Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I grabbed it from apkpure and it worked fine. Am i missing something or do you have to pick your free 4-star based entirely on a cropped drawing and a little symbol?

Google? :eng101:

But seriously, I think that's it unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I grabbed it from apkpure and it worked fine. Am i missing something or do you have to pick your free 4-star based entirely on a cropped drawing and a little symbol?

Pick Ciel, he can be promoted to 5* eventually. You already get Miyu free.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Well I got some weirdo whose life-goal is to be the fightingest housewife there ever was :shrug: She'll cook, she'll clean, she'll slaughter my enemies like wheat before the scythe

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Apparently the 5 star I got is literally the single most important character to get in the entire roster, as the hands down best healer who is also pretty drat good at single target nuking. So uh, that's cool.

Dunno if I'm really going to stick it out though, the game mechanics are just too dang simple. I gave it more than a fair shake but as it is I'm not exactly enthused about it. Doesn't help that upgrading the star value of characters is like... Absurdly, insanely grindy and random. To such an extent that it feels incongruous.

I might post my save here if I give up for someone to pick up if they want it, due to apk weirdness I never connected it to my account. Dunno yet.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Infinity Gaia posted:

Apparently the 5 star I got is literally the single most important character to get in the entire roster, as the hands down best healer who is also pretty drat good at single target nuking. So uh, that's cool.

Dunno if I'm really going to stick it out though, the game mechanics are just too dang simple. I gave it more than a fair shake but as it is I'm not exactly enthused about it. Doesn't help that upgrading the star value of characters is like... Absurdly, insanely grindy and random. To such an extent that it feels incongruous.

I might post my save here if I give up for someone to pick up if they want it, due to apk weirdness I never connected it to my account. Dunno yet.

if you do drop the game, i'd gladly take that account, i have the worst rerolling brainworms imaginable and this game is awful to reroll in

Presteign
Aug 8, 2004
consent is overrated

I'm enjoying the game so far, though it is pretty simple. I'm worried about later in the game since apparently the later content gets hard enough you need one of the gacha healers because the one the game gives for free doesn't have a 5 star upgrade. I almost have enough for a 10 pull so hopefully I can get something good there. I'f I can't get a good healer from the free pulls I get then I'll just stop playing when I hit a wall. No way I'm paying anything for a pure single player gacha.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Infinity Gaia posted:

Uh which character is that tho?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Mariel. Personality and design wise she's pretty bland but whatever.

Man, getting class changes is REALLY grindy, and not only is it grindy, it's real life time limited! Why is it so limiting in a single player game!?

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

The man, the legend, reports on his latest game, dropping tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/tonyhawk/status/1090768571397898242

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I changed my party composition around a bit in Another Eden and just now I realized that the repeatable hardmode dungeons require you to have a certain amount of LIGHT or DARK to get bonus reward items. Which you can only gain by getting repeats of characters. In a game with a gacha so expensive I've only been able to do it twice in... Quite a few hours now. This game has some BAFFLING decisions in it, and yet I keep playing it for some reason.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
The Escapists 2 is now available.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.team17.escapists2

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
That mobile Mario Kart game that was meant to out late March, early April-ish has now been delayed to northern summer.

https://twitter.com/Nintendo/status/1090869212317433857?s=19

Bing Translation posted:

The "Mario Kart Tour" app for Smartphones will be scheduled to be delivered in summer 2019 to improve the quality of the app and to expand the service content after delivery.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jan 31, 2019

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I changed my party composition around a bit in Another Eden and just now I realized that the repeatable hardmode dungeons require you to have a certain amount of LIGHT or DARK to get bonus reward items. Which you can only gain by getting repeats of characters. In a game with a gacha so expensive I've only been able to do it twice in... Quite a few hours now. This game has some BAFFLING decisions in it, and yet I keep playing it for some reason.

