'm never switching from my lady elf.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Rhonne posted:

The last boss of the raid should be the end credits(Nier spoiler)

Finally we can defeat YoshiP in single combat.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Just when you thought RDM couldn't get any more sweet:

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Those boots look dumb as heck.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Captain Cappy posted:

Those boots look dumb as heck.

Yah, it's great.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'll take the hat. In fact, I'd be as bold to say that the game needs more hats with ridiculously huge feathers.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I don't really understand the worship Yoko Taro gets.

Nier 1 was bad.
Drakengard 1 played like rear end but had amazing music.
Drakengard 2 was bad.
Drakengard 3 was bad to mediocre.
Automata was okay, but I feel like it's way overblown.

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 2, 2019

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I'll explain it for you: 2B is a babe and I want her to step on me.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Verranicus posted:

I don't really understand the worship Yoko Taro gets.

Nier 1 was bad.
Drakengard 1 played like rear end but had amazing music.
Drakengard 2 was bad.
Drakengard 3 was bad to mediocre.
Automata was okay, but I feel like it's way overblown.

To each their own - I got on board with the first Nier. It's flawed and uneven but it also takes a lot of risks and the story/world/characters worked for me. Like, who the gently caress puts a text adventure in the middle of an open world RPG (and it somehow fits)?

Also the soundtrack slaps and the voice acting is A+

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Drakengard 2 also didn't have anything do to with Yoko Taro.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I just don't get how him putting weird poo poo in his games translates to him being some sort of game design savant like the internet treats him as.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Verranicus posted:

I just don't get how him putting weird poo poo in his games translates to him being some sort of game design savant like the internet treats him as.

Taste is subjective, OP

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Verranicus posted:

It's because you got permanent bad opinions Verranicus. There is no cure.

He's broadly mediocre, none of his games are particularly good mechanically, as a whole product. But what he did in Nier 1, and continued into Nier A, was use game mechanics as an integral part to those games stories and used them to elicit an emotional response. Which is something only a video game can do and is also something vanishingly uncommon. At least in the case of the Niers, his stories also tend to thoughtful and a good source of introspection, asking ethical questions of the player. so I have high hopes for unique raid mechanics and a good story. That good story part being a striking departure from how obscenely boring Ivalice was.

I am sure some irony lord will be in here shortly to well actually that his thoughts are sub philosophy 101 tier and lol at caring about a video game story but don't @me you boor.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
forget all that. before the live letter started, they were playing a new remix of the theme from dun scaith. return to dun scaith confirmed

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

isk posted:

To each their own - I got on board with the first Nier. It's flawed and uneven but it also takes a lot of risks and the story/world/characters worked for me. Like, who the gently caress puts a text adventure in the middle of an open world RPG (and it somehow fits)?

Also the soundtrack slaps and the voice acting is A+

What Failboattootoot just said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Failboattootoot posted:

It's because you got permanent bad opinions Verranicus. There is no cure.

He's broadly mediocre, none of his games are particularly good mechanically, as a whole product. But what he did in Nier 1, and continued into Nier A, was use game mechanics as an integral part to those games stories and used them to elicit an emotional response. Which is something only a video game can do and is also something vanishingly uncommon. At least in the case of the Niers, his stories also tend to thoughtful and a good source of introspection, asking ethical questions of the player. so I have high hopes for unique raid mechanics and a good story. That good story part being a striking departure from how obscenely boring Ivalice was.

I am sure some irony lord will be in here shortly to well actually that his thoughts are sub philosophy 101 tier and lol at caring about a video game story but don't @me you boor.

Doing the whole "what if the player was actually doing bad stuff???" thing in every game isn't insightful.