Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will be #1 Pick?
DE Nick Bosa
DT Quinnen Williams
White Quarterback
Kicker...yeah...definitely the Kicker
View Results

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

weird Asian candy posted:

I mean are we really surprised that the fastest man on the planet and who has spent his entire adult life training for sprints would tie the fastest nfl player without even trying?

Not disagreeing but it's not that simple. Usain Bolt doesn't run 40 meters at a time and he doesn't plan his take off and stride around it. I know it's easy to say "he's the fastest man alive of course he can run a 40 faster" but there's a difference in the energy systems used and when top level sprinters reach their top speed.

Like Usain Bolt doesn't even reach his top speed during a 40. He's trained to hit it around 60 meters in. Using this handy dandy chart from UC Davis it looks like he can hit around 11.5 meters a second at the very end of the 40. I'm sure if he specifically trained for the 40 he would be even faster. I'm also pretty sure that time isn't legit and was probably a bit slower, but still insane since he's an insane human being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Usain Bolt is slow now

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Bolt also doesn't get out of the blocks out all that well (but good enough) since he's 6'6, which matters a lot more in a 40 than the 100/200

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I hope my team drafts Usain Bolt.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Doltos posted:

Not disagreeing but it's not that simple. Usain Bolt doesn't run 40 meters at a time and he doesn't plan his take off and stride around it. I know it's easy to say "he's the fastest man alive of course he can run a 40 faster" but there's a difference in the energy systems used and when top level sprinters reach their top speed.

Like Usain Bolt doesn't even reach his top speed during a 40. He's trained to hit it around 60 meters in. Using this handy dandy chart from UC Davis it looks like he can hit around 11.5 meters a second at the very end of the 40. I'm sure if he specifically trained for the 40 he would be even faster. I'm also pretty sure that time isn't legit and was probably a bit slower, but still insane since he's an insane human being.

Yeah I hear you, and I get that it's two different trainings for two different events (40yd vs 100m or 200m) but at the end of the day he is still 6'6" and is fast as gently caress. I wonder what he would run if he devoted a few months to training for a 40...

That said, it didn't *look like* a 4.22 but maybe it's camera angles. Also...

Mega64 posted:

I hope my team drafts Usain Bolt.

e:

Was curious, Bolt's top end speed is nearly 28mph. Last year's top player speed was Breida at 22.09. Granted, Bolt had on next to nothing, Breida had full pads and helmet on and was being chased by large men trying kill him but interesting...

weird Asian candy fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 2, 2019

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

James Jett was a productive WR in the NFL just being Olympic fast. He was not 6’6” though.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I don’t know that Bolt would have a role in the NFL, but he would be the best baseball punch runner ever.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Bigass Moth posted:

I don’t know that Bolt would have a role in the NFL, but he would be the best baseball punch runner ever.

Probably not really, if you're thinking like stolen bases. Don't get me wrong, he'd be dangerous for sure, but a lot of fast guys kinda suck at stealing bases since a lot of it is reading the pitcher. And since he's probably never played baseball at all (or at least seriously) I'd imagine he'd have trouble with that. Bo and Deion, while not olympic sprinters exactly both extremely fast men, were pretty meh base stealers.

I kinda like his place trying to break in as a soccer player in his retirement. He grew up with the sport and if nothing else if he's even with a defender at midfield he's going to get to a good ball before that defender does.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 3, 2019

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
But what if we put Usnain Bolt on ice skates?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Grittybeard posted:

Probably not really, if you're thinking like stolen bases. Don't get me wrong, he'd be dangerous for sure, but a lot of fast guys kinda suck at stealing bases since a lot of it is reading the pitcher. And since he's probably never played baseball at all (or at least seriously) I'd imagine he'd have trouble with that. Bo and Deion, while not olympic sprinters exactly both extremely fast men, were pretty meh base stealers.

I kinda like his place trying to break in as a soccer player in his retirement. He grew up with the sport and if nothing else if he's even with a defender at midfield he's going to get to a good ball before that defender does.

