Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
All property is theft, all consumption is unethical, every human is terrible. Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
lifehack: construct a guillotine with just three dozen soda cans, a hot glue gun, three two-by-fours, and a gallon of your own urine

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

neongrey posted:

lifehack: construct a guillotine with just three dozen soda cans, a hot glue gun, three two-by-fours, and a gallon of your own urine

Does this lifehack video entail you taking apart three perfectly working guillotines?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

neongrey posted:

Okay, I understand the urine part but what are the soda cans for?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Queen Combat posted:

Okay, I understand the urine part but what are the soda cans for?

Something for you and the audience to drink on a hot day of guillotining

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Powered Descent posted:

Life hack: make up your own definitions for words, so you can deliberately misunderstand people who use the word in its normal sense, and you can feel offended.

This morning I swept the porch and vacuumed the living room, but nobody'd call me a housekeeper. Then I went out and weeded the area by the back walk, but nobody's gonna say I'm the groundskeeper. Last week I painted a wall in my bedroom, but I'm no painter.

But apparently you rent one room one time and you're a landlord. Huh. Who'd have thunk. I mean, nobody aside from you and like two other posters here, but like, wouldn't it be weird if we lived in a world where that word and that word alone were used differently than every other professional title?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Grassy Knowles posted:

I no longer understand what the urine's for.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Grassy Knowles posted:

It's important to stay hydrated. There are a lot of people who need guillotining.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

I'm gonna guess a big part of the issue is that rent costs way more than mortgage-- like a home that's $600/mo to own will be $2000/mo to rent, and the apartments in the area will be around $1200. People renting have trouble saving up a down payment to buy a house because rent is so drat high, so they get stuck renting for a long time. The whole system is completely hosed besides good and bad landlords.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Scathach posted:

I'm gonna guess a big part of the issue is that rent costs way more than mortgage-- like a home that's $600/mo to own will be $2000/mo to rent, and the apartments in the area will be around $1200. People renting have trouble saving up a down payment to buy a house because rent is so drat high, so they get stuck renting for a long time. The whole system is completely hosed besides good and bad landlords.

Of course rent costs more than a mortgage, because a mortgage isn't the whole cost of owning property. There's property taxes, insurance, regular maintenance and occasional big ticket expenses, plus your time if you put any value on your time. Yeah there's still a markup, but it may not be as good a deal as the mortgage ads lead you to believe when they say owning is cheaper then renting.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

Of course rent costs more than a mortgage, because a mortgage isn't the whole cost of owning property. There's property taxes, insurance, regular maintenance and occasional big ticket expenses, plus your time if you put any value on your time. Yeah there's still a markup, but it may not be as good a deal as the mortgage ads lead you to believe when they say owning is cheaper then renting.

This is why we still rent, actually. We did math and determined that buying in our area and market would be much more expensive than continuing the rent from our friends.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Life Hack: Post Life Hack content to the Life Hack thread in hope that people will stop loving debating capitalism.

Other Life Hack: Make earrings out of your AirPods.

Upside: Harder to lose your AirPods, maybe?

Downside: Ugly earrings. Also, people lose earrings on the reg. Also, they cost $20.

Kudos to her for her Shopify store name, though.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 04:11 on Feb 4, 2019

Slowflake
Aug 18, 2010

Also, Bluetooth headphones with buttons and a mic exist. But who cares about all that function when there's so much ~fashionable~ form!!!
Points for trying to unfuck a bad idea to begin with I guess.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Did y'all ever invite a lifehacker into your home? What did they do?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

AlbieQuirky posted:

Life Hack: Post Life Hack content to the Life Hack thread in hope that people will stop loving debating capitalism.

Other Life Hack: Make earrings out of your AirPods.

Upside: Harder to lose your AirPods, maybe?

Downside: Ugly earrings. Also, people lose earrings on the reg. Also, they cost $20.

Kudos to her for her Shopify store name, though.

loving new money.

Imagine worrying about losing your AirPods and not just having multiple replacements ready to go.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Karate Bastard posted:

Did y'all ever invite a lifehacker into your home? What did they do?

hacked my life, duh

like crash override on the gibson

mozman
Nov 3, 2010
I cannot for the life of me remember if "walla" came from this thread, and this isn't technically a lifehack, unless you take it as a lifehack to learn French? V'wol-ah!

