Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Cabbit posted:

Just when you thought RDM couldn't get any more sweet:

I'm getting pretty tired of the short skirt/thigh high boots combo when the male version always has pants instead. They should let everyone wear all the cool pants/skirts they want.

I like the hat though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
for comparison, the male version

Warrior of Dandiness

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

When will we finally enter the age of true gender equality where men can finally show off the skin between their short shorts and thigh high boots?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Verranicus posted:

Doing the whole "what if the player was actually doing bad stuff???" thing in every game isn't insightful.

That's not really an accurate representation of Nier A, nor is it what makes his games insightful.

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I'm getting pretty tired of the short skirt/thigh high boots combo when the male version always has pants instead. They should let everyone wear all the cool pants/skirts they want.

I like the hat though.

Agreed. The game is getting worse on that front as time goes on and I was really hoping after the bunny outfit that they were going to be better about it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Taro Yoko has made precisely one unambiguously good game. The worship is a bit overblown, even if I like him on a personal level.

This crossover could still be a dud.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Verranicus posted:

Doing the whole "what if the player was actually doing bad stuff???" thing in every game isn't insightful.

Failboattootoot posted:

I am sure some irony lord will be in here shortly to well actually that his thoughts are sub philosophy 101 tier and lol at caring about a video game story but don't @me you boor.

Great White Hope!
Nov 12, 2006

Azubah posted:

My concern is that Soken won't get to remix man with the machine gun.

I swear I've been waiting for this as an orchestrion gently caress Soken just give it to us already

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Verranicus posted:

No but adding in "What if what I'm doing is good? Do I even care anymore?" is. The answer to it all is "its the idiot holding the controller who is at fault for everything you think you would have learned this last time".

People like different things, for example I like the red skirt and people that don't can glam actual pants on and they won't be able to see them just like the male version because the boots are long as hell anyway. The reverse is true too! I could glam 40 different skirts on this sonofabitch and people could have the boring male pants on the female model baseline!

Perspective!

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

The Grimace posted:

Wow this new Everquest 2 expansion looks great

I just want to take the time to show my appreciation for this post.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

My concern is that we'll never see Eyes on Me and Man with the Machine Gun played completely unremixed during every fight.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Verranicus posted:

He's not especially interested in doing Spec Ops: The Line sucker punches where the developer sneeringly tut-tuts you for enjoying video game violence. Nier and Nier: Automata make it clear that you're committing incredible amounts of violence (and, in Automata, it's clear within the first 10 minutes you're doing it against sentient beings), but it doesn't shy away from the fact that this violence is strangely compelling. His games are far more concerned with why people commit violence - what ultimately drives and compels them - rather than merely making moral judgments.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Yoko Taro designing the twenty-four man raid aligns perfectly with his goal to have his downfall this year and bring as many people possible with him.

https://www.siliconera.com/2018/12/20/yoko-taro-on-taking-humanity-down-with-him-destroying-a-god-the-usual-ambitions-for-2019/

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
The quest battle where you play Gunbreaker Thancred will start with Eyes on Me and end with a 240 BPM thrash remix of Man With the Machine Gun

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
After playing KH3, I would be okay with 80 BLM's newest Flare launching all the fireworks we get at all enemies.

Also: when will Ff14 get a dubstep theme song?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Rastan Beeza posted:

Also: when will Ff14 get a dubstep theme song?

No.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I will never tire of thigh high boots

Make them even higher, I won't be happy until every character is in kuribo's shoe

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

If everyone is changing jobs and Thancred is a Gunbreaker now, which of your allies is going to class change to Dancer?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Rhonne posted:

If everyone is changing jobs and Thancred is a Gunbreaker now, which of your allies is going to class change to Dancer?

Lyse, she's already wearing what looks like Dancer gear. Yeah she's a monk now, but that is just because she was originally pretending to be Yda. I'm still hopeful, at least!

Great White Hope!
Nov 12, 2006

Rhonne posted:

If it's not Aymeric I will be sorely upset.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Relax Or DIE posted:

Make them even higher, I won't be happy until every character is in kuribo's shoe

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Relax Or DIE posted:

:hai:

Countblanc posted:

This seems like it'd have the opposite effect

Argas posted:

No one cared who he was until he put on the mask.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Rhonne posted:

Alphinaud

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Taro Yoko has made precisely one unambiguously good game. The worship is a bit overblown, even if I like him on a personal level.

Even his one game that plays remotely well, the actual gameplay isn't really going to be the reason why you like it. Dude does a lot of really interesting stuff with his stories and worlds, even when the game itself sucks

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

That's precisely why I think it'll be good. I already like FF14's gameplay, so he can play to his strengths here.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I hope they let Yoko Taro guest write for the fishing questline

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Yoko Taro is better known for his crazy scenarios and stories even if the games themselves at times aren't great.

Think of it this way; there is a reason people still talk about loving Drakengard in 2019, and it's not because of its budget Dynasty Warriors/Panzer Dragoon gameplay.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Nier and Nier Automata are two of those few games where you really cannot get the "full" experience without playing the game. I mean, watching a LP with a LPer that brings these things up might suffice as a substitute but they're very much games that are more than the sum of its parts. I hesitate to say they're profound because, well, they're really not. But they're a step above most by making the most of the medium. They're often poorly made games too and I think the jankiness plays a role in making the experience unique.

Not everyone will like it and that's fine.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

MechaX posted:

Yoko Taro is better known for his crazy scenarios and stories even if the games themselves at times aren't great.

Think of it this way; there is a reason people still talk about loving Drakengard in 2019, and it's not because of its budget Dynasty Warriors/Panzer Dragoon gameplay.

I think this goes back into the split of people who care about "gameplay above all else" vs those that feel that "an incredible story can make up for bad gameplay."

I'm firmly in the latter camp. I need the story to be good for me to care about the game. A bad story is far more poisonous to me than bad gameplay.

But there are those that feel that if the gameplay isn't stellar, they won't even give the story a chance. (Then there's also the third camp that will never give a gently caress about any story in any game ever, no matter what.)

Gameplay-wise, there is only one Yoko Taro game I can recommend without reservations or qualifiers.
Story-wise, he's never really made a bad game.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

I'm still not wrong.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Verranicus posted:

And when you say this it really shows that you didn't actually play the game. You should probably just accept no one likes your opinion and stop here.

Don't be the shitter at the picnic, let people be excited for the day at least. Cripes.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

MechaX posted:

While true, I don't really think his stuff suits the FF14 game world and will probably tonally jarring. Which is kind of the ongoing problem with the super blatant crossovers (Ivalice, Omega) is that they're just too drat in your face and don't feel at home in the game.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
is auto-demolition for houses is paused still? if so, is there any word on when they'll start that up again?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Here's a high quality screenshot of our big kitty goth gf

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

While true, I don't really think his stuff suits the FF14 game world and will probably tonally jarring. Which is kind of the ongoing problem with the super blatant crossovers (Ivalice, Omega) is that they're just too drat in your face and don't feel at home in the game.
So what, they're fun

strong bird
May 12, 2009

I never played any of the stuff omega or ivalice is referencing and none of it ever felt any more out of place than usual raids which teleport you to some fantastical place with big beasts to beat up

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah I don't think there's anything tonally off about Omega or Ivalice at all?

FFXIV has a wide variety of tones

strong bird
May 12, 2009

That being said I don't care about Toru Yanu and him being involved isn't a selling point for me

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Rhonne posted:

How can it be anyone but tataru?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

lol ff14 takes itself about as seriously as the average monty python film and it makes it easy to pull this kind of poo poo off without being silly and it's the best.