Deion running the bases was a thing of beauty but man watching Ricky swipe base after base was so fun.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Usain would be an amazing receiver simply because he’d command an over the top deep safety every time because he’s so big and he’s faster than anyone at that position

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

weird Asian candy posted:

That said, it didn't *look like* a 4.22 but maybe it's camera angles. Also...

Bolt as a sprinter is known for how long his stride is. That's why it didn't look like Tyreek Hill who is 5-10 on his best day and has to use a lot more strides to get to the same spot.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Amy Pole Her posted:

Usain would be an amazing receiver simply because he’d command an over the top deep safety every time because he’s so big and he’s faster than anyone at that position

Would he be a WR or Cornerback? He probably couldn’t take hits for long but deep he’d probably intercept or own a lot of WRs cause he’s 6’6”. They couldn’t air it out.

Gronk would demolish him but if he has strong hands I’d wonder if he could come away with contests.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Gatts posted:

Would he be a WR or Cornerback? He probably couldn’t take hits for long but deep he’d probably intercept or own a lot of WRs cause he’s 6’6”. They couldn’t air it out.

Gronk would demolish him but if he has strong hands I’d wonder if he could come away with contests.

Feel like he would be Ted Ginn 4.0

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

some of the fastest and hottest dudes would still fall on their rear end if a good route runner cut on them. how much discipline is had By usain? how is his agility? He should be considered a project and taken on day 2

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Also how many 2 car garages would compare to his range and wingspan? It is Calvin Johnson like?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Not sure how many watched LCU, but Ronald Ollie declared

https://twitter.com/RonaldOllie/status/1092467687320682496

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

pretty sure Bolt played soccer down here for some australian team that signed him because ? , I don't really know cause eurokickyball is gay

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

We all ought to learn a bit about gay things

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Pre-combine draft profiles/draft grades are going up

https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/prospects

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Re: TE’s from Iowa, why is Hock rated that highly, especially over Fant? Blocking skills?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Fat Jesus posted:

pretty sure Bolt played soccer down here for some australian team that signed him because ? , I don't really know cause eurokickyball is gay

Yeah they gave him some kind of dumb fun contract and let him run around when games were already over

Drew a few extra asses in seats but he was terrible.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Abugadu posted:

Re: TE’s from Iowa, why is Hock rated that highly, especially over Fant? Blocking skills?

That'd be my argument. Blocking is nice on it's own, but the ability to play as a credible in-line player is a big part of why the position is difficult to defend in the passing game.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
KYLER YOU MORON

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

He chose football. Good for him.

https://twitter.com/TheKylerMurray/status/1095016263473119232

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Hope he doesn't die.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

What in the unholy gently caress

WIDE.RECEIVER

https://twitter.com/BunkiePerkins/status/1095043420522008578

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

and popped for roids before he even gets to the combine

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Kalli posted:

What in the unholy gently caress

WIDE.RECEIVER

https://twitter.com/BunkiePerkins/status/1095043420522008578

WIDE receiver lmao

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

thanos looking motherfucker

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
David Boston 2.0

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Finally, the Vernon Gholston of wide receivers

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

DariusLikewise posted:

David Boston 2.0

6'4" 230 runs a 4.46 lol

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

DariusLikewise posted:

David Boston 2.0

i was looking for a different picture and found this

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ahhhhh LaRon Landry. What happened to that dude?

e: oh

2015 season
On November 24, 2015, Landry was suspended for testing positive for PEDs, his third such violation of the league's performance-enhancing drug policy. This resulted in an indefinite ban as per league rules.[28] He will be eligible to apply for reinstatement 60 days before the 2 year anniversary of his suspension.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
What do you all think of old belicheck's friend, Bob Quinn,'s drafting thus far?

The guys the lions have missed onin the draft, or hit on and changed scheme to make useless, they're enough to make a grown man stick to bball and combat sports. Just give us aaron donald. There's a poor man's aaron donald in this draft, maybe they can take him.

Also, who do you all think has the best name tool in the draft? I really like Greedy Williams, but that's easy

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Kobe Bryant

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1095337763568705536

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Supposedly the Browns were extremely high on him. Welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dejan Bimble posted:

Also, who do you all think has the best name tool in the draft? I really like Greedy Williams, but that's easy

Also the best CB in the draft