Public page, not bothered to block out names.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

mozman posted:

I cannot for the life of me remember if "walla" came from this thread, and this isn't technically a lifehack, unless you take it as a lifehack to learn French? V'wol-ah!

Public page, not bothered to block out names.

The apostrophe makes it not even a correct phoenic spelling :psyduck:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I think "V'wol-ah" is the Klingon word for "stupid idea."

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
More like "bringing dishonor to your father's house", but same same

Like maybe you were getting together to do some renovations and you brought your hot glue gun or whatever

Karate Bastard has a new favorite as of 11:03 on Feb 18, 2019

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
2.20$ for Two Litres is still a 1$ a Litre.

1.10$ if you want to be precise.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

2.20$ for Two Litres is still a 1$ a Litre.

1.10$ if you want to be precise.

That is the entire point. It's $1.10/litre instead of $1/litre.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Buck-a-buttermilk

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Just make the bottles 10% smaller instead of changing the price.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Just make the bottles 10% smaller instead of changing the price.

The rage that would bring would be magical. There would be full scale riots.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

jobson groeth posted:

The rage that would bring would be magical. There would be full scale riots.

Isn't this already a real common tactic? My first job was at a corner store and I remember a lot of poo poo we stocked would slowly decrease in size and stay at the same price point without comment. It was when the price changed that we got riots. Even if it ended up at a better price per weight than it used to be.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

the ol' Grocery Shrink Ray.

man, I miss the consumerist

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

mozman posted:

How should she have properly segway'd in to that second sentence?

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Acute Grill posted:

Isn't this already a real common tactic? My first job was at a corner store and I remember a lot of poo poo we stocked would slowly decrease in size and stay at the same price point without comment. It was when the price changed that we got riots. Even if it ended up at a better price per weight than it used to be.

It's super common for most products but you go and buy milk by the litre and the product size has been uniform across brands for decades. If all of a sudden milk was 900ml people would go nuts.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

jobson groeth posted:

It's super common for most products but you go and buy milk by the litre and the product size has been uniform across brands for decades. If all of a sudden milk was 900ml people would go nuts.

Fair enough. The only thing I know about milk consumer behavior is that people have a pavlovian response to buy out my store's entire stock every time a big storm is coming for reasons I don't fully understand.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Acute Grill posted:

Fair enough. The only thing I know about milk consumer behavior is that people have a pavlovian response to buy out my store's entire stock every time a big storm is coming for reasons I don't fully understand.

You combine it with the bread and eggs (you also clean out) to make french toast!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Acute Grill posted:

You run out pretty quick. I've been snowed in for several weeks now (I cleared the driveway just in time for it to hit -20 (about -30 for those using a logical temperature scale) and then drop two feet of fresh snow as soon as it warmed up) and I'm down to two boxes of shelf-stable milk.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Stocking up on milk and bread before a snowed-in event makes no sense because milk and bread go bad faster than basically anything else you could stock up on. I've only been able to get to stores once every ten days or so lately so I buy stuff like potatoes, rice, and dried beans. What's the point of buying 10 days worth of poo poo that spoils in 4 days?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Maybe you have those stocks already, and so you just need to top off the perishables? #lifehack

No wait not lifehack. What's that word for something you can easily do to make your life easier?

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Karate Bastard posted:

Maybe you have those stocks already, and so you just need to top off the perishables? #lifehack

No wait not lifehack. What's that word for something you can easily do to make your life easier?

e: removing that it was a bit dark

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Stocking up on milk and bread before a snowed-in event makes no sense because milk and bread go bad faster than basically anything else you could stock up on. I've only been able to get to stores once every ten days or so lately so I buy stuff like potatoes, rice, and dried beans. What's the point of buying 10 days worth of poo poo that spoils in 4 days?

You know you can freeze bread and milk?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Sunswipe posted:

Not helpful if your power goes out, though.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
"The power's out! If only there were some other way to keep things frozen in this icy wasteland!"

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Sunswipe posted:

Have you tasted milk that's been frozen and then thawed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

evobatman posted:

Have you tasted milk that's been frozen and then thawed?

Many, many times as a kid growing up. It’s not great, but it’s not horrible especially if you’re using it for cereal or something. I don’t recall living in a state of constant milk-revulsion.