Not small amounts either, I think it said 50 light and 70 dark for the other tiers?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Another Eden chat: It doesn't feel like a "do all the things right now!!" game, its more of a slow burn - which I really like. I don't feel like I'm missing something if I'm not playing it all the time like some gachas. I did drop the $20 to get the guaranteed 5-star summon early on and got some badass necromancer chick, then with my first earned multi-summon I got a cool pirate girl and a druid who can go from 4 to 5, so I might be sitting prettier than most. I'm digging the hell out of it though.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

New Leaf posted:

Another Eden chat: It doesn't feel like a "do all the things right now!!" game, its more of a slow burn - which I really like. I don't feel like I'm missing something if I'm not playing it all the time like some gachas. I did drop the $20 to get the guaranteed 5-star summon early on and got some badass necromancer chick, then with my first earned multi-summon I got a cool pirate girl and a druid who can go from 4 to 5, so I might be sitting prettier than most. I'm digging the hell out of it though.

I did the same and got Toova as well. She seems really solid. I ended up springing for another pull because I was digging it and ended up with a dupe Lokido, taking him to 5*, too. I have this 4* bard I like the look of, but I dunno how she'd fit into my team. Miyu's a workhorse for me, but she's a little redundant and that "I'm coming!" line makes me want to mute my phone in public.

Also, thing I learned is that those scrolls are for levelling up units. It's not exactly obvious, but they're pretty nice. Would have made the chapter 10 boss a lot easier.

The one thing I will say is that I wish there was an easy way to just look at my units. I wanted to scan through and see what abilities people could get before I invested, but it's a hassle. I guess the Boards page is as close as it gets.

I'm also seeing a lot of potential for elemental or weapon-type teams. Debuffing is really core to the whole combat system. Stun in particular is really good on Lokido, since he's so fast. But Miyu's elemental debuffing combined with everyone getting some sort of elemental hit makes Aldo and Cyrus shine.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 31, 2019

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I also did the GSSR pull, but got that narcoleptic/slacker mage kid, who doesn't seem that great to me.

I was halfway through clearing all of the side quests in the first ancient past village before I got enough free gems to do another multipull though, which seems like too long to me, but I'm also used to the more immediate gratification method of gacha pulls.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Are any of the giant roaming monsters supposed to be beatable the first time you encounter them? It showed the encounter system as having a Red>Orange>Blue rating or something, but I've never seen anything other than Red.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I don't think so. I just started taking down the ones in the first area, they're low 20s and are guarding level appropriate gear.

You can juke some of them to get them early, though.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Do goons play Alchemist Code? It looked like an FFT-like and I am extremely into that. Or is the game/economy bad?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I didn't know it existed, and I'm downloading it now. I've been looking for a F2P PvP FFT-like game.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

the_steve posted:

I also did the GSSR pull, but got that narcoleptic/slacker mage kid, who doesn't seem that great to me.

I was halfway through clearing all of the side quests in the first ancient past village before I got enough free gems to do another multipull though, which seems like too long to me, but I'm also used to the more immediate gratification method of gacha pulls.

Apparently that kid is highly valued for his ability to rapidly clear trash encounters later on, when you're just grinding dungeons over and over, so that's quite lucky.

I'm getting by as a pure F2P and am getting pretty close to my third pull in the area past the Present castle, though I did take some time to get some easy Collection crystals. Protip for other F2P's, you can get 10 free crystals a day by looking in the Paid Crystals section.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Star Traders: Frontiers has just been released on Android:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tresebrothers.games.startraders2

I haven't played it yet, but apparently its PC version is quite well-received.

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008

srulz posted:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tresebrothers.games.startraders2

I'm enjoying this more than previous versions, seems a bit more accessible and a bit more polished but I'm just loving around doing the storyline to get the hang of it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

GrandpaPants posted:

Do goons play Alchemist Code? It looked like an FFT-like and I am extremely into that. Or is the game/economy bad?

The game's real bad. I played it from launch until after the FATE collab (so a few months) and even to just get Gilgamesh's weapon to 4* to unlock Gate of Babylon took hours because the EX stages in events can be huge slogs even for max leveled and well geared high level characters. And you'll need to clear them dozens of times to fully grind up a weapon or character.

Maybe they rebalanced the game and made it actually fun in the last 6 months or however long it's been, but I doubt it. FEH and Langrisser are much better if you want a tactics/strategy game.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

srulz posted:

Oh nice, thanks for the heads up, now I have something to accumulate survey bucks for. I've enjoyed the two previous games, and this looks much better.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I bought Star Traders: Frontiers yesterday and so far I'm enjoying it, but maaaan is the onboarding not great. I still have only the foggiest idea of what I'm doing, and I think I just ran into a bug where a mission can't be completed. :(

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Star Traders: Frontiers is definitely one of those games where you want to read the wiki. The devs maintain it, and it actually pulls information from the game. Things like ship stats are automatically updated every time they update the game, and they update the game all the time. Pretty impressive for a game made by two brothers.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

This is the thread made a while back for the pc version of star trader frontiers which I picked up a lot of goon tips from:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856470

This is a top tier loving game and I don't mean to hate on the gachas too much I have had my share of FFRK and SMT brainworms, but this is a funny page for this actual real game to appear on.

Could be medicinal for some of you, jusy refund if it ain't for you. It is super deep though, maybe watch a let's play or something.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Feb 2, 2019

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

This is the thread made a while back for the pc version of star trader frontiers which I picked up a lot of goon tips from:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856470

This is a top tier loving game and I don't mean to hate on the gachas too much I have had my share of FFRK and SMT brainworms, but this is a funny page for this actual real game to appear on.

Could be medicinal for some of you, jusy refund if it ain't for you. It is super deep though, maybe watch a let's play or something.

Their other games are really solid too.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Got the notification about Tony Hawk Skate Jam today and the reviews are not very promising at all.

standard review posted:

Initially I gave it 3 stars. I said the graphics were poor and the controls clunky. But then they replied saying it was just tricky and there are tutorials. Many people got the same reply. Here's it in short. There is nothing genuinely good about the game. The gameplay, graphics, soundtrack, nothing

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Are there any other top tier games like this for Android? Doesn't need to be even remotely similar, I'm just tired of gachas, IAP, freemium, or just generally mind-numbing poo poo. I just bought this, and I have KoDP and that's basically it.

I don't mind ports, but I'm always worried they won't work well on phones.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

a7m2 posted:

Are there any other top tier games like this for Android? Doesn't need to be even remotely similar, I'm just tired of gachas, IAP, freemium, or just generally mind-numbing poo poo. I just bought this, and I have KoDP and that's basically it.

The Squeenix ports are all pretty solid, basically any of the Square-Enix games that aren't free. But I'd wait for a sale for most of them because the prices are pretty high for games that are 20+ years old. I own a good chunk of the SNES generation games and bought all of them at 50% off or so.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Rome Total War and XCOM are both good

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Rome Total War and XCOM are both good

They work well on a larger smartphone screen? Like the S9+?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Aight so I read the beginner's guide page on the Star Traders: Frontiers wiki then thought, "I'll hop into the game for a few minutes, get everything set up, and then spend my Saturday night watching a movie or something."

Four hours and two failed runs later and I'm addicted to this game. Once you learn your way around the UI (not sure if it's the same as the PC version), this game is a masterpiece for mobile. Single fee, no IAP or ads, and absolutely tons of stuff to do with high replayability.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Is Star Traders: Frontiers the same as Star Traders RPG / Star Traders Elite / NOT Star Traders 4x Empires the website is a little confusing and the link to the Play Store that's there does not appear to be an actual link to see if it's the same as the game that I own.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Potsticker posted:

Is Star Traders: Frontiers the same as Star Traders RPG / Star Traders Elite / NOT Star Traders 4x Empires the website is a little confusing and the link to the Play Store that's there does not appear to be an actual link to see if it's the same as the game that I own.

It is not the same game. It is far more polished and full of content, with a bunch of new systems and mechanics. Here are some screenies:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

It is not the same game. It is far more polished and full of content, with a bunch of new systems and mechanics.

Oh yeah, okay I see. I'll check out the thread for it, because that does look interesting. I already own like three Trese Brothers games and the only one I managed to put significant time into is Cyber Knight if only because of how dense they are to understand and get into.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

a7m2 posted:

I've heard great things about Vampire's Fall Origins, also I slam bought Templar Battleforce by the Star Traders devs which is like Xcom and Space Hulk in a similar indie style.

Oh yeah try Buried-Bornes which is a roguelike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Oh yeah try Buried-Bornes which is a roguelike.

Don't let the weird translation and retro style fool you either; BuriedBornes is incredibly good and deep.